Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3
emerja

Buddhist monk heart beat decrease?

14 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I've been searching this site for nearly an hour now, and despite a lot of good reading, I wasn't able to find what I was looking for.

Recently a friend of me and I agreed on a bet dealing with buddhist monks.

I'm very sure that I have recently read about some buddhist monks that, by meditating, deliberately can lower their heart beat frequence to a mere eight - 8 - beats/minute!

8 beats per minute!!

I haven't had any success looking it up on the Internet, but then again, my English is not perfect, so perhaps someone from this forum can help me?

I'm really looking forward to see if any of you guys have come upon any articles, books, magazines, web sites or anything like that which can support my claim.

THANK YOU,

Emil Jacobi, Denmark

Wow, that seems extreme! I know that when I meditate or do some forms of yoga, I can significantly lower my heartrate. Not to 8 beats a minute though!! I'll be interested to hear more!

Interesting Read

Couldnt really find what you're looking for outright ... but that article may help ... I never read it all.

its easy to control your heart if you cocentrate on your heart beat it can increase or decrease number of beat but this is potiential damaging to your heart and if you have a weak heart it could lead to yourself being taken to a hospital or even death. when i was younger i experiments with my heart a few times i found that i could almost entirely stop my heart it was fascinating yet very painful and i got an odd expirence from it i felt like i was dying for a second and afew a few mins i felt different like i just had new found energy. it is best to aviod doing such experiments on your own body after all you don't know what the concequences might be.

Edited by chris57
1 person likes this

I would be very wary of doing such a thing (not implying that you are going to Emerja mind! :) )

As far as I am aware, there are certain muscles within the human body that work irrespective of whether we will it or not. The heart is one of those and if someone were able to slow their heartbeat, they would be interferring with its natural movement - do it too often and the person could find that their heart will not know what the hell it is doing.

I have no trouble, however, with believing that some people can do it - Buddhist monks included, but I should imagine they would have had years and years of training and meditation to be able to do this and I should also imagine that they would be fully aware of all the risks involved.

I too, looked around the internet for the 8 beats per minute thing, but was unable to find anything :(

Edited by Lotus Flower

im not surprised if other animals can feign death [hibernate]

then why not mentally slow the heart

Thank you for your replies. I still haven't found "evidence" of the phenomena, but it does seem reasonable that training would enable you to perform it.

Don't worry, I'm not going to try it out myself, Lotus Flower :)

Anyway, I found the article from Gene Browne interesting even though it wasn't quite what I was looking for.

Thank you guys,

Emerja

David blaine made his hearth pulse stopped for 10 sec on Carson daly.Nothing new.

This is very possible, but not recommended. Strong concentration can be used to take control over parts of your body that are normally operating en-auto. You can even move blood from one hand to the other to the point where your skin in one hand starts to turn pale and your skin in the other begins to "blush". Its not a good idea though. Theirs a reason why your body handles those things automatically.

I always thought Buddhist monks were totally cool.

I always thought Buddhist monks were totally cool.

There is the deep sea diving champion he can stop his heart beat to 7 beats a min its sometimes useful but risky like making psy balls and similiar stuff conected with the brain and the parts of your body you dont control!

Slowing one's heartbeat is definitely possible. It can be done with certain breathing practices that are sometimes taught to people who experience racing heart syndrome. However, slowing one's heart to 8 beats a minute sounds like a very tall tale...

Hi all,

there is a person that hold the world record for "holding your breath" That person inhales pure oxygen and puts his head under watter for 20min.

20min with one breath. As far as I can remember he goes down to 4 bpm...

If he inhales normal air he can stay for 9min under watter, same bpm...

LordRayden