Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Obama Quote on Judges; Scary Views

rideron

that person wasn't a radical when Obama spoke to him. why is that always left out ?

Files linking Obama to '60s radical a hot commodity

UIC library releases Annenberg records

By Jodi S. Cohen and Ray Gibson | Chicago Tribune reporters

The University of Illinois at Chicago on Tuesday released more than 1,000 files detailing the activities of an education reform group in which both Barack Obama and former 1960s radical William Ayers played key roles.

The release of the Chicago Annenberg Challenge documents turned the sterile special collections room at the university's Daley library into a media frenzy. Television crews hovered at the room's entrance. Librarians scurried to copying machines to fulfill the requests of a roomful of reporters. Two security officers stood guard.

On a typical day, one or two scholars may conduct research there. The library director laughed when asked whether it has had security before.

A partial examination of the documents did not reveal anything startling about the link between Obama, the Democratic presidential contender, and Ayers, a founder of the Weather Underground, a Vietnam-era anti-war group that claimed responsibility for several bombings. Ayers, who spent years in hiding, is now a UIC education professor.

The interest in the documents comes as supporters of Republican presidential candidate John McCain have questioned Obama's ties to Ayers. The Obama campaign this week countered by airing television commercials suggesting that McCain is stuck in the '60s.

The UIC records show that Obama and Ayers attended board meetings, retreats and at least one news conference together as the education program got under way. The two continued to attend meetings together during the 1995-2001 operation of the program, records show.

At a Democratic debate this year when the association between Obama and Ayers was raised, Obama said: "This is a guy who lives in my neighborhood. . . . He's not somebody who I exchange ideas from on a regular basis." Obama called Ayers' past radical acts detestable.

But critics note that Obama visited Ayers' home for a meeting at the start of his first state Senate bid in the mid-'90s.

The UIC records showed that Ayers was instrumental in securing the $50 million education grant to reform Chicago Public Schools, part of a national initiative funded by the late Ambassador Walter Annenberg. . After Chicago was awarded the money, Obama served as president of the Challenge's board of directors, the fiscal arm that disbursed the grants to schools and raised private matching funds. Ayers participated in a second entity known as the Chicago School Reform Collaborative, the operational arm that worked with the grant recipients.

More of the article here: Link

-----------------------------------------------------

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dixie-Girl

• BlindMessiah

• Neognosis

• BlueZone

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Obama may be able to rationally explain away his contacts with Ayers; but why hasn't he gotten out in front of this?

The UIC records showed that Ayers was instrumental in securing the $50 million education grant to reform Chicago Public Schools, part of a national initiative funded by the late Ambassador Walter Annenberg. . After Chicago was awarded the money, Obama served as president of the Challenge's board of directors, the fiscal arm that disbursed the grants to schools and raised private matching funds. Ayers participated in a second entity known as the Chicago School Reform Collaborative, the operational arm that worked with the grant recipients.

Wait, so let me see if I understand....This Ayers guy was a 1960's radical that bombed a cop shop, but didn't kill anyone. He's now a professor at U of Ill. He secured a boatload of money to reform the public schools in chicago, and Obama, a senator from chicago, met and worked with him to match the funding and distribute it to the public schools of chicago.

GASP! HORRIBLE! Distributing money to public schools....Proof, once again, that Obama loves terrorists and hates america.

- Snip - If you don't like Obama's policies, then intelligently say so. If you don't like McCain's policies, then intelligently say so. This bull borderline libelous nonsense on both side is only denegrating the process and making people dumber.

Edited by Saru
Removed unsuitable comment

That 60's radical is a violent terrorist who tried to kill people and regrets that he didn't do more damage. Why is Barack Obama friends with this man?

Barack isn't friends with that man. This a load of silly Republican b.s. trumped up to convince people that Obama is part of a terrorist conspiracy. Next you'll be saying Barack blew up the World Trade Center. There's just no end to the ridiculous crap that comes out of the mouths of people who are driven by paranoia instead of curiosity about the facts.

Dixie, you remind me of a quote I read about Phyllis Schlafly once: " Phyllis Schlafly speaks for all women who don't believe in equal rights for themselves". Why are you so passionate in supporting a political platform that treats women, children and our educational system so poorly? Are you one of those people who think that all your kids need to know they can find in the Bible? Or maybe you are totally satisfied with the family healthcare system as it is? I mean, what's going on here....?

