Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Beware the Burrunjor

Undeadskeptic

Honestly, that sounds about how I'd describe a Kangaroo to someone who'd never seen one.

Physce, I honestly wasn't aiming that at you, I DID NOT want a fight at all, and what I said I meant is, really, what I meant. I can tell you like a bit of debate and are good at getting off topic, but accuse someone of calling someone racist is sort of going a bit far. The way you described the medias potrayl of Aussies indigenious peoples was implying racism, that is what I meant. Im sorry for my bad typing, but come on Im only young, I have much to learn about computers ad what have you whippersnappers these days. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do NOT think of me and connect racist to me in any way, as that is not what I meant. Only one person thinks Im racist, my social studis teacher from year 9 because I didn't cry in Rabbit Proof Fence, lol.

But anywayz you are an interesting guy and a damn good debater, so Id hate for you to continue thinking ill of me, especially over somthing like the idiotic idea of a Dinosaur in the Outback.

Physce, I honestly wasn't aiming that at you, I DID NOT want a fight at all, and what I said I meant is, really, what I meant. I can tell you like a bit of debate and are good at getting off topic, but accuse someone of calling someone racist is sort of going a bit far. The way you described the medias potrayl of Aussies indigenious peoples was implying racism, that is what I meant. Im sorry for my bad typing, but come on Im only young, I have much to learn about computers ad what have you whippersnappers these days. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do NOT think of me and connect racist to me in any way, as that is not what I meant. Only one person thinks Im racist, my social studis teacher from year 9 because I didn't cry in Rabbit Proof Fence, lol.

But anywayz you are an interesting guy and a damn good debater, so Id hate for you to continue thinking ill of me, especially over somthing like the idiotic idea of a Dinosaur in the Outback.

Oh, no, I do not think ill of you at all, I am sure I said earlier that I believe we have exactly what we were discussing - a misunderstanding. I see what you mean here and may have been rather wary of your comment originally, as I have seen rasict comments in here before, I apologise too, as my communication is no better in this instance. I do not consider you rasict at all, I feel any thinking person see's red at the word rasict. I guess it is a compliment in a way as you sure caught my attention :tu: There are plenty of nuts in the "alien on earth" contingent that have no problem hurling insult at the slightst disagreement, and I guess that makes one rather vigilant as they wander in here on occassion for a good old troll. The few minds that tirelessly battle the waves of ignorance in there amaze me with their patience. Thank you for your kind words, I hope I can do them justice, I look forward to many more friendly debates with you, keep me on my toes, that's the way I like it ;) I apologise for the confusion.

Rabbit proof fence was a great movie :D Rather sad, but heck, real men don't cry! I didn;t either :) I rather liked that one. Check out Ten Canoes if you have the chance, that has some really funny parts in it. Good on you, keep up the studies, and question everything!

Edited by psyche101

Oh, no, I do not think ill of you at all, I am sure I said earlier that I believe we have exactly what we were discussing - a misunderstanding. I see what you mean here and may have been rather wary of your comment originally, as I have seen rasict comments in here before, I apologise too, as my communication is no better in this instance. I do not consider you rasict at all, I feel any thinking person see's red at the word rasict. I guess it is a compliment in a way as you sure caught my attention :tu: There are plenty of nuts in the "alien on earth" contingent that have no problem hurling insult at the slightst disagreement, and I guess that makes one rather vigilant as they wander in here on occassion for a good old troll. The few minds that tirelessly battle the waves of ignorance in there amaze me with their patience. Thank you for your kind words, I hope I can do them justice, I look forward to many more friendly debates with you, keep me on my toes, that's the way I like it ;) I apologise for the confusion.

Rabbit proof fence was a great movie :D Rather sad, but heck, real men don't cry! I didn;t either :) I rather liked that one. Check out Ten Canoes if you have the chance, that has some really funny parts in it. Good on you, keep up the studies, and question everything!

