Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BriandG

Does the Universe Exist if We're Not Looking?

8 posts in this topic

Wow, just wow. linked-image

After reading this paragraph:

Wheeler is gracious to a fault; one colleague describes him as "a gentleman hidden inside a gentleman." But that courtly demeanor also hides something else: one of the most adventurous minds in physics. Instead of shying away from questions about the meaning of it all, Wheeler relishes the profound and the paradoxical. He was an early advocate of the anthropic principle, the idea that the universe and the laws of physics are fine-tuned to permit the existence of life. For the past two decades, though, he has pursued a far more provocative idea for an idea, something he calls genesis by observership. Our observations, he suggests, might actually contribute to the creation of physical reality. To Wheeler we are not simply bystanders on a cosmic stage; we are shapers and creators living in a participatory universe.

I'm now wondering if this might be an answer to the age old question, "What's the meaning/purpose of life?". If this hypothesis is correct the purpose of our existence may be creation itself!

Interesting to say.

In the double-slit experiment, what are used as detectors ?

Maybe the detectors have an effect on the photons ?

Very interesting topic.

Edit: Just read the rest of the article. Wow! The possibillities. :wacko:

Edited by Rocket88

So, in the experiment, is it the Human observers who caused the Photon to behave like a particle or was it the detectors? What would happen if it were only the detectors there, would the Photon behave like a particle or a wave?

Personally, I find it hard to believe that we create the Universe simply by observation. It strikes too much of the religious belief of Humans being the 'chosen of Gods children. I find it difficult to believe that the second hill wasn't already there before I climbed the first hill.

All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. We are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

-Bill Hicks

I don't believe in a god separate from nature and everything else in the universe.

The universe is just trying to know itself by taking physical form. Consciousness creates reality by the very act of being conscious. The great truth about humanity is that we all have the same infinite power that created all reality.

Humans are not "children of god". They ARE god.

This is nothing new either. Mystics and philosophers have been preaching this for millennia.

Lilly is right. The point of existence is simply creation.

Edited by Reptilian

Here's a real easy to understand video, explaining the double-slit experiment.

I posted it in it's own thread a while ago.

Also, eastern mystics have always spoken about everything in the universe being one.

Watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Dq454iFp2c...feature=related

Edited by Reptilian