I see you're from Louisiana... were you so impressed by the way Bush handled hurricane Katrina that you want things to stay exactly the same? It looks like you might get hit by Gustave as a cat. 3 hurricane in another few days. Given the fact that the rescue stuff from Katrina is still lying around in Louisiana totally unused by Katrina victims maybe things will be better this time. The Republicans will refer to it as advanced planning.

Edited by BlueZone

Wait, so let me see if I understand....This Ayers guy was a 1960's radical that bombed a cop shop, but didn't kill anyone. He's now a professor at U of Ill. He secured a boatload of money to reform the public schools in chicago, and Obama, a senator from chicago, met and worked with him to match the funding and distribute it to the public schools of chicago.

GASP! HORRIBLE! Distributing money to public schools....Proof, once again, that Obama loves terrorists and hates america.

Some of you need to take your heads out of your asses. If you don't like Obama's policies, then intelligently say so. If you don't like McCain's policies, then intelligently say so. This bull borderline libelous nonsense on both side is only denegrating the process and making people dumber.

Wow, you're getting pretty abusive to those of us who disagree with you. Why? We're not doing that?

How can you so easily gloss over the fact that Ayers bombed a police station (cop shop you say?) and our Pentagon and STILL wishes he had done more? He also never served any jail time for his crimes. I'm sorry, in my book, that's a terrorist. I don't care where he teaches or how much money he's raised.

Again, I'm not going to tell you to get your head out of your *** because you disagree with me. I'm not like that.

So any association suddenly equals friendship and support of all doings?

You're putting words in my mouth. I'm saying that FOR ME, Barak's associations tell me alot about who he is. I just can't vote for someone who would be friends with a man like Ayers and sit in the pew for 20 years listening to a man like Rev. Wright.

Dixie: Good luck with Hurricane Gustave. As a Louisiana resident you must be very confident knowing you have the Bush people on your side.

Edited by BlueZone

Dixie: Good luck with Hurricane Gustave. As a Louisiana resident you must be very confident knowing you have the Bush people on your side.

Skip to the bottom for the real story that one. And thanks for your concern sweetie ;) .

Barack isn't friends with that man. This a load of silly Republican b.s. trumped up to convince people that Obama is part of a terrorist conspiracy. Next you'll be saying Barack blew up the World Trade Center. There's just no end to the ridiculous crap that comes out of the mouths of people who are driven by paranoia instead of curiosity about the facts.

You might be right about it being trumped up by the other side if Obama denied it. I also never said he's part of a terrorist conspiracy. I said that he associates with a known and unapolagetic terrorist. No, I will not be saying Barack blew up the World Trade Center. I'm not paranoid at all. Why are you guys so rude and hostile to people who disagree with you?

Dixie, you remind me of a quote I read about Phyllis Schlafly once: " Phyllis Schlafly speaks for all women who don't believe in equal rights for themselves". Why are you so passionate in supporting a political platform that treats women, children and our educational system so poorly? Are you one of those people who think that all your kids need to know they can find in the Bible? Or maybe you are totally satisfied with the family healthcare system as it is? I mean, what's going on here....?

What in the world are you talking about? You sure are making alot of assumptions about me. You think because I'm conservative that I don't believe in equal rights for women? That is the funniest thing I've heard yet. You claim I support a political platform that treats women, children and our educational system poorly? Looks like McCain is picking a woman for his Vice Presidential running mate today....I am anti-abortion and have a 3 year old son. I do charity work and absolutely love children....our education system is crippled by liberal teachers unions that attempt to brainwash our children into a leftist way of thinking. You could be more wrong on all counts...and those are just a few rebuttals to your arguement.

I see you're from Louisiana... were you so impressed by the way Bush handled hurricane Katrina that you want things to stay exactly the same? It looks like you might get hit by Gustave as a cat. 3 hurricane in another few days. Given the fact that the rescue stuff from Katrina is still lying around in Louisiana totally unused by Katrina victims maybe things will be better this time. The Republicans will refer to it as advanced planning.

Here you're really showing your ignorance. One of the biggest lies that the left spews is that President Bush is responsible for what happened after Katrina. OUR GOVERNOR AT THE TIME WAS A DEMOCRAT, THE MAYOR OF NEW ORLEANS WAS A DEMOCRAT AND THEY ARE TO BLAME FOR WHAT HAPPENED HERE. Sure the Federal Government didn't do everything right but this was an unprescidented disaster and many lessons have been learned. The people of Louisiana kicked the dems out and elected Republican Bobby Jindal as Governor and he has already proven to be far greater in so many ways. This state is ready, our leaders are ready, the people are ready. You don't know anything about what happened or what's happening here. Especially if you get your news from PMSNBC or other liberal networks. It's funny, New Orleans reelected their Democratic Mayor (remember the one who said that New Orleans needed to be a chocolate city again?) because so many people there didn't want to give up living off of the government. They like their welfare state in that city.