Cool, thanks for that. I look forward to those debates, I hope we have plenty! :D

I didn't like RPF because I felt it lost the realism as soon as they were taken from their tribe, but the end was very sad.

WTF do you mean real men don't cry? As much as I hate to admit, in 2007 I cried in:

-Spiderman3 (Twice)

-Edward Scissor Hands (Three times)

- King Kong

- Into the Wild

-Titanic <_<

- Forest Gump

- The Green Mile

See, guys can cry lol. Just very feminine guys is all... :rolleyes:

WTF do you mean real men don't cry? As much as I hate to admit, in 2007 I cried in:

-Spiderman3 (Twice)

-Edward Scissor Hands (Three times)

- King Kong

- Into the Wild

-Titanic <_<

- Forest Gump

- The Green Mile

See, guys can cry lol. Just very feminine guys is all... :rolleyes:

HOW ON EARTH DOES A MAN CRY THAT MUCH?!?!?!?!?!?! Only day I cried last year was when my dad died!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! well... step dad

Im allowed to cry as much as I like!!! Oh no, here I go again, *Sobs incontrolablly* Look what you've done now! I, sob, I hope you're ha, weep, happy!

Honestly, that sounds about how I'd describe a Kangaroo to someone who'd never seen one.

Actually, there WERE 2 meter tall, bipedal carnivorous kangaroos in Australia prior to the megafauna extinction, but the natives would have been intimately familiar with the fauna that surounded them, so if they said it was reptilian, it would have not been a knagaroo, nor a common goanna which they also knew.

This is also why it is so silly for skeptics to claim the cryptid reported in the Congo is a rhino or an elephant, the native people know those animals.

I'm not familiar with the Burrunjor. But I don't think it's impossible for a rare species of croc or monitor to be living in the outback. Megalania is rather large to remain hidden for the past 18,000 yrs. But it mught have cousins that are still aorund.

Edited by BigDaddy_GFS

I'm not familiar with the Burrunjor. But I don't think it's impossible for a rare species of croc or monitor to be living in the outback. Megalania is rather large to remain hidden for the past 18,000 yrs. But it mught have cousins that are still aorund.

Actually it does have a living cousin.

australia's largest 'known' monitor, the lace monitor is said by scientists to be closely related to Meg. So this might be the first monster reptile science could make, since they probably can get DNA out of 18,000 year old bone. Easier than 65 million year old bone, I should think.

Actually, there WERE 2 meter tall, bipedal carnivorous kangaroos in Australia prior to the megafauna extinction, but the natives would have been intimately familiar with the fauna that surounded them, so if they said it was reptilian, it would have not been a knagaroo, nor a common goanna which they also knew.

This is also why it is so silly for skeptics to claim the cryptid reported in the Congo is a rhino or an elephant, the native people know those animals.

Which large roo was carniverous? I thought only the small ones were meat eaters, I hadn't heard wich of the larger species were killers as well. The only one I know of was about the size of a dog? I will be in the far north mid this year, I will ask the naitives what they think about the Burrunjor. I'd like to know if this is supposed to be a dreatime creature. Procoptodon was large but not carniverous.

I find this very suspicious, good old Rex fare, involve aboriginal legend and then wreck the legend with tourist tales, meh. I am going to be asking the indigenous what they think of Rex as well while I am there as well.

Does anyone have a link to an indigenous infulenced website with more information on this creature? I won't get to the library for a few weeks, all I can find on the web is creationist stuff and Rex Gilroy related material. I'd like to be better informed when I get up there and ask around. If this is a dreamtime creature, I doubt any naitive feels this is a living T Rex. I think we have only found some smaller forms of raptor in that area, have any large Therepod fossils been found in the region? The closest find would be Victoria?

Regarding Mokele, what about the naitives that say it is a Rhino? More do say that than Dinosaur don't they?

Edited by psyche101

But this one is described as 25 foot tall and bipedal with small arms.

