Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Giant, Unknown Animals Found off Antarctica

psyche101

post-27240-1207528706_thumb.jpg

March 28, 2008—Giant sea stars or starfish that measure 24 inches (60 centimeters) across are held by Sadie Mills, left, and Niki Davey of New Zealand's National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research on February 15, 2008.

They and other researchers collected 30,000 sea creatures—many new to science—during a 35-day census in Antarctic waters in February and March, according to a March 26 announcement.

The large-scale survey was part of the International Polar Year and Census of Antarctic Marine Life programs, which study the diversity of Antarctic marine life.

Source - National Geographic

Hydroid's, tunicate's - my Favourte I think is the Giant Sea Spider. The Deep Sea holds many wonders, that life can even exist at such depths is amazing. This harsh envoronment has made exploration more than difficult. Some suprises are worth waiting for.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• psyche101

• Undeadskeptic

• BigDaddy_GFS

• DieChecker

It's the spawn of the Elder Things. Run for the Hills! Or... the Mountains of Madness.

linked-image

Edited by DieChecker

I'd be afraid that a starfish that big would eat me if I fell asleep on the wrong beach at low tide. OUCH!

I'd be afraid that a starfish that big would eat me if I fell asleep on the wrong beach at low tide. OUCH!

That sure made me raise my eyebrows, monster isn't it!!!

post-27240-1207528706_thumb.jpg

March 28, 2008—Giant sea stars or starfish that measure 24 inches (60 centimeters) across are held by Sadie Mills, left, and Niki Davey of New Zealand's National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research on February 15, 2008.

They and other researchers collected 30,000 sea creatures—many new to science—during a 35-day census in Antarctic waters in February and March, according to a March 26 announcement.

The large-scale survey was part of the International Polar Year and Census of Antarctic Marine Life programs, which study the diversity of Antarctic marine life.

Source - National Geographic

Hydroid's, tunicate's - my Favourte I think is the Giant Sea Spider. The Deep Sea holds many wonders, that life can even exist at such depths is amazing. This harsh envoronment has made exploration more than difficult. Some suprises are worth waiting for.

this make me more confused. some 'scientist' said : deeper = smaller.. but why big freaky animal keep coming from bottom ? like those tubeworm ?

and that giant star fish look eeuuwy !

Why are the starfish in the picture considered a newly discovered animal? Just because they're kinda big or are they a new species of starfish that lives in really cold water?

Why are the starfish in the picture considered a newly discovered animal? Just because they're kinda big or are they a new species of starfish that lives in really cold water?

From the article

No, I think they are just like mutant starfish. Different to anything else we usually encounter.

this make me more confused. some 'scientist' said : deeper = smaller.. but why big freaky animal keep coming from bottom ? like those tubeworm ?

and that giant star fish look eeuuwy !

As I understand it, in these environments - big animals get smaller to conserve resources, and small animals get bigger to attain more resources. Although officially, we don't know.

Funky concept isn't it :D

Deep Sea Gigantism Check the link :tu:

Edited by psyche101

Ive seen starfish bigger than that at the beach pfft... bring on the deep sea antarctic Man-Eating-Starfish!!!

Ive seen starfish bigger than that at the beach pfft... bring on the deep sea antarctic Man-Eating-Starfish!!!

What do they taste like?

The question that comes to mind when I read the article is, isn't every part of Antarctica Southern Antarctica?

What do they taste like?

Man.

The question that comes to mind when I read the article is, isn't every part of Antarctica Southern Antarctica?

Ahhh not exactly ;)

The closer u get to the middle,the farther south u are.

Ahhh not exactly ;)

The closer u get to the middle,the farther south u are.

It's said that if you're standing on the exact Southern Pole that all directions are north (doesn't matter which way you point).

It's said that if you're standing on the exact Southern Pole that all directions are north (doesn't matter which way you point).

Thanks, next time were in the south pole that will come in handy

Those starfish are pretty big.

I think what makes them creepy though is the fact that they are slimy. Weird.