Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Glowing eyes in a foggy mirror

Mictian

If I stand in the shower and look at my eyes in a shaving mirror which is hanging behind the shower stream, I can see a dark spot (like an after-image) over one of pupils in the mirror. However, this dark spot seems to hover in front of the jets of water. In other words, even though the bright water droplets obscure the image of my eye, I still see the dark spot corresponding to the pupil. The bathroom is lit by a fluorescent striplight on the ceiling, but the light level in the shower recess itself is rather dim.

• 7 months later...

Two days ago I had the experience, I got out of the shower, as I was drying off I went to the mirror which was foggy and all I could see was two glowing perfectly round eyes very similar to the picture on top of the page, but where my iris is the glow was more intense. I stepped away from the mirror obviously I was looking at my eye's, so I went and got my friend and told her to look into the mirror while I was and asked her what she saw and she said "well I can kind of see your outline" I said you don't see anything else and she said NO. I squinted and they were still there the same size as my eyeball would be, I rubbed off half of the condensation on the mirror and had one eye normal and one eye glowing. I had no light on in the bathroom and only ambient light from a cloudy day coming in the window. So it is not reflections off a light. If it was my friend would have seen it too. One thing of note, lately I have been sun gazing, which is looking at the sun but not directly kind of the outer rim of the sun. I am wondering if our eye's do not store light? Anyways, very strange and not at all fearful just strange.

I've actually kept my experience to myself, and it's most like what you described. I was in a hotel for a week. One morning while getting out of the shower, something strange moved in the corner of my eye, and I looked across the room to the mirror, and in the mirror were two lights that followed the movement of my eyes. I could barely make out the form of my body in the thick coating of fog, but the lights where my eyes should have been in my reflection were bright and noticeable. I approached the mirror. The only difference from the image in the first post is that I saw completely circular lights covering my eyes like they were flashlights. I immediately dragged my family into the room, but they said NO, they saw nothing in my reflection nor their own. I'm pretty sure I saw their eyes glowing in the reflection just like mine, but I honestly can't remember. It didn't matter to me much at the time since I had my own reflection to stare at, and I was very superstitious at the time anyway. I turned the lights on and off and saw the same thing. I stayed in the bathroom obsessing over it until all the fog had left, and as it left, the light became fainter until the reflection of my eye was revealed. I even breathed on the mirror in the dark to hang on to the moment longer. I didn't see the phenomenon at any other time or after any other shower during my stay at the hotel that week.

I wish I remembered more or checked the lighting in the bathroom, etc., but it happened 9 years ago. Come to think of it, two of the walls were mirrors, one was the shower, the other had the door, so it's probable that the lighting was on the ceiling. When I turned off the light, I had the door open, and a dim morning light was still lighting up the room; the bathroom door was to my right, not behind me, although the windows of the hotel room were out of the line of sight and behind and around the bathroom. I remember the light in the bathroom being very good yet soft. It was a nice, clean hotel despite not having ventilation in the bathrooms. That all does support that scientific explanation except for the fact that my family didn't see it, and after all the steam left the room, I could still breathe on the mirror in the dark and get the same effect.

I don't have glaucoma or have any eye problems aside from being near-sided and needing glasses. I don't remember if I was wearing contacts or not, but I probably was. I didn't eat anything strange, etc. I was 15 years old at the time.

Let me be clear, I don't believe for a second in ghosts or miracles or visions or any other superstitions that other people come up with or claim to have experienced, so I take this experience of mine very seriously. I would say I'm an atheist, but this makes me want to believe in something supernatural out there. The thing is, if it happened at any other time in my life, I would brush it off and assume some natural scientific fluke occurred, but the fact of the matter is that it occurred at a very pivotal time in my life: I was at a religious convention that occurs only once a year, and that was the second and last year I ever attended before leaving my religion. I didn't ever go to church either, as that religion is very small and has very few churches and none in my hometown, so getting together with other members of the religion is a rare and exciting event. A lot of people claim to experience phenomenons at that convention, but as a skeptic, I don't believe anything people say unless I experience it myself or can explain it with science. Later that day, my spiritual counselor told me not to put too much weight on phenomenons, but I started questioning my faith a few months afterward, and if I had been given a sign by some deity out there to continue believing, a vision like this would do, right? Honestly, this one experience is the only reason I can't call myself an atheist.