Living T Rex, nah, that I doubt. Large monitor, sure. Rex takes a stab at Megalania, but that fella was a qudraped, Rex's monster is supposedly Bipedal. Small arms do not fit Megalania's bill either, the only similarity is the length/height.

Sounds to me like Rex is trying to get people to believe in Aussie Outback T Rex's.

Wonder if he seen that T Rex Texas pic - the fella in a parka claiming to be a living Dinosaur.

Muttaburrasaurus anyone?

From Wyoming Outdoors Radio site's Gallery of Odd

Pig that was caught 300 kms south of Katherine (Australia). "They only caught it because their dogs were going missing and it was eating their dogs! Thanks to Duane for the pic." [Wyoming Outdoors Radio]

That's one big muthaofa snake!!! This picture is from Western Australia. The caption at WOR says that the unfortunate animal is a cow, but to me it looks like a wallaby. Good example of how easily misidentification can occur.

If you are scared of snakes PLEASE don't look. Carpet snake (?) Queensland or New South Wales (?). Close up of head and mouth.

Same snake. Full length body shot. Not as shocking as the mug shot.

Edited by Evangium

Muttaburrasaurus anyone?

From Wyoming Outdoors Radio site's Gallery of Odd

Pig that was caught 300 kms south of Katherine (Australia). "They only caught it because their dogs were going missing and it was eating their dogs! Thanks to Duane for the pic." [Wyoming Outdoors Radio]

That's one big muthaofa snake!!! This picture is from Western Australia.

If you are scared of snakes PLEASE don't look. Carpet snake (?) Queensland or New South Wales (?). Close up of head and mouth.

Same snake. Full length body shot. Not as shocking as the mug shot.

Great links, but seems to be missing the point? Is this information related to the Burrunjor in any way, or just interesting Aussie trivia?

Great links, but seems to be missing the point? Is this information related to the Burrunjor in any way, or just interesting Aussie trivia?

More to do with the other side of the Burronjor debate, that the animal in question could be something a little more ordinary. Those 3 critters in the pics were more than capable of taking down a child/small adult. The pig and the snake on the fence were hunting domestic animals. I'm pretty confident that something the size of that pig crushing through the scrub would sound 'thunderous' Hmm... strange disappearances, animals bigger than what we'd consider 'normal'... All we're missing is cattle mutalations and we could get ET involved. ;)

The snake at the rock pool, like I stated Wyoming Outdoors Radio said it was dragging a cow out of the water. I'm guessing that they've never seen a rock wallaby. So big snake becomes giant snake (raindow serpent, anyone?). It wasn't until my second look that I came to the conclusion that it wasn't a cow or calf. And as someone who's seen a lot of wallabies, I figure that my initial perspective was influenced by this intial misidentification. What happens when there's no photo to look at? Do we get the scenario of the fisherman describing the "one that got away"?

I've already included another link in a previous post in this thread to a story that shares quite a few similar elements to Rex's story (aboriginal tracker, ranking outback police officer, areas that the local's won't go to).

Muttaburrasaurus included as an illustration of a large bipedal dinosaur native to Australia that also fits the discription (and also as a point of further investigation for other dinosaurs, being part of the Australian Museum's online site, et al...)

And the Gallery of Odd, well you never know when that could come in handy :)

But since we're discussing what creatures lived (and became extinct) during the timeframe of the Aborigine's arrival, has anyone put forward the Quinkana as a candidate. At 7m from head to tail, that puts it in the ballpark for size. It's a terrestrial crocodile (mekosuchines) that has been extinct for 40,000 years, but it would make a 'three-toed print' and it was a pursuit predator...

