Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Probability theory

star_wars

Probability theory is the branch of mathematics concerned with analysis of random phenomena.[1] The central objects of probability theory are random variables, stochastic processes, and events: mathematical abstractions of non-deterministic events or measured quantities that may either be single occurrences or evolve over time in an apparently random fashion. Although an individual coin toss or the roll of a die is a random event, if repeated many times the sequence of random events will exhibit certain statistical patterns, which can be studied and predicted. Two representative mathematical results describing such patterns are the law of large numbers and the central limit theorem.

As a mathematical foundation for statistics, probability theory is essential to many human activities that involve quantitative analysis of large sets of data. Methods of probability theory also apply to description of complex systems given only partial knowledge of their state, as in statistical mechanics. A great discovery of twentieth century physics was the probabilistic nature of physical phenomena at atomic scales, described in quantum mechanics.

wat if we could master this and "force" the chanses of somthign happening to 1/1, then we could literly do anything we want

example: imagine that you disappear and reappear behind a wall, this chance is really little but it exists.

If we could force that chance then nothing would be impossible anymore

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Johnny Truant

• Emma_Acid

• atom286

• Akadra

"How could you disappear and reappear behind a wall? There is 0 probability of that happening." HAHA the simplest post are the best ones

Edited by paranormalguy

Its one of the more interesting sides of quantum theory. Particles are constantly popping in and out of existance. No-one really knows why. Particles have a probability factor of being in one certain place, they are never actually in one place at one time going at one velocity. It is possible for every particle in your body to pop out of existance and pop back in to existance on the other side of the world. But the probability is so low that you'd have to wait for longer than the entire life of the universe for it to happen.

And no, it can't be "forced".

OP: What is it exactly that you're trying to master? Can you label it?

You can't predict random events, no matter how much you analyze the information. We won't pop in and out of anywhere (yet) because our bodies and consciousnesses are grounded in this "dimension."

Star Wars, quick question: Can you come up with a way to even BEGIN to attempt to control these things?

First i'd say you need to steal a space ship with a Heart of Gold, after that you're on your own :devil:

OP: What is it exactly that you're trying to master? Can you label it?

You can't predict random events, no matter how much you analyze the information. We won't pop in and out of anywhere (yet) because our bodies and consciousnesses are grounded in this "dimension."

Its nothing to do with our bodies and consciousness - the fact is that particles on the quantum scale aren't grounded in this dimension, so given an infinate amount of time, all our particles would disappear and re-appear at the same place at the same time. Its possible but so highly unlikely it is nothing more than a thought experiment. It will never be reality.

Its nothing to do with our bodies and consciousness - the fact is that particles on the quantum scale aren't grounded in this dimension, so given an infinate amount of time, all our particles would disappear and re-appear at the same place at the same time. Its possible but so highly unlikely it is nothing more than a thought experiment. It will never be reality.

It's everything to do with our consciousnesses because we are the masters of the universe and are grounded here by our chakras.

My belief.

Notice how it's always particles that pop in and out of existence, and never a material, an object, or even a molecule. What does that tell you?

Also, just because a scenario has an infinite amount of time, doesn't mean that anything can happen.

Edited by Johnny Truant

It's everything to do with our consciousnesses because we are the masters of the universe and are grounded here by our chakras.

My belief.

Notice how it's always particles that pop in and out of existence, and never a material, an object, or even a molecule. What does that tell you?

Also, just because a scenario has an infinite amount of time, doesn't mean that anything can happen.

*sigh*

Its actually quite a well recognised part of quantum mechanics. It has nothing to do with conciousness, as its to do with sub atomic particles. We are not "masters of the universe", I have no idea what that means, and frankly I'd lose the new age "chakra" drivel. Quantum mechanics is science.

Nothing to do with belief.

And its particles that pop in and out as they are (as far as we know) fundamental. They make up materials and objects. Therefore, if all of the particles were to do it at once, you'd disappear. What does that tell you?

And I've never said "anything" can happen. This is a good place to start.

*sigh*

Its actually quite a well recognised part of quantum mechanics. It has nothing to do with conciousness, as its to do with sub atomic particles. We are not "masters of the universe", I have no idea what that means, and frankly I'd lose the new age "chakra" drivel. Quantum mechanics is science.

And its particles that pop in and out as they are (as far as we know) fundamental. They make up materials and objects. Therefore, if all of the particles were to do it at once, you'd disappear. What does that tell you?

