Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Monster shark caught on film by scientists!

saittaM

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mattshark

• capoeiranger

• Luka the Rentboy

• saittaM

Thanks for wasting 2 minutes of my life. The video is from some sort of Japanese light entertainment program.

It shows ZERO 50-metre sharks, just a bunch of small fish, and a bigger fish, with lots of japanese subtitles, "Hammer house of Horror" music, and some audience gasp/laughs in the background. At a guess, this is a "Endurance" style program, and the chosen victim (who appears on an inset briefly) is being asked which of these fish is to be put into his underpants, or somesuch ghastly 'entertainment'.

There is no Wikipedia link. (how COULD there be ? )

<puts traffic cones and police tape around post>

Move on... nothing to see....

Meow Purr.

Thanks for wasting 2 minutes of my life. The video is from some sort of Japanese light entertainment program.

It shows ZERO 50-metre sharks, just a bunch of small fish, and a bigger fish, with lots of japanese subtitles, "Hammer house of Horror" music, and some audience gasp/laughs in the background. At a guess, this is a "Endurance" style program, and the chosen victim (who appears on an inset briefly) is being asked which of these fish is to be put into his underpants, or somesuch ghastly 'entertainment'.

There is no Wikipedia link. (how COULD there be ? )

<puts traffic cones and police tape around post>

Move on... nothing to see....

Meow Purr.

lol thanks for the warning cat I think I'll skip this one

It's an approximately 23 foot long pacific sleeping shark.

7 metres long.

A very large specimen indeed, amongst the largest; but so very far from 50 metres.

It's from some Japanese game show if I recall correctly.

Edited by HIZAKI

Huuuuhh... I'm really sorry, but not this video again. I've done a translation work for this video here in this forum a long time ago. You can try to search it. It's true, it's not a 50m shark, it's a 7m shark. It look so big because it was right by the camera filming other 2m shark on the distance.

It's an approximately 23 foot long pacific sleeping shark.

7 metres long.

A very large specimen indeed, amongst the largest; but so very far from 50 metres.

It's from some Japanese game show if I recall correctly.

Huuuuhh... I'm really sorry, but not this video again. I've done a translation work for this video here in this forum a long time ago. You can try to search it. It's true, it's not a 50m shark, it's a 7m shark. It look so big because it was right by the camera filming other 2m shark on the distance.

Yep indeed, the shark was identified by Eugenie Clark who works in the same place I do. I can assure you if she found a 50m shark, I would have known.

Yep indeed, the shark was identified by Eugenie Clark who works in the same place I do. I can assure you if she found a 50m shark, I would have known.

Damn you Mattshark, you're already my hero. Do you need to go and turn yourself into the coolest guy ever too?

i wonder if its true 50 m long shark swimming in the ocean right now...hiii...creepy..

just call matt the shark...

yeh, the skark could be any size as there's nothing in the film to compare it to. the wikipedia link states that the footage of hte 50 metre shark was never released so it could be that a larger specimen was filmed than the one seen in the video we've watched. Still, its highly unlikely that its a 50 metre shark whatever wikipedia or anyone else might say.

also, is it just me or was that program a bit like takeshi's castle underwater? :P

yeh, the skark could be any size as there's nothing in the film to compare it to. the wikipedia link states that the footage of hte 50 metre shark was never released so it could be that a larger specimen was filmed than the one seen in the video we've watched. Still, its highly unlikely that its a 50 metre shark whatever wikipedia or anyone else might say.

also, is it just me or was that program a bit like takeshi's castle underwater? :P

The Wikipedia link is obviously something that has been improperly edited; for one it's called "Sleeping shark". Searching for the proper term, sleeper shark actually gives you a disambiguation page, refering to primarily the Greenland shark - or the in this case relevant species, the Pacific sleeper shark.

The sensationalist rubbish-tabloid Pravda called it "Sleeping shark" in a horrible death-trap of an article way back, though. (Note: All information on that site is either warped, false or just made up on the spot, do not take it seriously.) They have a tendency to take a real story and make up all sorts of insane and absurd things to spice it up into something bizarre.

No, it's not, it's a some kind of variety show, like a nature world talk. Because from the old footage (the complete one, not just the footage clip) there's an interview with the captain of the boat, if I'm not mistaken, his name was Minoru.

A living 50m shark? Well, you really have to wind up back to millions years ago to have that size of a fish! Fish that big will surely be easily visible! 50 feet maybe. But 50 metres? Unlikely.

Trust me the film has been analysed and the shark is at most 7m, as I said it was analysed by Eugenie Clark, who is a colleague of mine.

To be exact: an approx. 7m Pacific Sleeper Shark. Am I right, Mattshark?

To be exact: an approx. 7m Pacific Sleeper Shark. Am I right, Mattshark?

That is what she indeed said. :)

25ft is still a huge shark!!!!

25ft is still a huge shark!!!!

yes it is, but it is not unheard of.

ok, 7 metres is still massive. I'm just wondering why the originaly/full length vid hasn't been released yet? or has it it and i'm missing something? if there was nothing shocking or remarkable in the vid then why wouldn't they release it?

ok, 7 metres is still massive. I'm just wondering why the originaly/full length vid hasn't been released yet? or has it it and i'm missing something? if there was nothing shocking or remarkable in the vid then why wouldn't they release it?

It was on Japanese TV.