More to do with the other side of the Burronjor debate, that the animal in question could be something a little more ordinary. Those 3 critters in the pics were more than capable of taking down a child/small adult. The pig and the snake on the fence were hunting domestic animals. I'm pretty confident that something the size of that pig crushing through the scrub would sound 'thunderous' Hmm... strange disappearances, animals bigger than what we'd consider 'normal'... All we're missing is cattle mutalations and we could get ET involved. ;)

The snake at the rock pool, like I stated Wyoming Outdoors Radio said it was dragging a cow out of the water. I'm guessing that they've never seen a rock wallaby. So big snake becomes giant snake (raindow serpent, anyone?). It wasn't until my second look that I came to the conclusion that it wasn't a cow or calf. And as someone who's seen a lot of wallabies, I figure that my initial perspective was influenced by this intial misidentification. What happens when there's no photo to look at? Do we get the scenario of the fisherman describing the "one that got away"?

I've already included another link in a previous post in this thread to a story that shares quite a few similar elements to Rex's story (aboriginal tracker, ranking outback police officer, areas that the local's won't go to).

Muttaburrasaurus included as an illustration of a large bipedal dinosaur native to Australia that also fits the discription (and also as a point of further investigation for other dinosaurs, being part of the Australian Museum's online site, et al...)

And the Gallery of Odd, well you never know when that could come in handy :)

Ahh, I see, good points, The snakes and pigs woud be possible culprits indeed. Thanks for clearing that up. Let's just leave ET out of this for now.............LOL :)

Ahh, I see, good points, The snakes and pigs woud be possible culprits indeed. Thanks for clearing that up. Let's just leave ET out of this for now.............LOL :)

Glad that removed some of the confusion. Bit of a bad habit that I have when I've got a predominently neutral POV on a subject - I tend to present just the raw info and let others draw their conclusions, without realising that it can be confusing until someone points it out. :blush:

You sure about ET? After all the 'greys' could be some previously undiscovered species of hairless ape primarily native to North America, with pockets in other parts of the world ;)

Uh, hairy hominids, I grow tired of them we've even got one here in NZ!!! New Zealand for chrissake!!! Its ment to live in the corromandel, no idea how but good luck anyone waiting on that thing to show its ugly mug!

Uh, hairy hominids, I grow tired of them we've even got one here in NZ!!! New Zealand for chrissake!!! Its ment to live in the corromandel, no idea how but good luck anyone waiting on that thing to show its ugly mug!

Could it just be some unwashed hairy, dreadlocked Feral getting freaky with nature?

OT, anymore news on the Moa's that are supposedly running round in the remote scrub of the South Island. I was living in Invercargill back in '82 when the big news was some guy who was claiming to have found some 'Moa droppings'. I haven't heard anything since.

Then again, I haven't heard any more about the pleisosaurs that supposedly live in one of the bays in the North Island either. :hmm:

Could it just be some unwashed hairy, dreadlocked Feral getting freaky with nature?

OT, anymore news on the Moa's that are supposedly running round in the remote scrub of the South Island. I was living in Invercargill back in '82 when the big news was some guy who was claiming to have found some 'Moa droppings'. I haven't heard anything since.

Then again, I haven't heard any more about the pleisosaurs that supposedly live in one of the bays in the North Island either. :hmm:

Boy oh boy, New Zealand monsters? Where do I begin.

Over my years (Only 15, Im not planning on dying soon so hopefully plenty more monsters to come) I have collected stories from inumerable people about their monster encounters, and many from outside NZers, who were tourists or who had moved here. I don't iclude ones of common things like ghosts, UFO's etc. I collect MONSTER stories. I cast no udgement on their reality or not but Ive got SO many I'll whip out a few now. Lets start with your three, ae?

The Hairy Moehau - Feral Man theory - As weird as it sounds, back in 1972 a german wife and husband went missing in the Moehau area, and some have said they may have gone freaky wit da nature and even prduced hairy litttle offspring as gross as it sounds. However the theory is flawed - It is a little known fact that the couple were found later and returned to Germany, it just wasn't reported in the news.

Moa - In 2007 new Moa photos and fresh footprints were discovered. Re Gilroy explored the Uwerera area ad says he say a 3 metre tall bird which he wishes to capture some day and prove the living Moa theory with.