This new age "drivel" is actually timeless belief. Science is biased.

And it's still only single particles that are superpositional, and never a whole atom. To claim that eventually a conglomeration of atoms will all hit the probability jackpot and wink out for a moment is ignoring this fact. When dealing with anything bigger than a single particle, there's always going to be a tie to this dimension (dimensional plane, not spacial dimension). It's always going to have one foot in the door, and isn't going to exit.

While not strictly addressing the probabilities this site has a rather cool interactive feature on quantum tunnelling. You will need Shockwave installed in your browser to use the feature though...this will be installed from the site if you acknowledge the prompt to do so.

• 1 month later...
wat if we could master this and "force" the chanses of somthign happening to 1/1, then we could literly do anything we want

example: imagine that you disappear and reappear behind a wall, this chance is really little but it exists.

Alot of the dimensions and variables used in these mathematical equations are 'virtual', they are there to get past unknowns and anomalies. Until we have mastered the virtual realm of reality and are somehow able to physically or mentally move between them, those equations are useless to us. I wouldnt get too worked up about it happening anytime soon. Just my opinion.

*sigh*

first of all

how can you call "chakras" a new age believe when it dates back from hinduism etc

second,i'm pretty sure that "master of the universe" refers to our ability to influence & view the quantum matrix/universe through our mind. (aka law of attraction if you wish to call it like that)

something which quantum physicists are discovering more & more.

quantum entanglement,quantum vibration & resonnance, etc etc

different terms for the principles of the kabylion & hermetics ..

Or did you in all ignorance assume that "law of attraction" or whatever you chose to call it,was a new age believe?

do some digging,it dates back from the egyptians m8

How could you disappear and reappear behind a wall? There is 0 probability of that happening.

theoretically, it is possibly. something to do with every single atom in your body moving in the same direction at the same time, not too sure tbh.

but, the chances of it happening are very close to 0.

Its one of the more interesting sides of quantum theory. Particles are constantly popping in and out of existance. No-one really knows why. Particles have a probability factor of being in one certain place, they are never actually in one place at one time going at one velocity. It is possible for every particle in your body to pop out of existance and pop back in to existance on the other side of the world. But the probability is so low that you'd have to wait for longer than the entire life of the universe for it to happen.

And no, it can't be "forced".

Basically what I was going to say. Everything that exists at the moment won't always exist by the time you're done reading this sentence.

Your teleportation-trough-wall-theory is not good, it's chance is 0/0, it's impossible and what is impossible can't be enhanced with that 'force' as it is not possible, no chances to enhance. But the force described in that text is, what i think, some undiscovered organ in your brain or body that makes telepathy and telekinese possible.

I guess he 'teleported' away because i haven't seen him post one single reply on his own thread.... >.< :P

This is a very interesting topic because minds have the ability to collapse probabilities through gaining infomation on their enviroments.

I have some interesting ideas involving telekinesis and the trance state. Basically we can all watch tv and become so absorbed we lose our awareness of the surrounding enviroment. When this happens does the enviroment revert back to behaving as a probability (Quantum Mechanically).

I ask because I think it may be possible to put myself in a state of mind where I lose awareness about the position of an object. Its a scary thought that I could then be able to have an influence on the movement of an object because I can create probability regarding its position.

theoretically, it is possibly. something to do with every single atom in your body moving in the same direction at the same time, not too sure tbh.

but, the chances of it happening are very close to 0.

This is called Quantum tunneling and its real.

It happens because if you have an atom locked inside a box you might assume theres 100% chance that if you looked inside you'd find it. This is not so because atoms behave in strange ways (Quantum Mechanics). In fact at every single point in the entire universe there is a very small chance of finding your atom which includes the area just outside your box. Repeat the experiment a million times and you will detect some have magically found their way out of the box.

Atoms are differant from people though because the larger the object the lower the chances of it being found outside the box. Statistically it is not impossible for a human to walk up to a wall then magically find themselves on the othjer side. FOr something as large as a human it would be a rare event but hey theres 6 billion of us on this planet and how many times have you coem across a wall?

Your teleportation-trough-wall-theory is not good, it's chance is 0/0, it's impossible and what is impossible can't be enhanced with that 'force' as it is not possible, no chances to enhance. But the force described in that text is, what i think, some undiscovered organ in your brain or body that makes telepathy and telekinese possible.

i dont think its an organ but more like the combined power of ur mind and training it to influence the physical world

i myself have a weak form of telekenesis at the moment and im trying to train it