I"ve got to say, if Baltimore had a major disaster and the government was totally apathetic in dealing with it and left corpses rotting on the street I wouldn't be eager to vote for a continuation of that in the next election. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Wow, you're getting pretty abusive to those of us who disagree with you. Why? We're not doing that?

I'm not abusive when people intelligently disagree with me. I am and will continue to be abusive when people willfully distribute venemous half truths that denigrate the democratic process and our nation as a whole. I have no respect, tolerance, or patience for that kind of bull, nor for the calculated and willfull lying on the part of lowlifes like yourself.

How can you so easily gloss over the fact that Ayers bombed a police station (cop shop you say?) and our Pentagon and STILL wishes he had done more? He also never served any jail time for his crimes. I'm sorry, in my book, that's a terrorist. I don't care where he teaches or how much money he's raised.

The issue is not what we think about Ayers. The issue, and why I detest you and people like you who spew half truth slander, is that you keep advancing the false idea that Obama is a personal friend and confidant of this guy. A little research reveals that Obama worked with him to raise and distribute money for public schools in chicago.

He worked with him to raise and distribute money for public school systems in chicago.

One more time.

He worked with him to raise and distribute money for public school systems in chicago.

If Obama had refused to work with him, you and your repugnant kind would be saying that obama hates school children because he ignored a chance to raise money to help the chicago school system.

If you don't like obama's policies, that's one thing. Especially if you can intelligently and accurately explain why you don't like his policies. And that's respectable.

But you, Dixie, are a detestable liar with an agenda to slander and skew non-issues to increase unfounded fear and paranoia. And there is nothing respectable or deserving of civility in that.

If you don't like obama's policies, that's one thing. Especially if you can intelligently and accurately explain why you don't like his policies. And that's respectable.

But you, Dixie, are a detestable liar with an agenda to slander and skew non-issues to increase unfounded fear and paranoia. And there is nothing respectable or deserving of civility in that.

Well if your canadate's done nothing but harm to the people around you and you still want to support him, it's time for a little mud slinging....

Edited by BlueZone

I'm not abusive when people intelligently disagree with me. I am and will continue to be abusive when people willfully distribute venemous half truths that denigrate the democratic process and our nation as a whole. I have no respect, tolerance, or patience for that kind of bull, nor for the calculated and willfull lying on the part of lowlifes like yourself.

Nice try hon. Nothing I've said is a half truth. I only post what I know to be fact, or my opinion based on what I know to be fact until someone proves otherwise. You have not done that.

When you say you have no respect, tolerance or patience and you call me a lowlife...you're just proving my point. Why so hateful? You need to come down and go to Mardi Gras with me babe. A nice Hurricane (that's a drink by the way) will take the edge off.

The issue is not what we think about Ayers. The issue, and why I detest you and people like you who spew half truth slander, is that you keep advancing the false idea that Obama is a personal friend and confidant of this guy. A little research reveals that Obama worked with him to raise and distribute money for public schools in chicago.

One more time.

If Obama had refused to work with him, you and your repugnant kind would be saying that obama hates school children because he ignored a chance to raise money to help the chicago school system.

This is getting funnier and funnier. Why are you playing into this so easily? You starting to sound like some of those crazed protesters at the DNC this past week. What happends is, the long we engage, the harder it is for you to hide the hate.

No hate here, just facts and opinions different from yours.

You could be more wrong about me. I've got liberal friends and we are able to share a laugh while we share our views. No big thang.

Oh, and you're wrong about Obama and Ayers. Obama kicked off his political carreer in Ayers' living room. Much more than raising and distributing money for public school systems in chicago. Obama does not deny this, and he won't.

Look, unlike you, I am able to step back and look at this without getting my panties into a wad. I think Barack is probably a nice guy, hell, I'd like to sit down and have a beer with him. He is just to inexperienced and has too many questionable associations to be the leader of this country...in my humble opinion.

Oh, and the detestable liar comment...that's good! Creative.

Dixie-Girl- Is there anything a Republican candidate could do to your family or community that would make you not vote for him/her?

But you, Dixie, are a detestable liar with an agenda to slander and skew non-issues to increase unfounded fear and paranoia.

Pompously bloviate much?

. Nothing I've said is a half truth.

all you've posted are half truths.

Let's clear this up right now then. Do you think Obama is a personal friend or confidant of Ayers?

