Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
everquesterinman

I am seeing "shadows" HELP!

48 posts in this topic

Ok folks you might think I am crazy after this post. BUT here it goes. For the pass 4 years I have worked as a security dispatcher for a local hospital. I watch cameras mostly for a living. I have caught many things on camera (car theives, naughty folks, and so on) doing things in our parking areas and hospital. I have found that my sight that was already a perfect 20/20 has become enhanced somehow...I just don't seem to miss a detail. My wife and I will be driving and I will see something on the side of the road and say did you see that (such as a cat or something) and she will say no. Now I understand that maybe by watching for details for a living I have somehow become a "expert" observer BUT latley it has gotten weird. Lately I have been seeing shadows...move. The only way I can explain it is...It's like catching the "tail end" of something you "almost" saw if that makes any sense? By the way NO i am NOT overworked and or Overstressed so i dont think these "shadows" are related to that. NOR am I only any type of medication at this time. Please tell me one of you guys out there can help explain this or at least say there is one of you out there that has experianced something simular? Thanks

Ok folks you might think I am crazy after this post. BUT here it goes. For the pass 4 years I have worked as a security dispatcher for a local hospital. I watch cameras mostly for a living. I have caught many things on camera (car theives, naughty folks, and so on) doing things in our parking areas and hospital. I have found that my sight that was already a perfect 20/20 has become enhanced somehow...I just don't seem to miss a detail. My wife and I will be driving and I will see something on the side of the road and say did you see that (such as a cat or something) and she will say no. Now I understand that maybe by watching for details for a living I have somehow become a "expert" observer BUT latley it has gotten weird. Lately I have been seeing shadows...move. The only way I can explain it is...It's like catching the "tail end" of something you "almost" saw if that makes any sense? By the way NO i am NOT overworked and or Overstressed so i dont think these "shadows" are related to that. NOR am I only any type of medication at this time. Please tell me one of you guys out there can help explain this or at least say there is one of you out there that has experianced something simular? Thanks

i dont think your crazy i think you see shadow people

Sure,I have experienced this several times.From what I gather, alot of people like to call these shadow people.I used to get them all the time in doorways,and I would always catch them from the corner of my eyes.This apperantly is common when people see them.When I would go to look directly at them they would dart away very quickly, and this is also common, from what I have read.I have however seen one directly in front of me in a well lit room.I got the sence something was in front of me and when I looked up, there it was.A shadow of a human form,that I could not see through,and about 5 seconds later it vanished.In every case that I have experienced it was as if the shadow would stand there and watch me, or at least thats my take on it.I would also like to add that anytime I saw them from the corner of my eye sight, it was definitly the shadow form of a human.

It might be a spirit or it might not, I do not know exactly what these were but I definitly have experienced this alot in my life.

You're OK :). If you've read here for long, you know that others have seen them, too.

The first time I saw one beyond any shadow of a doubt (pun intended), I watched it "run" down the hall, as if it had been in the room and was fleeing when I walked into the door. No debunk possible. I flipped on the only light as I got home from work and had paused to flip through the mail from the mailbox. No cars moving, no other lights, no one else anywhere in the house (it was small, single floor, easy to see from where I stood). "Zip", across the living room area and down the hall to vanish into the darkness beyond the one light. Traditional, dark form with a hat. I was rather dumb-founded.

I'd read about them, but was doubtful. Working nights, I am familiar with how things could seem to be what they are not, so didn't know what to make of the tales. But, I'd seen other things, so just didn't know, until then.

I got no ominous feeling from it, wasn't scared, but I did find it strange.

Despite claims of some experts, there is very little known about them or what they really are. The experts essentially have a collection of all the suppositions about them at best.

Welcome to the club :).

NS

Sometimes people force things upon themselves. So you might force yourself into seeing things

Posted (edited)

Ok folks you might think I am crazy after this post. BUT here it goes. For the pass 4 years I have worked as a security dispatcher for a local hospital. I watch cameras mostly for a living. I have caught many things on camera (car theives, naughty folks, and so on) doing things in our parking areas and hospital. I have found that my sight that was already a perfect 20/20 has become enhanced somehow...I just don't seem to miss a detail. My wife and I will be driving and I will see something on the side of the road and say did you see that (such as a cat or something) and she will say no. Now I quote]

interesting post.

yes it happens because you have consciously learn to look for details that most folk will dismiss, even stuff that are literally under their nose.

I believe that you see things with your 'peripheral vision' thus the glimpse of tails as you say.

It normal do not worry and certainly you dont have to be apologetic about expanding your vision. :tu:

Edited by saturnriggs

Do these shadows move on the walls and furnishings? Or do they move where shadows should not be? (the middle of a room- away from walls)

I certainly do not think you are crazy. I have seen so many of these things! In an effort to debunk my own observances I have gone so far as to draw charts of available light sources and action.

There is no need to worry though. You are not in any danger. Just consider it a perk of the job.

Oh, that's an easy one, everquesterinman.

As you say, you have trained your visual processing to attend to details. You have heightened your anomaly detection capability. It's your job, and you have adapted yourself to do it well.

Like every other physically realized detector, however, yours is subject to "receiver operating characteristic" (searchable) effects. Long story short, at the high end of detection performance, you cannot increase sensitivity (successfully detecting something that is happening) without also increasing false alarms (wrongly detecting something when nothing is happening).

This is an inevitable tradeoff. It is no way personal to you.

