Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What are you reading?

Naveed

Not long started the first book in Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy. I forget its title... Assassin's Apprentice or something?It was reccommended by a close friend, and I'm getting quite into it despite being initially a bit wary of the first person narrative. It works well in Lovecraft's shorts, Ramsey Campbell etc when more like a statement, or account, but I'm always a bit sceptical that someone can really remember a full-blown conversation when they were six, or whatever... But no, it's actually quite good! Couple of really moving bits so far that I don't think will leave me for a while.

'Thief of Lives' by Barb and JC Hendee. I bought the first book quite a while ago and while searching found out there is a huge series! I am going to be busy for a while reading and then tracking the next one down. Lol

• 2 weeks later...

And Feed by Mira Grant. This book series was recommended to me as one of the finest zombie apocalypse literature written since World War Z. This isnt a series that is pure survival horror but takes place 20 years after the rising. It revolves around surviving bloggers using their investigative skills to uncover a governmental/global conspiracy behind the reasons for the zombies.

It is a trilogy.

Book 1: Feed

Book 2: Deadline

Book 3: Blackout

Book Zero: Countdown

Here is the author's site: Http://www.miragrant.com

I should have learnt from Final Destination that it's not over till it's over.

Btw I've got the first three in my possession so it's quite a shock it's still incomplete.

I honestly didn't want to drag my carcass to Manchester but I've got to now.

It's exclusive to HMV because the really good books don't end on Tesco's shelves.

I've read the first book and honestly I was concentrating on the actions of the zombies more.

They just seem to steal the show in every appearance they make.

Though the zombie disease is still dormant in the heroine.

But her precaution of wearing shades didn't stop her getting turned.

I'm currently reading The Sign by Raymond Khoury.

But I had just finished a book called Nightfall by Stephen Leather.

It certainly was hell for...

This father sold his son's birthright to a devil then had him adopted.

The son's pentagram was in a very unique place at the back of his iris.

Edited by Medium Brown

I have about 100 more pages to read in People Who Eat Darkness, a true story about a 21 year old girl, Lucie Blackman, who went missing in Tokyo two months after she and her best friend arrived there to work as bar hostesses.

The author is a journalist, and reported on the story as it happened.

War In The Shadows-The Guerrilla in History by Robert B. Asprey

Well worth reading very interesting look from hannibal to the cold war

Andre Breton's: Surealist Manifesto

Amazing look into the mind of the artist.

1924!

Edited by HDesiato

I'm about halfway through Tim Dorsey's newest: "Riptide ultra-glide." Crazy, wacky misadventures in Florida when you need a little less seriousness in your life. :yes:

I'm only going to post reviews of amazing books from now on...

The subject of nano- technology cropped up again in " The Sign".

This reclusive priest ended up as a messiah but who in reality was just a patsy.

In fact there was quite a few people used in a conspiracy that came straight from the corridors of power.

This multi millionaire wanted to use this manufactured sign to highlight global warming.

However the situation got took out of his hands by a Washington power broker.

He wanted the priest to give a little speech,wave his hands in the air while the sign hovered above.

The intent being to destabilise the Muslim faith and strengthen the Christian one.

And then if that wasn't enough do a big reveal of the device and destabilise the Christians.

The power broker also used a reporter in his machinatons.

Near the end it was down to a reformed car thief to save the day.

However the multi- millionaire was reduced to a hired hand while the reformed car thief provided the muscle.

The multi- millionaire was put in an impossible position by having his bodyguards put in place by the power broker.

One last thing.. the reformed car thieves brother was held hostage to power up the device.

Edited by Medium Brown

My National Geographic magazine from Dec. 2009 on the search of planets outside the solar system entitled "Are we Alone? In search for another Earth." I used to have a subscription to NGO until last spring going back to when I first read NGO at age 8 and used to be a member of the National Geographic society, but never bought much anything else from them.

I finished 'The Shipping News' by Annie Proulx a couple of days ago. I last read it some years ago when it first came out .... long enough ago to have forgotten the plot. I love it! Proulx is brilliant at making the environment come alive, plus, her characters are very believable. The story is about a rather weak man who becomes a widower and moves to Newfoundland with his two small children to start a new life. Some very funny, quirky observations by Proulx.

