Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

what is schitzophrenia?

snapple

what is the definition of schitzophrenia?

i think its when people see whats not there or their brain malfunctions and they personally see things as they not are. others dont see what they do. they process stuff wrong

example the new neighbor brings them a welcome present with a gift certificate to the home depot and they think the neighbor is trying to kill them

they think their favorite celebrity wants to marry them

they halucinate and see what others dont

whats the difference between schitzophrenia and ignorance

schitzophrenics see what is not there and ignorant people dont see what is exhisting

Schizophrenia (pronounced /ˌskɪtsəˈfriːniə/), from the Greek roots schizein (σχίζειν, "to split") and phrēn, phren- (φρήν, φρεν-, "mind") is a psychiatric diagnosis that describes a mental disorder characterized by abnormalities in the perception or expression of reality. It most commonly manifests as auditory hallucinations, paranoid or bizarre delusions or disorganized speech and thinking in the context of significant social or occupational dysfunction. Onset of symptoms typically occurs in young adulthood,[1] with approximately 0.4–0.6%[2][3] of the population affected. Diagnosis is based on the patient's self-reported experiences and observed behavior. No laboratory test for schizophrenia currently exists.[4]

Studies suggest that genetics, early environment, neurobiology and psychological and social processes are important contributory factors. Current psychiatric research is focused on the role of neurobiology, but no single organic cause has been found. Due to the many possible combinations of symptoms, there is debate about whether the diagnosis represents a single disorder or a number of discrete syndromes. For this reason, Eugen Bleuler termed the disease the schizophrenias (plural) when he coined the name. Despite its etymology, schizophrenia is not synonymous with dissociative identity disorder, previously known as multiple personality disorder or split personality; in popular culture the two are often confused.

Increased dopaminergic activity in the mesolimbic pathway of the brain is consistently found in schizophrenic individuals. The mainstay of treatment is pharmacotherapy with antipsychotic medications; these primarily work by suppressing dopamine activity. Dosages of antipsychotics are generally lower than in the early decades of their use. Psychotherapy, vocational and social rehabilitation are also important. In more serious cases—where there is risk to self and others—involuntary hospitalization may be necessary, though hospital stays are less frequent and for shorter periods than they were in previous years.[5]

The disorder is primarily thought to affect cognition, but it also usually contributes to chronic problems with behavior and emotion. People diagnosed with schizophrenia are likely to be diagnosed with comorbid conditions, including major depression and anxiety disorders;[6] the lifetime prevalence of substance abuse is typically around 40%. Social problems, such as long-term unemployment, poverty and homelessness, are common and life expectancy is decreased; the average life expectancy of people with the disorder is 10 to 12 years less than those without, owing to increased physical health problems and a high suicide rate.[7]

@pril pretty much covered it, but if you wanna know anything else then just ask me - I have personal experience with it. It's a terrible thing to have, but now days they have medication that does wonders. It doesn't alleviate ALL the symptoms and behavioral issues that come with it, but it helps quite a lot. Clozapine is a really good medication for it, but it doesn't help all people, clearly. A popular drug you may have heard of that is used to treat Schizophrenina, along with other disorders, is Abilify. A few older medications found effective are: Stelazine, Loxapine, Haldol, and a few others. The older drugs, however, are more or less medications used to calm the person down, and don't much improve the quality of life, as the person is typically unable to do much or say much while on those drugs. The newer ones, as I said, are different. I have taken Clozapine since I was diagnosed, and I rarely have any problems.

Edited by IrishAidan
  • Thanks 1

what is the definition of schitzophrenia?

i think its when people see whats not there or their brain malfunctions and they personally see things as they not are. others dont see what they do. they process stuff wrong

example the new neighbor brings them a welcome present with a gift certificate to the home depot and they think the neighbor is trying to kill them

they think their favorite celebrity wants to marry them

they halucinate and see what others dont

schitzophrenics see what is not there and ignorant people dont see what is exhisting

its both spiritual conflict and chemical unbalance....why asking??

