Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Briton cleared in Crete death plunge trial

chemical-licker

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20080123/tts...-62c696a_3.html

ATHENS (Reuters) - A father who killed his son when he plunged from a hotel balcony with his two children in Crete, was found not guilty of murder but will have to undergo psychiatric treatment, a Greek court ruled on Wednesday.

John Hogan, 34, from Bristol, denied willfully killing his six year-old son Liam and attempting to kill his daughter Mia, 2, after jumping with them from the fourth floor of the hotel while on holiday in August 2006.

Doctors will decide on the length of his treatment in the near future, his lawyer Dimitris Xyritakis told reporters.

The court heard that the Hogans, from Bristol, had gone on the holiday in a "make or break" attempt to patch up their failing marriage.

John Hogan had jumped from the balcony shortly before the couple had been due to return home.

After the verdict had been returned, his former wife, Natasha Hogan, 35, issued a statement expressing surprise at the verdict.

As Avon and Somerset police constable Russ Jones spoke on her behalf, she broke down on the steps of the court as she revealed her struggle dealing with the case.

"We have found it particularly difficult to hear the circumstances of Liam's death all over again," she said in the statement.

"I have done my best to provide a balanced view of John and our life together so that the Greek court is aware of the troubled times in both John's life and our relationship together.

"This result, albeit somewhat unexpected, has left me feeling that Liam lost his young life for nothing."

She continued: "I accept that an act in a moment of complete madness was uncharacteristic of John but to have done this to our children was unforgivable.

"I know that we all miss Liam but it is Mia and I that are left to rebuild our lives without a loving, caring son and brother. John is no longer my husband and plans are afoot to rebuild our lives away from the media spotlight."

Im in 2 minds about this one, they were his kids his responsibility after all. does he have the right to take his childrens lives?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stevewinn

• westcountryman

• chemical-licker

• glorybebe

Top Posters In This Topic

ATHENS (Reuters) - A father who killed his son when he plunged from a hotel balcony with his two children in Crete, was found not guilty of murder but will have to undergo psychiatric treatment, a Greek court ruled on Wednesday.

John Hogan, 34, from Bristol, denied willfully killing his six year-old son Liam and attempting to kill his daughter Mia, 2, after jumping with them from the fourth floor of the hotel while on holiday in August 2006.

Doctors will decide on the length of his treatment in the near future, his lawyer Dimitris Xyritakis told reporters.

The court heard that the Hogans, from Bristol, had gone on the holiday in a "make or break" attempt to patch up their failing marriage.

John Hogan had jumped from the balcony shortly before the couple had been due to return home.

After the verdict had been returned, his former wife, Natasha Hogan, 35, issued a statement expressing surprise at the verdict.

As Avon and Somerset police constable Russ Jones spoke on her behalf, she broke down on the steps of the court as she revealed her struggle dealing with the case.

"We have found it particularly difficult to hear the circumstances of Liam's death all over again," she said in the statement.

"I have done my best to provide a balanced view of John and our life together so that the Greek court is aware of the troubled times in both John's life and our relationship together.

"This result, albeit somewhat unexpected, has left me feeling that Liam lost his young life for nothing."

She continued: "I accept that an act in a moment of complete madness was uncharacteristic of John but to have done this to our children was unforgivable.

"I know that we all miss Liam but it is Mia and I that are left to rebuild our lives without a loving, caring son and brother. John is no longer my husband and plans are afoot to rebuild our lives away from the media spotlight."

Im in 2 minds about this one, they were his kids his responsibility after all. does he have the right to take his childrens lives?

If he is unhappy with his life, then end it, don't be selfish and want to hurt the wife by killing the kids. He only did it to get back at her.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, surely anyone who kills a child must be mental in the first place, hes ****ing guilty, you dont throw, one kid off, then grab the other and jump yourself,

Edited by stevewinn

The real mystery is "why did the court not call any one of the numerous UK eyewitnesses ?" , but chose instead to call three Greek witnesses who had not even seen the events .

The real mystery is "why did the court not call any one of the numerous UK eyewitnesses ?" , but chose instead to call three Greek witnesses who had not even seen the events .

good question, columbo, maybe someone knows the answer. :huh: