Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World Wide Telescope

Kryso

I stumbled on this site the other day, just thought a few might be interested? Its a free download!

The WorldWide Telescope (WWT) is a Web 2.0 visualization software environment that enables your computer to function as a virtual telescope—bringing together imagery from the best ground and space-based telescopes in the world for a seamless exploration of the universe.

(Above taken from website. © 2008 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved)

WWT Link

What you need to run it...

* Microsoft® XP SP2 (minimum), Windows® Vista® (recommended)

* PC with Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 2 gigahertz (GHz) or faster, recommended

* 1 gigabyte (GB) of RAM; 2 GB RAM recommended

* 3D accelerated card with 128 megabytes (MB) RAM; discrete graphics card with dedicated 256-MB VRAM recommended for higher performance

* 1 GB of available hard disk space; 10 GB recommended for off-line features and higher performance browsing

* XGA (1024 x 768) or higher resolution monitor

* Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing and scrolling device

* Microsoft® DirectX® version 9.0c and .NET Framework 2.0

* Required for some features; Internet connection at 56 Kbps or higher through either an Internet service provider (ISP) or a network. Internet access might require a separate fee to an ISP; local or long-distance telephone charges might also apply

Mine run seamlessly, but I do have a 4 gig, dual core computer. But it is an amazing program.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kryso

• questionmark

• Admiral Danger

• crtDzyn

the disapointing part is that you cant look at planets :(

the disapointing part is that you cant look at planets :(

You can zoom in and see them from the angle that they would be seen from the night sky!

I wish I had a computer fast enough to handle this because it's a very cool idea.

You can zoom in and see them from the angle that they would be seen from the night sky!

but it would have been a good idea to have them together in the solar system so it would be easier to find manualy rather than to type it in and to look at planets outside the solar system like pegasi b or something.

I'd like a interface to position my scope to the same position I am looking at on the screen. This software has its shortcomings but is probably one of the best planetarium softwares I have seen.

I found it a bit disappointing. I thought it was going to be more of a 3D thing, not just a collage of pictures <_< .

I found it a bit disappointing. I thought it was going to be more of a 3D thing, not just a collage of pictures <_< .

There are very few 3d images of space.

I stumbled on this site the other day, just thought a few might be interested? Its a free download!

(Above taken from website. © 2008 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved)

WWT Link

What you need to run it...

* Microsoft® XP SP2 (minimum), Windows® Vista® (recommended)

* PC with Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 2 gigahertz (GHz) or faster, recommended

* 1 gigabyte (GB) of RAM; 2 GB RAM recommended

* 3D accelerated card with 128 megabytes (MB) RAM; discrete graphics card with dedicated 256-MB VRAM recommended for higher performance

* 1 GB of available hard disk space; 10 GB recommended for off-line features and higher performance browsing

* XGA (1024 x 768) or higher resolution monitor

* Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing and scrolling device

* Microsoft® DirectX® version 9.0c and .NET Framework 2.0

* Required for some features; Internet connection at 56 Kbps or higher through either an Internet service provider (ISP) or a network. Internet access might require a separate fee to an ISP; local or long-distance telephone charges might also apply

Mine run seamlessly, but I do have a 4 gig, dual core computer. But it is an amazing program.

WOW WOW WOW!!!! I know I feel like I am in a planeterium cant thank you enough sometime you get one right and you sure did on this... :yes: