Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lycans are not Werewolves

Legendcop13

I'm still sticking with the notion that "lycan" didn't appear anywhere, except a few extremely hard to find cases, until the movie Underworld came out in 2003. Ever since people are like, "I'm a lycan.... because I've got sharp teeth and growl...." Wanting the word to be ancient doesn't make it so. 

I thought lycrans were middle aged blokes who wear very tight fitting leggings whilst cycling?  :D 

• Like 2

On 9/1/2009 at 6:11 AM, paranormalguy said:

This thread has gone on soo long, so I'm going to repost my analysis to end it once and for all!

Lycanthrope - Modified Latin/ Greek

Lukanthropia = Lukos(wolf) + anthropos(man)

Werewolf - Old English/ Germanic

Werewulf = Were(man) + wulf(wolf)

Supposed Lycans constantly say "Lycan is latin for wolf!" or something along those lines... but it isn't! In it's entirety the word 'Lycanthrope' comes from 'Lukos(wolf)' and 'anthropos(man)'!

So...

Lyc-anthrope is the correct shortening... making 'Lyc' the most correct abbreviation!

And, though the only distinct barrier seems to be language... there is actually cultural difference!

Lycanthropy is greek in origin... where Gods often took responsibility for these 'lycanthropes' although, in one case the 'lycanthrope' was simply raised by a wolf!

Werwolves are European in origin, and magic caused werewolves! Witches, demons, poisons... There are too many varients in european myth to cover them all here.

So, though their origins differ they both describe a man who changes into a wolf or wolf-like being, often with malicious intent...

Conclusion

There you go! This single post can conclude this entire 'argument'. The idea that Lycans are not Werewolves has now been thoroughly disproved... I've posted this several other times, sometimes in more detail... but this sums it up pretty well!

p.s. I'm not taking first nations/shamanic/therianthropy/sprituality into consideration... as that isn't part of the argument!

For anyone that can't be bothered reading through 16 pages of all this I've just quoted the most relevant and useful answer (in regards to the OP) stated by 'paranormalguy'. Hopefully this helps to close this thread, although it seems to get necro'd a hell of a lot :wacko:.

The term "Lycan" seems to be a more modern adaptation made popular by the Underworld movies, despite the fact it 'may' have been used earlier, and is primarily used in conjunction with the term 'werewolf'.

Please don't confuse 'Lycanthropy' with 'Clinical Lycanthropy', the latter being a mental illness and the former pertaining to folkloric origins.

Hopefully this clears things up for any new viewers of this thread who just want to know the difference or lack-thereof between "Lycan" and "Werewolf", regardless of whether they exist or not.

• Like 3