Plesiosaurs in the North Island bays - The famous carcassse of the basking shark excluded, I have a story from the book Mysterious NZ by Jane Gosset similar to the occasional sea monster stories: Two girls were swimming off the shore of(Cant remember where, I think it was Christchurch) when suddenly a huge sea reptile exploded out of the water next to them. Thy said it had a very crocodillian appearence, but had flippers, and seemed almost fish-like. This sounds tantilisingly like a Mosasaur, an extinct sea crocodile related to plesiosaurs."

Auckland has a leviathan or somthing in one of its bays, for about a week it was talked about and never again. No one believes in it, so I assume its an urban legend.

NOW, for just a taste of some of the tales I've heard...

- Giant Crabs - My Grandad used to tell me about the giant crabs that would for some reason would come onto land every summer for a certain day for god knows why. Most of the crabs were said to be about a little less than a metre across, the really big ones almost two metres. He remembers how every summer one of the very big ones would appear in the paper, pictured next to an attractive sunbather who would have an unbelievably 'fake' expression of shock on her face. I asked why no one ever thought about how strange giant crabs were. He said, "We were a tight, close little community. The crabs were the crabs., We lived with it. We assumed they had some scientific name or somthing but we just knew them as the crabs that came each summer".

He always tells the crab story with sadness. When the bigger roads were built, and a new town took over his old home town the water becam polluted, and that year the crabs didn't come. They didn't come the next year or the year after that, no one ever saw one again.

- Giant Trapdoor Spiders - My grandad also told of the equally well known, bt very rare giant trapdoor spiders. They were said to be as big as a rat or sometimes a small cat. He said tha they defyed nature, that spiders weren't meant to be that big because of gravity and their weak lungs. He said that their way around it was having an only slightly abnormal body size, but incredibly long legs. He said that oncehis firends cat was supposedly eaten by one, so they went and set two of the traps on fire, which I gasped at. I asked where they lived to stay hidden so well, he said in a small area of forest by his home town. He said it was probably still there, and so where the spiders probably.

- Ngau Ngārara Tangata - The Biting Lizard Man - I heard stories from the Fiordlands of the irritating and mischevious Ngau Ngārara Tangata, a tiny creature only about 25cm in height, with a bipedal stance, long arms, legs and a tail and a lizard-like mouth full of small, sharp fangs which, whilst not poisonous, were very painful and stung a lot. I would have assumed it to be a Maori legend however I was hearing it from a farmer! He told me that on 3 occasions he had found bite wounds on his animals from what he called "The little Bugga's" and had twice seen them scampering around in his crops and in the nearby bushlands. I got a few other similar stories from other farmers and one from a man who told me that whilst nasty, they were not bador evil, they were playful and he had on many occasions fed them from hand. I asked him to take me to the place where they were, but un-frekin-fortunately I had to catch the bus and wouldn't have made it in time.

I wonder if I should start a new topic on these crptids?

Boy oh boy, New Zealand monsters? Where do I begin.

Over my years (Only 15, Im not planning on dying soon so hopefully plenty more monsters to come) I have collected stories from inumerable people about their monster encounters, and many from outside NZers, who were tourists or who had moved here. I don't iclude ones of common things like ghosts, UFO's etc. I collect MONSTER stories....

I wonder if I should start a new topic on these crptids?

It couldn't hurt, since giant crabs do actually exist (the one's I'm thinking of aren't in NZ though). I've seen tiki necklaces that could fit the description of your lizardman.

Otherwise we'll just have to hijack this thread, by tying the Taniwha into the Burrunjor, since they do share some similarties (depending on which tribe's telling the legend) :)

Edited by Evangium

It couldn't hurt, since giant crabs do actually exist (the one's I'm thinking of aren't in NZ though). I've seen tiki necklaces that could fit the description of your lizardman.

Otherwise we'll just have to hijack this thread, by tying the Taniwha into the Burrunjor, since they do share some similarties (depending on which tribe's telling the legend) :)

At Raumati my Cuzzi stood on a spider crab! Yikes man, screamed so frekin loud when I saw move towards me!

