Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did Jesus only come for the Jews ?

Lt_Ripley

The lengths people go to stuff the supernatural into a story of dubious and distorted origins....

THe point is that the bible has its faults, I'm the 1st to accept that, I don't believe in an inerrant scripture. What I do believe is that even with those faults we can get a fairly accurate picture of what those people believed.

That said, God exists and intervenes in our lives, whether we recognize it or not is another matter. To state the non-existence of the supernatural, is, in a way, to deny the existence of God and that is the foundation that all those who study the scriptures should start with. It is due to this that the majority of "scholars" find such fault with the bible, because of the supernatural element and nothing else.

Edited by Jor-el

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lt_Ripley

• Jor-el

• IamsSon

• danielost

Whoa whoa whoa, thats sort of a double standard, Iams. No offense or anything, but I don't think a Christian, who has a set and established belief that the word of the Bible is the inerrant word of God, is exactly 'unbiased' when it comes to studying the historicity of the New Testament. When it comes to Theological matters, of course I would take the word of a Christian over someone else, however, you can't tell me that someone who already believes that:

• Jesus Christ was the Son of God
  • the Bible is the inerrant Word of God
  • everything that the Bible claims happened, happened
  • etc. etc.

Can objectively look at scripture from a historical perspective.

The problem is that the Christian (depending on how 'hardcore' he or she is) starts out with his or her conclusion already: that such and such things happened because the Bible says they did. You can't start with your conclusion first and try to prove it, what needs to be done is whoever is studying the content needs to assess the information available and THEN draw a conclusion. If you don't then you end up looking like Kent Hovind or the other guys down at AiG.

and if you add in creating meaning where none exists you have the four assumptions the bible is most often interpreted through.......there in lies the problem.....

Whoa whoa whoa, thats sort of a double standard, Iams. No offense or anything, but I don't think a Christian, who has a set and established belief that the word of the Bible is the inerrant word of God, is exactly 'unbiased' when it comes to studying the historicity of the New Testament. When it comes to Theological matters, of course I would take the word of a Christian over someone else, however, you can't tell me that someone who already believes that:

• Jesus Christ was the Son of God
  • the Bible is the inerrant Word of God
  • everything that the Bible claims happened, happened
  • etc. etc.

Can objectively look at scripture from a historical perspective.

The problem is that the Christian (depending on how 'hardcore' he or she is) starts out with his or her conclusion already: that such and such things happened because the Bible says they did. You can't start with your conclusion first and try to prove it, what needs to be done is whoever is studying the content needs to assess the information available and THEN draw a conclusion. If you don't then you end up looking like Kent Hovind or the other guys down at AiG.

The same can be said for non-Christians church. I mean if you are intent on being assured that Jesus was not real, and if real, not more than a crazy guy with some nice stories, how unbiased are you going to be.

THe point is that the bible has its faults, I'm the 1st to accept that, I don't believe in an inerrant scripture. What I do believe is that even with those faults we can get a fairly accurate picture of what those people believed.

That said, God exists and intervenes in our lives, whether we recognize it or not is another matter. To state the non-existence of the supernatural, is, in a way, to deny the existence of God and that is the foundation that all those who study the scriptures should start with. It is due to this that the majority of "scholars" find such fault with the bible, because of the supernatural element and nothing else.

jorel that is using a biased approach to the bible which is the most common interpretation.. packing into it all the meaning you prefer up front... this leads to dogma not insights...

instead of coming to the table free of meaning stepping back this is the methoology that is used in academia...... and the direction we are movng towards cuturally because it is fair and leaves little room for exploitaiton and preying on insecurities....IMO....questioning is natural we would serve our cultrue by encouraging it more.. one's faith doesn't have to be compromised does it according to you yours was strengthened so lets allow others to decide for themselves also.........

jorel that is using a biased approach to the bible which is the most common interpretation.. packing into it all the meaning you prefer up front... this leads to dogma not insights...

instead of coming to the table free of meaning stepping back this is the methoology that is used in academia...... and the direction we are movng towards cuturally because it is fair and leaves little room for exploitaiton and preying on insecurities....IMO....questioning is natural we would serve our cultrue by encouraging it more.. one's faith doesn't have to be compromised does it according to you yours was strengthened so lets allow others to decide for themselves also.........

