Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"teleporting" in bible Scriptures

Karlis

Can miracles be explained rationally, through use of "power of mind over matter"? For example, could the numerous examples of "teleporting" in the Bible Scriptures be examples of psychic powers?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• will_1835

• Karlis

• Beckys_Mom

• Rosewin

Top Posters In This Topic

Can miracles be explained rationally, through use of "power of mind over matter"? For example, could the numerous examples of "teleporting" in the Bible Scriptures be examples of psychic powers?

In a word - no! Or maybe, I don't know. I just got excited when I read your topic. Way to go! :) Nice topic!!!!!!!!

Its called "poetic licence". You see it all the time in stories and in movies.

Rather than document a tedious movement from one scene to the next (and the boat sailed, and sailed, boobing on the waves, and sailed some more, eventually sailing right into the port of.... ), the authers cut from the scene of one action, to the next exciting episode.

Take ant TV serial for example. "Starsky & Hutch":

Monday April 21, hunt down serial killer. Catch same, have three or four dramtic gunfights..... Kill killer.

Tuesday April 22, hunt down lethal drug dealer, catch same, have a dramatic gunfight, kill drug dealer.

In reality, the "episodes" of a tv drama are the highlights of the characters lives. Who would want to watch an hour of the two heroes filling out reports and filing paperwork? Just as in the bible, the authers cut to the next important scene, leaving out the tedious, humdrum, minutiae of the day.

Edited by JMPD1

Where does the Bible ever mention teleporting?

... You see it all the time in stories and in movies.

... Just as in the bible, the authers cut to the next important scene, leaving out the tedious, humdrum, minutiae of the day.

That's fascinating, JMPD1 -- do you mean that writers of 2000 years ago used today's script-writing techniques? B)

Hmm good question Karlis...(one that I can't answer lol) its a pity you didnt have an article on this...it would make an interesting read

Only because I beleive in miricles!! yea im a tad baised !!!!!!! ^_^

Where does the Bible ever mention teleporting?
Hi will_1835 -- the word "teleporting" is a word used in today's language. That word never existed in olden days. However, there are numerous examples of teleporting in the bible Scriptures. Here is just one such example ... what do you make of it?

Joh 6:21 Then they willingly received Him into the boat. And immediately the boat was at the land where they were going.

Cheers,

Karlis

Hi will_1835 -- the word "teleporting" is a word used in today's language. That word never existed in olden days. However, there are numerous examples of teleporting in the bible Scriptures. Here is just one such example ... what do you make of it?

Joh 6:21 Then they willingly received Him into the boat. And immediately the boat was at the land where they were going.

Cheers,

Karlis

I bet jonah wished he was on that boat, it would have saved him all that trouble with the fish. :P

Cheers,

Karlis

Someone climbed on to the boat and they traveled to where they wanted to go...thats what I make of it...it doesnt say anything about mental moving power

Some things we cannot explain are of course mind over matter but others are the spirits and some are the Spirit. God will not move a penny through the air for show and tell nor will He act like a poltergeist.

Edited by Clovis

Cheers,

Karlis

It just says they arrived to where they were going.

Besides, the phrase "και ευθεως εγενετο"-"and immediately it happened", is an figure of speech used often in the New Testament. It does not imply that there was any kind of magical thing happening.

But I always encourage analyizing the Scriptures for the not-so-obvious...

It is interesting, sort of off topic. We have a word in English, that comes from Coptic. The last form of the Ancient Egyptian language, which a lot of the Bible versions were translated into in the early church. The word is "to go from one place to another". The word is "ooarp" or "warp". (I'm not at home, so I can't write in coptic on this computer) Funny word. From Egyptian. Makes me think of UFO stuff with pyramids :)

Someone climbed on to the boat and they traveled to where they wanted to go...thats what I make of it...it doesnt say anything about mental moving power
Hi and g'day B_Mom -- please consider the word "immediately", in this report. Here is an excerpt from a Bible Commentary, for your consideration:

"... and immediately the ship was at the land whither they went; which was done, as Nonnus observes, by a divine motion; for not only the wind ceased, but another miracle was wrought; the ship was in an instant at the place whither they intended to go (John Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible).

