Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Socrates meets Jesus

Druidus

For my last topic before I leave for Africa I would like to post something I found on the veritas forums. Read:

CLICK HERE

Yes, Druidus, it is a copyrighted article, those who want to read it click on the link provided. - Magikman

I don't know if it was copyrighted I just got it on the forum, but if anyone finds it is please notify someone to edit my post to have a link instead of the article.

Thanks!

Edited by Magikman

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• joc

• Talon

• Fluffybunny

• LittleIrishVampiress

I truly believe that if Jesus Christ and Socrates actually had a conversion like this, Socrates would p*** Jesus off to no end and there would be a repeat of that so-called incident in the market (in the Bible) where Jesus became enraged and destroyed the merchantile square.

blink.gif

Hmmm..I just thought of something...if Jesus was supposed to be perfect and sin free, what do you call the incident at the market? God's wrath? I thought anger was a type of sin... whistling2.gif

Other then that, I totally pictured Jesus getting p***ed off in that convo by the tone of the writing.

Edited by Naveed

w00t.gifgrin2.gif Socrates is my hero!

That was brilliant grin2.gif it read just like an excert from The Republic, same writting style as Plato and everything.

That has got to be the largest waste of time I have spent yet in this forum.

What a bunch of pap.............I mean crap wacko.gif

That has got to be the largest waste of time I have spent yet in this forum.

What a bunch of pap.............I mean crap

I thought Socrates made a very logical view myself.

I found it actually read like several threads allready available for our reading pleasure on the board .

Oh and must not forget it wasn't really written by either Jesus or Socrates .

Interesting though after all is said and done .

Just stating my opinion on the piece..have no desire to argue about it.

Hmmm..I just thought of something...if Jesus was supposed to be perfect and sin free, what do you call the incident at the market? God's wrath? I thought anger was a type of sin...

Anger isn't sin. Anger without just cause is sin. Read the story of the market

place and you will have a clearer understanding of that.

*Sarcastic mode on*NO!!!!! *Sarcastic mode off*

Lets remember that Socrates died 400 + years before Jesus was born. Also Socrates did not write anything, all his beleifs we know from the writtings of his pupils in particular Plato. The Republic is Plato's most famous book involving Socrates. It in Socrates wonders around the city state, going to those who are beleived to be well versed on their subject matter, declare himself ignorant but eager to learn. The others then tell him their beleifs, only for Socrates apologetically interupting constantly to point out flaws in the argument. After each debate Socrates ends the one evidently with more knowledge despite admitting his ignorance.

The Socrates in the Republic was however simply a mouthpeice for Plato and probably does not depict the formers actually attitudes to how a State should be run. However the above reads EXACTLY like Socrates' debates in the book with such historic figures are Thrasymarchus, Gaulcon etc

Doesn't have a degree in History and Politics for nothing, I even got a 1/1 for my Politics essay on Plato for my BA. thumbsup.gif

Edited by Talon S.

*Sarcastic mode on*NO!!!!! *Sarcastic mode off*

[sarcasam] DAH!!!! [/sarcasam ]

I do like your style Talon laugh.gif and thank you for the philosophy lesson original.gif

Edited by Kismit

Jesus would've answered all of Soc's questions perfectly. Personally don't think this is what a convo between the two would be like and I feel that the author was acting on the deep, non-concious (how do you spell that?) hatred that humans generally feel torwards God. Oh, and Joc's right: anger is not a sin. The Bible says "Beangry, in not," in Ephesians 4:26. whistling2.gif

Jesus would've answered all of Soc's questions perfectly. Personally don't think this is what a convo between the two would be like and I feel that the author was acting on the deep, non-concious (how do you spell that?) hatred that humans generally feel torwards God. Oh, and Joc's right: anger is not a sin. The Bible says "Beangry, in not," in Ephesians 4:26. whistling2.gif

Shh.. no indepth reading about what we think the author is trying to portray.

Only one who knows is the bloody guy himself. Now, enjoy it for what it is. Funny ;P

That was definately interesting. I'll have to print that out for some of my "Holy roller" friends to read devil.gif

if Jesus was supposed to be perfect and sin free, what do you call the incident at the market? God's wrath? I thought anger was a type of sin.....

vengeful, hateful, rash, and envious anger are sins. righteous anger is not. devil.gif

Talon ,

I figured, being the grown up, I had better come up with a more mature response than DAH!! allthough I did like that response , it didn't exactly do me any justice in the intellectual stakes , so here goes ...

I am well aware of who Socrates was and may not be fluent in his style and philosphies but know enough to able to carry a conversation if the need ever was to come up . Infact that's my philosophy you see 'allways know enough about everything to be able to hold a conversation but never so much that you become the expert .'

My post was more an expression of my own distaste toward the 'God is real God is not real' debate thing that appears to be flooding the board these days .

I must say I was amused and enjoyed the first third of the conversation , but after that I realised that it was written by some one with an allready extreme predjudice toward christian based religions , and for me that took the fun out of it .

So there ya go a far more intelligent response , and I feel better for it ... thumbsup.gif

That was long and boring, but in some areas very funny

Heh

Pray tell, what do they look like, these angels?

Jesus:

They have wings.

Socrates:

So do gnats........

I

I am well aware of who Socrates was

Oh I wasn't arguing that when I posted, you stated that they did not actually speak and I was simply adding background info which I knew from studying the man. I was adding to your comment, not attacking it.

My post was more an expression of my own distaste toward the 'God is real God is not real' debate thing that appears to be flooding the board these days .

Well religion is one of the biggest unexplained mysteries if you think about it tongue.gif

I must say I was amused and enjoyed the first third of the conversation , but after that I realised that it was written by some one with an allready extreme predjudice toward christian based religions , and for me that took the fun out of it .

I disagree, the answer sites well with what Socrates himself would have answered, lets remember Socrates believed in gods, but he did not believe in the religion of his city nor others, he went with a more spiritual aproach because he beleived that not all the religions could be true. As for the questions, they are simply pointing out contradictions, and although I do think it was written by an athiest, if you remove the sarcastic tone the arguement does remain.

the answer sites well with what Socrates himself would have answered

True and on that I give it an A. But it didn't answer well at all with what Jesus

would have said and that is why the thing is such a load of crapola.

Since the site is not attempting to say that it is an official text you can't simply writr it of as crapola simply cause Jesus didn't win the arguement tongue.gif

This is the same kind of material that can be found on all of the religious threads on this and many other boards. It happens again and again.

One group uses logic, the other magic/mystical. The two are never going to mix. Discussions may start out nice enough, but in the end it comes down to faith. Western religious beliefs require a degree of faith to be accepted. There is nothing wrong with that, and whatever works for a person is wonderful. Logical folk generally measure evidence and believability on a different scale than do religious folks. Neither is necessarily wrong, just different.

The logical folk question religious beliefs using some degree of logic to try and understand the belief system of the religious folks. Western religion is not based on any logic, and can't really be answered in a logical scientific manner so it seems to generate more and more questions, leading to more illogical answers... round and round you go until the thread is locked...

Well....debate or no debate, I will say I found that a very entertaining read altogether grin2.gif As one sided as some people are claiming it to be, most of 'Jesus'" answers were the very responses I've seen and read during our own debates huh.gif

I'm not going to get into the "is it true/not true" aspect, since that's been done to death, and I'm rather bored of it all...but I do think whoever wrote that deserves a medal for sheer comic genius grin2.gif

round and round you go until the thread is locked...

Indeed, but we are getting our post no. increased for ecentially saying the same thing over and over tongue.gif