Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Megalania - The Killer Lizard

Undeadskeptic

Rex? He's a brilliant fake but not much more. IMO.

Nah, a full-grown man/woman could beat the **** outta any given Komodo.

Do you mean humans, or Kiwis? :rofl:

Hrrmmzz, I was being polite, a good listen to Rex's theories would even have makay325 doubting Biff. Have you heard Rex's ancient pyramid world travellers theory? The guy is pretty out there. The box he thinks out of is long gone to the tip.

That Swiss tourist killing was pretty surprising you have to admit, I didn't think Komodo's were that bold. Though, up close, I doubt I'd test the theory.

Normally komodos don't try to eat adult humans because they look so big to thim with our abilbity to stand 5-6 feet tall. In fact, some anthropolosgists believe our bipedal stance is what saved mankind from extinction.

Unfortuntately the Swiss man was sitting down, making him look more like a pig or goat, and after the first 'taste', and the man proved edible, it was all over. If you want to eaten by a komodo dragon it would really be quite easy. Just sneak out in the bush away from the group and rangers, comepletely naked, and crawl around on your hands and knees until a 'dragon' spots you. No trace of you would ever be found, unless somebody decided to break apart every fresh dragon dropping looking for your teeth, hair, and nails, for these are the only parts of your body their stomach acids can't dissolve, (unless you have plastic and stainless steel rplacements.)

Ironically, in captiivity, komodos are as gentle as kittens (providing you are not the size of a kitten), with even young children allowed to pet them.

Edited by draconic chronicler

IMO, Rex Gilroy is a fraud not a loony. I believe he is quite sane, knows there are people who will believe him and buy his books and basically exploits them and their intrests. I believe he is a hoaxer not a nutter. :)

I'm sure he'd be happy to know :lol:

All this talk of 'puny humans' is making Komodo's seem like Godzilla's which is simply hilarious. Humans have killed more Komodos than they have humans. They are far from being natures ultimate monster.

Because we are ;)

Of course Komodos are not an ultimate monster. In captivity they become cuddly pets. But if you lived in their habitat, didn't have a gun, and walked around on your hands and feet like a fat wild boar, you would be just another meal.

Yes humans are quite 'puny' without their technology, and in the sprit of the 'new rules' please show us evidence of any human killing an adult komodo without the benefit of modern weapons. And what a load of nonsense to believe aborigines with stone spears killing a 30 foot long megalania. They could kill the Megalania's food supply of giant stupid Megafauna, and were smart enought to avoid the giant lizards, and with less food they stopped breeding and the remnants eventually died.

Yes I must agree as a resident, not much in the outback to thrive on. Piccy of the Aussie Outback.

There are two stories concerning the discovery, one purports a 1910 date, the other is a claim of fishermen finding the lizards in 1912. Would you know which one is the genuine article?

I had not heard about that tourist, frightening, sat down for a minute huh? You'd think the party would have heard screams. Must be quite efficient at killing when they want to be. I spotted the story about the 8 year old boy too. Do you know how many deaths have been attributed to these creatures?

They can see 300 meters (985 feet)!! Geez, that's impressive!

Source.

This season's Monster Quest will have a whole show on Megs and komodos and will discuss all of the known human deaths by the latter. I have read that there are more tourists that were eaten than just the Swiss Guy.

Many people don't realize that the tiny 'hobbit' people's remains are from the island of Flores, one of the places Komodo dragons still live but no more hobbits. Like the aborigines and the megs, they obviously learned to avoid the less intelligent lizards, but every once in a while, with their excellent predator's senses, careless stone age hobbits undoubtedly ended up in a Komodo's stomach..... and maybe that's why they are gone.

Kind of ironic there happened to be "dragons" on "hobbit island", or those tiny humanoids might still be around!

Hi

Just a quick post. As you have taken entire pages from our website I would ask if you would kindly add that this is from a website and also write the url of that website thanks It is also copy written as it is from a book. The website you took that from has all images and text copywritten..