Your comment?

Karlis

Hi and g'day B_Mom -- please consider the word "immediately", in this report. Here is an excerpt from a Bible Commentary, for your consideration:

"... and immediately the ship was at the land whither they went; which was done, as Nonnus observes, by a divine motion; for not only the wind ceased, but another miracle was wrought; the ship was in an instant at the place whither they intended to go (John Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible).

Your comment?

Karlis

well Karlis..I just read will_1837 posy and umm...

Besides, the phrase "και ευθεως εγενετο"-"and immediately it happened", is an figure of speech used often in the New Testament. It does not imply that there was any kind of magical thing happening.

If he is right then I'll piggy back will_1835 :lol:

seriously though I doubt they teleported back then...

well Karlis..I just read will_1837 posy and umm...

If he is right then I'll piggy back will_1835 :lol:

seriously though I doubt they teleported back then...

Hi -- will_1835 is correct. Even before I made my earlier post, I checked the the word "immediately" in Strong's, and found that same information; also other Bible Commentators confirm will_1835's comment.

However, the point is that this word also can mean exactly what I posted. A word can be understood in different contexts.

And, by the way, there are other instances of teleporting in the bible. :)

Cheers,

Karlis

Hi -- will_1835 is correct. Even before I made my earlier post, I checked the the word "immediately" in Strong's, and found that same information; also other Bible Commentators confirm will_1835's comment.

However, the point is that this word also can mean exactly what I posted. A word can be understood in different contexts.

This is another reason WHY I dont like to follow that bible..all this - out of context nonsense...were you have to sit and try and make sense from a passage etc..nuts to that...if you are going to write words that are meant to be TRUTH, then stick with the words written and not a bunch of metaphores all over it...

And, by the way, there are other instances of teleporting in the bible. :)

Good for you...why not post a bunch and see what others make of it...! :)

This is another reason WHY I dont like to follow that bible..all this - out of context nonsense...were you have to sit and try and make sense from a passage etc..nuts to that...
Hi B_Mom -- regarding "out of context nonsense" :P

Here is an example of how a simple statement from your above post can have a different interpretation, apart of the one you meant to convey. :devil:

You wrote: "I dont like to follow that bible".

A literal translation of that could picture a bible walking ahead of you -- and you -- refusing to follow behind it. :)

Ah, the power behind the meaning of words ... think about this, please. B)

Cheers,

Karlis

I'm pretty sure the "Philip was found at Azotus" account in the book of Acts would qualify as a teleportation.

Many Catholic people believe that Padre Pios (sp) had the gift of bilocation as well as the stigmata.

I'm pretty sure the "Philip was found at Azotus" account in the book of Acts would qualify as a teleportation.

Agreed. Acts 8:

36 As they traveled along the road, they came to some water and the eunuch said, "Look, here is water. Why shouldn't I be baptized?"

37 Philip said, "If you believe with all your heart, you may." The eunuch answered, "I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God."

38 And he gave orders to stop the chariot. Then both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water and Philip baptized him.

39 When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord suddenly took Philip away, and the eunuch did not see him again, but went on his way rejoicing.

40 Philip, however, appeared at Azotus and traveled about, preaching the gospel in all the towns until he reached Caesarea.

Seems to be via the Spirit of the Lord in this case.

Many Catholic people believe that Padre Pios (sp) had the gift of bilocation as well as the stigmata.

As many will say, "a fanatical believer will believe many myths", Yetihunter. :w00t:The tough question remains: "What is truth"?

Since I tend to be a believer, I think Philip was "transported = by teleportation (???)" some 30-plus miles from the baptism site of the eunuch to Azotus.

Of course, the Greek language can also be interpreted to mean that he was (at some undetermined time, later) at Azotus, having arrived there by walking on his own two feet. However, the descriptive phrase, "the Spirit of the Lord caught Philip away" is then left begging for an answer, is it not?