I feel pretty embarrassed and disheartened to consider that my concept of reality is hung up on what might just have been a fluke lighting occurrence. Are these all casual experiences for other people?

Edited by kriscar

I've actually kept my experience to myself, and it's most like what you described. I was in a hotel for a week. One morning while getting out of the shower, something strange moved in the corner of my eye, and I looked across the room to the mirror, and in the mirror were two lights that followed the movement of my eyes. I could barely make out the form of my body in the thick coating of fog, but the lights where my eyes should have been in my reflection were bright and noticeable. I approached the mirror. The only difference from the image in the first post is that I saw completely circular lights covering my eyes like they were flashlights. I immediately dragged my family into the room, but they said NO, they saw nothing in my reflection nor their own. I'm pretty sure I saw their eyes glowing in the reflection just like mine, but I honestly can't remember. It didn't matter to me much at the time since I had my own reflection to stare at, and I was very superstitious at the time anyway. I turned the lights on and off and saw the same thing. I stayed in the bathroom obsessing over it until all the fog had left, and as it left, the light became fainter until the reflection of my eye was revealed. I even breathed on the mirror in the dark to hang on to the moment longer. I didn't see the phenomenon at any other time or after any other shower during my stay at the hotel that week.

I wish I remembered more or checked the lighting in the bathroom, etc., but it happened 9 years ago. Come to think of it, two of the walls were mirrors, one was the shower, the other had the door, so it's probable that the lighting was on the ceiling. When I turned off the light, I had the door open, and a dim morning light was still lighting up the room; the bathroom door was to my right, not behind me, although the windows of the hotel room were out of the line of sight and behind and around the bathroom. I remember the light in the bathroom being very good yet soft. It was a nice, clean hotel despite not having ventilation in the bathrooms. That all does support that scientific explanation except for the fact that my family didn't see it, and after all the steam left the room, I could still breathe on the mirror in the dark and get the same effect.

I don't have glaucoma or have any eye problems aside from being near-sided and needing glasses. I don't remember if I was wearing contacts or not, but I probably was. I didn't eat anything strange, etc. I was 15 years old at the time.

Let me be clear, I don't believe for a second in ghosts or miracles or visions or any other superstitions that other people come up with or claim to have experienced, so I take this experience of mine very seriously. I would say I'm an atheist, but this makes me want to believe in something supernatural out there. The thing is, if it happened at any other time in my life, I would brush it off and assume some natural scientific fluke occurred, but the fact of the matter is that it occurred at a very pivotal time in my life: I was at a religious convention that occurs only once a year, and that was the second and last year I ever attended before leaving my religion. I didn't ever go to church either, as that religion is very small and has very few churches and none in my hometown, so getting together with other members of the religion is a rare and exciting event. A lot of people claim to experience phenomenons at that convention, but as a skeptic, I don't believe anything people say unless I experience it myself or can explain it with science. Later that day, my spiritual counselor told me not to put too much weight on phenomenons, but I started questioning my faith a few months afterward, and if I had been given a sign by some deity out there to continue believing, a vision like this would do, right? Honestly, this one experience is the only reason I can't call myself an atheist.

I feel pretty embarrassed and disheartened to consider that my concept of reality is hung up on what might just have been a fluke lighting occurrence. Are these all casual experiences for other people?

You're a wizard, Harry.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

I understand I made this topic difficult to comment further on, and for that I apologize. Since I posted last time, I became familiar with the "God of the gaps" argument, and I came to terms with the fact that there seems to be a scientific explanation for this phenomenon. I look forward to hearing more on this topic from the scientific community from others who have experienced it. I, for one, intend to research this phenomenon further.

Has anyone achieved this effect with smoke? Has anyone been able to replicate this effect?

Everytime I get out of the shower, the mirror in my bathroom is always reasonably foggy (I like hot showers!)

However, lately I've noticed that when I look at my own eyes in the reflection of the fogged mirror, they almost look like they're glowing.

