Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

LUCK

man_in_mudboots

is luck real?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. is luck real?

• YES - it exists
    • NO - its bull
    • WHO CARES - who cares

luck probably predates religion. i dont think there is one person on earth that doesnt have have some sort of lucky belief, even if they wont admit it. i voted no.

hmm...luck is something very hard to put your finger on...I don't believe in it as some kind of 'force' that looks out for people, but I do believe that something can be 'lucky', or 'luck' can be considered a factor in events...

Luck, in my opinion, isn't so much any kind of tangable force, but simply a name applied to a set of benificial circumstances. Nothing in particular may cause these circumstances, but it'll still be put down to the ever enigmatic idea of 'luck'.

Luck is one of those things like "Murphy's Law." It doesn't really exist per say; but at the same time it does blink.gif But then as long as I am lucky I don't give a hoot where it comes from grin2.gif

hmm...luck is something very hard to put your finger on...I don't believe in it as some kind of 'force' that looks out for people, but I do believe that something can be 'lucky', or 'luck' can be considered a factor in events...

dito

dito

I agree to but Its Ditto

Yes "luck" does exist but only as term for something random going in you're favour.

Thats exactly what the last three posts said....

Yes "luck" does exist, but only as term for something random going in you're favour.

if i was webster and i had to define luck, that would be what id write.

Erm......... I actually believe in luck. Not the white rabbits' foot kind of luck, but the power of positive thinking.

Thinking happy, being happy, and striving to make other people happy makes good luck.

Sheeeeeeesh, I know that sounds really cheesy ......

Happy-Go-Lucky Hammy x x x

I caught a bit of an interview with Dr Richard Wiseman a week or two ago in which he seemed to be suggesting he could teach people to be lucky.

Interestingly I noticed his book on 'Luck' was recently being sold off substantially lower than the cover price. wink2.gif

Don't ask me where I got this information from as I can't recall it , however somebody did a study somewhere once whistling2.gif that showed people who are more likely to start random conversations and try new foods and experiences without hesitation , are far more likely to have what would be concidered good luck .

I guess this is beause they open themselves up to more opportunities than most of us might .

showed people who are more likely to start random conversations and try new foods and experiences without hesitation , are far more likely to have what would be concidered good luck . I guess this is beause they open themselves up to more opportunities than most of us might .

that would explain why we have the worse luck ever (or what you would call luck). we are terribly antisocial(therefore we dont meet any people we dont know if we dont have to) very fixed in our habits and schedules and diets.

mm, Maybe Red Dwarf was right!, It could be a sought of virus? we loose it when we have created anti bodies? it then mutates and we catch it later.

Erm......... I actually believe in luck. Not the white rabbits' foot kind of luck, but the power of positive thinking.

Thinking happy, being happy, and striving to make other people happy makes good luck.

Sheeeeeeesh, I know that sounds really cheesy ......

Not cheesy at all Hammy....It is the truth!

Luck happens....mostly as a matter of accessing opportunites at hand.

My sister always finds a place to park at the mall up close. Lucky?

She told me (and I have found it to be true) that if you expect

to find a parking place up close, you always will.

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

post-69-1074649273.gif

so if i expect to get good grades, win the lotto and score with beautiful women, i will?

uh....If you expect to get good grades and study hard you will!

Lottery? Hmmmmmmmm...if you blindfold yourself and stand in the middle

of a basketball court and turn around twenty times real fast and then throw

the basketball and expect it to go in one of the baskets.......yeah, sure. blink.gif

If you expect to score with beautiful women and you go where beautiful

women are....(and you bath first and don't act goofy) ...yeah, sure! thumbsup.gif

On the other hand........if it weren't for bad luck.....

....I wouldn't have no luck at all....

post-69-1074662331.gif

you make your own "luck". Like joc said by "accessing opportunites at hand."

Bathory, winning the Lotto is called "chance"... that's why only people who suck a math play! wink2.gif

"Destiny and Fate" as my grandma put it, is somthing you can't change...you can void it for a while, but it will always catch up with you.

luck could be a sought of virus? we loose it when we have created anti bodies? it then mutates and we catch it later.

hmm, interesting, not at all plausible....... but interesting original.gif .

*many may wonder how a bucket of swamp water like myself would know enough to spell antibodies, let alone know what they are. my mother is a dermatologist, and i had a good ed-ju-ca-shun! laugh.gifgrin2.giftongue.giflaugh.gifgrin2.giftongue.gif *

as a believer in energy, i think that part of luck is energy related.

for example if you are a positive person you shold attract negative energy (im not saying negative luck here just energy) but as a positive person you get on with life and see these small negativities as nothing,

however if you are a negative person the reverse happens but all too often a negative person will overlook the positive because of a state of mind, which is y when something great happens they see it as good luck because it is the one thing which is positive that they actually sit up and take notice of.

so i think what im trying to say (and badly) is that whether you are positive or not its not the luck u actually look for, its the frame of mind you are in, and what u expect from life which effects whether the luck is good or bad for you personally!

ph34r.gif

• 19 years later...
On 1/17/2004 at 7:07 AM, man_in_mudboots said:

luck probably predates religion. i dont think there is one person on earth that doesnt have have some sort of lucky belief, even if they wont admit it. i voted no.

I view luck as a 2 part phenomenon: on one hand it’s human belief/desire for something extraordinary to happen; on the other hand is jealousy as if one can be more lucky than another one. 
It’s almost like when we don’t take any responsibility and just “wish” for something to happen or simply feel “jealousy” for someone’s else luck. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, netindtm said:

I view luck as a 2 part phenomenon: on one hand it’s human belief/desire for something extraordinary to happen; on the other hand is jealousy as if one can be more lucky than another one. 
It’s almost like when we don’t take any responsibility and just “wish” for something to happen or simply feel “jealousy” for someone’s else luck. 

Good post but this thread is almost 20 years old. The OP hasn't been around forever and necro-posting is frowned upon.🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Piney said:

Good post but this thread is almost 20 years old. The OP hasn't been around forever 

Too bad, judging from what he wrote in his profile he sounded pretty cool.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1