Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What's A Spirit Mimic?

SpencerHalliwell

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SpencerHalliwell

• Loonboy

• JustNormal

• Sucker

Maybe it's a residual haunting... not really sure. Sorry not much help. :/

I heard a story about someone encountering a spirit mimic, but they did not explain what it was, so anyone know???

Good question but you must ask that someone what it mimicked, their actions, their voice? Not enough information to even guess what it was..JN

Ok this guys was asking an "expert" about an experience he had while in Germany. He said that he encountered a woman on occasions that wore all black and had very dark hair, but her skin was very pale and others didn't see her. She follow him around and at first it was creepy, but than he started to enjoy her company they see each other often, he'd right poems about her, it was sort of like a relationship. When he left Germany he didn't see her anymore and was upset because he said that he fely like she wasn't with him anymore. So the "expert said that he believes that she is still with him and if he looks close enough that's he'll se signs that she's still there, and that he believes he encountered a spirit mimic. He also said that he should be very careful with a situation like this , because in these cases it can turn into a sucubus situations. So I was left wondering what the heck a spirit mimic is.

this has a little about it http://216.109.125.130/search/cache?ei=UTF...=1&.intl=us

Ok this guys was asking an "expert" about an experience he had while in Germany. He said that he encountered a woman on occasions that wore all black and had very dark hair, but her skin was very pale and others didn't see her. She follow him around and at first it was creepy, but than he started to enjoy her company they see each other often, he'd right poems about her, it was sort of like a relationship. When he left Germany he didn't see her anymore and was upset because he said that he fely like she wasn't with him anymore. So the "expert said that he believes that she is still with him and if he looks close enough that's he'll se signs that she's still there, and that he believes he encountered a spirit mimic. He also said that he should be very careful with a situation like this , because in these cases it can turn into a sucubus situations. So I was left wondering what the heck a spirit mimic is.

this has a little about it http://216.109.125.130/search/cache?ei=UTF...=1&.intl=us

After reading that I still have no clue LOL..A Succubus is not a spirit but a Demon. So I think he is telling some "stories" In my opinion. JN

Yep, lot's of people do love to tell stories!! ;)

Your link didn't work for me Spencer, but I'd like to hear more about this one.

I am not sure if it is the same thing, but an entity that 'mimics' sounds and smells and visuals in its environment is typically an elemental.

In cases of elemental hauntings, witnesses will hear familiar sounds out of place - like their husband calling their name, when their husband is out of the house; or they will see the back of someone go through a doorway and follow them in, only to find that they are not there.

An elemental is a gathering of energy (usually a sustained gathering of negative energy over a long period of time in a particular location) which then takes on a low form of intelligence of its own.

Sometimes they are harmful, but mostly they are irritating or baffling. They are also easily dispelled, if you know what you are doing.

This story sounds like it could be something akin to an elemental, but not exactly.

Intriguing.

:geek:

Hey, not to be a thread hijacker, but is it possible for an elemental to momentarily manifest itself to appear like a friend or family member?

One time I was in my kitchen making a sandwich or something, and of course, in the peripheral vision (to my left) I see my dad standing there watching me. I wait for about 4 seconds then turn and deploy my kung-fu-fighting position (as a sort of greeting to my dad) and then realize that nobody's there. I was baffled, to say the least. My dad was at work all day, too. He didn't get back until at least 3-4 hours later.

I haven't had any other encounters in my household, although there is one room in my house that has a generally frightening feeling to it, but that may be because it has 6 windows, so the feeling that you could be being watched from every angle might be what is unsettling about it.

Weird. :P

Hey, not to be a thread hijacker, but is it possible for an elemental to momentarily manifest itself to appear like a friend or family member?

One time I was in my kitchen making a sandwich or something, and of course, in the peripheral vision (to my left) I see my dad standing there watching me. I wait for about 4 seconds then turn and deploy my kung-fu-fighting position (as a sort of greeting to my dad) and then realize that nobody's there. I was baffled, to say the least. My dad was at work all day, too. He didn't get back until at least 3-4 hours later.

I haven't had any other encounters in my household, although there is one room in my house that has a generally frightening feeling to it, but that may be because it has 6 windows, so the feeling that you could be being watched from every angle might be what is unsettling about it.

Weird. :P

wow that's freaky

Elementals do mimic the living - especially those living in the same location.

However, what you describe sounds either like mistaken corner-of-the-eye phenomenon.

Or a doppelganger.

:geek:

This is kind of wierd, and it seems as if the definition of "mimic" is a lower order entity which aquires more definition and "mind" based on interactions with humans. The "expert" seems to be concerned that if this attraction were to go on in your scenario, it could become a succubus situation. Google the term for more info, also "Incubus" sheds some light on the male version of this phenomenon. These are quite old in folklore, with tales stemming back into Medieval days and probably earlier. I don't know a pre-Christian tale off the top of my head, though, and so it *may* have begun about that timeframe.

