Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Have you ever heard...?

whimsicalreverie

Hi, I didn't know where to put this topic under, but I was curious, what is the first thing your mind usually thinks about when you wake up?

If it's not what dream I was having, then I will automatically hear or wake up to a song already in my head. Sometimes it seems significant to what I was thinking about the day before, other times, it will just be a song that comes out of nowhere. :hmm:

And I'll notice that it's sometimes only certain lyrics that will be stuck in my head. One time, I had the lyrics, "Some people live their dreams, some people close their eyes, some people's destiny... passes by." stuck in my head upon waking up for a whole week.

Is this something my subconscious or unconscious is trying to tell me? And why is it that I will wake up to songs stuck in my head in the first place? Sometimes they will be songs I haven't even thought about or heard for months, or even longer. It'll just come out of the blue.

Anyways, so I was just curious, does this happen to you? And if so, do you think the songs are meaningless, or is there a reason they're popping up first thing during the waking up process?

And what other things does your mind automatically think about/hear/or see when you first wake up?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• whimsicalreverie

• Pelican_Eel

• Radian

• gigs

well... sometimes it's a song, but very very rarely. once it was a poem. but usually, especially if I must get up early, with alarm clock, it would be like visions - simply dreams, I guess - moods, some strange...convictions. Like, memory of a forest of large, gigantic anchors, I remember this one from childhood... another time, the sensation of world around as a negative - like, there were valleys instead of mountains and the opposite, holes instead of things... It's just dreams.

The thing that amazes me the most, is that when I wake up, for a while I don't remember the situation completely, what day is today, what must I do, what happened yesterday - I love this state of mind, when I just lie there blank, then, slowly, memories come back.

edit:

oh, and if I wake up with a sore throat, for example, I get all kinds of these... let's say, fantasies. Sometimes I feel my throat like a copper tube, or a ball stuck in it, other times I imagine it being all cracked. Crazy things.

Edited by justejust

usually in the morning, I am on auto-pilot. No thoughts, no songs, no poems at all. I head straight to the john to pee, wash up, then get breakfast going. It isn't until after my first cup of coffee when my mind clicks on and starts to race about the things I need to do, what happened yesterday, etc.

:P And here I thought this thread was gone into oblivion. :P

Usually when I wake up I will either instantly remember my dream (which I love, most of the times ;P), think about how busy my day is going to be, or hear a song. And sometimes it's a song I haven't heard in ages.

justejust, that's interesting that you have a lot of visions like that when you wake up. :\ Usually that happens to me when I'm drifting off to sleep. I will just see a whole bunch of random images. ...And I do agree with you about just lying in bed and not remembering anything, just maybe feeling comfortable and content about lying in bed and not having a care in the world. ;P Unfortunately that only happens on the mornings where I don't have to work. XP

...That's interesting about a poem though. :\ Mind me asking which poem? :)

usually in the morning, I am on auto-pilot. No thoughts, no songs, no poems at all. I head straight to the john to pee, wash up, then get breakfast going. It isn't until after my first cup of coffee when my mind clicks on and starts to race about the things I need to do, what happened yesterday, etc.

I do this sometimes too, where my body just automatically knows what I'm supposed to do, like get dressed, brush my teeth, and so on, and I won't really think about anything except how tired I am. :P

Anyways, thanks for the replies! ^^

And I woke up with Over and Over, by Breaking Benjamin in my head today. XP

...I use too many emoticons. :rolleyes:

I seem to hear the click " ON " before the music on my alarm. M - F

On the Weekends I wake up to my kids , and think Damn how long have they been up , and what

have they gotten into now ? That or fighting and crying or Momma Were hungry . It's light time,

wake up. It is not Dark time . Kids ages are 4 , 4 and 8 at my house.

I seem to hear the click " ON " before the music on my alarm. M - F

On the Weekends I wake up to my kids , and think Damn how long have they been up , and what

have they gotten into now ? That or fighting and crying or Momma Were hungry . It's light time,

wake up. It is not Dark time . Kids ages are 4 , 4 and 8 at my house.

Oh, yikes. ;P Sounds like a handful to me.

I'm one of those sleepers who has to have absolute quite or white noise in order to sleep. If a random dog barks, or I hear traffic in the streets, bass from neighbors playing, I will not be able to go to sleep. XP And it's the same for waking up. Any little noise will most likely wake me up. So I feel for you in that regards. ;P Now I have to have a fan going on in my room in order to block all other outside noises. But since you have kids, you might not have that luxury. :\

Do you at least have some time in the evenings to just relax and take a nap or snooze, meditate, anything like that? Get some peaceful thoughts going, at least? ;)

Yes and no , I work full time and going through a divorce. I have a lot going on , with the kids , myself

and the X ! The week before my birthday it will be final ! That is a heck of a present , since I asked for

the divorce !!

My quiet time to relax is now on the computer.

...That's interesting about a poem though. :\ Mind me asking which poem?

oh it was Edgar Allan Poe, my favourite, "for Annie". Only the part:

"My tantalized spirit

Here blandly reposes,

Forgetting, or never

Regretting its roses-"

over and over in my head.

oh it was Edgar Allan Poe, my favourite, "for Annie". Only the part:

"My tantalized spirit

Here blandly reposes,

Forgetting, or never

Regretting its roses-"

over and over in my head.

