Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What are you reading?

Naveed

I thought about watching Odd Thomas but was worried they would change too much. A friend of mine suggested his books. She and I were talking about books, she gave me a list of her favourites and suggested I should read them.  

• Like 1

I'm currently reading "We need to talk about Kevin" by Lionel Shriver

91AuFmU8jtL.jpg

• Like 3

Looks interesting, what do you think of it so far?

• 2 weeks later...

Am currently rereading (more like re-re-re-rereading) Preston and Child's old book Reliquary, the sequel to their first book Relic, which was turned into a big-budget, fun, but so-so horror movie. Reliquary itself would make a grand movie. Preston and Child are two of my favorite authors, and their main character, FBI Agent Pendergast, is one of my favorite literary characters. I have all of their books, including their independent novels, and eat them up. I'm always especially excited when a new Pendergast novel comes out, but rereading the old ones is a lot of fun. These two guys are terrific writers!

• Like 3

Re-reading Pilgrimage, The Book of the People, by Zenna Henderson for the umpteenth time. Some stories are to be savored like fine wine, again and again.

• Like 2

On 4/6/2017 at 10:53 AM, nativechick1989 said:

I'm currently reading "We need to talk about Kevin" by Lionel Shriver

I don't know about the book, but I thought the movie left much (very much) to be desired.

Just finished listening to audiobooks of several Philip K. Dick novels. They don't touch me emotionally. It's like, okay, nicely written, but, so what?

• Like 2

Just finished rereading Marion Zimmer-Bradley's The Mists of Avalon.

Next up it's back into non-fiction.  Reading two books concurrently from the Tibetan traditions.

Lama Yeshe:  The Bliss of Inner Fire (first time)

and

Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep by Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche (third time),

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

currently reading 'cicero - selected orations' by Benjamin Dooge -one i've had for a while, but am just now getting around to reading

just read 'the book of the law' by Aleister Crowley  -not sure if people are consistently using this thumbs up system but i'd give it a 6/10 with 10 being good/interesting, 1 being bad/grey slop

next to read ' the beginning was the end' by Oscar Maerth -sounds interesting, but it's expensive and i can't find a pdf of it

• Like 2

I am reading The Ring of Allaire by Susan Dexter.  I love fantasy and this is another series that I need to find the last couple of books to 

• Like 3

The Bermuda Triangle Mystery - Solved, by Lawrence David Kusche. He goes through all the major reports case by case and presents the actual facts in each vs. the legends.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

The Eighteenth Brumaire of Louis Bonaparte, by Karl Marx. :unsure: 

• Like 3

On 2017-5-15 at 7:26 AM, glorybebe said:

I am reading The Ring of Allaire by Susan Dexter.  I love fantasy and this is another series that I need to find the last couple of books to 

Have you read The Faithful and the Fallen series?

51HkWbgedaL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Like 2

The End of Materialism-Charles Tart 

• Like 3

I have lived in the monster, by Robert Ressler 

• Like 2

Just started reading Richard M. Nixon: A Life in Full by Conrad Black. I read Black's biography of FDR a couple of years ago and it was brilliant, so I'm expecting the same from this book.

• Like 2

Reading Chocky, by John Wyndham.                                       john-wyndham-chocky.jpg                        

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 3

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 4:26 AM, glorybebe said:

I love Dean Koontz.  I have read just about all his books.  One thing I don't do is watch movies made from his books anymore.  They are so far from the books, I always end up disappointed.

Fiction often doesn't translate, well, from the book to the screen. It's easier to describe events in a narrative and/or through the eyes of a character, than portray it with the same impact on the screen. Stephen King's hedge animals in The Shining is one example.

• Like 3

Reading Cleopatra by Stacy Schiff.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lioness_Heart said:
Reading "Einstein: His Life and Universe", by Walter Isaacson

Just looked this one up and it sounds interesting. Please let me know what you thought of it when you're done.

• Like 1

The Subtle Art of Not Giving a ****.

I decided I was giving way too many of those, and I didn't wanna run out. 

So far, it's pretty funny.

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 4

All right, I had to look up that book to see the "****" part. Just curious. I think most anyone could benefit from this book. I think I'll read it to me seven-year-old nephew.

:lol:

• Like 2