Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Breaking a gravestone

TheLivingDead

I just got back from Oak Island, NC where I went on vacation with my husband and family. Every year my mom and I go to Southport to the Smithfield Cemetery which dates back from the civil war. I went yesterday with my mom, husband and one of my brothers. I was about half way into the cemetery when my brother started jogging to catch up with me and thats when I heard a sickening thud. I turned around and my brother had just frozen in place, and I did too. He barely touched a tombstone when it fell forward and broke in half! The tombstone was around 150 years old and had already been leaning forward due to someone putting bricks under the backside of the base (I don't know why).

Is it really true that if someone knocks over a tombstone that they will be cursed? I told him he would be, even though I was joking. As soon as I get the pictures edited, I'll post one.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• meatwadmonk

• Radian

• Superman

• TheLivingDead

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never heard of anything. But I would feel horrible if I ever did that. That's why I stay out of cemeteries. Out of respect for their final resting place. Don't beat yourself up over it though. If it was an accident, its an accident.

I just got back from Oak Island, NC where I went on vacation with my husband and family. Every year my mom and I go to Southport to the Smithfield Cemetery which dates back from the civil war. I went yesterday with my mom, husband and one of my brothers. I was about half way into the cemetery when my brother started jogging to catch up with me and thats when I heard a sickening thud. I turned around and my brother had just frozen in place, and I did too. He barely touched a tombstone when it fell forward and broke in half! The tombstone was around 150 years old and had already been leaning forward due to someone putting bricks under the backside of the base (I don't know why).

Is it really true that if someone knocks over a tombstone that they will be cursed? I told him he would be, even though I was joking. As soon as I get the pictures edited, I'll post one.

OMG, I dont know what I would do? I dont think we get attached to our headstones when we pass on. At least I hope not!

wow just wow

My friend during middle school used to go to the cemetery by our school and knock them over and what not. He was always loopy but ended up shooting himself at his birthday party when me and a few of our friends were sitting there. So either it was payback or he just finally went nuts.

But the kid your talking about accidently did it. So I doubt anything is going to happen to him.

Edited by fenris1011

With all do respect to the spirit realm I think the key thing here is "Intent"? If it was an accident, I doubt anything will happen.

No matter what location you investigate, I think its important to let the spirits know what your intent is. Then I believe mutual respect can be established.

As Pluto said, as long as it was an accident, it should be fine.

Well, from the old superstitions I know about grave yards and tombstones (And there are a great many that I don't know), the entire concept of a tombstone was to 'hold down' the spirit/souls into the grave, to prevent them from wandering around and causing grief amongst the living, (I.E. ghosts.)

So, in theory, 'breaking' a tombstone would release said seal, allowing the soul of the dead to cause mischief, grief to the person that broke the tombstone (on accident or other wise) thus giving birth to the superstition that breaking/tipping over a tombstone will curse you.

But that's just how the superstition goes and may not necessarily have any roots within the realm of reality.

-Akaebeel

I agree as long as it was accidental no harm done.

It was an accident. It would be different if it was in disrespect/intentional. At least we all hope. :unsure2:

It was an accident. It would be different if it was in disrespect/intentional. At least we all hope. :unsure2:

Hmm. Perhaps, perhaps not. I think a living person would be a smidgen unhappy if say, someone drove through your living room wall with their SuV. Some people might go with the flow, some people might have a heart attack, some people might proceed to strangle the driver that drove through their living room wall.

Guess it'd depend on the individual soul/person as to their reaction to such a trespass.

-Akaebeel

Just like that movie: I Spit on Your Grave...

You quintupple posted. don't do that :(

You quintupple posted. don't do that :(

talk about over kill

Thanks everybody! It was definitely an accident and I can say my brother would be very relieved by most of the answers. :P I thought I had heard about a curse of some sort, and it makes sense that if you break a gravestone then you would be breaking the 'seal'. Poor kid though, he feels so bad!

Thanks everybody! It was definitely an accident and I can say my brother would be very relieved by most of the answers. :P I thought I had heard about a curse of some sort, and it makes sense that if you break a gravestone then you would be breaking the 'seal'. Poor kid though, he feels so bad!

I am tossing my vote with the "no intent" folks on this one.

NS

as long as the ghostie knows what happens and how bad the guy is feeling about doing it on accident, I shouldn't worry too much about it.

I *wonder* if he even tried to fix it... :unsure2:

I would be slow to expect a curse because I'd be more inclined to believe that it was a ghost or a spirit who knocked it over originally. But, that's just me. I've never heard of anything like receiving a curse for knocking over a tombstone either. I'd chalk it up to spiritual activity and leave it at that.

• The topic was locked