Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tsavo Maneaters

Quarantined

what if the building of the bridge had something to do with the lions and they tried to stop it?!?!?

Why would the lions try to stop it exactly? They just wanted easy prey and humans are easy prey. Tsavo lions are known for there aggression as a population already, nothing out of the ordinary here at all.

The larger mammals can read your mind. Some use it for protection and others use it for hunting. I prefer to believe it was both for protection (fear of man) and as well the defending of their own territory. It was NOT simply a cheap meal. Too bad really

Excuse me!? Animals can read your mind?! I wondered why my dog ran off when I thought about castrating him!

Seriously, where have you got this from? Where is the evidence to show that animals read your mind? Body language, yes. Mind, I don't think so.

I saw a documentary on the lions, and they said the lions were larger that usual. Does anyone know anything about that? when I first heard it the thought popped in my mind another species, not known.

best regards,

seax

They were just normal lions. The "bad teeth" story has, as far as I know, has never been proven. However, if it were true that one of them had such a flaw, then the other would just go along hunting whatever he did. There was also a bit of a shortage of their "normal" food at that time, which may have led them to different prey.

Their lack of manes was also, at one time, thought to indicate something odd about them, but it was just another misconception. The area is known for their maneless lions.

One of the legends surrounding the incident is that the local tribes did not appreciate the work that was going on near them, so, after several warnings to the overseers, a local shaman summoned the lions to scare off the workers and end the project. That was supposively the reason they were "so hard to catch and kill" and why they seemed so focused on eating railroad workers. Certainly that's just a myth that arose from the incident, but its still an interesting and amusing tale.

In any area where lions and humans overlap, there is certain to be incidents of "man eating". Lions are opportunistic, they'll eat what they can. Humans are not as removed from the food chain as some like to believe. And, they didn't "kill for sport" they ate what they killed.

Edited by Sweetsalem82103

Excuse me!? Animals can read your mind?! I wondered why my dog ran off when I thought about castrating him!

Seriously, where have you got this from? Where is the evidence to show that animals read your mind? Body language, yes. Mind, I don't think so.

Schnaffler, your forgetting, this is the internet. Home to people with amazing knowledge that no one else has and where the average uneducated person clearly knows more about animals than any zoologist. :D

Probably because the railroad being built went right through their hunting grounds. See, Lions are wild animals, and if you start hanging aroudn where they dwell, you'll get eaten. Same thing goes for tigers, bears, etc. Don't mess with them. True, they killed a lot of people...but that's because there were so many people to be killed.

Schnaffler, your forgetting, this is the internet. Home to people with amazing knowledge that no one else has and where the average uneducated person clearly knows more about animals than any zoologist. :D

Well then, why the hell did I study for so long if I can get it all from the internet?! I feel so stupid!

Sweetsalem and JasonKB - Good posts, thanks for talking sense.

I saw a documentary on the lions, and they said the lions were larger that usual. Does anyone know anything about that? when I first heard it the thought popped in my mind another species, not known.

best regards,

seax

Not sure if they were all that large, maybe Patterson was telling some fibbaroonies to make his "trophies" a bit more scary?

Book source

Not sure if they were all that large, maybe Patterson was telling some fibbaroonies to make his "trophies" a bit more scary?

Well, Patterson does measure them in the book at around 9 feet. That's not a monster lion, but it is certainly respectable.

this is the internet. Home to people with amazing knowledge that no one else has and where the average uneducated person clearly knows more about animals than any zoologist.

Yes Yes. This is the unexplained mystery website (not the we know everything already internet). Zoologist's don't have mind reading capabilities nor do they have the capacity to emulate an animal in other than it's rudimentary form. LARGE animals do have the capacity to sense fear as well as other higher forms of emotional energy. This is EXACTLY how they hunt AND avoid being eaten. They DO communicate in ways we don't. They live in a way in what we would call murder. Do not think for one second that just because you are deaf dumb & blind to them, that they are to you.

I am rather sick & tired to the point of exasperation with all the blathering idiots who assume that what some jefkoff teacher wrote, said, farted is some gospel truth that extends into eternity.

Wake the f up and stop assuming that we as humans know everything. We don't and neither does any zoologist, scientist, bible thumper, or whatever label have you.!!

Man has been hunting and eating animals for thousands of years (and just now have zoologists figured everything out-spare me your know it all while knowing nothing BS). Too bad that you can't get a proper zoology lesson in what it means to survive in their world. You might be more appreciative of anything which gave them any advantage in their own personal survival.

Edited by devilmaycare

this is the internet. Home to people with amazing knowledge that no one else has and where the average uneducated person clearly knows more about animals than any zoologist.

Yes Yes. This is the unexplained mystery website (not the we know everything already internet). Zoologist's don't have mind reading capabilities nor do they have the capacity to emulate an animal in other than it's rudimentary form. LARGE animals do have the capacity to sense fear as well as other higher forms of emotional energy. This is EXACTLY how they hunt AND avoid being eaten. They DO communicate in ways we don't. They live in a way in what we would call murder. Do not think for one second that just because you are deaf dumb & blind to them, that they are to you.

