Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does TAPS Fake Their Evidence?

Korbus

I'm not sure if this topic has come up before. My apologies if it's been played out. However, it is something I'm interested in discussing and hearing opinions on if anyone is willing.

My question is simply this: Is TAPS faking evidence? Or perhaps it isn't TAPS, but Sci Fi and the production team themselves, I don't know. What I do know, however, is that there is something strange going on.

Look at this site here to see a claim that doctored FLIR footage was used on the "Manson Murders" epsiode: http://www.skepticalviewer.com/doctored-manson-flir/

Look at this page to see how it's likely someone (possibly Grant) faked a moving lamp: http://www.skepticalviewer.com/the-incredi...ving-lamp-cord/

Or look here at evident from the Crescent Hotel that more than likely should be have been tossed. You remember the military man, with cap and the number 2 emblazened on him, right? It was Grant!!: http://www.ultimatetechlinks.com/CrescentHotelAnalysis.html

I know the show Ghost Hunters and TAPS have a pretty good reputation and criticizing them can be like hocking a loogie on the Pope, but c'mon. Take a look at this stuff and let us know your thoughts. Is it TAPS faking evidence? Is it Sci Fi's editting only that is arousing suspicion? Is something strange indeed going on here?

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Korbus

• JustNormal

• The Paranormal Skeptic

• Radian

I don't think they try hard enough to verify their evidence, and they don't throw enough questionable stuff out, and of course certain things are played up for the show, but I don't believe they intentionally fake anything.

What I find odd and worrying is how episode after episode of the current season keeps bringing more and more amazing evidence. It's a bit suspicious but I have a feeling it's just that Sci Fi has been working hard to get them into the best possible places for investigations.

I think you are both right. They don't try hard enough to throw stuff out. Let's face it...ratings are higher when every place they go is "haunted," right?

And look, I've been influenced by TAPS myself. A lot of people interested in the paranormal have. But something strange is going on there. To me it shouldn't matter if you're a fan of Ghost Hunters or not. The three links I provided are really just the tip of the iceberg. Those, and along with other things I've noticed...it's only getting on my nerves more and more.

What I find odd and worrying is how episode after episode of the current season keeps bringing more and more amazing evidence. It's a bit suspicious but I have a feeling it's just that Sci Fi has been working hard to get them into the best possible places for investigations.

The only reply I can make to that is....we all seem to understand that just because a place might be haunted doesn't mean anything will happen the night you go to investigate, right? I mean, my team has gone to private homes and had stuff go on one night, then the next time we go nothing happens. And vice versa.

What makes it suspcious to me is why is it that TAPS seems to capture this amazing evidence in their first time everywhere?

Its true. you never know what sci-fi is pressing behind the sceens for ratings. I can remember a lot of the old episodes where they really didn't catch nothin. Might be cause for lower viewers. Just a thought. I respected them for how they used to investigate. Now it definitely seems like they are getting more and better evidence. Why weren't they getting all this great evidence when they started. I definitely think there is something not right with how its going. Well see next wed. how it is this time i guess. I still watch it, but it would be nice to be able to trust the source!

If TAPS was found out to be faking, that would be such a blow. It would strip away any inkling towards the possibility of an afterlife in my mind. They better not be faking.

Its true. you never know what sci-fi is pressing behind the sceens for ratings. I can remember a lot of the old episodes where they really didn't catch nothin. Might be cause for lower viewers. Just a thought. I respected them for how they used to investigate. Now it definitely seems like they are getting more and better evidence. Why weren't they getting all this great evidence when they started. I definitely think there is something not right with how its going. Well see next wed. how it is this time i guess. I still watch it, but it would be nice to be able to trust the source!

Yes, and let me make one other thing clear: I am not pointing my finger at anyone in particular. I simply don't have the evidence to do that. All I'm truly saying is that SOMETHING awful damn suspicious is going on, and it deserves a direct response from TAPS or Sci Fi. Their credibility alone should be worth some kind of explanation for these bizarre goings on.

it seems like they were super objective in the beginning to pave the way for more suprizing evidence to come into play later, and to have that built up respect for people to beleive the new evidence.

If TAPS was found out to be faking, that would be such a blow. It would strip away any inkling towards the possibility of an afterlife in my mind. They better not be faking.

It would certainly be a pretty big blow to the paranormal research field as a whole. For everyone that's faking evidence, there are literally hundreds upon hundreds of others who are simply doing damn good and honest work. However, with a show as significant in the field, should they be found to be faking evidence....it sets everyone back. It would be so easy for the skeptics who revel in this kind of thing to point at and laugh. And then it would be that much more difficult to build credibility for a future investigation group.