Yes it was, but also because I rejected many arguments to the contrary because I believed in a Supernatural God who can actually do more than is in the bible.

Disbelief will always encourage disbelief and the opposite is also true...

Edited by Jor-el

So society is moving toward the acceptance of absolute ignorance as the basis of knowledge... I think Romans 1 talks about this.

So society is moving toward the acceptance of absolute ignorance as the basis of knowledge... I think Romans 1 talks about this.

son perhaps if you were confident in your beleif's you would encourage this for others......you can't know what is best for another ...how arrogant of me to say to you should be a nb because I think you should be correct?? welll i wouldn't because i resepct your choices, i think they work for you in a way you can relate and connect the best.....

unless you are seeking to be validated by getting another to agree or convert then perhaps this is an opp for you to strengthen your faith correct????

I understand being excited about finding a path that brings out your best or what ever you are using it for..., oh ye of little faith trust that others will find their way also .....

perhaps thats what faith is for to use it focus on your own journey that is where you will do the most benefit and your example will show what you know and perhaps it will touch others, perhaps it won't in a way that works for them or dosent both ways are valuable you know...., you dont get to decide how though son........

you can miss too much when you are only open to seeing others in a way that you agree with...

Edited by Supra Sheri

The same can be said for non-Christians church. I mean if you are intent on being assured that Jesus was not real, and if real, not more than a crazy guy with some nice stories, how unbiased are you going to be.

While there certainly are people who have that mentality, I can only speak for myself when I say that I try not to assume something until I have both the story (subjective) and the facts (objective). I have the story - the Bible, and I have the facts - history, and the story does not match the facts, and as such, I have made my decision.

While there certainly are people who have that mentality, I can only speak for myself when I say that I try not to assume something until I have both the story (subjective) and the facts (objective). I have the story - the Bible, and I have the facts - history, and the story does not match the facts, and as such, I have made my decision.

http://www.sullivan-county.com/news/paul/j_myth.htm

Have a look at this site I just stumbled on it by accident. I will not say anything about it so as not to influence you on it.

Ok, this I can agree with.

And here is where I disagree with you. "God exists and intervenes in our lives" is a HUGELY contentious statement. While I believe in God, I cannot say for sure, with 100% certainty that he/she/it exists, and further more, I would never assert that knowledge of a higher power is necessary to understand religion, its dogma, or how its supposed to work. There are plenty of non-religious people who understand Christianity and Judaism and Islam and yadda yadda yadda.

Second of all, a historian does NOT need to be a Theist to study scripture. That is ludicrous. If only people who were Theists were allowed to study the historicity of the Bible then we would still believe that the literal creation happened, that Adam and Eve really existed, etc. etc. etc. If someone is studying scripture in a Theological context, then yes, its probably a good idea to be an adherent to that particular faith, but you could be a Muslim or a Buddhist or a Jew or any other religion and still study the history of the New Testament. You don't need to be a Christian to do that. What makes a non-Christian less qualified to judge, with the evidence, the historicity of Jesus?

Oh, and the actual reason there is disagreement among Theist and Nontheist scholars is because the Non-theist scholars recognize that there is not much history to back up the life of Jesus Christ where as a Christian would never admit that Christ's actual life is lost to history, if he indeed ever existed. We don't have first hand accounts of Christs life, we have accounts from the third and fourth generations on, but not from anyone who actually knew him.

http://www.sullivan-county.com/news/paul/j_myth.htm

Have a look at this site I just stumbled on it by accident. I will not say anything about it so as not to influence you on it.

Interesting find danielost, hopefully I'll read it in full soon. This might be worth starting a topic about.

Ok, this I can agree with.

And here is where I disagree with you. "God exists and intervenes in our lives" is a HUGELY contentious statement. While I believe in God, I cannot say for sure, with 100% certainty that he/she/it exists, and further more, I would never assert that knowledge of a higher power is necessary to understand religion, its dogma, or how its supposed to work. There are plenty of non-religious people who understand Christianity and Judaism and Islam and yadda yadda yadda.

