Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Ohio Howl

SOLANUM

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Sappington

• distortedpandy

• Agent. Mulder

• Podo

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

the ohio grassman maybe?

all be it, it almost sounds like a siren at first.

I think it just straight-up sounds like a siren.

Sounds like a human faking a howl or maybbe a wolf or something. Maybbe some type of small siren but Im not sure.

I've heard that before - outside. Didn't think anything of it. :mellow:

I've heard something like that before too. I don't remember much, but I mean it was exactly like what was in the video. I didn't think much of it, because I was a little bit younger when I heard it, but now that I think about it, it was sort of creepy.

I think I heard something like that a few months ago in my woods. But it could be my imagination changing around dog noises or something.

Ok first off I grew up and currently live within a 45 min drive of the area this was recorded in. I suppose this does give me a bit of perspective others wouldnt have and its not like this area doesnt have its share of honest to goodness no reason to lie down to earth sightings of Bigfoot. Including the story of how one of them was watching a guy renting a garage on my parents property and then walked through our yard and down into a hollow the leads to a large creek bottom. It left nice footprints in the snow btw and a handprint, so Im told.

Given this I will say this is a siren. Here is why. About a half mile from my parents house is a volunteer fire station. To my ear this "howl" matches the emergency siren that firestation had almost perfectly. Sounds like the same length of tone and spacing between them actually. The only thing I can say is different is the tone but the recoding doesnt seem to be the best and distance/terrain could easily change how it would sound. An emergency siren would also explain why it is only sometimes heard.

Also being late at night and in the fall gives just about perfect conditions for sounds to travel. I know from experiance that under the right conditions (cold, clear fall/winter nights almost always) the trains down in the steel mill could be clearly heard and sound like they were just beyond the trees at the edge of the field though they were infact about 2 miles away at least. One of the effects of that hollow mentioned above. I could easily see the sound of a siren traveling fairly far and only being heard under the right conditions. Plus we also have to think of it being the fall so leaves are off the trees thus making sounds carry even better or further.

Then I think if you listen close it sounds like there is a hollow or some sort of feature making the dogs bark echo a little bit. This then makes me think the terrain is helping to carry the sound like I mentioned at my parents house.

Off the top of my head I can think of at least two other towns in the area that have or had emergency sirens though neither of them is within a half hours drive of the location this was recorded. Obviously I dont know all the towns on both sides of the river that have emergency sirens but it just seems really likely that that is what this howl really is.

I will have to listen and research the rest of the recordings on that site. At first listen a few sounds like other normal critters (coyotes) but others sound.......weird.....

Kevin A.

Interesting, Kevin. That's a good insight; it gives me a lot to think about.

This recording has always been very intresting to me.

http://www.bfro.net/avevid/mjm/Howl.mp3

Discuss

I thought I was about to agree with the siren theroy but I kept listening to it over a few times and I can hear a wavering inthe pitch like a howel would be, a siren would not waver, its at about 3/4 way through the recording, so I am gonna say Not so sure its a siren.... B) Edited by Aanica