I am rather sick & tired to the point of exasperation with all the blathering idiots who assume that what some jefkoff teacher wrote, said, farted is some gospel truth that extends into eternity.

Wake the f up and stop assuming that we as humans know everything. We don't and neither does any zoologist, scientist, bible thumper, or whatever label have you.!!

Man has been hunting and eating animals for thousands of years (and just now have zoologists figured everything out-spare me). Too bad that you can't get a proper zoology lesson in what it means to survive in their world. You might be more appreciative of anything which gave them any advantage in their own personal survival.

It is well known that animals communicate in other ways than we do. We know body language is of great prominence in cats. Some animals can sense fear, but this is not mind reading, this is called the sense of smell (and not all large animals have this but it is advantageous to some species like dogs who are pack animals and the sense of smell is their primary form of communication and this sense is important in dominance). Fear releases hormones, these hormones smell and animals with a strong sense of smell can detect them. You are arguing what you do not understand and you clearly have no clue about scientific method an how study is conducted and you have the nerve to call some who teaches it a jerkoff. You arrogant, ignorant fool.

All you are doing is promoting stupidity and ignorance on a field you do not understand. If anyone needs to wake up it is you.

Thanks Mattshark for, yet again, talking some sense. Animals can sense fear etc. but it's not mind reading, yes they do communitcate in ways that we don't, but it's not mind reading.

Wake the f up

Too bad that you can't get a proper zoology lesson in what it means to survive in their world.

Now now, thats not very nice is it?

I don't mean you, UDS, but when, again, does school start? How many more "vampire, werewolf, I am "this" threads do we suffer through?"

I am with you on that one all the way. It has become unbearable.

It is well known that animals communicate in other ways than we do. We know body language is of great prominence in cats. Some animals can sense fear, but this is not mind reading, this is called the sense of smell (and not all large animals have this but it is advantageous to some species like dogs who are pack animals and the sense of smell is their primary form of communication and this sense is important in dominance). Fear releases hormones, these hormones smell and animals with a strong sense of smell can detect them. You are arguing what you do not understand and you clearly have no clue about scientific method an how study is conducted and you have the nerve to call some who teaches it a jerkoff. You arrogant, ignorant fool.

All you are doing is promoting stupidity and ignorance on a field you do not understand. If anyone needs to wake up it is you.

Hormone's? don't you mean pheromone's :P

Hormone's? don't you mean pheromone's :P

Pheromones are hormones :P

Pheromones are hormones :P

OH no their not and watch out their's someone behind you!! wait its not panto season yet :w00t:

A Pheromone ia a "Airborne chemical designed to trigger a response in the oposite sex of the same species and is a external process

Linky

A Hormone is a chemical produced in a cell in order to effect other cells and is a internal process

Linky

Now wasn't that educational now if you'll excuse me i have a date with SnowWhite ;)

Edited by The Maharaja

OH no their not and watch out their's someone behind you!! wait its not panto season yet :w00t:

A Hormone is a chemical thats produced by one cell to effect another cell i.e a internal process

Linky

A Pheromone is a "Airborne chemical" desighned to trigger a response in the oposite sex of the same species

Linky

Now wasn't that educational now if you'll excuse me i have a date with the widow T****y

Territorial pheromones

Laid down in the environment, territorial pheromones mark the boundaries of an organism's territory. In dogs, these hormones are present in the urine, which they deposit on landmarks serving to mark the perimeter of the claimed territory.

From your wiki link ;).

From your wiki link ;).

Ah but where not talking about Terratorial hormones im talking about Air borne pheromones if i put down that pheromones and hormones were the same thing in one of my medical exams it would be marked as wrong

So Na Na Na Na Na Na :D

Simple they ate people cause they were old. Thier teeth were bad, and humans made easy targets.

Do you have links we could read to show they were old and had bad teeth please?

Ah but where not talking about Terratorial hormones im talking about Air borne pheromones if i put down that pheromones and hormones were the same thing in one of my medical exams it would be marked as wrong

So Na Na Na Na Na Na :D

:P It is all the same thing though. Pheromones are a type of hormone and some human hormones for example from the parents affect the growth and development of their children.

:P It is all the same thing though. Pheromones are a type of hormone and some human hormones for example from the parents affect the growth and development of their children.

Well im sure that my patients are happy that i make the correct distinctions when i'm treating them other wise it would be back to the leeches :D

Well im sure that my patients are happy that i make the correct distinctions when i'm treating them other wise it would be back to the leeches :D

Leeches are making a comeback!

I know what you mean, but how often do prescribe a pheromone?

Thanks for those, I didn't know one had dental problems. Didn't notice anything about their ages though.