Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Design or Chance?

RamblingRebel

Hiya people.

I been wondering for a while now. Is there anyone out there who can shed any light on this matter?

The relationship between the Earth, Moon and Sun during a Solar Eclipse (I think thats the one), just so happens to be spot on with regards distance and size so that we see it the way we do. The Moon seems to 'fit' perfectly into the Sun. So perfectly in fact that the mountains on the outer rim of the moon create a phenomenom know as Bailey's Beads. Where the light shines over them there mountains and through the valleys to create a beautiful effect.

Is there anything scientifically significant in this solar event, or is it just the way it is? Perhaps I mean to say is it by design or just a nice coincidence?

I've searched the forums for a topic like this but couldn't find anything.

Cheers.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RamblingRebel

• Silmarillion

• SunDogDayze

• Ironvos

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiya people.

I been wondering for a while now. Is there anyone out there who can shed any light on this matter?

The relationship between the Earth, Moon and Sun during a Solar Eclipse (I think thats the one), just so happens to be spot on with regards distance and size so that we see it the way we do. The Moon seems to 'fit' perfectly into the Sun. So perfectly in fact that the mountains on the outer rim of the moon create a phenomenom know as Bailey's Beads. Where the light shines over them there mountains and through the valleys to create a beautiful effect.

Is there anything scientifically significant in this solar event, or is it just the way it is? Perhaps I mean to say is it by design or just a nice coincidence?

Cheers.

if we had two moons instead of one i'm sure there would be some kind of alignment that would be just as or even more beautiful.... even if the sizes and distances were not the same. i guess apart from it being one of Gods gifts of creation, the only significance in it is that we get to see it.

what i'm trying to say without being a killljoy is, you need to put your significance in the event and the event itself in the right order... in this case, the eclipse comes first, thus we give it significance. its only significant because it happens.

Min xx

Hiya people.

Cheers.

And what would be the reason for it being designed?

nah i dont think they fit perfectly i mean cmon when u see a vaguely circular object thats HUGE from millions of miles away then its going to look like a perfect circle

I don't think that the topic starter was pondering the circular nature so much as the fact that due to their size and distance apart from one another the moon appears the same size as the sun, therefore making perfect eclipses when the moon passes between Sun and us.

There are different kinds of eclipses, depending on the position of the sun and moon, and also the position of the viewer on earth. The eclipse you are talking about are central eclipses, in which the moon passes across the center of the sun.

In those rare cases, yes, the moon fits perfectly over the sun.

The Moon is approximately 400 times smaller than the Sun but is also approximately 400 times closer, so its angular diameter in the sky is about the same as the Sun's.
Source

But these are only for eclipses that occur at the precise point in the elliptical orbit, because there is up to an 11% difference in the distance, making the moon appear smaller. If it is at it's perigee (closer to Earth) then it looks like it is the same size as the Sun. If it is further out (apogee) then it looks a little smaller, leaving the corona of the Sun visible to people on Earth. (source)

linked-image

The sun is showing thickly around the edge of the moon. (Apogee)

linked-image

The moon almost completely covers the sun. (Perigee)

So it's really not a constant perfect fit, it's a cosmic coincidence that sometimes makes it seem that the sun and moon are the same size. I would think if it had been intelligently designed, it would be more constant and purposeful.

:)

Id say theres more chance of this being by chance, out of the trillions of moons/planets/stars in the universe that the ones we live at fit so nicely when theres an eclipse, Than there being a chance of this being designed specifically for our planet :)

And what would be the reason for it being designed?

Maybe them little reptilian fellas are carrying out some maintainance on the sun and don't want us to see them. :huh:

Maybe it's a sign from God as all those folk from down the ages would have us believe. :o

Maybe there's some kind of sciencey explanation to do with advance gravitational theories. <_<

Or

maybe it's just a coincedence, with no meaning. :blink:

I'm not trying to flog an idea or theory or anything, it's just an observation. Thats why I asked if anyone can shed any light on it...see what comes back!

Cheers

ste

Hiya people.

Cheers.

Fit perfectly?

Guess you didn't learn anything about solar eclipses.

Fit perfectly?

Guess you didn't learn anything about solar eclipses.

Cool name Foolosophy.. :tu:

Hiya people.

Cheers.

This is what astronomers say: When the moon was first formed (when the earth's crust had not completely cooled and hardened) from ejecta that jumped outward after the new earth was struck by a large asteroid body, the ejecta colloid (mostly earth crust material, hence no iron on or in the moon) collapsed and cooled into a sphere very close to the earth's surface. The earth, which spun far faster at the time, received additional comet impacts (which brought water). The moon, which revolved around the earth at a faster rate (at the time) began to slow its rate of revolution. Basically, it was pulling on water, and earth's water was pulling on it. But the moon continued to spiral outward. The combination of gravitational forces slowed the period of earth's rotation. In fact, earth's rotation is still slowing down today (but maybe only a fraction of a second each century). The moon, well, it's still drifting away.

Some good effects of earth's relationship with the moon: 1) The moon shields the earth from meteor and asteroid strikes; 2) the moon gives us tides; 3) the moon gives lovers something to gaze at when they "make out"; etc.

But the apparent design of the moon fitting a solar eclipse so perfectly is simply due to the moon's current distance from earth. In one million years, you'll see a lot more sun during an eclipse because the moon will be farther away.

Everything works too perfectly from the tides, to a woman's cycle naturally aligned with phases of the moon, to 'the Moon is approximately 400 times smaller than the Sun but is also approximately 400 times closer, so its angular diameter in the sky is about the same as the Sun's', to every other insignificant 'coincidence' like a banana being the right size for our hands and mouth, for everything to just be by chance. Even the fact that the world is roughly 70% water just as our body is 70% water is just more proof that everything is designed.

Everything works too perfectly from the tides, to a woman's cycle naturally aligned with phases of the moon, to 'the Moon is approximately 400 times smaller than the Sun but is also approximately 400 times closer, so its angular diameter in the sky is about the same as the Sun's', to every other insignificant 'coincidence' like a banana being the right size for our hands and mouth, for everything to just be by chance. Even the fact that the world is roughly 70% water just as our body is 70% water is just more proof that everything is designed.

Perhaps. But perhaps, also, if we evolved on this planet, and our ancestors arose from the sea, it would follow that our blood is basically sea-water (in mineral content, salinity, and pH). And, I'm telling you, the moon is moving away from the earth and will be less than 400 times closer in the future. Banana? My son Arslan is five months old and I guarantee that he can't hold a banana in his hands.

Your right: women's and also men's natural cycles are tied with lunar cycles. And so are the breeding cycles of certain turtles and perhaps salmon and other life forms, too. No doubt about it. The moon has played an important role in tides (and again, we are 70% water, as you said) and development of life and hence, cellular function on earth.

Anyway, I may believe in evolution. And you may believe in intelligent design.

By the way, Clovis. You write very well!

Edited by lmbeharry

Anyway, I may believe in evolution. And you may believe in intelligent design.

Is evoloution not the same as intelligent design?

Where does the knowledge come from within the organism to tell it that it needs to grow a thumb, or lose its tail or whatever, and what the impact would be if it was to develop this 'next stage'?

if that makes sense!

cheers

ste