Again, I hate you and your kind not because you have a different political view, but because of the damage you do to our political system and the paranoia and ignorance you spread.

Again, I would like to know what policies of Obama's you disagree with. Not half truths and nonsensical slander. If you don't like his energy policy, say why. If don't like his foreign policy, say why. Something tells me that you don't know what any of his policies are, based on the fact that everything you've posted has been borderlind libelous slanted half truths seemingly designed to increase paranoia and unfounded suspicion. And I have no respect for that.

Obama kicked off his political carreer in Ayers' living room.

There you go again. What does that mean? Obama met with Ayers years ago. He met with a lot of people. So did McCain. You are hell bent on implying that there was some sort of pro-terrorist sympathysizing and plotting going on. And that is detestable.

all you've posted are half truths.

We're never gonna agree on that one.

Let's clear this up right now then. Do you think Obama is a personal friend or confidant of Ayers?

Sounds like he's both. Again, Obama hasn't denied that.

Again, I hate you and your kind not because you have a different political view, but because of the damage you do to our political system and the paranoia and ignorance you spread.

I don't hate you :D . I could say the same thing about "your kind" but I know that if I wanted a country with only one side I would move to Cuba or Russia. Sorry to tell you, as long as this is a free country there will be more than one point of view, political stance and yes *GASP* religious group. I know that breaks your heart, but you'll get used to it.

Again, I would like to know what policies of Obama's you disagree with. Not half truths and nonsensical slander. If you don't like his energy policy, say why. If don't like his foreign policy, say why. Something tells me that you don't know what any of his policies are, based on the fact that everything you've posted has been borderlind libelous slanted half truths seemingly designed to increase paranoia and unfounded suspicion. And I have no respect for that.

Ok, LORD maybe we should start a whole new thread debating Obama's policies because that's a whole other can of works. I pretty much disagree with all of his ideas and policies (not the ones he lies about in his beautiful speaches, the ones that we know of from his record). I'm at work adding to the social security checks of future illegal aliens right now so I really don't have time to go into it all. Maybe I'll start a post on this topic later. It would be fun, right?

There you go again. What does that mean? Obama met with Ayers years ago. He met with a lot of people. So did McCain. You are hell bent on implying that there was some sort of pro-terrorist sympathysizing and plotting going on. And that is detestable.

Let's try this again, from another angle and maybe you'll get it. If John McCain had the past associations that Obama has (not going to list them AGAIN) I would not be voting for him. I will not vote for a man for President of this nation who befriends terrorists and racists. I really don't know how else to explain it to you. That's pretty clear.

Listen to Obama when he talks openly and not with prepared speeches in which I agree he is good, there you will see what he really believes in. Is he going to make decisions based on his prepared speeches or what he really believes in?

so Obama worked with someone who at one time when Obama didn't know him was a radical.

it's not like signing anti american declarations or broadcasting such on radio waves like McCain did. or lying to vets about their care.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qRy4PnmNu8

Hey Ripley, welcome. Um, Obama knew everything about Ayers. Nice try though.

I would like to see how you would perform under the intense pressure of torture at the Hanoi Hilton.

Lying to vets about their care...hmm...let me go ask my husband, a disabled vet, about that one and I'll get back to you. ;)

I don't hate you . I could say the same thing about "your kind" but I know that if I wanted a country with only one side I would move to Cuba or Russia. Sorry to tell you, as long as this is a free country there will be more than one point of view, political stance and yes *GASP* religious group. I know that breaks your heart, but you'll get used to it.

I'm not sure why you are pretending to not understand. although I have a good idea why. It seems you misinterpret and slander anyone you don't agree with.

But for anyone else watching, I'll restate why I hate you.

It's not because you disagree with me politically. It is because instead of intelligent and informed debate, you spread libelous half truths which denigrate our entire political process. People like you are a cancer to this country. NOT because of your political beliefs, but because of the lies and innacuracies you knowingly spread that ******* intelligent political discussion.

it's not like signing anti american declarations or broadcasting such on radio waves like McCain did. or lying to vets about their care.

Jimmy Carter, is that you?

Listen to Obama when he talks openly and not with prepared speeches in which I agree he is good, there you will see what he really believes in. Is he going to make decisions based on his prepared speeches or what he really believes in?

Good question.

Jimmy Carter, is that you?

LOL!!

repeat:

DIXIE- THEY LEFT YOUR NEIGHBORS ROTTING IN THE ****ING STREETS. Is Bush's friend who used to run the horse farm still in charge of FEMA?