Some prophets of olden times also experienced such teleportation, according to bible Scriptures. Whether one believes such events can have happened is another question.

Act 8:38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still. And they both went down into the water, both Philip and the eunuch. And he baptized him.

Act 8:39 And when they had come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught Philip away, so that the eunuch saw him no more. And he went on his way rejoicing.

Act 8:40 But Philip was found at Azotus.

Hmm I have not looked into the Greek for the encounter of Phillip and the Ethiopian but there can be another context to it. If we see that the eunuch told Phillip he could not understand the Scripture. As some know it takes the Spirit to be able to understand what is being read at times, to get the full living meaning, rather than the academic interpretation of certain passages. Phillip the told him the good news about Jesus. Then it says he baptized him and when he came out of the water that 'the Spirit of the Lord suddenly took Philip away' and the eunuch did not see him again.

What is clear is the eunuch already believed but after he was told the good news he believed even further. That means the Spirit was at work within the eunuch his problem of the Scripture not making sense was solved. Asking to be baptized is proof enough of that. My question is what reason would the miracle of transportation be for? There is no one to convince of anything the eunuch was already convinced and even though it does not say he received the Spirit it is implied that he did by finally understanding Scripture.

Maybe 'the Spirit of the Lord suddenly took Philip away' is a way of saying that Phillip was in the Spirit aka the Spirit rose within him full force (possessed him momentarily). I have seen baptisms where right after they occur people break out into the Spirit, rejoicing God. It does say the eunuch did not see Phillip again and went on rejoicing. Then that Phillip was in Azotus.

I know if someone had baptized me and then vanished I would be like woah what just happened. Was he an angel or what or why did he vanish? It makes more sense that after the baptism that they both rejoiced and spent some time before departing the usual way with Phillip then walking to Azotus. And since then the eunuch never saw Philip again. Just my take on it through the experiences I have had before.

If we do read a bit up in vs. 15-17 we can see that receiving the Spirit was important to someone who had not until then had it but believed. When Simon the mage who had also believed and been baptized ask to pay them to receive the power to give the Spirit to others they told him it was not for sale and told him in a blunt way that was the wrong attitude to have as a believer.

For me the greatest miracle in the chapter is the angel telling Phillip where to go and to wait for the eunuch who was a high Ethiopian official. God knew he was struggling and sent Phillip to help him through. It is the same way God sends people to us and sends us to others when we need help at times with something.

As as I said this is just my take on it and the possibility of Phillip being transported is still there because through God all things are possible.

Edited by Clovis

I just put stuff out there. Once I went to a service and saw a faith healer. Alot of people went up for prayer, but one I remember vividly. This young boy (about 10 or 12) walks up and he's got one of those "elevator" type shoes on. It's like 2 1/2 or 2 inches high and the other shoe is normal. Obviously the boy had one leg shorter than the other. The "healer" puts the boy in a chair and extends his legs. They look even to me. I'm standing right up front. I can see the whole thing. As the man of God prays I see the "short" leg stretch out; farther than the other and then shrink back a bit. When the boy stands up he's now off kilter to the other side. His legs are now the same length and he has to take off his shoes to walk around properly. Obviously, I can't prove it was a miracle, or that the boy was healed by faith, but I definitely saw his leg move without being touched! I'm just giving this as an example. I also saw Chris Angel Mindfreak go through a plane glass window, so I know all about illusions.

Agreed. Acts 8:

36 As they traveled along the road, they came to some water and the eunuch said, "Look, here is water. Why shouldn't I be baptized?"

37 Philip said, "If you believe with all your heart, you may." The eunuch answered, "I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God."

38 And he gave orders to stop the chariot. Then both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water and Philip baptized him.

39 When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord suddenly took Philip away, and the eunuch did not see him again, but went on his way rejoicing.

40 Philip, however, appeared at Azotus and traveled about, preaching the gospel in all the towns until he reached Caesarea.

Seems to be via the Spirit of the Lord in this case.

I've heard this one before. I would disagree that this is literally describing teleportation. I think it is just more of a choppy writing style.

