Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

McCain: I'm like Teddy Roosevelt

questionmark

HUDSON, Wis., July 13 (UPI) -- Presumptive Republican U.S. presidential candidate John McCain says his views are closer to Theodore Roosevelt's than to more conservative presidents.

When asked which U.S. leaders his political philosophy most closely reflects, Sen. McCain, R-Ariz., chose the moderate Republican Roosevelt over such conservative stalwarts as Presidents George Bush and Ronald Reagan or 1964 Republican presidential nominee Barry Goldwater, The New York Times (NYSE:NYT) reported Sunday.

Roosevelt, U.S. president from 1901 to 1909, was known for his progressive social policies -- he was an early environmentalist -- and his willingness to let government intervene in financial markets when necessary, coupled with an aggressive and muscular foreign policy. McCain told the Times in Hudson, Wis., he admired that combination in Roosevelt.

"I believe less governance is the best governance, and that government should not do what the free enterprise and private enterprise and individual entrepreneurship and the states can do, but I also believe there is a role for government," McCain said.

His willingness to go against some of the basic tenets of the conservative movement illustrates his challenges in energizing their support for the November election, the Times said.

Full story, source: UPI

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Guardsman Bass

• Space Commander Travis

• HollyDolly

• questionmark

Top Posters In This Topic

That's kind of amusing, actually, since Roosevelt was widely despised by the Republican power brokers who set him up as McKinley's VP, then helped re-elect him. Mark Hanna actually said something like "We bought the son of a b**** and he didn't stay bought."

That said, you could do worse than Teddy Roosevelt or an equivalent in office. Arguably the nation would have been better off had Roosevelt taken the Republican nomination away from Taft at the Convention in 1912 then gone on to defeat that lying, racist douchebag Woodrow Wilson. *

*Wilson's one of those president that for some reason gets treated really well in history books but was actually quite appalling in history. He re-segregated the federal government (taking many jobs that had been traditionally given to blacks, like Postmaster and the like, and giving them to whites), launched the first strikes of anti-communist paranoia (the Palmer Raids), promised he wouldn't get the U.S. involved in World War I and then went back on his word (he was more or less openly sending supplies to Britain and France, which is why the Germans ultimately torpedoed the Lusitania), and launched a number of forays into Latin America.

Roosevelt, by contrast, was an imperialist-leaning President, but he also was a form of environmentalist (different from the current preservationist ethic, though), and a strong progressive and trust-buster. I doubt he would have been stupid enough to actually get us into World War I.

Should the bear popualtion of Mississippi (if there is one now) be worried or pleased by this news?

That's kind of amusing, actually, since Roosevelt was widely despised by the Republican power brokers who set him up as McKinley's VP, then helped re-elect him. Mark Hanna actually said something like "We bought the son of a b**** and he didn't stay bought."

That said, you could do worse than Teddy Roosevelt or an equivalent in office. Arguably the nation would have been better off had Roosevelt taken the Republican nomination away from Taft at the Convention in 1912 then gone on to defeat that lying, racist douchebag Woodrow Wilson. *

*Wilson's one of those president that for some reason gets treated really well in history books but was actually quite appalling in history. He re-segregated the federal government (taking many jobs that had been traditionally given to blacks, like Postmaster and the like, and giving them to whites), launched the first strikes of anti-communist paranoia (the Palmer Raids), promised he wouldn't get the U.S. involved in World War I and then went back on his word (he was more or less openly sending supplies to Britain and France, which is why the Germans ultimately torpedoed the Lusitania), and launched a number of forays into Latin America.

Roosevelt, by contrast, was an imperialist-leaning President, but he also was a form of environmentalist (different from the current preservationist ethic, though), and a strong progressive and trust-buster. I doubt he would have been stupid enough to actually get us into World War I.

While I don't know much about a black postmaster general or any of that,you are right about Wilson. And there are many who believe his second wife was the one running things when he had some illness,forgot the exact circumstances.

While I don't know much about a black postmaster general or any of that,you are right about Wilson. And there are many who believe his second wife was the one running things when he had some illness,forgot the exact circumstances.

He had a stroke, or something like that, in his second term. Like you said, it's believed that his wife was probably running things in his name during the (thankfully) brief remainder of his Presidency after the stroke.