Entire Website © Rex & Heather Gilroy | URU Publications ® ™ Rex & Heather Gilroy | All Rights Reserved

please add url.

One thing the Komodo dragon' and the relation to Megalania prisca owen (Sir Richard Owen bing the person who identified the bones). The Komodo is not only related to Megalania but, most scientists agree it is more than likley the grand father of the Komodo.

Megalania is still alive in remote areas, either as it's giant form or a related species.

Giant tracks-which one was cast are on this website-where you originally took the below page from.

Original website

http://www.mysteriousaustralia.com/ then click the link on the left-hand-side Australian Giant Lizard Research

Link to giant cast-which by the way is not the only evidence, there are other casts, as there are still eyewitnesses coming forward and two shows on Megalania had two farmers-one who said he saw a molted coloured lizard over 30 feet long!!

We just received an email just this week, from a lady who back in 1990 was sitting above a ledge at the back of her property and saw a huge lizard, bigger than should be there, but there it was, the head was the size of a football and over 15 feet in length. She was terrified.

Australia has over 25,000 km's of coastline and the interior in some places is a thick hell-hole jungle where hardly any white man has ever ventured, there are cave-systems where the Aborigines say they lived, the same Aborigines walked through these same cave systems to go through mountains, instead of walking over them. Even in the outback there are still cave systems and sink-holes that are beyond belief. One system in the top end was shown to go all the way to Adelaide. That is thousands of kilometers.

Wowee was the giant lizard the Aborigines say they eventually burnt in its cave. It used to come and steal Lubras and men and eat them whole, they one day had enough courage to go and at the entrance covered it in sticks and grasses and while WOWEE was sleeping burnt the entrance to the cave and Wowee was never seen again, one of many giant lizards in Aboriginal history.

Then there is the composite skeleton at Queensland Museum-also at the above giant lizard link at Mysterious Australia. Man in Australia only turned these creatures deeper and deeper into Australia's thicker bush areas and mountainous cave systems. The great Dividing Range is one long system with inter-connecting labyrinths.

I have spoken to a group of school children (actually all 16-18) who were camping just north of Sydney in the National Park, when one of the boys went to the toilet with his foot half on a large log, the log moved and he fell to the ground and 15 of the school children and the teachers (2) saw this 20 foot+ lizard bound through the bust knocking over much of what was in it's path-they left the instant it left.

I myself have seen a 12 foot lizard (this lizard was 2-3 feet longer than the one at Toronga Park zoo-at the time of our sighting) at a place called Seals rocks, where this huge lizard was stealing cigarettes-of all things, from the caravans and tents near us. One day after a fight between a few people over who was stealing the cigarettes this huge goanna just bounded out of the lantana and then into the caravan making a racket and then came out with red Marlborough cigarettes, we followed it-slowly, and found a pile of red and blue packets of Cigarettes over 100 packets and other coloured stolen items.

That's a crazy story about a 12 foot lizard stealing packs of cigarettes out of tents and caravans. I find it surprising that nobody took a picture of such an extraordinary event. You'd think every tourist would have a camera.

It is true that lizards have excellent color vision unlike many mammals. I have never heard of any lizards hoarding inedible, bright colored objects like that, but it is an interesting comparision to the legends of dragons hoarding treasures of human-made objects. Perhaps this was an isolated case of reincarnation, and in its former life as a human, the lizard was a 'carton a day' chain smoker.

All that aborigine 'dragonslayer' story needed to be right was a beautiful princess sacrifice. I somehow doubt some burning twigs and branches would prevent a massive giant lizard that wanted to breathe from escaping its lair. But it is still a better story than some of the outrageously stupid dragonslayer stories invented by medieval europeans (or even modern fiction writers).

And you are wrong about the close relationship between megs and komodos. MODERN scientific literature all agrees that the Meg is MUCH closer related to Oz's largest known living lizard today, the Lace Monitor. In fact, one could say that the Meg actually didn't go extinct, but when the large prey was all killed off, they just evolved into a smaller animal. This is true of many 'pygmy' species. If mankind and the imported carnivores like dogs all died out in OZ with some nuclear scenario, if there was plently of food, the Lace monitor might become the dominant land predator and eventually become a 'meg' again!

