Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Iraqi Leader Stirs up US Campaign

questionmark

Iraqi Leader Stirs up US Campaign

Obama is pleased, but McCain certainly is not. In an interview with SPIEGEL, Iraqi Prime Minister al-Maliki expressed support for Obama's troop withdrawal plans. Despite a half-hearted retraction, the comments have stirred up the US presidential campaign. SPIEGEL stands by its version of the conversation.

Comments made by Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki in an interview with SPIEGEL (more...) published on Saturday have stirred up the campaign teams of both Barack Obama and John McCain this weekend. And late on Saturday, Maliki tried to distance himself from the statements, saying his comments were misunderstood.

In the interview, Maliki expressed support of Obama's plan to withdraw US troops from Iraq within 16 months. "That, we think, would be the right timeframe for a withdrawal, with the possibility of changes."

Maliki was quick to back away from an outright endorsement of Obama, saying "who they choose as their president is the Americans' business." But he then went on to say: "But it's the business of Iraqis to say what they want. And that's where the people and the government are in general agreement: The tenure of the coalition troops in Iraq should be limited."

A Baghdad government spokesman, Ali al-Dabbagh, said in a statement that SPIEGEL had "misunderstood and mistranslated" the Iraqi prime minister, but didn't point to where the misunderstanding or mistranslation might have occurred. Al-Dabbagh said Maliki's comments "should not be understood as support to any US presidential candidates." The statement was sent out by the press desk of the US-led Multinational Force in Iraq.

A number of media outlets likewise professed to being confused by the statement from Maliki's office. The New York Times pointed out that al-Dabbagh's statement "did not address a specific error." CBS likewise expressed disbelief pointing out that Maliki mentions a timeframe for withdrawal three times in the interview and then asks, "how likely is it that SPIEGEL mistranslated three separate comments? Matthew Yglesias, a blogger for the Atlantic Monthly, was astonished by "how little effort was made" to make the Baghdad denial convincing. And the influential blog IraqSlogger also pointed out the lack of specifics in the government statement.

SPIEGEL sticks to its version of the conversation.

Maliki's comments immediately hit the headlines of US papers and Web sites across the country, partly the result of a White House employee inadvertently sending out a news alert to its full media distribution list. The White House said it was an error and that it was meant to be sent internally only.

The Obama campaign was quick to welcome Maliki's expression of support, with his top foreign policy advisor, Susan Rice, saying "Senator Obama welcomes Prime Minister Maliki's support for a 16 month timeline for the redeployment of US combat brigades. This presents an important opportunity to transition to Iraqi responsibility, while restoring our military and increasing our commitment to finish the fight in Afghanistan."

In an interview with SPIEGEL published this weekend Rice said (more...): "Obama's view is that circumstances in Pakistan and Afghanistan pose the most dangerous threat to Europe and to the US right now. Al-Qaida is regrouping and reconstituting their safe haven; the Taliban are gaining strength. Europe is closer to that threat than we are. Yet, we all have to take it very seriously. The US has to put more resources and troops into Afghanistan, and NATO should do the same, while, to the greatest extent possible, lifting operational restrictions."

Full story, source: Der Spiegel

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Michelle

• questionmark

• The Silver Thong

• Lt_Ripley

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe it was "inadvertently" sent to the media. Everyone should know by now that the more other countries try to influence the way Americans vote the more stubborn they become. Many of the ones that were teetering in between just toppled over the line.

This did nothing but help McCain's campaign and if Obama is pleased he's an idiot.

I don't believe it was "inadvertently" sent to the media. Everyone should know by now that the more other countries try to influence the way Americans vote the more stubborn they become. Many of the ones that were teetering in between just toppled over the line.

This did nothing but help McCain's campaign and if Obama is pleased he's an idiot.

lmao. this has helped Obama. McCain has been belly aching since the Times and media has placed more focus on Obama than him. The world in 2004 didn't want Bush in . Papers printed how stupid could Americans be reelecting him out of fear ---- they were right.

Honestly i think he steeped over the line's.

he did exactly as someone that has the intelligence to be president should do - practice diplomacy and not rush to war. This is not the first time Maliki has asked for troop withdrawl. it's the third.

what's odd is none of the republicans have gone over except to go shopping in a Baghdad fruit market. nothing substantial out of any of them.