Second of all, a historian does NOT need to be a Theist to study scripture. That is ludicrous. If only people who were Theists were allowed to study the historicity of the Bible then we would still believe that the literal creation happened, that Adam and Eve really existed, etc. etc. etc. If someone is studying scripture in a Theological context, then yes, its probably a good idea to be an adherent to that particular faith, but you could be a Muslim or a Buddhist or a Jew or any other religion and still study the history of the New Testament. You don't need to be a Christian to do that. What makes a non-Christian less qualified to judge, with the evidence, the historicity of Jesus?

Oh, and the actual reason there is disagreement among Theist and Nontheist scholars is because the Non-theist scholars recognize that there is not much history to back up the life of Jesus Christ where as a Christian would never admit that Christ's actual life is lost to history, if he indeed ever existed. We don't have first hand accounts of Christs life, we have accounts from the third and fourth generations on, but not from anyone who actually knew him.

The same with many other historic characters. Such as robin hood and king arther.

Interesting find danielost, hopefully I'll read it in full soon. This might be worth starting a topic about.

If you feel it is go ahead.

The same with many other historic characters. Such as robin hood and king arther.

Robin hood and King Arthur are not figures on whom my salvation or damnation supposedly rests upon.

If you feel it is go ahead.

I will soon, as soon as I get around to articulating myself well.

Robin hood and King Arthur are not figures on whom my salvation or damnation supposedly rests upon.

I will soon, as soon as I get around to articulating myself well.

No but for a very long time they were both thought of as just stories.

No but for a very long time they were both thought of as just stories.

Theres historical proof of King Arthur and Robin Hood? I didn't know either of them were real.

Theres historical proof of King Arthur and Robin Hood? I didn't know either of them were real.

There is for king arther. But he was a local govener for the romans. They used to use a stone mold to make swords with. So when they said he took the sword from the stone he really did.

There is for king arther. But he was a local govener for the romans. They used to use a stone mold to make swords with. So when they said he took the sword from the stone he really did.

Huh, I did not know that. I always figured there was a wee grain of truth to the stories of King Arthur and his court. I think the story of Jesus is similar, as in there is a grain of truth to it, but perhaps for now it is lost to history. We have the myth, but we don't have the man.

son perhaps if you were confident in your beleif's you would encourage this for others......you can't know what is best for another ...how arrogant of me to say to you should be a nb because I think you should be correct?? welll i wouldn't because i resepct your choices, i think they work for you in a way you can relate and connect the best.....

unless you are seeking to be validated by getting another to agree or convert then perhaps this is an opp for you to strengthen your faith correct????

I understand being excited about finding a path that brings out your best or what ever you are using it for..., oh ye of little faith trust that others will find their way also .....

perhaps thats what faith is for to use it focus on your own journey that is where you will do the most benefit and your example will show what you know and perhaps it will touch others, perhaps it won't in a way that works for them or dosent both ways are valuable you know...., you dont get to decide how though son........

you can miss too much when you are only open to seeing others in a way that you agree with...

Sheri,

I am not seeking to convert anyone. I am doing the same thing everyone else is doing here, sharing what I know and what I think. If in sharing my knowledge, God uses that to reach someone, well that's just great, but it will be God doing it, not me.

But like I have said, if I know 2+2=4, I am not going to spend my time considering the possibility that 2+2=3.

Edited by IamsSon

Sheri,

I am not seeking to convert anyone. I am doing the same thing everyone else is doing here, sharing what I know and what I think. If in sharing my knowledge, Go uses that to reach someone, well that's just great, but it will be god doing it, not me.

But like I have said, if I know 2+2=4, I am not going to spend my time considering the possibility that 2+2=3.

Until the day comes where you add two apples to two more and you find yourself with five. And then you will know that Big Brother is watching you :P

Until the day comes where you add two apples to two more and you find yourself with five. And then you will know that Big Brother is watching you :P

hopefully that happens after I plant that apple tree.

hopefully that happens after I plant that apple tree.

Ha ha ha :lol:

If that happens, I hope I'm counting $1,000 packs.

If that happens, I hope I'm counting $1,000 packs.

But Big Brother elimenates the need for money in his totalitarian state! After all, in Oceania war is peace, freedom is slavery and 2+2=5.

But Big Brother elimenates the need for money in his totalitarian state! After all, in Oceania war is peace, freedom is slavery and 2+2=5.

I don't live in Oceania.

I don't live in Oceania.

Perhaps someday soon you will ;)

Big Brother is watchin youuu