Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is the meaning of life?

Day Dreamer

Looky what I found ... while looking for links about the book 'The moral animal ' By Robert Wright . A book about the phsychological evolution of man that sounds really cool . I found Robert Wrights site called meaningoflife.tv However you should be prepared to use real player .

If you missed the first linker Here's another Click this one you can't miss it .....

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Talon

• moe eubleck

• PsychicPenguin

• joc

If not the oldest, then the most popular philosophical issue. The Holy Grail of philosophy, if you will.

It would be arrogant to claim to know the answer to this. Generations of human beings have questioned the very same thing, and more or less came up empty handed.

However, the quest for this truth has caused people, not only the socalled “great philosophers” to excel in thinking. Unfortunately, it is when people say they know, that things start to go bad. Religions claim to know the answer to this age old question and are far too often prepared to defend their beliefs in extrema.

I think that the fact alone, that humanity questions the meaning of life, might very well be the essence of it. As with the forementioned Holy Grail, it is the quest itself that is the answer.

The meaning of life is people questioning it.

That is my answer.

Edited by Phantom

I'm curious to find out what you guys think the meaning of life is. As for my self, I really have no idea at this stage in my life. Hopefully one day I will. Sorry for not elaborating further on the topic. I like to keep it short and sweet. happy.gif

-Rogers

PS. I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this, so if it is not just move it.

ah, a thread just like this one was started just a while back original.gif ill use the same line as before; the meaning of life is to search for the meaning of life! grin2.gif

Claiming life has meaning is implying their was some overall purpose for which life was 'created'. As an athiest however I believe life wasn't created, its a fluke of nature, an environmental accident that has been so successful it has lasted as long as it has to evolve into complex life forms. As a fluke there is no meaning, however if you really must have one than by taking evolution as the purpose, we can only deduct that the meaning of life is to survive, breed and so continue our species' (and our genes') survival.

*waits for Joc to take shots at him tongue.gif )

The meaning of life is the essential essence of nature, and the thankess of being able to have that. What I'm trying to say is that life is a mystery and that we at least should be thankful we have a life.

- UFOKid

Well all I can say is that the meaing of life in my eyes is in our eyes. Using words to express / discover the meaning reach a point where they have no effect and at that point pure experience and knowledge take over.

Eventually you will see there is no meaning in dictionary sense as everthing just is. Just to be I am is all.

This is what me thinks. Any opinions?

This is about the third 'meaning of life' thread I've posted in, but oh well tongue.gif

I don't need some kind of higher purpose to validate my existance...I'm here, and I'm happy with that. I'm not going to suddenly say "oh, what's the point of living anymore?" because I don't believe in god, or that I'm some cog in a gigantic, well planned out machine blink.gif

In my opinion, the meaning of life is simply to live it. If you need a purpose to it, then as human beings we have the ability to make one ourselves. The meaning of life is whatever you want it to be wink2.gif

In my case, the meaning of life is to take over the multiverse gunsmilie.gif

IMO there is no meaning to life.

I think that everyone would agree that something somewhere had to happen at sometime.

I think we are a product of that.

Cause if nothing had ever happened then there would nothing out there (or here)

I enjoy myself as much as possible and take that as the whole point of life. I don't see a reason to live in pain and suffering as some others do, I just wanna kick back and have fun. Honestly, if there is a heaven I doubt I would have got in anyway!

So have fun!! Time is a wastin' away wink2.gif

The meaning is...

Always look on the bright side of life, whistling2.gif turu turuturuturu

imho, the purpose of life is to experience emotion. it is only through happiness, sadness, anger and all the various emotions inbetween that we find ourselves. we must experience hate to know love. we must trespass against others to learn forgiveness. our emotions are extreme by nature and we must search for that middle ground of peace and comfort in them. i believe we all experience life many times over, again and again, as a way of learning what we need to learn to exist in a spiritual realm of peace and prosperity. for some, the journey is just beginning, but for others it is near completion.

while i dont believe a murderer can find Jesus and become an enlightened soul in that one instance, i believe that he may set himself upon a new path that could continue into other existances. we all make errors in judgement throughout our lives and we must address these errors in the next if we are to ever succeed in mastering our emotions and coming to know God.

Claiming life has meaning is implying their was some overall purpose for which life was 'created'. But life wasn't created, its a fluke of nature, an environmental accident that has been so successful it has lasted as long as it has to evolve into complex life forms. As a fluke there is no meaning, however if you really must have....

If something occurred that created life, can it really be a fluke? Maybe it was the rarest of the rare occurrences that led to the first, simplist life forms, without a God to create them. But then couldn't it also be looked upon as a design of nature somehow being a necessary part of the universe? If every effect had its cause in a chain of causality back to the beginning, then the appearance of life doesn't seem to be such a trifle - we were "meant" all along to be here.

If something occurred that created life, can it really be a fluke? Maybe it was the rarest of the rare occurrences that led to the first, simplist life forms, without a God to create them. But then couldn't it also be looked upon as a design of nature somehow being a necessary part of the universe? If every effect had its cause in a chain of causality back to the beginning, then the appearance of life doesn't seem to be such a trifle - we were "meant" all along to be here.

I understand your argument, don't agree with it, but I see your meaning. Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree grin2.gif

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree grin2.gif

You know, that has never happened here about that particular topic before. First time for everything, I suppose!

We cant comprehend the force wich created the universe... we are stuck with the basis of the laws of physics and nature and science... the truth is so far out of the box we cant think that far out of it.... all done and said... the meaning of life is to prep for death(or to move on as I believe)

You know, that has never happened here about that particular topic before. First time for everything, I suppose!

Well, when you're getting tired of debating the subject and you know nobodies going to produce an arguement that everyone agrees with, the above is the only logical decission grin2.gif

the meaning of life lies within your soul and your entire being. My meaning of life is much different than yours-we all have different reasons as to why we are here. thus the meaning of life. original.gif

In my opinion, the meaning of life is simply to live it.

How can this be happening?! ohmy.gif I once again agree with you! thumbsup.gif

How can this be happening?!  I once again agree with you!

Sera... Joc... in agreement... is this the 9th sign of the comming apocolypse?

[catholic reply]

to serve and please God by doing what he wants and finding true happiness. before you ask, how can you find true happpiness serving a being you never met, i tell you i mean heaven after death and the happiness of fulfilling Gods plan before death.

[catholic reply]