Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

whats your favorite urban legend?

Jouster

my fav? well id have to go with the classic hook man myth :yes:

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I'd have to say either the stranger in the backseat of the car, or the telephone calls coming from upstairs. I like the scary ones, which seem to revolve around babysitters (bless um!) so things like that. Anything with a horror edge.

I love urban legends, and there are so many good one's out there. Some of my favorites are:

*Hookman*

*The Devil's Hole*

Any stories on *Roads less Traveled*

Paranormal from abandoned prisons and mental asylums..

I read them all ;)

Hey can someone tell me about The Hookman, because I keep hearing people talk about it, but no one has ever posted the story on here :( PLEASE...

The one on the London underground, where the girl gets on the subway late at night, and it's empty except for a creepy looking guy, and two guys with a girl sitting between them. So the girl avoids the creepy looking guy by sitting across from the group. She notices the girl in the middle keeps staring at her, really out of it. Then the creepy looking guy sits down next to her, and whispers 'if you know what's good for you, you'll get off at the next stop with me.'

For some reason, the girl chooses to get off with the creepy looking guy (I wouldn't), and the guy says he is a doctor and that the girl sitting between the two guys on the subway was dead and they were propping her up. They notify security/police, who stop the subway and catch the two murderers.

It's an absurdly silly urban legend when you logically think about it, but whoever wrote it wrote it well when I first read it (alone, late at night) and it creeped me out good.

• Like 2

The "HIV-laced needles in payphone coin-slots" used to crack me up...

I'd have to say the one with the guy walking past someone with a Kleenex and pretending to sneeze as he walks past him and blows cyanide in his face and dies within 10 seconds.

:tu:

That one where the babysitter drops some acid, and decided to cook a turkey, which turns out to be the kid she was watching. How totally stupid and helarious :)

• Like 1

The one on the London underground, where the girl gets on the subway late at night, and it's empty except for a creepy looking guy, and two guys with a girl sitting between them. So the girl avoids the creepy looking guy by sitting across from the group. She notices the girl in the middle keeps staring at her, really out of it. Then the creepy looking guy sits down next to her, and whispers 'if you know what's good for you, you'll get off at the next stop with me.'

For some reason, the girl chooses to get off with the creepy looking guy (I wouldn't), and the guy says he is a doctor and that the girl sitting between the two guys on the subway was dead and they were propping her up. They notify security/police, who stop the subway and catch the two murderers.

It's an absurdly silly urban legend when you logically think about it, but whoever wrote it wrote it well when I first read it (alone, late at night) and it creeped me out good.

Isn't this from creepypasta? lol I liked this one too, I actually thought it was true *sighs*

The "Human can lick too" one is pretty amazing...and I think my favorites urban legends are the one about disney (found on snope), especially the REAL one, of the naked girl in the movie "The Rescuers"

Since I don't like to be scare, I don't like the horror one..even if I keep reading them all night long, here or there, and freaking out...

I have a ton, but probably either the Hook Man, the “if your roommate dies in college you get all A’s” one, Bloody Mary, and the Phantom Hitchhiker (in all its different variations lol)

what is your favorite urban legend?

My favorite urban legend? OK I have two. I know you said one but I can't get it down to one. The first one is an urban legend from when I was a kid. It may be restricted to Oakland, CA AFAIK. It's about a guy who rapes children named "Billy Do". I guess it's more of a scary kids story like the Boogie Man. Apparently Bill or Mr. Do was some sort of criminal who got caught raping kids. He was sentenced to life in prison. However Billy Do escaped now he roams the streets of Oakland trying to rape kids. Kids would roam the streets late at night and say, "Billy Do is after you. Billy Do is after you." OK that's stretching it but it was a legend and I was in the city.

