Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Total eclipse of the moon-Feb. 20

Owlscrying

Wednesday, Feb. 20, will be "Lunar Eclipse Night," for if the weather is fair you should have no difficulty observing a total eclipse of the moon.

The eclipse will be visible wherever the moon is above the horizon during the time frame that the eclipse is taking place. As it turns out, North and South America will turned toward the moon and will be in excellent position for this sky show.

Europe, Africa and a part of western Asia will also be able to see the eclipse, although for these regions the event will take place in hours just before sunrise on the morning of Feb. 21.

The total phase will last 51-minutes and begins at 10:01 p.m. EST (7:01 p.m. PST).

As a bonus, during the eclipse the moon will be situated, in our sky, near the planet Saturn and the bright bluish star Regulus in the constellation of Leo. The effect will be to create a uniquely beautiful triangle in the sky consisting of the totally eclipsed moon, a bright naked-eye planet and one of the 21 brightest stars in the sky.

go

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chemical-licker

• goalienan

• Bender.

• lostinamysteriousworld

i think it takes place in the UK from 3:01 AM

SWEET! I love eclipses! Can't wait for this. I gotta remember this too.

I'll be checking it out provided I remember on the 20th. B)

:lol: I do hope you remember left field. :P

That news is awesome owl's,i can't wait. :tu:

Edited by savvygirl

And it's going to be cloudy.

(POUT) The weather never cooperates with these things here.

I'd be much more excited if it were a total eclipse of the heart.

I love eclipses....... but if it occurs just before sunrise in Europe I guess I'll miss it. I can't be bothered to get up that early just to look at the moon :mellow:

yeap looking foggy and cloudy at the moment :angry:

Relax, I checked out BBC weather (:P) and it says the majority of England will be clear at around 3:00am.

People in Western Europe & the Americas will be able to see it. The weather tomorrow night seems fair. Where I live.

Hopefully, I'll be able to remember.

Edited by MoonPrincess

B.C. weather is so unpredictable in my parts anyway, but i hope we get to see it!

Its going to be tonight.Im very excited.

:blink: what do you mean tonight?

did somebody get their days mixed up, come on own up who was it, dont make me search through this thread looking for the guilty party :angry:

The eclipse starts here at about 8:10 P.M. with the full eclipse about 10:15...But as Purplos said, the skies are supposed to be cloudy...I would love to be able to see it....fascinating..

Awesome, I'm going to enjoy that. uh oh! Let's hope all those End of Days people don't start coming out of the wood works, lol. Then they'll be saying look! Zombies! Vampires! Werewolves! oh my! But all seriousness, I'm really going to enjoy seeing a lunar eclipse. At least it'll be while I'm still awake as well as my fiancee and little brother. They'd enjoy it too I think.

yep its tonight (well early hours tomorrow) http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

i sorted my telescope out and im thinking of putting it all away, coz the weather forecast is ***SNIP***

i wish, you'd stop saying im trying to bypass the bad language filter thing, i write the bad language and leave it to the filter to filter it, you write the word you edited out and your filter doesnt filter it, this has happened a few times check your filter,.

Edited by stevewinn
please do not use bad language or attempt to circumvent the language filter... it's there for a reason!