Here we go

eyefog.jpg

Holy shi moly !!

you know - in a weird kinda way - it actually gives me comfort to know there were some oddball posters back in 2008 as well :w00t:

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I've seen this once, not quite what OP has in the picture (TBH I think that's exaggerating), it was a pair of halos or rings that encircled the eyes no matter where I moved on a foggy bathroom mirror. I believe this phenomenon occurs in a location/direction specific to the light, your eyes and the mirror.

In my case it was winter morning sunlight (north east UK) (so probably quite low) coming through a window in the bedroom behind me (i think directly) into the slightly darker on-suite bathroom. Still likely foggy in there, the mirror was somewhat clouded from the condensation, there was an additional window in the on-suite to the right of the mirror when looking at it, but It wouldn't have been bright on that side of the small house.

I actually got my grandma to look at it too, she saw it, and I'm pretty sure we could each see each other's reflected light eye halos. It was a number of years ago, but I have always remembered and wondered what the precise conditions for replication would be.

I've been there since, and have not seen it in the mirror. I have never seen it like that anywhere before or since. However sometimes if I look closely at the eyes in my home mirror, I feel like I can always see a very faint ring; perhaps this phenomenon is only /enhanced/ in certain conditions but always possible. Or maybe I'm seeing what I want to see, it is after all, fascinating to me, in a purely scientific and aesthetic way.

I'm no lighting or lens expert, but could the light be reflected from the eyes in a specific way, and scattered/coned out by the fog, then reflected back into our eyes and perceived as a ring somehow? Does anyone know of a specific name for this effect, or has anyone attempted to replicate this? I'd love to know.

I vote "RLEH" btw, if we're naming ;p. Standing for Reflected Light Eye Halo.

philosophical "atheist" / "supernatural" post

I read your later post also, but I wanted to speak to you on this topic. As a long time atheist with nothing going on at the time of my "sighting", I just wanted to let you know that the fact I saw it would suggest you just experienced it by unfortunate coincidence; and not by the hand of the deity you were changing your mind about. Let's face it if god were going to show it to /me/ he should have known it was pointless, because until today, I hadn't even considered that someone might think it was divine intervention. I mean if he wanted to get our attention, he wound have put the halo on (or behind) our heads since that is clearly a Christian image trend.

When I decided that no un-scientific explanation for the world and our existence was good enough, and researched evolution and the age of the earth etc; I put aside the organised faiths as silly contradictory fairy tales. Once you then realise you have no soul, it's easy to put aside "spiritualism" as well. That really helps on those dark spooky nights after watching a horror film lol. I still like the stories and movies, but in reality I know in my mind (not my heart :P) there is nothing.

If anything I just want you to see my perspective on things not impose them on you, make up your own mind and don't let anyone tell you what to believe in or not. But I would say if you're like me; make sure you think logically and rationally, with all the evidence, and distinguish tested provable evidence, against anecdotal, un-trustworthy, biassed or misrepresented conclusions and take "holy"; mistranslated, ancient, mushed together stories with a pinch of salt (or a lot).

I don't believe in gods, souls, or supernatural things. But I do believe in coincidences.

I look in the mirror and mine are always red ............ but they don't glow........ there just blood shot.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hey, all. I have some more information that might be helpful. I called a popular atheist show, The Atheist Experience, to talk about my experience of this phenomenon. It was mostly for my own benefit, but I think it's worth sharing. Let me clarify that by posting this video here, I don't mean to push my personal philosophy on anyone, but regardless of your beliefs, if you're curious, I think this conversation is worth watching for helpful skeptical advice regarding this phenomenon. As much as my experience is tied to my philosophical journey, I absolutely do not mean to turn this forum into a religious debate. This is where I want to talk about finding a hard explanation for the phenomenon.

LINK You can find my call at 46:03.

I intend to contact the folks that the host Matt named during the call, and I'll be sure to keep you updated here. If any of you do so first, please share it.

Mixed in the comments on that page are some more personal experiences and hypotheses, including thoughts from a retired eye doctor.