It is nothing to worry about, and there is nothing which can be done to eliminate it categorically without jeopardizing the advantages you have gained by increasing your sensitivity. It may become less disturbing in time, as you grow accustomed to it, and you might also spontaneously adopt a slightly different trade-off as your learning continues.

You could be seeing shadows.

But it's also very possible your eye is tricking you. If you're job involved looking at a video screen 8+ hours a day your eyes are getting adjusted the the natural flicker of the refresh. So when you look at the normal world and your eye (mind) doesn't see the refresh flicker it gets confused and you can get that moment of "What was that?!". I work on computer all day and it happens sometimes to me, especially when I'm really tired.

Where are you often seeing these shadows at? How often do you see them? What time of day do you see them? How fast do they seem to move? Do you catch any sort of detail??

But it's also very possible your eye is tricking you. If you're job involved looking at a video screen 8+ hours a day your eyes are getting adjusted the the natural flicker of the refresh. So when you look at the normal world and your eye (mind) doesn't see the refresh flicker it gets confused and you can get that moment of "What was that?!". I work on computer all day and it happens sometimes to me, especially when I'm really tired.

This is a very reasonable point, MasterPo, which I hadn't considered. I was "haunted" for a good while after retiring from the cop shop by hearing a mike key up on my left shoulder once in a while, when one was not there, of course, after years of always listening to it, no matter if it seemed I was giving full attention to whomever I was talking to or whatever I was doing.

It might be a factor in some or even all of what the OP is reporting, given his circumstances. Do you think this also could be a possible factor in people who spend so much time online surfing or playing games or posting on forums? Do all computer monitors do that?

*just thinking aloud mostly*

NS

Posted (edited)

does what you see look anything like these

post-71487-1214761549_thumb.jpg

Edited by Elite

Posted (edited)

Yea thats what I think also, thats how they are seen, just out of sight corner of your eye thing. I agree also Eight Bits

http://paranormal.about.com/library/weekly/aa022502a.htm

Quote: Eight Bits:

Oh, that's an easy one, everquesterinman.

As you say, you have trained your visual processing to attend to details. You have heightened your anomaly detection capability. It's your job, and you have adapted yourself to do it well.

Like every other physically realized detector, however, yours is subject to "receiver operating characteristic" (searchable) effects. Long story short, at the high end of detection performance, you cannot increase sensitivity (successfully detecting something that is happening) without also increasing false alarms (wrongly detecting something when nothing is happening).

This is an inevitable tradeoff. It is no way personal to you.

It is nothing to worry about, and there is nothing which can be done to eliminate it categorically without jeopardizing the advantages you have gained by increasing your sensitivity. It may become less disturbing in time, as you grow accustomed to it, and you might also spontaneously adopt a slightly different trade-off as your learning continues.

Edited by Aanica

Sometimes people force things upon themselves. So you might force yourself into seeing things

That avatar of yours..... omg :o !!!!

And you thought mine was bad...LOL

ROFL, I absolutly love your avatar......................... :D

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.. :passifier:

You could be seeing shadows.

Yes I agree with this as well, and the OP should take this into concideration.I know in the cases that I have experienced that it was always a human form "no hat", and always in the middle of a doorway cept the one time it was directly in front of me.I didn't have a computer, nor did I watch tv for long periods of time.These shadows that I would see were also in only two locations, and they would happen in day or night conditions.The shadows were never on a wall either, but rather in open space.I have seen things move out of the corner of my eye or seen light move or flash on something really quick,and it made me look over to see if something was there, yet nothing,and quickly realised it was nothing at all really.The thing with the shadows is that there was always a spacific feeling that came over me as if being watched, "never felt threatened or frightened".I have said this before here at um,it's as if a person sneaks up behind you and that sixth sence goes off and tells you that there is someone there.You turn around and walla a person is standing there.Same kind of feeling with my experiences.

I hope this helps the op a bit more, and if it were me and I did not feel like there was a presence there or when seeing these shadows, I would opt, for an explanation such as masterpo offered. :)

First i would like to thank everyone for all the wonderful comments. You have eben very helpful and yes the tail end of something tall like a human form....and often its as if they are wearing trench coats or capes? that would be the tail of of what I am catching ? BUT so far I have only caught them in motion alwasy moving away from me either to the left or right.

This is a very comonly experienced phenomenon.

People will see shadows move about of their own accord.

I see them from time to time.

Maybe from you working with monitors, and having to observe things without a miss.

Maybe that has opened up your sight.

Only people with open, and advanced sight can see these.

With the exception of few.

It's perfectly normal.

Nothing to be scared and/or gitty about.

It's all gonna be fine.

Sincerely,

AS

Posted (edited)

I agree. I also don't think you are crazy. I've seen them so have my sisters and mother. In fact, my mom has been seeing them a lot lately.

Edited by ThatScaryChick

:P Yea, I did. but .. now..

Google Rosemary Ellen Guiley Shadow People. She has some interesting stuff on them. They are definetly real.

First i would like to thank everyone for all the wonderful comments. You have eben very helpful and yes the tail end of something tall like a human form....and often its as if they are wearing trench coats or capes? that would be the tail of of what I am catching ? BUT so far I have only caught them in motion alwasy moving away from me either to the left or right.

well it sounds to me then, that you may be seeing a shadow person.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_people

There is one thing that convinced me of the presence of this shadown beings, and it's that I only saw them in my last house, haven't seen them in my new house. You always see them with periferal vision, as if they were trying to hide. I used to see them very ofently, and saw quite a number of them per day. Now, not even one.