Oh okay, thanks. :)

That sounds like a very beautiful and kind of sad verse too.

And yes, I've often had times where I will just recite the same words or lyrics over and over in my head, from when I wake up all throughout the day. And I hate it when I'm trying to think of a particular song or saying, and it's on the tip of my tongue, but I can't remember it. XP Drives me crazy. :P

The first thought used to be "where's my smokes" but since I quit.....My first thought is then about hoping there something nice in my email....

Sometimes songs from video games will pop into my head upon waking up.Probably because i've played them the night before.Like tail's theme song,that will randomly get get in my head.

The first thought used to be "where's my smokes" but since I quit.....My first thought is then about hoping there something nice in my email....

Oh good you quit. ^^ I wish my Mom had quit smoking, and I wish my sister would. Now I'm wondering if that's the first thing my sister thinks about. ;P

Sometimes songs from video games will pop into my head upon waking up.Probably because i've played them the night before.Like tail's theme song,that will randomly get get in my head.

Oh don't even get me started on that. ;P When I used to play Zelda, that Goron's theme song used to be stuck in my head, and same with just random themes from video games I can't even remember. :P They'll just play over and over in my head and I'll literally want to drown my brain or something. ;P

First thing I think of in the morning is wondering how fast I can get ready for school without being late (I'm usually late anyway). On the weekends or holidays, usually wake up thinking about a song, and I usually I can't get it out of my head until I listen to the song.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, I didn't know where to put this topic under, but I was curious, what is the first thing your mind usually thinks about when you wake up?

I think, Can I reach the button on the alarm to get 5 more minutes in without having to move too much--

I'm normally thinking about what time it is or what I was dreaming about.

Sometimes I remember the dreams when I wake up then I have to lie in bed and play them out. But everyday I wake up with a song in my head no matter what, on most days the song follows me through out the day.

The concept of thought is entirely absent as I am too focused on trying to wake up. :P

I usually just get up and go otherwise I know I will never get up out of bed :D

But there are instances were a song or saying will just pop into my mind which I have not heard for in ages which seem so appropriate for the mood or situation I find myself in at the time...

If I can lie in then I normally just fall asleep again until my cat demands that she wants food...

• 2 weeks later...

I used to pay no attention to it.. But, the day I found my father dead I woke up to a voice in my head telling me that I would find him. The voice was very clear, it was neither male or female. That's been years ago. Since that time I've learned to listen to that voice, or loud thought in my mind. It's as soon as I awake. Not get up, but as soon as my mind is open to being awake. Now, when I hear it, I listen. It has told me things, prepared me for things, almost given me inside knowledge to things, I otherwise shouldn't or wouldn't know. It's told me other's secrets, and lies, their real intentions etc,. It's an Amazing thing really.

If it's not what dream I was having, then I will automatically hear or wake up to a song already in my head. Sometimes it seems significant to what I was thinking about the day before, other times, it will just be a song that comes out of nowhere. :hmm:

And I'll notice that it's sometimes only certain lyrics that will be stuck in my head. One time, I had the lyrics, "Some people live their dreams, some people close their eyes, some people's destiny... passes by." stuck in my head upon waking up for a whole week.

Is this something my subconscious or unconscious is trying to tell me? And why is it that I will wake up to songs stuck in my head in the first place? Sometimes they will be songs I haven't even thought about or heard for months, or even longer. It'll just come out of the blue.

Anyways, so I was just curious, does this happen to you? And if so, do you think the songs are meaningless, or is there a reason they're popping up first thing during the waking up process?

And what other things does your mind automatically think about/hear/or see when you first wake up?

As for me? I've had the theme song to "Rocko's Modern Life" stuck in my head for almost a full two weeks now. I've tried and I've tried to get it out of my head, even trying to force another song in, but, to no avail. I'm doomed to "Rocko's Modern Life" for however long it plays itself out.

But, on a more supernatural note: I've experienced being woke up by knocking several times, only to go and find that no one's at the door doing the knocking. That I've never been able to explain. It's creepy to wake up like that though.

As for me? I've had the theme song to "Rocko's Modern Life" stuck in my head for almost a full two weeks now. I've tried and I've tried to get it out of my head, even trying to force another song in, but, to no avail. I'm doomed to "Rocko's Modern Life" for however long it plays itself out.

But, on a more supernatural note: I've experienced being woke up by knocking several times, only to go and find that no one's at the door doing the knocking. That I've never been able to explain. It's creepy to wake up like that though.

Man that is creepy!

Sometimes I do also get a song I've not heard for ages pop into my head and the lyrics are significant (not always upon waking up tho) so I think it is a deeper part of me trying to give me a piece of advice or something. Thoughts upon waking up can be really bizarr! for instance once I woke and thought I had an infinite number of tiny Michael Jackson stickers stuck all throughout my body. Also, sometimes It seems as tho I hear a sound in my half wake half sleep state just before I hear it in 'real' life, it's strange.

Speaking of songs and sleeping, sometimes I can have the most amazing experience waking up to a song on the radio, music just seems to sound so much more beautiful when woken up to - providing its nice to listen to in the first place that is.