On a somewhat unrelated note, after re-reading my old post here, I want to clarify a major detail about my experience. I mentioned that I turned the lights off and could still see the glow. That was with the door open and the morning light from the other end of the hotel room still dimly lighting up the bathroom. At one point, I remember closing the bathroom door with the lights off (no windows in there) so it would have been pitch black; however, I don't have any memory of what I saw then. Because I don't remember what I saw in the closed dark room, I suspect that means that I didn't bother to remember it because I probably didn't see anything in pure darkness. I figure that, if I did see the glow in pure darkness, that I would have found that especially extraordinary and memorable and would have locked myself in the dark bathroom to meditate, but that didn't happen. Most of the time, I kept the lights on and the bathroom door open.

Please keep sharing your experiences and detail them as much as you can!

• 2 months later...

I had the same experience and I'm good on the mac software too, so i did the same thing and illustrated it i now use it as my icon, but its weird because it works in some mirrors not all because it happened at a friends place i stayed at four 4 months in argentina and once in another house i stayed at, But when i got home it never happened again, also my wife could not see it and it did not happen to her..Sometimes the rings would be more black than white rings but most days glowing one outer ring and a inner ring in the centre, if i close one eye i would have only one visible. I tried to take a photo and could not capture it, the further i stood back the bigger they glowed. At first it freaked me out for a second then i embraced it but i have not told much people about it. Those i have told think its an illusion which i know its not. The mirror type may play a role or diet, and the sun? i was sun gazing a bit but this did not work every time. enjoy and good luck My image i wearing a mask but you get the idea of the eyes. 

mer23.jpg

On 15 June 2015 at 5:30 PM, Podo said:

You're a wizard, Harry.

I had the same experience and I'm good on the mac software too, so i did the same thing and illustrated it i now use it as my icon, but its weird because it works in some mirrors not all because it happened at a friends place i stayed at four 4 months in argentina and once in another house i stayed at, But when i got home it never happened again, also my wife could not see it and it did not happen to her..Sometimes the rings would be more black than white rings but most days glowing one outer ring and a inner ring in the centre, if i close one eye i would have only one visible. I tried to take a photo and could not capture it, the further i stood back the bigger they glowed. At first it freaked me out for a second then i embraced it but i have not told much people about it. Those i have told think its an illusion which i know its not. The mirror type may play a role or diet, and the sun? i was sun gazing a bit but this did not work every time. enjoy and good luck My image i wearing a mask but you get the idea of the eyes. 

On 3 February 2008 at 3:12 PM, TRPS-TECH1 said:

That is awefully strange . Never had that happen before , NOT being sketpical ( at all ) , but is there any possible way for the lights in your bathroom to reflect off of your eyes , and look like its spreading because of the fog on the mirror ? If not thats pretty wild , that would freak me out a little! :huh:

Its random some day you see it some days you don't , in a bathroom with no windows, some times with the lights off and the door open i tested it a few different ways it happened to me at least six time and once in a different location. Its strange and cool at the same time this happened last year, my profile pict illustrates it exactly what i see.without the fog.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/12/2016 at 11:10 AM, kriscar said:

Hey, all. I have some more information that might be helpful. I called a popular atheist show, The Atheist Experience, to talk about my experience of this phenomenon. It was mostly for my own benefit, but I think it's worth sharing. Let me clarify that by posting this video here, I don't mean to push my personal philosophy on anyone, but regardless of your beliefs, if you're curious, I think this conversation is worth watching for helpful skeptical advice regarding this phenomenon. As much as my experience is tied to my philosophical journey, I absolutely do not mean to turn this forum into a religious debate. This is where I want to talk about finding a hard explanation for the phenomenon.

LINK You can find my call at 46:03.

I intend to contact the folks that the host Matt named during the call, and I'll be sure to keep you updated here. If any of you do so first, please share it.

Mixed in the comments on that page are some more personal experiences and hypotheses, including thoughts from a retired eye doctor.

