Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does your pet know when your sick?

Grandpa Greenman

I don't know if this is the right place to put this but I was wondering. I caught a cold this week and my cat has been very clingy all week. She has been rubbing legs and cuddling in my lap more than usual. It is like she knows I don't feel good and need a little extra comfort.

• Like 2

I don't know if this is the right place to put this but I was wondering. I caught a cold this week and my cat has been very clingy all week. She has been rubbing legs and cuddling in my lap more than usual. It is like she knows I don't feel good and need a little extra comfort.

She does know. :)

• Like 3

I'd say definately yes.

Here's a really interesting article on Epilepsy.com about seizure alert dogs.

http://www.epilepsy.com/articles/ar_1084289240

Dogs and probably cats too pick up on our behavior and emotions. We act differently when we're sick and it's no suprise that our pets respond to that.

• Like 1

of course she does dark... she wuvs you and is taking care of you. daddy dark.....

• Like 1

of course she does dark... she wuvs you and is taking care of you. daddy dark.....

Lol, sadly with this case and cats, THEY WANT YOUR HEAT MUHAHAHAHAHA!

Sorry couldn't resist (Well cats are evil and proud of it)!

• Like 1

Ugh, I know how you feel dark, I've been sick as well. My one cat has been clingy (actually the mean one!) and the usually clingy one doesn't really seem to care. :lol:

I remember when I was about 13 (or 14), I was sick, and my parents had kept me out of school, but they let me stay by myself. . .and, I guess I had an allergic reaction to the medicine that I had taken, because I just suddenly couldn't breathe. . .Everything blacked out and the next thing I remembered, I was laying on the kitchen floor and we had this horribly mean and irrate siamese, and he had his head on me purring. . .and I just laid there for a minute, and watched him. . .the other animals had started getting curious and coming to "check me out" and he got really mad and started chasing them off and hissing at them. . .he let my little chihuahua near me, but I'm not sure why her and not the others. . .although my family did (jokingly of course) give her the nickname of "Nurse Bunny" (Bunny was another one of her nicknames because of her big ears) because whenever someone got sick, she was always right there, whether you had a fever or not. . .anyways, he let her near me, but none of the others. . .and he turned around and, I guess, noticed my eyes were half open, and he got right in my face and started tapping it with his paw. . .it reminded me of how, in movies, people will sort of gently slap people to make sure they were ok or to try and wake them up. . .It was a very strange experience to me. . .I never really understood it. . .As soon as he saw I was ok, he just walked off as if nothing had ever happened, and went back to being his normal ornery self. I still don't understand it, but I do sort of find it sweet/humorous how the cat acted.

• Like 1

Enjoy your pets, but keep an eye on them. I lost my old time male cat (a real romeo and twice all but demonstrated ESP. Like the day I decided to take him in and feed him. At that moment, he turned around and stared me down and came running to my door).

A pack of big viscious dogs took him down. I ran outside, and witnessed it. I intervened immediately, but it all happened so fast. Another cat was puny and partially blind for years, and she bolted for the hills.

There is more of this sort of thing where I live. Adoptions are way down, road dogs are increasing and they run in packs. I have a lot less respect for canines as anything other than latent pack animals.

Yes!! My small puppy always knew when I was depressed, sad, or dealing with some killer cramps. She came and made herself a general distraction from the pain / pain in the ****.

Lol, sadly with this case and cats, THEY WANT YOUR HEAT MUHAHAHAHAHA!

Sorry couldn't resist (Well cats are evil and proud of it)!

If you die in you house your hungry cat will wait until you're dead before they eat you, your hungry dog will start on you while you're still alive. Now who is more evil.

"A dog is a better human than the average human."

The sensitivity of animals has been recorded time and again. Their awareness of illness, pending illness and as in the case of the cat in the nursing home, see www.cnn.com/2007/US/07/25/death.cat.ap/index.html, even death.

If you die in you house your hungry cat will wait until you're dead before they eat you, your hungry dog will start on you while you're still alive. Now who is more evil.

That ok, I only have a cat, dogs are to needy.

I'd say pets seem to definately catch on quickly when someone's ill or upset, faster than people in some cases.