Thats funny, I thought this topic was about Megalania, not dragons.

This season's Monster Quest will have a whole show on Megs and komodos and will discuss all of the known human deaths by the latter. I have read that there are more tourists that were eaten than just the Swiss Guy.

Many people don't realize that the tiny 'hobbit' people's remains are from the island of Flores, one of the places Komodo dragons still live but no more hobbits. Like the aborigines and the megs, they obviously learned to avoid the less intelligent lizards, but every once in a while, with their excellent predator's senses, careless stone age hobbits undoubtedly ended up in a Komodo's stomach..... and maybe that's why they are gone.

Kind of ironic there happened to be "dragons" on "hobbit island", or those tiny humanoids might still be around!

Thanks for the tip, I'll look out to see if I can view it online anywhere. Unfortunately we don't receive the show down here that I am aware of.

:) It is ironic when you put it that way. I hope they are still around, considering the possible alternate lineage we may have with Florensis, it would be fascinating to meet such a cousin. I'd like to hope 2 species of Homo made it through to modern day.

No holding out hopes with those Georgia clowns though :lol:

Thats funny, I thought this topic was about Megalania, not dragons.

If the meglania were definately alive and seen by the first European explorers to Australia, it would have undoubtedly been called a 'dragon', and probably the "Australian Dragon", just like the "Komodo Dragon."

I believe the most detailed book on the Megalania, written by a scientist is called "Dragons in the Dust".

If the meglania were definately alive and seen by the first European explorers to Australia, it would have undoubtedly been called a 'dragon', and probably the "Australian Dragon", just like the "Komodo Dragon."

I believe the most detailed book on the Megalania, written by a scientist is called "Dragons in the Dust".

Yes, that's what they would have called Megalania.

That's not what Megalania is.

Yes, that's what they would have called Megalania.

That's not what Megalania is.

For the record, I NEVER connected the Megalania or Komodo monitors with the intelligent, possibly supernatural dragons believed in, and often worshipped by mankind all over the world for thouands of years.

There is no evidence that human komodo islanders ever worshipped komodo dragons, becuase they were simply dangerous nuisances, yet in that region we do see plenty of "godly dragons" in Budhist beliefs and punisher dragons in Moslem beliefs. So we see that there is no credence in believing our ancestors worshipped dangerous wild animals or even more ridiculous, their dry bones. No, they differentiated the flying, intelligent dragons all over the world from mere snakes, giant lizards, crocodiles, etc. Even the reptilian entity of New Zealand you brought up, often described like a giant monitor lizard was no mere animal according to the stories. It protected certain tribes, and punished those that disobeyed religious taboos. Komodo dragons do not do any of these things.

For the record, I NEVER connected the Megalania or Komodo monitors with the intelligent, possibly supernatural dragons believed in, and often worshipped by mankind all over the world for thouands of years.

There is no evidence that human komodo islanders ever worshipped komodo dragons, becuase they were simply dangerous nuisances, yet in that region we do see plenty of "godly dragons" in Budhist beliefs and punisher dragons in Moslem beliefs. So we see that there is no credence in believing our ancestors worshipped dangerous wild animals or even more ridiculous, their dry bones. No, they differentiated the flying, intelligent dragons all over the world from mere snakes, giant lizards, crocodiles, etc. Even the reptilian entity of New Zealand you brought up, often described like a giant monitor lizard was no mere animal according to the stories. It protected certain tribes, and punished those that disobeyed religious taboos. Komodo dragons do not do any of these things.

That's funny, I don't recall this thread being about godly dragons...

• 7 years later...

in 1988 I was working on a station along the Murrumbidgee River between Hay & Darlington Point. I hadn't been there long when I came home to find a HUGE goanna eyeing off my corgi's. This thing was as tall as my fence which was hip high to me. It had front legs bigger than my arms & would have been longer than my car. I swear this thing was HUGE !!! 
I thought it was a croc but it had a goana's head, I thought it was a komodo dragon but it was twice the size of the one at Sydney Zoo. I told the boss who put a proper mesh fence up in stead of just sheep ring lock.

i recon these lizards are still alive !