On a somewhat unrelated note, after re-reading my old post here, I want to clarify a major detail about my experience. I mentioned that I turned the lights off and could still see the glow. That was with the door open and the morning light from the other end of the hotel room still dimly lighting up the bathroom. At one point, I remember closing the bathroom door with the lights off (no windows in there) so it would have been pitch black; however, I don't have any memory of what I saw then. Because I don't remember what I saw in the closed dark room, I suspect that means that I didn't bother to remember it because I probably didn't see anything in pure darkness. I figure that, if I did see the glow in pure darkness, that I would have found that especially extraordinary and memorable and would have locked myself in the dark bathroom to meditate, but that didn't happen. Most of the time, I kept the lights on and the bathroom door open.

Please keep sharing your experiences and detail them as much as you can!

Hi kriscar.  I heard that episode and was very intrigued by your story and experience.   Since then I've been looking for and even trying to create the effect to no avail.  Things like that are facinating to me for way too many reasons. 

Then this morning I was caught off guard to see it happening in a mirror at a hotel.  I was surprised but also impressed that it looked exactly like you described (like spotlights) and I was sure to take a lot of notes and test a number of factors to see if I could increase or decrease the effect (light source, distance to mirror, level of fog, single eyes closed or open, etc).  I believe I can replicate the effect under particular circumstances. 

Here are a couple of things I noticed

-I couldn't capture the effect with my phone, so I believe it's something happening subjectively as light hits our individual eyes.  In addition, like R23 mentioned above the effect would disappear for each eye when that eye was closed.

-The effect 100% has to do with the shape of our eye sockets, as I noticed the halo is essentially defined by the eyebrows and darker area beneath the eyes (the size would adjust in scale in relation to proximity).  Some people have mentioned seeing only a dark area around the eyes, and this seems to correlate with the effect and shape of the eye socket somehow. 

-Also like R23's avatar, I experienced a white light halo around my eye, a darker halo within that, and then a single light for each eye.  But here's the weird part;  upon closer inspection I noticed that the single white lights that appeared to be my eyes were actually not over my eyes at all, but instead were both the area just below the eyes.  I believe it is an illusion that it is the eyes that are glowing at all. 

If anyone is interested I'll explain more about the lighting and if I'm able to replicate. 

• Like 1

This effect would be related to the following topics:

'Glory' (halo effect around aircraft shadows or your own head in dewy grass when backlit)

Heiligenschein (highly directional backscattering of light)

In simple terms it's to do with back reflections - you have a back-silvered mirror, your eyes perfectly perpendicular to it, and then thousands of tiny refracting droplets - if the lighting is 'correct', then you can see a halo effect.  Because of its nature, it would be very hard to photograph, but I might just have a go...

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

This just happened to me at a hotel in Holyoke. MA so I researched and found these postings. All 3 mornings after I showered the reflection in the misty mirror of both eyes had a distinct white center, a black ring then an outer white ring like the pic posted from the Mac software posting. The rest of my face looked normal. I sort of freaked out the 1st time as I was alone and didn't know what to think!  I noticed that is was only in the top 2/3rds of the mirror but faded to my own eyes the bottom 3rd.  It lasted until the mist evaporated. The first 2 mornings I only had the subdued ceiling light on and the eye effect was quite pronounced.  The 3rd morning I had the 3 bright bulbs over the mirror on and the weird eyes were still there but was not as pronounced in the brighter light. Don't know what to add other then I am glad to see that some others have experienced this!  I had thought maybe there was a hidden camera or something behind the mirror!

• 3 weeks later...

I've experienced this phenomenon off and on since about 2009. Sometimes (most times) it's a dim glow around my eyes but sometimes, with the "correct" conditions (I guess) the whole area around my eye socket is dark except for a faint light in the pupils, and the rest whole rest of my face has a light glow. It's kind of like a skull. This started in 2009 when I moved to Texas (I now live in NYC) but happens everywhere. I have noticed that this seems to happen more on the west coast than the east coast but it still happens here in NYC. 

There doesn't need to be a natural light source like the sun in the bathroom for this to happen. It's happened to me at night. 

It's also happened to a lesser extent in a smoke filled room with a mirror. Once, outside when it was raining hard and I walked past a building with a reflective surface. 

While no one else has seen halos on me, when this effect is really strong (like my whole entire face is white except for my eyes) I've asked people to come into the bathroom to see if they see it too and have heard back from people that they see a "weird" glow around my face but nothing special about the eyes. 