Edited by Lt_Ripley

lmao. this has helped Obama. McCain has been belly aching since the Times and media has placed more focus on Obama than him. The world in 2004 didn't want Bush in . Papers printed how stupid could Americans be reelecting him out of fear ---- they were right.

he did exactly as someone that has the intelligence to be president should do - practice diplomacy and not rush to war. This is not the first time Maliki has asked for troop withdrawl. it's the third.

what's odd is none of the republicans have gone over except to go shopping in a Baghdad fruit market. nothing substantial out of any of them.

I don't care what the world wants. I care what is best for the USA. Neither of these two are best for the USA. This is of course my opinion. I am also beginning to think that Jackson slip up wasn't a slip up.

I don't care what the world wants. I care what is best for the USA.

When they express a desire for us to leave and we refuse, that's when it becomes an occupation.

When they express a desire for us to leave and we refuse, that's when it becomes an occupation.

Well stated. The USA invaded a sovereign nation without provocation. Time to leave ASAP.

The world in 2004 didn't want Bush in .

Exactly my point....as daniel said, "he doesn't care what the world wants" and neither do most Americans when it comes to OUR elections.

Exactly my point....as daniel said, "he doesn't care what the world wants" and neither do most Americans when it comes to OUR elections.

So then it's ok for the U.S. to worry about every other nations elections. Hmmm how many governments have been forced upon by the U.S. and had governments implaced or changed by said nation ? I can think of a few, can't you? Hypocrisy at it finest... The world is in fear of the u.s. because of Bush, and as you said most American's don't care. That must make the world feel better. The most dangerous country on the planet, ran by a freakin nut bar. Nope nothing to look at hear, just move along. LOL The U.S. damn well should care about world opinion and who's next to run the war machine and to think not is well, arrogant!

I didn't say it was right, but when people/countries start telling you how you should and shouldn't vote it becomes more personal.

I don't remember a time when there was a campaign, in another country, that the general US population tried to influence it like the UK did in the last election. I saw more people dig their heels and say, "how dare they" than ever before in my life...much to the detriment of their cause.

Remember, I'm talking about elections here and nothing else. I think you would have the same reaction when push came to shove.

I don't care what the world wants. I care what is best for the USA. Neither of these two are best for the USA. This is of course my opinion. I am also beginning to think that Jackson slip up wasn't a slip up.

Well, the best for the USA? Not make debts that this generation will not be able to pay in order to pay for a futile war in Iraq. But I guess it is too late for that.

maybe this is why the world is backing Obama rather than McCain ? aside from mccain being just another war monger.

Asked by Diane Sawyer whether the "the situation in Afghanistan in precarious and urgent," McCain responded: "I think it's serious. . . . It's a serious situation, but there's a lot of things we need to do. We have a lot of work to do and I'm afraid it's a very hard struggle, particularly given the situation on the Iraq/Pakistan border."

But as ABC's Rick Klein noted: "Iraq and Pakistan do not share a border. Afghanistan and Pakistan do."

he hasn't a clue .

video

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/07/21/m...n_n_114013.html

maybe this is why the world is backing Obama rather than McCain ? aside from mccain being just another war monger.

Asked by Diane Sawyer whether the "the situation in Afghanistan in precarious and urgent," McCain responded: "I think it's serious. . . . It's a serious situation, but there's a lot of things we need to do. We have a lot of work to do and I'm afraid it's a very hard struggle, particularly given the situation on the Iraq/Pakistan border."

But as ABC's Rick Klein noted: "Iraq and Pakistan do not share a border. Afghanistan and Pakistan do."

he hasn't a clue .

video

Dubya reloaded...with the beginning of Alzheimer's

he hasn't a clue .

video

He thinks it's serious, holy crap

Man oh man Mccain is starting to show sighns of demensia, what a dork stick.

It was just a misstep, like that 57 states comment Obama made (people think he ment the 57 muslim states, when he said he "didn't visit one, and wasn't allowed to alaska and hawwaii.. he ment 47)