Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What are you reading?

Naveed

Assassin's Creed: Renaissance by Oliver Bowden

First time I've heard that AC has a novella. better look into that.. :)

I have just finished reading "The Wheel of Darkness" by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child. They have written many books but I'm particularly fond of the Agent Pendergast novels. They're super easy to read because they flow so nicely. Very descriptive, you can absolutley picture what is going on in your head. They're good to read when you're on a very long, boring road trip. I finished mine on an 8 hour drive to Ottawa.

Just finished reading Use of Weapons and as usual, it was a great read, a great work by Banks... but for now, I'm taking a break from the Culture Universe, I'll start reading Foundation's Fear by Gregory Benford.

The Life Of Billy Yank by Bell Irvin Wiley. Afterwards, The Life of Johnny Reb by the same author.

I've taken an interest in the Civil War. Thus I am pursuing the writings of Bruce Catton, Shelby Foote, Bell Irvin Wiley, etc.

I just finished "Into the wild" by Jon Krakauer. No, I havn't seen the movie.

The movie is excellent directed by Sean Penn.

I'm too lazy to search if anyone's mentioned it but has anyone read The Road by Cormac McCarthy? I absolutely loved it. Haven't seen the movie yet but I've heard good things.

Edited by ~TheBigK~

I'm too lazy to search if anyone's mentioned it but has anyone read The Road by Cormac McCarthy? I absolutely loved it. Haven't seen the movie yet but I've heard good things.

Ironically, I haven't read this book. But wholeheartedly recommend Blood Meridian and Child of God. The former is one of the most disturbing, violent westerns I've ever read and the latter is about a character living in the rurals based upon serial killer Albert Fish.

Ironically, I haven't read this book. But wholeheartedly recommend Blood Meridian and Child of God. The former is one of the most disturbing, violent westerns I've ever read and the latter is about a character living in the rurals based upon serial killer Albert Fish.

I've wanted to read Blood Meridian. Didn't know Child of God was based on Albert Fish though, I'm very intrigued now. Thanks. :tu:

I've wanted to read Blood Meridian. Didn't know Child of God was based on Albert Fish though, I'm very intrigued now. Thanks. :tu:

Both I give high recs, especially Blood Meridian, very disturbing western.

I have read it and simply loved it. It was slow during the start and that gave it time to settle on my mind and then like a sweet symphony it went on and on.

Very inspiring story. Loved it.

just finished reading Forever Free and Forever Peace...

now reading The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula Le Guin.

Just finished reading The Lathe of Heaven by Le Guin.

Now reading RAMA II By A.C. Clarke.

I'm reading The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver. This book is so exquisitely written. It is a fictional diary by a young boy (so far) whose Mother flees to Mexico with him to a rich man's home, the rich man's name is Enrique. I won't say any more, this is what is already laid out. I would highly recommend it though I haven't gotten too far yet so no spoilers please.

Now reading Galactic North by Alastair Reynolds.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi K, I read The Road and it was a very difficult read. I actually had to put it away for a couple of weeks and then continue. It's very dark, bleak and depressing but it is definitely great literature. I have to say, though, that it is really well-written and I am glad that I read it.

If I were you, I would give it a pass until the sun is shining at least.

Also, re Anthony Bourdain, I read Kitchen Confidential years ago and really enjoyed it. Love his show on the Travel Channel. I had dinner at his restaurant, Les Halles, a few weeks ago and the waiter told us that the had been there that morning, shooting something for the show. Darnit!!

Oops, just realized your posts were from last year! Did you get around to reading the Road?

Edited by archernyc

At the moment I am reading "The Mote in Gods Eye" by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. I'm not very far into it (Really only about 100 pages - I started last night) but so far so good... It mildly irks me that Purnelle and Niven are so careful in explaining every bit of physics that is going on (Sometimes that is fun and sometimes it's not... This time it's mostly fun but it feels like it get's in the way of the narrative every now and then) but the backstory of the setting is deep enough to hook me.

Let's put it this way - right now it is not a book that is impossible to put down, but it's more than good enough to keep reading.