It's true that people would still be interested in the paranormal....but any group that got their own show would then be pressured to either turn fraudulent themselves and start faking, or get out of the industry because people aren't going to sit there and watch week after week when they aren't capturing much evidence. And it's pretty tough to capture consistent evidence. I doubt home viewers would stay tuned for much of that.

Yes, and let me make one other thing clear: I am not pointing my finger at anyone in particular. I simply don't have the evidence to do that. All I'm truly saying is that SOMETHING awful damn suspicious is going on, and it deserves a direct response from TAPS or Sci Fi. Their credibility alone should be worth some kind of explanation for these bizarre goings on.

You are right. All of you are. The 1st two seasons they rocked. But they went down hill fast after the manson house episode.

it seems like they were super objective in the beginning to pave the way for more suprizing evidence to come into play later, and to have that built up respect for people to beleive the new evidence.

You may well be onto something there. I think it's even possible that they were truthfully being more objective in the beginning. But then, the production company and Sci Fi got together because, lets face it, while Ghost Hunters had a following, it was nothing like what it is now. And they said basically, "Okay, what can we do to get ratings higher?" The answer...less objectivity in evidence. Start presenting stuff that looks cool at first glance, because most people aren't going to care one way or another. They just want to be entertained.

And, quite possibly, but hopefully not....FAKE IT.

The apparition on the cabinet door in the morgue is the kind of thing I meant by not trying hard enough to verify their evidence. Looking at the stills on that page, that's definitely Grant, and TAPS should have been the ones to catch that. On the clip of the lamp moving, one thing I noticed is that the lamp only moved when Grant was moving. It seemed like they were actually taking a break at the time, and he was just sitting there talking to someone. I think it's possible that his hand just found something to fidget with, and he ended up moving the lamp a little at a time unintentionally. But again, it should have been TAPS who caught that.

The timestamps and temperature readings do indeed appear to be tampered with. That whole episode was kind of a farce. It seemed like SciFi was seeing how sensational they could make the show without going too far. After that episode it seemed like they pulled way back. I hope this is just a stunt the production team pulled to try to make things more exciting, but it does cast serious doubt on TAPS's credibility. By not coming forward about it they're as good as complicit. After seeing that I don't think I can watch the same way again.

The apparition on the cabinet door in the morgue is the kind of thing I meant by not trying hard enough to verify their evidence. Looking at the stills on that page, that's definitely Grant, and TAPS should have been the ones to catch that. On the clip of the lamp moving, one thing I noticed is that the lamp only moved when Grant was moving. It seemed like they were actually taking a break at the time, and he was just sitting there talking to someone. I think it's possible that his hand just found something to fidget with, and he ended up moving the lamp a little at a time unintentionally. But again, it should have been TAPS who caught that.

Agreed. You're absolutely right. They should have caught that. They could have showed it on TV still, just showed how they were able to debunk it. To me, debunking is just as important as capturing evidence sometimes.

THe Crescent Hill apparition alone is a farce. If I would have captured that, the second I seen the #2 on the locker I would have wanted to throw it out. I mean, cmon....are they not thinking rationally?

Look, it's tough sometimes. We all believe so thoroughly that we want stuff to be paranormal. But sometimes it just isn't so. We have to be more open minded. And TAPS, with their many eyars of experience, should know that as well as anyone. It's very sad.

I worry about the EVPs they catch. A number of those sounded to good to be true.

I know what you mean. Like the recent "princess" evp. It's so awesome. And I want to believe in it so bad. But then I think about all the other stuff and I wonder, "Well, hey, I dont know...did someone add that voice in later? Somewhere between pre and post production of the episode?"

In that vein, why is it that EVPs aren't ever recorded on the production crew's audio? We should be able to hear the EVPs as the show is running, but all they ever capture are real sounds which were heard at the time. EVPs are questionable as it is, because you can't see what's making them, but how can we believe any of them on there now?

In that vein, why is it that EVPs aren't ever recorded on the production crew's audio? We should be able to hear the EVPs as the show is running, but all they ever capture are real sounds which were heard at the time. EVPs are questionable as it is, because you can't see what's making them, but how can we believe any of them on there now?

Good question.

I've watched Ghost Hunters for a couple of years and believed in Jason and Grant's intentions to debunk and bring logic to their investigations. But. I think his name is Brian? He throws their credibility completely away. He was fired once years ago for faking evidence. Then they brought him back. It's one thing to give a friend a second chance; that's admirable of them. But since the nature of the show is the viewer's dependence on their word that what they see is what we get, it makes me doubt Jason and Grant. I don't see Brian on the TAPS website so maybe they did finally get rid of him and the shows with him in them are old.