Because I enjoyed that so much I bought 'Heart Songs' by the same author: 11 short stories set in poor rural areas of America. The stories are all pretty grim, but I enjoyed reading them because, again, as snapshots of real life they are gems. I also bought 'Postcards' by Proulx ...... looking forward to starting that tomorrow!

Proulx is probably most famous for writing 'Brokeback Mountain' (which I haven't read).

A Gathering Of Crows by Brian Keene, Just started it today!

I just finished Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. I've never read 372 pages so fast and don't remember ever having so much fun reading anything.

Here's the summary on the back :

In the year 2044, reality is an ugly place. The only time teenage Wade Watts really feels alive is when he's jacked into the virtual utopia known as the Oasis. Wade's devoted his life to studying the puzzles hidden within this world's digital confines - puzzles that are based on their creator's obsession with the pop culture of decades past and that promise massive power and fortune to whoever can unlock them.

But when Wade stumbles upon the first clue, he finds himself beset by players willing to kill to take this ultimate prize. The race is on, and if Wade's going to survive, he'll have to win - and confront the real world he's always been so desperate to escape.

Here's a review I completely agree with :

If you identify yourself as a nerd, geek, gamer, 1980s history buff, a fan of science fiction, fantasy, or dystopian fiction, otaku, 1980s movie fan, romantic, someone who grew up in the 80s, or a human with emotions - you will enjoy Ready Player One. if you identify with two or more of the above, it's a guaranteed new favorite novel.

I finished 'Postcards' by Annie Proulx this afternoon ....... it was amazing! She has a very distinct, original style of writing. This story was also rather grim, but gripping too: it's the story of one man's life from 30 to 70yrs after he murders his girlfriend and goes on the run. The story starts in the early 1900s on a poor, rundown farm.

I loved this book so much that I've just now ordered three more of Proulx's books from ebay! 'Brokeback Mountain', 'Bad Dirt' and 'Accordian Crimes'.

I just finished Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.

Your summary piqued my interest. I've just downloaded this book onto my e-reader, I'll probably take a break from my current book (Feast for Crows, book 4 of A Song of Fire and Ice, better known as A Game of Thrones), it's one of my favourite series, but this particular book does drag a bit, so a bit of a diversion sounds like a plan right about now.

The Twelve wasn't about the state of the Pompey and Swindon teams...

It was about this ex IRA man getting instructions from twelve ghosts.

So if a ghost points their finger like a trigger at a person it means that person is history.

It dosn't necessary have to be a ghost either but a group.

When the deed is done the ghosts will stop haunting the ex IRA man.

I think his conscience is gnawing at him to make up for the atroticties he's done.

However the peace process in Ulster is in jeopardy as a consquence.

Oh and he tried to rescue the damsel in distress as per usual in these books.

Btw I'm reading some more " popcorn" fiction in the shape of Matt Hilton's Slash And Burn.

I've just started reading "The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry", an amusing but incredibly touching debut novel by Rachel Joyce, in which a man in his 60s who is just starting his retirement after working 45 years at a brewery, Harold Fry, decides to WALK the 600 miles from his home in Kingsbridge, south Devon to Berwick-upon-Tweed, Northumberland; from one end of England on the Channel coast, to the other end of England right up near the border with Scotland; and without a map, compass, walking shoes, and change of clothes. He does so to save the life of an old friend....

harold-fry.jpg

When Harold Fry, a timid man in his later years, discovers that a former friend and colleague is dying of cancer, he sets out with the intention of posting her a letter wishing her to get well, but instead he decides that a letter isn't enough and so he embarks on a 600-mile walk from Devon to her hospice in Berwick-upon-Tweed. He believes that in some way his journey will help his friend to live. Without maps or waterproofs and only yachting shoes on his feet, he walks and walks, while his wife Maureen waits at home.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun

Halfway through Paradise Lost by John Milton.

• Like 1

Worldwar: In the Balance by Harry Turtledove. World War II is happening when suddenly ALIENS.

I read that series, good one. I might pick up the 2nd series if I get the chance.

I think it takes place in the 60's.