IF true, then it is a rational supposition to worry about, and not a good thing for the guy to get this going on in his life at all, as it is a form of vampiric relationship and very destructive and insidious for the victim. The lure, though, is extreme. That is obvious even in your tale, given that this guy wants his known "not real flesh and blood" gal pal over moving on in his life to reality in his bedroom.

Whether you believe in entities or that it is all mental, it is pretty clear that this is not healthy, whichever way you believe.

I have not seen the term extended quite this far before. A mimic is just that and as been mentioned here already. An entity that mimics familiar sounds, behaviors or things as part of how it manifests. I hadn't considered it as a behavior of parasitic entities during the predatory process before.

Anyway...JMO,

ns

This is kind of wierd, and it seems as if the definition of "mimic" is a lower order entity which aquires more definition and "mind" based on interactions with humans. The "expert" seems to be concerned that if this attraction were to go on in your scenario, it could become a succubus situation. Google the term for more info, also "Incubus" sheds some light on the male version of this phenomenon. These are quite old in folklore, with tales stemming back into Medieval days and probably earlier. I don't know a pre-Christian tale off the top of my head, though, and so it *may* have begun about that timeframe.

IF true, then it is a rational supposition to worry about, and not a good thing for the guy to get this going on in his life at all, as it is a form of vampiric relationship and very destructive and insidious for the victim. The lure, though, is extreme. That is obvious even in your tale, given that this guy wants his known "not real flesh and blood" gal pal over moving on in his life to reality in his bedroom.

Whether you believe in entities or that it is all mental, it is pretty clear that this is not healthy, whichever way you believe.

I have not seen the term extended quite this far before. A mimic is just that and as been mentioned here already. An entity that mimics familiar sounds, behaviors or things as part of how it manifests. I hadn't considered it as a behavior of parasitic entities during the predatory process before.

Anyway...JMO,

ns

Thx for the info and I also found this article

There's a world we rarely see while walking through our daily lives of work, family and play. It's a world of ghosts, earth spirits, demons and "spirit mimics" author Brad Steiger calls the Shadow World.

Steiger, who's published 162 books since 1965 selling more than 17 million copies worldwide, first published "Shadow World: True Encounters with Beings from the Darkside," in 2000. "Shadow World" has been re-released by Anomalist Books, giving readers another chance to peek into a world of darkness.

"There is a Shadow World that exists all around us, and when it impinges upon our ordinary plane of shared reality this dark dimension is sometimes frightening, occasionally menacing, but always worthy of cautious exploration," writes Steiger, who has investigated ghosts, demons and UFOs since the 1950s.

Steiger's Shadow World is a world of stories Steiger has collected over the decades, such as:

A Midwestern graduate student takes a drive through farm country to get his mind off an exam. In a small town he finds a midday Scandinavian festival and stopped to join the party. He not only discovers some of the residents claim to be his relatives, he finds a girl he is instantly attracted to - along with some men who instantly hate him.

After a day laughing and dancing with the girl she suddenly shuns him, and the men tell him to leave. He soon begins searching for her.

Weeks later, the student again meets some of the men who, when asked how they are related, reply, "we are related, but not in the way that you probably understand it ... There are those among us who have some resentment toward your kind because truly, we were here first." Then they tell him to give up his search for the girl.

Who were these people who were here "first?" In the Midwest, not Scandinavians, surely. Steiger calls them "spirit mimics;" beings who try to appear human for reasons unknown.

Steiger shows us glimpses into this Shadow World that uncover spirit possession, nature spirits, devils, American Indian spirit encounters, spirit parasites, and pet spirits that may not be man's best friend.

A couple moves into a house in Birmingham, England and immediately find something from the Shadow World is at work in their home. It starts as unexplained noises - doors slamming, low whispers, and an invisible dog running across the floor. One night their infant son dies. His brother later says, "On the night the baby left us, the little dog was sitting on the baby's face."

The Shadow World is as real as our own, and just as deadly, Steiger says.

"Shadow World" shows us a place we should strive to recognize, strive to prepare ourselves for, and strive to avoid. Yes, these are "true encounters with beings from the darkside," and "Shadow World" acts as a handbook for people troubled with entities beyond our reality. A handbook, yes, but one that is convincing, frightening and fun to read. Enjoy.

- Jason Offutt

a spirit mimic is an entity that enteracts with people by assuming the likeness of some one the person knows, and even the likeness of the person. these types are rare, and are more of a nuisance than anything else. A succubus would not play games like this before attacking.

I have always believed that 'aggressive entities'(demons) are spirit mimics, for what ever reason they choose to do so.

a spirit mimic is an entity that enteracts with people by assuming the likeness of some one the person knows, and even the likeness of the person. these types are rare, and are more of a nuisance than anything else. A succubus would not play games like this before attacking.

This is my understanding of it. They tend to copy voices and such of people.