I've watched Ghost Hunters for a couple of years and believed in Jason and Grant's intentions to debunk and bring logic to their investigations. But. I think his name is Brian? He throws their credibility completely away. He was fired once years ago for faking evidence. Then they brought him back. It's one thing to give a friend a second chance; that's admirable of them. But since the nature of the show is the viewer's dependence on their word that what they see is what we get, it makes me doubt Jason and Grant. I don't see Brian on the TAPS website so maybe they did finally get rid of him and the shows with him in them are old.

LMAO! Blame Brian. Yea Brian was there in the manson episode, Nope. Was brian there when the picture moved? Nope. Don't blame Brian he made that show fun to watch. Now all we got is the BaldFather and his sidekick. Its like watch grass grow.

And what evidence did Brian fake? Why was it Steve could mess up like Brian did and not get degraded?

Edited by Plainbob13

To be honest, there have been A LOT of episodes where I thought "WTF." This may surprise a few individuals but I do think there are times when they..."stretch evidence" or in some way shape or form it may be manipulated. I have a few incidents in mind where they possibly accepted false evidence.

Remember the episode of the 14yr old niece staying with her aunt and uncle and they had the urn of her mothers ashes near the fireplace. Steve was sitting on the couch and he moved and the camera he was holding caught what appeared to be a shadow figure. Well, even when I saw it the first time it LOOKED exactly like Kris Williams. Plus add to the fact that she was there on that case just makes it more...convincing that it was her. How could you be a member of hers and not know that body when you see it even as a shadow! lol

As someone mentioned the thermal of the guy with the hat.....I thought it was Grant from the get go. It matched his characteristics...again disappointed when they accepted that as evidence.

Everything seems to happen when the camera isn't panned onto the spot of anything happening, or if the lamp moves, it isn't in complete view but cut off at the angle of the "tugging" if you will.

I don't think they will ever get straight called out on it, the evidence is few and far between but if it ever happens it would be a HUGE blow to every group imaginable due to everyone puts TAPS on a pedistle and if they fake evidence any amaturish group would do the same...especially if you are affiliated with TAPS.

Not saying groups follow TAPS footsteps but a lot of clients possible clients watch Ghost Hunters and being that TAPS is highly respected to have them being labeled frauds would possibly have the same effect as Sylvia Brown does on Mediums/Psychics.

Not only that, it would give skeptics more fuel for their arsenal against the paranormal.

I could careless really, my group does our own thing even though our methods are quite similar to TAPS except we are a bit more analytical.

I'm not sure if this topic has come up before. My apologies if it's been played out. However, it is something I'm interested in discussing and hearing opinions on if anyone is willing.

My question is simply this: Is TAPS faking evidence? Or perhaps it isn't TAPS, but Sci Fi and the production team themselves, I don't know. What I do know, however, is that there is something strange going on.

Look at this site here to see a claim that doctored FLIR footage was used on the "Manson Murders" epsiode: http://www.skepticalviewer.com/doctored-manson-flir/

Look at this page to see how it's likely someone (possibly Grant) faked a moving lamp: http://www.skepticalviewer.com/the-incredi...ving-lamp-cord/

Or look here at evident from the Crescent Hotel that more than likely should be have been tossed. You remember the military man, with cap and the number 2 emblazened on him, right? It was Grant!!: http://www.ultimatetechlinks.com/CrescentHotelAnalysis.html

I know the show Ghost Hunters and TAPS have a pretty good reputation and criticizing them can be like hocking a loogie on the Pope, but c'mon. Take a look at this stuff and let us know your thoughts. Is it TAPS faking evidence? Is it Sci Fi's editting only that is arousing suspicion? Is something strange indeed going on here?

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

On the Pope?...lol

Honestly, I have trouble believing any wild account unless I was there myself. I mean, all these shows about the paranormal...you pretty much just have to accept it as entertainment only, or put your faith in them that they are legit.

In TAPS' defense, I suppose it's POSSIBLE some of the EVPs or whatever have been caught on the production crew's audio. However, i DOUBT IT. Normally, during my team's investigation evidence review, we look for sounds or voices being heard on two different recorders. If we catch a phantom whisper or noise on a digital audio recorder AND a Mini DV camera, for instance...it's likely going to get tossed out. Put simply, if the same "EVP" is picked up by two different pieces of equipment, it lends more credibility to the notion that it was something natural and not paranormal at all.

Now, if a red fire spewing apparition jumped out and screamed "LEAVE NOW!" and it was picked up on multiple recorders, that might be a different story, haha. But until that happens, weird sounding voices or noises are either likely explainable or simple matrixing.

There have been times when I've been impressed by their footage, but what they do is ghost hunting and not serious research. And these critiques are pretty convincing.

Producing phenomena on schedule for an entertainment network... not the best setting for "science."