But I do have a rather inattentive family. :P

And you know this how exactly? Just a minute, on second thought...I'm not sure I want to know! :unsure2:

yea animals know when something is up,they might not be able to help find the answer but they have no problem putting chasing their tails and other play on hold to sit next to you wile you think about it...

say what you want a bout dogs,i watched my rottweiler go threw depression when me and my live in gf broke up and my daughter moved out the house,,,he didnt eat he didnt sleep and would go to her room and cry because he missed her so much,,when my daughter came back home to live with me,his health went back to normal...cats could careless if your there or not...

...cats could careless if your there or not...

sorry but I have to disagree. My son has been out of town for a week now and he has this annoying cat that no one can stand. But that cat has cried this annoying meow for the past week, she goes to his room looks around smells everything jumps in his bed an meows somemore. she is not a bit happy he is not here. when he is here she follows him everywhere naps whereever he's sitting pounces him. best play toy she has. so Im thinking she cares.

As for animals knowing when something is up rather it be sickness stress or even joy they pick up on it. My horse knows when something isnt "right" dogs the same, specially my mastif he seems to know even when there has been bad news after a phone call. he will come over an try to comfort. weird. but true. when I am sick he wont leave my side. animals are so much more comforting the people ever could be. they seem to know exactly what to do.

I was really sick when I was 12, and was in bed much of the time. Kailey and Smokey, the only two cats I had at the time, would guard and comfort me. When they were awake, they'd sit just inside or just outside the door or by the bed. When they needed sleep, Kailey would take a pillow by my head and Smokey would lay against my legs. It was so sweet.

Gabriel, who I rescued when I was 16, meows constantly whenever I am gone for extended periods of time because he misses me. He gets upset and meows when anyone fights or cries also. Cats do care.

Edited by Asphodel

Enjoy your pets, but keep an eye on them. I lost my old time male cat (a real romeo and twice all but demonstrated ESP. Like the day I decided to take him in and feed him. At that moment, he turned around and stared me down and came running to my door).

A pack of big viscious dogs took him down. I ran outside, and witnessed it. I intervened immediately, but it all happened so fast. Another cat was puny and partially blind for years, and she bolted for the hills.

There is more of this sort of thing where I live. Adoptions are way down, road dogs are increasing and they run in packs. I have a lot less respect for canines as anything other than latent pack animals.

I had the same thing happened to me. . .only the dogs that took down my cat were a "pets" but were extremely viscious towards everyone and everything. . .? Karma got at least one though. The same cat that I posted about earlier (a ridiculously huge siamese) took off half his face when he came after him. The owner actually had the gaul to try and sue us. . .knowing full and well that there were laws about dogs running loose, and also knowing that his dogs had not only killed one of our cats, but a few of our neighbors. I saw it happen, and I just knew my old Simba was done for, but he pounced on his back and just went crazy on his face. Clawed out one of his eyes and pretty much mutilated the side of his face. The others took off after some weak attempts to get the cat. . .weren't so "big and bad" when they saw their leader getting torn up. Twas a good day of revenge for me. The same dogs had chased me and my brother up trees several times and had once chased my mom into the house and proceeded to try and tear down the door. He (the cat) also took a poop on the top step of a neighbor that we hated and she stepped in it. :lol: My dear old Simba. . still kicking at 14 years old. . .it'll be the death of a legend when he goes. I'll have to erect a shrine.

Edit: for typos and because I totally forgot, until my mom reminded me, that there was more than one dog. :lol:

Edited by Sweetsalem82103

Of corse they know. My cats are the same as my dog they all come up to my room and stay with me as they do the same with my daughter.

• Like 1

I am sure they can sense sadness and when you dont feel good in general, everytime I am sick my dog never leaves my side.

• Like 1

Animals are sentient creatures and feel a lot of emotions similar to our own, though maybe not as developed. And our pets, like dogs, cats, etc...they form bonds with us like we form bonds with them. So yes, I feel like they know when something is not right, when we are sick or sad, or whatever.

• Like 1

• 8 years later...
On 6/4/2008 at 11:24 PM, merril said:

I have a lot less respect for the irresponsible pet owners who don't spay and neuter their animals, because if they all did there would be way fewer " latent pack animals " running around. So, as horrible as it is, you shouldn't blame the dogs because they are just acting on instinct. Blame the people who irresponsibly let their animals breed, then dump the poor pups to fend for themselves.They don't know any better, but people should.

On 6/5/2008 at 10:39 AM, Grandpa Greenman said:

I might believe this about our one dog who eats anything and is always hungry LOL 

But no, my one grandfather was dead four days and had a small dog. The dog was famished and traumatized, he never ate on his daddy!

• Like 1