39 minutes ago, Kerry B said:

in 1988 I was working on a station along the Murrumbidgee River between Hay & Darlington Point. I hadn't been there long when I came home to find a HUGE goanna eyeing off my corgi's. This thing was as tall as my fence which was hip high to me. It had front legs bigger than my arms & would have been longer than my car. I swear this thing was HUGE !!! 
I thought it was a croc but it had a goana's head, I thought it was a komodo dragon but it was twice the size of the one at Sydney Zoo. I told the boss who put a proper mesh fence up in stead of just sheep ring lock.

...and then what happened? You just ignored it? Something that big and strong would have been able to plow through a fence and eat your dogs with no issue.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kerry B said:

That's only about 35 klicks from Griffith. A land lizard the size of a salty would be hard to miss. That body mass wouldn't appear out of thin air, either. Someone would bound to miss some livestock chance upon some kills.

Podo I was so frightened, I grabbed the 2 dogs, put them inside then started banging on the back of the house with a saucepan. It just turned around very slowly & walked into the bush. It could have eaten a corgi in one mouthful. I was only 20, I didn't have much money, didn't have a camera so no proof. The property I was on was 155,000 acres next door was 55,000 acres, Uardry was just up the river towards Hay. There is a lot of river lands with lots of bush on it. I was sure one of my cows went missing but I just thought she must have fallen into the river....who knows???
If I knew then what I know now, I would have looked for foot prints etc. I was just too frightened to go out the back in that bush again. The station I was on was called Wyvern Station. 

On 2016-05-27 at 0:55 AM, Kerry B said:

Podo I was so frightened, I grabbed the 2 dogs, put them inside then started banging on the back of the house with a saucepan. It just turned around very slowly & walked into the bush. It could have eaten a corgi in one mouthful. I was only 20, I didn't have much money, didn't have a camera so no proof. The property I was on was 155,000 acres next door was 55,000 acres, Uardry was just up the river towards Hay. There is a lot of river lands with lots of bush on it. I was sure one of my cows went missing but I just thought she must have fallen into the river....who knows???

If I knew then what I know now, I would have looked for foot prints etc. I was just too frightened to go out the back in that bush again. The station I was on was called Wyvern Station. 

Eating a corgi isn't exactly difficult, since they are not very large. A saltwater crocodile could consume a corgi with no problem, as far as I know; Hammerclaw, correct me if I'm wrong. If you were young and as scared as you say you were, it seems like you probably saw a crocodile.

Edited by Podo

Salties can look very lizard like, so maybe. Even a fifteen foot 'gator's nothing to sneeze at.  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3616875/It-like-came-Jurassic-Park-Monster-alligator-stuns-golfers-casually-strolling-Florida-golf-course.html

• Like 1

This is a joke, knowing what weekend hunters are like in country Australia, anything that large would have more holes in it than a sieve, very quickly !

I've never know of a croc came down south ? I was on the Murrumbidgee River between Hay & Darlington Point, over 700kms from the sea in any direction. It is also very cold out there near the Hay Plains. the thing I saw had a goana's head & it could have grabbed my corgi's with no problem but it didn't. I know what I saw !!!

17 hours ago, Kerry B said:

I've never know of a croc came down south ? I was on the Murrumbidgee River between Hay & Darlington Point, over 700kms from the sea in any direction. It is also very cold out there near the Hay Plains. the thing I saw had a goana's head & it could have grabbed my corgi's with no problem but it didn't. I know what I saw !!!

Well you clearly do not know what you saw, or you wouldn't have made a post looking for answers. I stand by my previous post: giant goannas are not real, so logically you either saw a crocodile, or are lying. Now, I believe that you could possibly think you saw a giant goanna, since memory is a funny thing and this event took place many decades ago. But, it is just too much of a stretch to conclude anything without evidence of some kind.

Edited by Podo
  • Like 1