@pril pretty much covered it, but if you wanna know anything else then just ask me - I have personal experience with it. It's a terrible thing to have, but now days they have medication that does wonders. It doesn't alleviate ALL the symptoms and behavioral issues that come with it, but it helps quite a lot. Clozapine is a really good medication for it, but it doesn't help all people, clearly. A popular drug you may have heard of that is used to treat Schizophrenina, along with other disorders, is Abilify. A few older medications found effective are: Stelazine, Loxapine, Haldol, and a few others. The older drugs, however, are more or less medications used to calm the person down, and don't much improve the quality of life, as the person is typically unable to do much or say much while on those drugs. The newer ones, as I said, are different. I have taken Clozapine since I was diagnosed, and I rarely have any problems.

could you tell us how it feels and about the sympomts i really would l ike to know

pm me if you prefer.

x

could you tell us how it feels and about the sympomts i really would l ike to know

pm me if you prefer.

x

Sometimes its like trying to shove an orange in the top of a pop can. You have so many thoughts running around your brain, you can't get any of them out. You can't talk. Certain noises can set you off in a panic. You start hearing voices on occasion. Sometimes the things you think you see aren't really there, same with hearing and feeling. You think you feel something, like say a cold breeze, but it's 90 degrees out. Sometimes, at least with me, I would start touching things three times, everything, which is the typical behavior of someone who has OCD. You get really depressed sometimes. Your mind will take the truth and stretch it a mile. Like, say you are dating someone, and they are at work. Well, the time you think they are getting out roles around and they aren't home, so you automatically start flipping out thinking they are with someone else, so you drive around looking for them, pull up at their work only to realize they are just getting out. Your mind didn't process the information correctly, so you thought he or she was getting out earlier. I've done that more than once. I mean, it really is awful. I can't even describe the things it makes you do. One time I started repeating this poem I knew over and over again, for 4 hours straight. "America" by Allen Ginsberg was the poem. I mean, it's different for each person. But that's sorta what it is like. It's impossible to describe. At first I didn't know what was wrong with me and I hated doctors, so refused to go see one. So I would drink, 'cause that's the only thing that helped it, actually. I would get so drunk that I didn't feel or think anything. Then finally my mom (I was 17) dragged me to the doctor one day. I'm glad, too, because the way I was living was no way to live. Terrible.

Edited by IrishAidan
  • Thanks 1

I kind of think that Schizophrenia is a generalized generic term for someone who has delusions, hallucinations etc. Where I work, a lot of people are diagnosed quickly as Schizophrenic or Psychotic D/O NOS (Not otherwise specified). Once the Drs. spend more time with the patients, they try to narrow it down, to help decide which treatment is best. A lot of times they disagree and it's funny to hear them trying to find a diagnosis they agree on. Just to name a few there's disorganized schizophrenia, paranoid schizophrenia, catatonic schizophrenia (I've only seen this about 1/2 a dozen times) and Schizoaffective disorder.

IrishAiden, you're really lucky you found a med that works for you. I don't generally work in the psych unit, but when I do one of the main complaints I hear are about how they are still hearing voices etc. and the meds aren't working. We do still use clozapine, but not often because of the risk for decreased wbc. Zyprexa (and zydis), Ripseradal, and Abilify, seem to be the Drs. drug of choice. We used to give Seroquel and Geodon, but for some reason our Psychiatrists don't seem to prescribe them anymore.

Anyway, schizophrenia and ignorance really don't have anything to do with the other, unless you are ignorant of schizophrenia itself.

I kind of think that Schizophrenia is a generalized generic term for someone who has delusions, hallucinations etc. Where I work, a lot of people are diagnosed quickly as Schizophrenic or Psychotic D/O NOS (Not otherwise specified). Once the Drs. spend more time with the patients, they try to narrow it down, to help decide which treatment is best. A lot of times they disagree and it's funny to hear them trying to find a diagnosis they agree on. Just to name a few there's disorganized schizophrenia, paranoid schizophrenia, catatonic schizophrenia (I've only seen this about 1/2 a dozen times) and Schizoaffective disorder.

IrishAiden, you're really lucky you found a med that works for you. I don't generally work in the psych unit, but when I do one of the main complaints I hear are about how they are still hearing voices etc. and the meds aren't working. We do still use clozapine, but not often because of the risk for decreased wbc. Zyprexa (and zydis), Ripseradal, and Abilify, seem to be the Drs. drug of choice. We used to give Seroquel and Geodon, but for some reason our Psychiatrists don't seem to prescribe them anymore.

