Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

night terrors

mystery mystique

when i was about five i started having something called night terrors. i dont know much about them, my parents refuse to tell me any details. but what i do know is that i would fall asleep and eventually begin screaming, thrashing, throwing objects, and other violent things. i would occasionally vomit, and once when my mother tried to wake me up i hurt her. i would wake up eventually in the mornings and wonder why everything was such a mess, and not remember a single thing. my parents took me to a doctor who diagnosed me with a non treatable sleeping disorder called night terrors, which explained everything except one thing. my mother told me that sometimes she would watch me sleep at night, and right before i became violent, i would mutter in what she thought was a foreign language, though to this day i only know english.

i know i must be crazy or something, but I'd just like to hear something, anything about it. my father denies me having these attacks, but he is very religious, and i think he might of suspected demonic possession. if you don't believe me, don't reply, i just want to know if anyone can explain this

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mystery mystique

• thatgrimlife

• Radian

• eight bits

Gosh, you could also be a sleep walker.. some people are known to sleep walk but act violently. So, it's not all the time that image of someone walking up and down the road at night without a clue but, can be much more sinister unknowing.

Gosh, you could also be a sleep walker.. some people are known to sleep walk but act violently. So, it's not all the time that image of someone walking up and down the road at night without a clue but, can be much more sinister unknowing.

thanks for the insight

Night terrors are common in young children, actually. In fact, children are more susceptible to them, if I remember correctly. It's actually a sleep disorder, and it is psychological.

Take a look at this for more information:

http://www.nightterrors.org/

Night terrors are common in young children, actually. In fact, children are more susceptible to them, if I remember correctly. It's actually a sleep disorder, and it is psychological.

[/quote

thanks, that should be a lot of help

No problem. I'm surprised I recalled hearing the term before.

lol, not many people have ever heard of night terrors

lol, not many people have ever heard of night terrors

I remember reading about it in a psychology text book in the second semester of my sophomore year in high school.

I remember reading about it in a psychology text book in the second semester of my sophomore year in high school.

nice. my sister is studying to become a psychologist

nice. my sister is studying to become a psychologist

Not me. Do you still have these night terrors, by any chance? I'll check back for an answer sometime tomorrow -- I'm going to bed. Or you can PM it to me.

but i still wonder about the foreign language thing. can anyone explain that, because I'm very curious and a little worried about it

Not me. Do you still have these night terrors, by any chance? I'll check back for an answer sometime tomorrow -- I'm going to bed. Or you can PM it to me.

no, i stopped having them about a year or two later. my information is a little vague. for some reason my parents don't like to talk about it

It is disconcerting when somebody knows something about your personal history which you do not. On the other hand, people are often reluctant to discuss emotionally upsetting or traumatic events.

Your episodes must have been very painful and frightening for your parents, regardless of their religious beliefs. Perhaps there will come a time when they are more comfortable discussing the matter. It would probably hasten the day if you were open with them and tell them frankly how important it is to you to know more about this "blank page" in your personal history.

You write from the United States. As a matter of law, you have a right to examine your medical records. Apart from the legal situation, your parents may cooperate in your talking things over with the physician, including his or her discussing with you what they reported. That may be easier for your parents than discussing it themselves, or your suggesting the possibility may serve as an "ice-breaker" to bring the topic into the light.

I believe I can help with one part of your report

i would mutter in what she thought was a foreign language, though to this day i only know english.

We have "detectors" in our nervous system for a variety of environmental features. For example, our attention is drawn to faces, whether of people, animals, minimal drawings of faces, like "smilies," :) , or even accidental configurations on grilled cheese sandwiches. The detectors "fire" when something is "close enough" to a face, whether it is a face or not.

A common kind of "detector" is for the distinctive patterning of sound in language production. If you walked down the street, and passed two people conversing in Turkish, you would not know what they were saying, you probably would not know it was Turkish, but you would sense that it was human language. That would be true even if all other cues were removed, and you just heard the sounds.

It is easy for a human being to make "speech like" sounds that are not genuine speech, but close enough to be (mis)recognized as language production. Take a six year-old English speaker to a subtitled Samurai movie. He doesn't speak Japanese, but on the way out of the theater, there is a good chance that he will have learned to make sounds that you recognize as "imitation Japanese."

