Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scorpius

US develops lethal new viruses

10 posts in this topic

A scientist funded by the US government has deliberately created an extremely deadly form of mousepox, a relative of the smallpox virus, through genetic engineering.

The new virus kills all mice even if they have been given antiviral drugs as well as a vaccine that would normally protect them.

The work has not stopped there. The cowpox virus, which infects a range of animals including humans, has been genetically altered in a similar way.

The new virus, which is about to be tested on animals, should be lethal only to mice, Mark Buller of the University of St Louis told New Scientist. He says his work is necessary to explore what bioterrorists might do.

But the research brings closer the prospect of pox viruses that cause only mild infections in humans being turned into diseases lethal even to people who have been vaccinated.

And vaccines are currently our main defence against smallpox and its relatives, such as the monkeypox that reached the US this year. Some researchers think the latest research is risky and unnecessary.

user posted image View: Full Article | Source: Newscientist.com

[Edit] Post removed

Now why the hell are they creating virii, to destroy animals and have no means of stopping it? I know to first cure you must understand, yet this is ridiculous. Wait a second didn't we just oust a dictator, for similar reasons?

You're right, Blood Angel. Why is the US government allowing this. I wonder if this has sparked anything up within NATO. This matter should be addressed to all countries and should not have been made without their consent. If this virus ever escapes laboratory confinement, who knows where it'll end up. We're only one world after all.

Edited by Magikman

He says his work is necessary to explore what bioterrorists might do.

and that might be to just wait and steal them. ohmy.gif

Now why the hell are they creating virii, to destroy animals and have no means of stopping it? I know to first cure you must understand, yet this is ridiculous. Wait a second didn't we just oust a dictator, for similar reasons?

its ridiculous how exactly?

....*blinks*....

Anyone remember that book, "The Stand"? Where for some insane reason the US government had created an airborn virus that could and did wipe out something like 98% of the world's population.

Why is it that US scientists seem far more interested in making the next 'big discovery' than they are in bringing our species forword, and finding ways to improve our lives with science rather than destroy it?

I agree that this doesn't sound at all like 'understanding' bio weapon terrorists...who are probably buying stuff already made rather than creating their own...if anything, it's building a bridge for them to get newer and deadlier weapons to use against people.

Quote from the link: "The work has not stopped there. The cowpox virus, which infects a range of animals including humans, has been genetically altered in a similar way."

I can understand wanting to wipe out mice, but why would anybody want

to wipe out cows? wacko.gif

Its not going to hurt people rolleyes.gif They have already tested it on enough American Citizens to perfect it, of course whos going to miss 100 or so people out of the billion of american citizens?

I agree that this doesn't sound at all like 'understanding' bio weapon terrorists...who are probably buying stuff already made rather than creating their own...if anything, it's building a bridge for them to get newer and deadlier weapons to use against people.

thats a nice big assumption:)