However, it is a much better argument than the other passage that has been cited. Thank you.

Here is a comparison of a few different English renditions of the passage. Seems like some make it sound more like "teleportation", while others use a language that does not....

(ALT) Now when they came up out of the water, [the] Spirit of the Lord caught Philip up, and the eunuch no longer saw him, for he began going his way rejoicing.

(ASV) And when they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip; and the eunuch saw him no more, for he went on his way rejoicing.

(BBE) And when they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord took Philip away; and the Ethiopian saw him no more, for he went on his way full of joy.

(Bishops) And assoone as they were come out of the water, the spirite of ye Lorde caught away Philip, that the Eunuche sawe hym no more. And he went on his way reioycyng.

(CEV) After they had come out of the water, the Lord's Spirit took Philip away. The official never saw him again, but he was very happy as he went on his way.

(Darby) But when they came up out of the water the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, and the eunuch saw him no longer, for he went on his way rejoicing.

(DRB) And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord took away Philip: and the eunuch saw him no more. And he went on his way rejoicing.

(EMTV) Now when they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught up Philip, and the eunuch did not see him any longer; and he went on his way rejoicing.

(ESV) And when they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord carried Philip away, and the eunuch saw him no more, and went on his way rejoicing.

(GB) And assoone as they were come vp out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the Eunuche sawe him no more: so he went on his way reioycing.

(Geneva) And assoone as they were come vp out of the water, the Spirit of the Lorde caught away Philip, that the Eunuche sawe him no more: so he went on his way reioycing.

(GNB) When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord took Philip away. The official did not see him again, but continued on his way, full of joy.

(GW) When they had stepped out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord suddenly took Philip away. The official joyfully continued on his way and didn't see Philip again.

(HNV) When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught Philip away, and the eunuch didn't see him any more, for he went on his way rejoicing.

(ISV) When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord snatched Philip away. The eunuch went on his way rejoicing and did not see Philip again.

(KJV) And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.

(KJV-1611) And when they were come vp out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the Eunuch saw him no more: and hee went on his way reioycing.

(KJVA) And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.

(KJVR) And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.

(LITV) But when they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip. And the eunuch did not see him any more; for he went his way rejoicing.

(MKJV) And when they had come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught Philip away, so that the eunuch saw him no more. And he went on his way rejoicing.

(MSG) When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of God suddenly took Philip off, and that was the last the eunuch saw of him. But he didn't mind. He had what he'd come for and went on down the road as happy as he could be.

(Murdock) And when they came up from the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip; and the eunuch saw him no more; but he went on his way rejoicing.

(WEB) When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught Philip away, and the eunuch didn't see him any more, for he went on his way rejoicing.

(Webster) And when they had come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.

(WNT) But no sooner had they come up out of the water than the Spirit of the Lord caught Philip away, and the eunuch did not see him again. With a glad heart he resumed his journey;

(YLT) and when they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, and the eunuch saw him no more, for he was going on his way rejoicing;

I just put stuff out there. Once I went to a service and saw a faith healer. Alot of people went up for prayer, but one I remember vividly. This young boy (about 10 or 12) walks up and he's got one of those "elevator" type shoes on. It's like 2 1/2 or 2 inches high and the other shoe is normal. Obviously the boy had one leg shorter than the other. The "healer" puts the boy in a chair and extends his legs. They look even to me. I'm standing right up front. I can see the whole thing. As the man of God prays I see the "short" leg stretch out; farther than the other and then shrink back a bit. When the boy stands up he's now off kilter to the other side. His legs are now the same length and he has to take off his shoes to walk around properly. Obviously, I can't prove it was a miracle, or that the boy was healed by faith, but I definitely saw his leg move without being touched! I'm just giving this as an example. I also saw Chris Angel Mindfreak go through a plane glass window, so I know all about illusions.

So why can't these people heal amputees? If they can stretch limbs (which would be the creation of matter) then they should be able to regenerate limbs (which is also the creation of matter).