I don't have blue or green eyes. I have dark brown eyes. I also am dark-skinned (mixed African American and Creek tribe heritage). Over the years, I've asked some spiritual elders in my community and in the Polynesian community which I'm fairly close to about this phenomenon. Granted, these aren't the most scientific answers but I was told that either my ancestor's spirits or just spirits in general. I was told by both elders that sometimes spirits like to "hitch a ride" with people, kind of like watching TV where you stop on a channel and see if the show or program is any good. I was also told that these spirits aren't malicious or benevolent, but mostly like "witnessing angels" just passing through. Both communities used the term "mounted," as in "i'm being mounted by some spirits right now." I was also told not to be afraid of them, but also not to run out and play the lotto either. They're harmless, and they'll leave when they want to leave.

Granted, I'm sure there's a scientific explanation for this and out of curiosity, I'd love to hear it. I don't disbelief science per se, but I just wanted to share some Indigenous understanding on this phenomenon for others.  

We seem to have a lot of reports, but no-one who grabs a camera/phone to take a shot to see whether it is capturable, only photoshop creations...

I'll do some experiments at home and see what I can come up with..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shellynelly said:

I have just taken the first photo no longer than 15 minutes ago. What do you think? Then around 20minits later took the second one.. 

I think that this post would be a little more worthwhile if you had attached the alleged pictures or supplied a link.........

One time after swimming in the ocean most of the day I had a whitish aura around my peripheral vision. My forward site was foggy too. I even walked into the wrong hotel room to the startled look of a family sitting down to eat.

I took a shower, but did not pay attention to my image in the mirror. I figure if salt water can effect my eyes to see clearly, then looking at the sun, or being exposed to water with high irritant (chlorine/salt?) content can produce abnormal effects?

• 4 months later...

Omg i literally just witness this phenomenon last night for the first time. I had my mom come in to the bathroom to see if she could see them too and she said no so i figured maybe i was just really tired and was seeing things cuz ive been sick lately. Im so glad that it is something real though. It creeped me out and i found myself staring at the mirror for awhile. If anyone finds out what actually causes this or if it really is something paranormal please contact me because i really wanna know. And i noticed that there were like dark circles around the edges of the white so it looked like i was possessed lol

But again, you didn't reach for a camera....  It would be *really* helpful if someone took a photo.  If your eyes can see it, then most likely a camera held up to that exact level will photograph it.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

OKAY wow, this just happened to me, I googled it then found this thread. This happened to me in a hotel room on park ave. It's WEIRD to me this happens to everyone in hotel rooms... sprits?! or maybe more rationally.. the type of mirrors? either way, I DID take a photo for evidence... this happened to me and my eyes were glowing huge circles just like the lovely illustrations show above. but in the photo, my camera lens was glowing instead, and it didn't pick up my eyes. kinda reminded me of that quantum split experiment where it acted different when it knew the camera was "watching".  I also did NOT see the camera glowing in the mirror, just my eyes. but the camera only saw itself not my eyes. SO STRANGE. I hope someone has a response to my image. thanks!! 

IMG_1351-.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rjulia said:

OKAY wow, this just happened to me, I googled it then found this thread. This happened to me in a hotel room on park ave. It's WEIRD to me this happens to everyone in hotel rooms... sprits?! or maybe more rationally.. the type of mirrors? either way, I DID take a photo for evidence... this happened to me and my eyes were glowing huge circles just like the lovely illustrations show above. but in the photo, my camera lens was glowing instead, and it didn't pick up my eyes. kinda reminded me of that quantum split experiment where it acted different when it knew the camera was "watching".  I also did NOT see the camera glowing in the mirror, just my eyes. but the camera only saw itself not my eyes. SO STRANGE. I hope someone has a response to my image. thanks!! 

IMG_1351-.jpg

rjulia, well done!!  Kudos to you for being the first to actually attempt to record the phenomena.  I'm going to experiment with different cleaning methods and now you've given me an idea of the extent of the 'fogginess' that caused the effect, I might have a better chance of reproducing it...

Might take a while, but I hope to be back.  BTW If this turns into a scientific paper, I shall give credit where due!

• Like 2