Anyway, schizophrenia and ignorance really don't have anything to do with the other, unless you are ignorant of schizophrenia itself.

Yeah, I gotta get a blood test like every few months. The only other drug they tried me on was Haldol, but I didn't want it anymore because I was a zombie.

my cousin has it. last year he cut all his fingers off on his hands, one with a knife and the other with a band saw. When we asked him why he simply replied " I don't want finger prints."

I don't quite get the point of this topic, but I'll go ahead and try to answer. I'm schizophrenic, and it's a terrible, terrible thing. I find it hard to communicate, I hear voices and see/feel/hear/smell things that aren't really there. I get the feeling that everyone is out to get me, it's so bad I have a terrible time when I go out in crowded places. It feels like everyone is watching me and is out to get me, I believe the government watches me with cameras all the time, at one point, I thought my beloved sister was going to kill me. That's about the time my mom took me to a shrink. I hate psychiatrists, I got put in the mental hospital and it was like torture. I left after a week there, and went to see many other psychiatrists after that. I'm unmedicated as of right now (don't get on me about that, I don't want to take the medicine, it makes me feel terrible and sluggish. It was Risperdal, in case you're wondering.)

When I try to have a conversation, I skip around from topic to topic because I'll hear one word and it'll remind me of something else. I also can't get out what I'm thinking because my thoughts are jumbled, and people end up misunderstanding me, which makes me feel terrible and sick to my stomach. According to people around me, sometimes I'll freeze up and stare blankly when I'm doing things like eating or talking. According to them I also ramble nonsensically to myself a lot, too. I rarely leave my house, and when I do I get scared and paranoid and everything. I find it much easier to type on a computer than to talk. I laugh and cry at the wrong times, and I can't sleep at night so I end up sleeping in until past noon during the day. I'm really forgetful, and I often get depressed and agitated about the smallest things. For instance, a few months ago, I was crying over something (can't remember what), and I realized I had torn the tissue I was wiping my eyes with, and I began crying because I had 'broken' the tissue. I felt terrible at that moment, I honestly thought I had killed it.

Also, when people criticize me or correct me on things, it makes me feel awful and sick to my stomach and I think about it for days and days, and it just haunts me when I make mistakes. People tell me that when I speak I tend to repeat words and phrases that I've said. I have zero motivation to do anything.

.. Lemme see.. I'm also a sociopath (psychopath), but that's a totally different story, and one that I don't honestly want to talk about..

That's about all I can remember for now, hope it helps with whatever it is you're trying to figure out.

(IrishAidan described quite a few of the symptoms/feelings I've had, too.)

Edited by Arcanum
  • Thanks 1

Sometimes its like trying to shove an orange in the top of a pop can. You have so many thoughts running around your brain, you can't get any of them out. You can't talk. Certain noises can set you off in a panic. You start hearing voices on occasion. . Then finally my mom (I was 17) dragged me to the doctor one day. I'm glad, too, because the way I was living was no way to live. Terrible.

thanks for replying

all best

xx sr

I just stumbled upon this topic, but it got me interested. I think we all can find some schizo-elements in our behaviour, only as long as they are not taking over we’re considered “healthy”. I have a cousin that is not diagnosed schizophrenic yet but I’m sure it’s only because the hospital in his town is full and doctors are not in the mood for another patient.

IrishAidan and Arcanum, your posts are very informative and you both write more clearly than majority of so called healthy people. You talk about your problem honestly and with calm dignity, which is rare thing these days.

It’s very scary to hear that some medications cause patient to feel terrible, so I truly hope new and better medications will be developed to help you.

CosmicStar, if you acquired such article from wikipedia, which clearly seems, please post the source link.

What you said is quite valid :

Yet it should be added that ignorance is, relatively speaking,.........deliberate. While schitzophrenics are not conscient of what their doing or what is happening, and it surely is not on purpose.

Take for example the colours of a traffic light. The ignorant does not see the red light, red, because he wishes not to, and so wishes more to create an alternative reality, while the schitzophrenic has no choice and is not conscient of what is happening.