Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mentalcase

Meteor Storm, not shower

8 posts in this topic

November has two major meteor showers, the Taurids and the Leonids.

The Taurids peak November 4th-7th, but some may be seen anytime from October 20th through the end of November. The Taurids have a peak rate of 12 meteors per hour, or about one every five minutes on average.

Leonids Storm 2002

November also boasts the Leonids. The Leonids, is probably the most famous meteor shower of all. In some years, including 2002, the Leonids will have an unusually large peak. While this shower normally peaks at about 10 meteors per hour, or about one every six minutes on average, in some years the Leonids peak rate reaches into the hundreds or even thousands per hour. In years with this exceptionally high peak, the display is not termed a meteor shower but rather a meteor storm! These storms are the result of the Earth's passage through the dust and debris left by the comet 55P/Tempel-Tuttle. Comet 55P/Tempel-Tuttle returns to the inner solar system every 33 years. Each time it passes through our part of the solar system, it leaves a trail of dust along its path. These small grains of dust are what become such bright and beautiful meteors in our skies.

*November 18/19 will be the best viewing times for this 'storm'.

:se

wow, im getting hyped already.  thanks for the post :)

I won't be able to see this in New Zealand will I? :(

oh well I hope you fellas enjoy it and when I get one that I can see I,m gonna post it and tease ya with it ;)

Kismit, everyone in the world will see this, i'm sure.

This is the best kind of storm to be outside watching!  (and you don't get wet!)  ;D

Thanks for the 'heads up' MC!!   :st

*that sounds like a great event to mark on the calendar!

really ? :s6

Well I'll keep my eyes pealed thanx for the info :st

I was wondering if the International Space Station will have any problems with this "storm". That would not be good. Just one hit would cost at least a million.

Oh, I sure hope not MC! I would hope that the astronauts' safety has been covered in that area too! ???