I have a Tiki. In fact I have loads. I love Maori culture, its so natural, so one with the earth if you know what Im trying to say. Its at one with the natural world, I love it. Actually at the moment Im doing some experimental artwork in which I fuse both Maori and Aborigonie styles, and Im liking it so far. I'll post them on my DeiantArt account soon.

So you think I should make a New Thread? For what all of them? One each or...?

Oh, btw, do you live in NZ? Do you have any stories?

At Raumati my Cuzzi stood on a spider crab! Yikes man, screamed so frekin loud when I saw move towards me!

I have a Tiki. In fact I have loads. I love Maori culture, its so natural, so one with the earth if you know what Im trying to say. Its at one with the natural world, I love it. Actually at the moment Im doing some experimental artwork in which I fuse both Maori and Aborigonie styles, and Im liking it so far. I'll post them on my DeiantArt account soon.

So you think I should make a New Thread? For what all of them? One each or...?

Oh, btw, do you live in NZ? Do you have any stories?

I'm on the 'mainland' these days. Left NZ in '84/85. The only story I really remember is how Maui caught and clubbed the giant stingray that became the South Island. That and the Moa droppings (but only cause mum, good aussie sheila she is, said something like "I hope there extinct, 'cause heaven help us if they learn to fly."). My Aussie stories are mainly about huge snakes, pigs, sharks, crocodiles and spiders. ;)

As for a new thread, if you've got a specific date range and place to go with the cryptid, I'd be inclined to start a seperate thread for each. If the mod's will let you and you have the time and patience, you could link each thread from a more general locked sticky (eg. New Zealand's Cryptids as the sticky with each creature's discussion thread linked from a brief description-your reply to my question about the moa and pesiosaurs would be perfect for this). I've seen this work well in other forums, since it cuts down on the amount of duplicate threads that get started as older threads are pushed further down the list :)

Oh coool, ok I think I'll do dat.

Now I hate to be the prying a******, but please share your aussie tales of huge snakes, pigs, sharks, crocodiles and spiders :innocent: please?

Oh coool, ok I think I'll do dat.

Now I hate to be the prying a******, but please share your aussie tales of huge snakes, pigs, sharks, crocodiles and spiders :innocent: please?

Well just 1, since this is way OT. There's 2 things you need to know about this tale.

1. In the tropical rainforests up north, there's bird-eating spiders. From what I've been told, the buggers are bigger than dinner plates

2. One of my army mates had a platoon sergeant who was rough as guts and built like a brick sh**house. Apparently the guy just looked so mean and tough, all the new reo's (the guys fresh out of what the yanks call 'basic') were scared of him the moment they marched into the unit and saw this man mountain. Thing was, despite his rough and tough exterior, he was petrified of spiders.

My mate loved to tell of how once when they were out on patrol, this guy walked into a spider's web and all the rest of them saw was his rifle go flying one way, his pack and webbing another and his shirt go some where else, whilst he was flapping around like a school girl.

After he'd calmed down a bit, his comment to the boys was "Don't like spiders much, don't like 'em at all."

Anyway they got back to base and in the boozer were telling the tale, when another sergeant told them an even funnier story. Apparently him and my mate's sergeant had done a jungle fighting course once. Anyway it'd been going well for about a week until one morning when the rest of the patrol got woken to the sound of a gunshot and screaming coming from the hammock of my mate's sergeant. Fearing the worst they got the signaller ready to transmit, grabbed the medic and rushed over to treat him. What they found was him still in his hammock with his rifle in a white knuckled grip, and a lot of yellowish goo over his mosquito net. When he finally calmed down enough to tell his tale, he told them how he'd woken up to find the biggest spider he'd ever seen spread over his head with only the mosquito net between them. Scared out of his wits, he got his rifle out and shot it. Unfortunately for him spiders have an exoskeleton, and the net result of a 7.62mm round meeting a bird-eating spider at point blank range is goop... :)

• The topic was locked