Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Roanoke?

Naveed

All I know for sure is from history throughout school growing up, is that it was one of the first English colonies in North America. Some people went back to England and when they came back, it was abandoned, everyone was mysteriously gone. I think they either an off with some Native Americans or just vanished.

Shortly after Drake and the colonists had sailed, a supply ship sent out by Sir Walter Raleigh arrived at Hatoraske and after searching in vain for the colonists returned to England. About a fortnight after Raleigh's ship had left, Grenville arrived with three ships and likewise searched in vain for the colonists. Grenville found the places of colonial settlement desolate, but being "unwilling to loose the possession of the country which Englishmen had so long held," he left 15 men on Roanoke Island, fully provisioned for 2 years, to hold the country for the Queen while he returned to England.

Link #1

Link #2

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nxt2Hvn

• doomgirl

• Atlantis Rises

• strichar

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interesting story. thumbsup.gif

Poor colonist ! But it's not the first story I've heard about colonist. Those times were hard.

You are talking about the "Lost Colony".

There is an outdoor drama on the Lost Colony in Manteo North Carolina. It is a really good production.. I have seen it several times.

I am originally from Eastern North Carolina... and it was a big part of the North Carolina History lessons when I was in school.

Very interesting.. and they still don't know what happened to the Colony.. and I predict .. they never will.

Check out these Site:

Link to the Story of The Lost Colony

Link to info on the Outdoor Drama of the Lost Colony

I remember a long time ago on fox's "freaky links", the show in which the famous "civil war pteradactyl", The there was an episode on Roanoke. I believe It was the season finally, and the last episode. I remember reading some where that when the only known roanoke survivor, who went to England to get supplys, came back only to find everyone gone and the name of a nearby island carved on a tree. I believe he died before he could check the island for his friends and familys. Or of course it could just be aliens! alien.gifalien.gif

some like that happen with Columbus to from what I remember, if I can find it I was post a link

If I remember correctly, when they came back, all they had found were some words carved in a tree. I can't remember what they were though. It was something that didn't seem to make any sense though. I did hear that some years later colonists had come in contact with some native americans not too far from roanoke that had blonde hair and blue eyes. I imagine the colonists probably were just having trouble, befriended a tribe of native americans and after not hearing from anyone for so long just went to go live with the indians.

If you had checked the link in my previous reply you would have seen that the word was "Croatoan"...

This is a quote from the story in the link above

The only clue he found was the word "Croatoan" carved in a tree. To this day no one knows what happened to them. It's possible that the Colonists joined with the friendly Croatoan natives. Or were they massacred by the unfriendly Wanchese tribe? No one knows for sure.

Here is another link to a story on the "Lost Colony"

Lost Colony NPS Link

I have always found this folk tale interesting. The reason why I call it a folk tale is because it strikes remincant of one, a story created to harbour a hidden meaning of isolation and desolation. The people of Roanoke disappeared mysteriously, that's true...however, some theorists believe they did in fact get transported to another colony unknown and the colonies name was Croatoan. Others believe that they were all killed and cast into the sea, for whatever reason unknown. Others believe, and highly unlikely, that they were...and I hate this word...abducted by persons or others unknown. Stephen King in his TV mini-series casts a highly implausible theory to Roanoke's disappearance in his movie "Storm of the Century", where he claims a demon manipulated them and forced them to walk into the sea and drown because they didn't give the demon what he wanted. Unfortunately, this may be one of those tragic stories that may never be solved by conventional science.