If you don't speak Japanese either, then you may even find the resemblance eerie. But it is just that human beings are good at all aspects of language use. It is a distinctive skill of our species.

That is all that happened. It is eerie, and the effect can be heightened if the sound maker is unconscious, and the event is known to be a precursor of other dramatic behavior. If you add further personal beliefs that such things may be "signs of the Holy Spirit," or in the alternative "demonic attack," then the stage is set for a truly frightened reaction.

I am happy to hear that your sleep disorder itself has gone away. I hope that your lingering "blank page" is filled in someday soon. In the meantime, I hope that what I have written is some help to you in understanding one small part of these events.

no, i stopped having them about a year or two later. my information is a little vague. for some reason my parents don't like to talk about it

Then it was just the episode common in young children, I'm sure.

Then it was just the episode common in young children, I'm sure.

thank you for doing your best to answer my questions. I'll be sure to try to talk to my parents again.

I used to get them when I was a kid, but eventually grew out of them completely.

I have a few scattered memories of what I did during some which strangely came to me a long time after. When I think back to it I get the feeling I was acting completely on instinct and couldn't help what I was doing at the time, even though I was able to talk to people. Really odd :o

Edited by Finity

Good luck.

Hi there!

No one thinks your crazy silly. You obviously haven't looked at a lot of post around here. :wacko: Just recently I read a post by someone that said they were from the future. They were communicating via the internet w/ a software that allowed them to go to the internet of the past and make post! :rofl: Even then, people here gave him a fair shot at proving his claim. They asked him rational, reasonable questions and he gave generic, empty answers. Much like a politician! Or, how bout the many people that believe our world exist in a matrix. Much like the Movie. That we are but pieces in sick game or experiment and nothing we currently perceive is real. :w00t: !

Sooooo, again, you are not crazy!

I am going to address your foreign language question first. What Eight bits posted the his/her reply sounds plausible. I believe that I suffered from NT (still do occasionally) and use to do all sorts of things in my sleep, including walking, talking, screaming, jumping out of bed, and mumbling. I have been told by my parents and friends that one time I might talk plain and clear. I'd even appear to be wide awake and hold a conversation for a short time before they realized I was sleeping. What I am wondering about you is Do you think you may have been mumbling and your mom thought this sounded like a foreign language? Did she ever try to write down any of the words that she thought sounded like foreign language? Or did she by chance ever record you? Even if she didn't there may be something you said more than once OR some word or phrase you said that you repeated a lot that she may still remember. You might want to ask her. All she can say is no.

I really don't think you need to worry about demonic possession. I'm not saying that I don't believe this can happen. But I don't think that it only occurs when you sleep. Ya know? I can imagine that no matter what caused these episodes (for the record I do think they were NT), it must have been very hard on your parents. I am a mother and I can't stand when my child is in pain or distress. All any loving parent want's to do is make it better for their children. We want to take away there pain, and ease their fears. And when we can't figure out what is causing the problem OR how to fix it, it is sooooo frustrating! It's kind of like when a mom brings home a new babyfrom the hospital. For one of many reasons, the baby cries, and cries, and cries. They try everything anyone suggest. Nothing helps. Mom naps for an hour or 2 at a time while sleeping upright in a chair. Eventually,the mom get's incredibly sleep deprived, and very tired. After about 3 or 4 days like this all mom can do is cry too! That's when hopefully her mom, or someone comes in and helps w/ the baby so she can rest. :sleepy: LOL! So, again, this was most likely very hard on your parents. I can understand why they don't like to talk about it. The only possible paranormal thing I would suspect would be that : Maybe you were picking up on some negative energy from something that happened in the past at the house or property where you lived. People say that we all have psychic abilities to some degree and children seem to be more sensitive than anyone else in these abilities. Did these experiences start and/or stop when you moved to or from a location? If not, I'd say it was probably what you and others suspect and say it was Night Terrors.

Below I am gonna post a link to a post I made in which I talked more about Night terrors specifically. You may want to check it out .

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum...t&p=2091621

finally, I'd like to say that I am glad you don't have them anymore.

TC,

star****

Edited by starlight64