The second urban legend is one being pimped by Alex Jones and it's about the Internet2. Alex Jones is saying the Internet2 will give ISPs the ability to force users to pay to visit certain sites. Why this is an urban legend is because ISPs and anyone can charge a per site fee. Anyone can allow only password access to their location on the Internet. FTP sites and online game servers do this all the time. Alex Jones apparently doesn't know Internet technology much. The Internet2 is nothing more than an update to the current Internet. That means the TCIP/IP we use today will have it's speed upgraded. The connections to utilize this new Internet protocol will be copper, wireless and fiber. Mostly it will be copper wire we used now but with fiber close by to boost speeds. Eventually it will be mostly fiber as it will be more cost effective and it probably uses less power. But that's just the method of delivery, the hardware. When the actual Internet2 is implemented, Alex Jones and most people won't even notice. But it is fun to see people totally freak out at this urban legend.

Isn't this from creepypasta? lol I liked this one too, I actually thought it was true *sighs*

The london underground story was an urban legend *long* before it was used as a creepypasta. I first read it five years ago on Snopes. I don't think it was ever true...but it's kinda plausible. Imagine if it was true...

That one where the babysitter drops some acid, and decided to cook a turkey, which turns out to be the kid she was watching. How totally stupid and helarious :)

haha i really heard that story was true

and i heard all these other weird stories about kids or moms doing acid when they were watching a baby

and the baby ends up dying in all of them lol how sad

• 3 months later...
The "HIV-laced needles in payphone coin-slots" used to crack me up...

Cracks you up? I wouldn't use a pay phone for years..

Well, that and they smell awful.

My favourite is probably the spider one. With the girl who gets a scab form on her face/cheek or something, and when she's brushing her hair she knocks it with the hairbrush and millions of spiders come crawling out. That's the version i heard anyway, probably my favourite cause it's the first one i really remember being told and believing it. But I also get really creeped out by the Hook man too. I love 'em all really :)

OH, and Bloody Mary and Candyman, I remember sneaking off to the toilets in primary school with my best friend and saying Bloody Mary into the mirror, nothing happened of course. This other girl in my class said she did it and felt something sharp go down her back... I don't think i believed her but wanted to :)

I love the ones that I heard as a kid at slumber parties, because they were true to me then: The only real Vanishing Hitchhiker is the Lady of White Rock Lake and Hookman really happened at Eagle Mountain Lake. Civic pride requires me to believe in the Goatman of Lake Worth.

Hmm.. . looks like lakes are where it's at. But I love all the babysitting and slumber party and dorms gone horribly awry tales too.

Probably the one about slasher under the car, the bride disappearing on her honeymoon and surfacing years later as a mutilated sex slave, the babysitter and the man upstairs and the man getting his organs stolen after spending the night with a beautiful woman all give me the chills because they could all happen (except for the last one). I remember that in Connecticut, there was a house that had silhouette portraits in all the windows. Where they got them all, we don't know, but it was weird as hell. I think the house got knocked down. Shame. Wish I would have taken some pictures.

The Stranger at the Dance, in part since I'm into dancing myself.

The Vanishing Hitch Hiker, this is one that often tends to be localized in the vicinity where it's told.

For some reason the one that still stays with me from my youth is the one about the girl sitting in the broken down car overnight waiting for her boyfriend to return...the whole night she is waiting in the car she hears "scrape, scrape, scrape" on the roof and thinks it is just tree branches. In the morning she realises it was her boyfriends shoes scraping and he had been hung from a tree above the car.

I have never had the courage to look in the mirror and say 'bloody mary' 3 times.

I also get a bit scared of the 'deliverance' stereotype of crazy inbred mountain people, when we drive through the wilderness.

Overall, although I hate to admit it, I am quite a superstitious person...(due to a mystical christian upbringing i guess)...

The "Civil War Bullet Baby" one is hallerious but I don't know if it's my favourite, or if I even have a favourite. They're all interesting.

I've always been creeped out by the couple breaking down on some dark road at night and the man goes to get help, leaving his woman behind to wait. After some time passes, she decides to go look for him and when she gets out of the car, he's hanging dead from the tree right above their car. I don't remember how he got up there, but eew.