Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Salt as Protection Against Evil

Anemone

i have read and heard in many places that salt is a good protection against evil. but how do you use it? do you sprinkle it around your house or make a cross out of it? i dont know. no ones ever really been able to give me a straight answer. Anyone have any ideas?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Radian

• Nile_Shaman

• Anemone

• Mattshark

i have read and heard in many places that salt is a good protection against evil. but how do you use it? do you sprinkle it around your house or make a cross out of it? i dont know. no ones ever really been able to give me a straight answer. Anyone have any ideas?

Yes SeaSalt is actually used to keep entities at bay. No you dont have to make a cross, for example I have sprinkled it around my bed and entry way. Sprinkle it every place you feel there is negative activity. In addiction you could try holy water, or Virgin Olive Oil..Good Luck..JN

We used salt around areas (house) and then used olive oil to bless the entry ways..

We used salt around areas (house) and then used olive oil to bless the entry ways..

is there any prayer or something that i need to say while using the salt? or do i just sprinkle the salt without saying anything?

It only works against evil slugs.

is there any prayer or something that i need to say while using the salt? or do i just sprinkle the salt without saying anything?

Depends on what your faith is. In our case, we read chapter Psalms 91-

I don't know of a Christian origin for the salt belief, but in many Afro-Craibbean religions, it is traditional and probably entered the Pagan belief system through Hoodoo in the Western World rather early during the slave trade/cultural blending among European superstitions and Afro superstitions. OR, it may have been added into Afro-Carib religions from the European folkloric system, like poppets did, but which Vodou gets blamed for to this day :wacko:

The theory is that the spirits of the Dead are about decay and attracted to it, hence since salt preserves, it repels them. One sprinkles a pinch or so in every single corner of their home, including closets, and blesses the rest using Florida Water, or Holy Water, to cleanse a residence of negativity and bad spirits. Some add burning pleasant incenses better suited for cleansing lower level entities, such as Frankincense and/or myrrh or white sage, and some then close it up by blessing all windows and doorways with olive oil or Florida Water, often in the form of tiny crosses, while praying and asking for what they intend - in this case cleansing of all bad things and a request for God's blessing on the home and peace.

This is best done by a person who owns or is the authority figure of a household, like the father or mother, or else by an ordained priest in a religion which deals with this sort of thing. It is less effective done by outsiders inside someone else's home, unless they are ordained. Self initiates are not ordained in the sense I mean.

That is how it is viewed, generally speaking, in the Diasporic religions.

So, now you've gotten several straight answers :).

YMMV

NS

I've heard of salt being used in hoodoo practices. For purification and protection before spells and such.

Yes, what Nyx said :)

NS

edit to add: You are asking about premises, yes? There are other applications, such as in baths to cleanse one's self, which we see a version of in Western culture of bath salts. Salt baths are also used in Afro-Caribbean religions to cleanse things of negative entities or energy. All based on the same principle of repelling the Dead.

Edited by Nile_Shaman

That's interesting, NS

As far as salt being used in Christianity. I'd never even heard of it until these elders in the church brought it here and used it..

:lol:

Aw slugs aren't really bad at heart, they're just misunderstood... ;)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with the folks posting about salt being used in several fashions in several different belief systems.

I wouldn't hesitate to pray diligently and sprinkle salt around if I thought it would protect, halt or deter a negative energy or evil spirit.

I believe in doing whatever you personally can to resolve an issue before calling in the big guns.

:)

Edited by D is here

• 2 years later...

ok, so if you feel threatened by a spirit or being of any sort, sprinkle a ring of salt around you in a circle. they cannot reach you or harm you so long as you stay inside the circle. there are other spells for protection using salt but this is the easiest thing you can do.

I never believed in the whole salt thing being able to ward off spirits, since spirits can go through walls and up through floors and down through ceilings, etc. I can't really think of anywhere to put salt that would be effective in any way since spirits can obviously completely bypass it. If it is effective in any way, perhaps one can eat it to ward off possession, much in the same way as drinking holy water.

ok, so if you feel threatened by a spirit or being of any sort, sprinkle a ring of salt around you in a circle. they cannot reach you or harm you so long as you stay inside the circle. there are other spells for protection using salt but this is the easiest thing you can do.

I think you should maybe read again of the origin of salt being used to ward off spirits and possibly reconsider its real usefulness. The reasoning why they used it was pretty silly:

"The theory is that the spirits of the Dead are about decay and attracted to it, hence since salt preserves, it repels them."

And would you feel right giving advice to do something that really did nothing at all?

SALT will dissolve baggage just like a slug.That's why thay cant stay in your body to long, the salt content would attack them.Over long periods,holy water taken from a christening font is better.Put it in a spray bottle,spray a little with a bit of scent in.You can used it like freshener daily round the house put a few coppers in the collection box in a church.It is not rocket science,clean silver in a little salt, put a little salt in your bath.Blimey I can pap on.

"Salt as protection against evil". :no:

But on the other hand, If spraying salt all over your room makes you sleep better at night, So be it.

You can substitute it with sugar and i bet there won't be much difference.