Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

When a stranger's at your door late at night

NosmoKing

The last time I had someone banging on my door they were Jehovah's witnesses. They took off pretty quickly when I told them I was having a virgin sacrificed and the girl I was with popped up over my shoulder and told them she was the virgin! Lol

P.S. She wasn't!

The last time I had someone banging on my door they were Jehovah's witnesses. They took off pretty quickly when I told them I was having a virgin sacrificed and the girl I was with popped up over my shoulder and told them she was the virgin! Lol

P.S. She wasn't!

Source?

• Like 1

Everyone was asleep except for me,I stayed up until 2:am,someone knocked the door,I got a stool and stood on it to see through the peephole. *blush*(I was too tiny to see into it otherwise!) and it was a guy who had a black eye,bloody lip and busted up nose blood pouring everywhere.

I screamed and fell of the stool and hurt my back,as his face was maximized and distorted through the peephole,I looked again to see it was my dad who got into a fight at the pub,still drunk.

I hurt my ankle when I fell of the stool :(

When I was in high school, I was living on my own in my uncle's house. He and his wife had moved out of town but occasionally come back to town. One night, I had stayed up really late, nearly 3am and finally decided to go to bed. But I was still watching tv so I slept in the living room. Then a while later, I heard someone banging on my door. I didn't move, I didn't get up to see who it was. They knocked again then left. When I heard the person go down the porch stairs, I crawled to the window to see who it was. It was a man and he got into a grey car. I didn't recognize the person or the car but he was kind of far away. I pretty much stayed up all night.

I called my dad the next day to tell him about it. I asked if it was uncle Kevin, looking for a place to crash for the night. He said he didn't think so. It never happened again and no one ever mentioned to the family about coming over in the middle of the night looking for a crash pad or for my uncle. I was quite freaked out about it for a while but it never happened again and got over it.

Another time, I used to live with a cousin. She lived in a less than desirable part of town and my bedroom window faced the parking lot of a hotel/bar, pretty seedy. I was just going to bed, around 11pm, when I heard some commotion outside. I just laid there, waiting for the taxi or the drunks to get home. No...they decided to start yelling at each other and shout "I'm going to kill you" over and over again. I was wide awake now. Eventually they left. I then moved away from that house to go to my uncle's.

Edited by Melly

There are lots of urban legends where there are creepy happenings at someone's house late at night. Has anyone ever had someone/something weird come to your door or ring you late at night or peer through your windows that really freaked you out?

For me, three things happened once:

1) One time someone knocked at my door around 10pm. When I opened the door, there was an older man in swimming trunks standing there. He looked disheveled and asked me to help him because "he couldn't remember who he was." It kind of freaked me out so I told him he could ask next door for help (my neighbours were a couple a guys), or he could go down the road to the police station for help. A few days later I saw a missing poster at the local supermarket for a guy who had alzheimer's and the picture looked like the guy who had knocked on my door. I felt really bad for not helping him out more, but I was a female living alone at the time and couldn't afford to risk asking a strange man inside. Still, I wish I had helped him.

2) Another time I was living with my parents in a two story house. I was alone that night and around 11pm there was a knock at the door. Since it was so late, I went out onto the upstairs balcony that over looked the front door to see if it was someone I knew. It was two strange teenage males. I asked what they wanted. They said they were Jehovah's Witnesses who wanted to talk with me, could I open the front door. I thought Jehovah's Witnesses at 11pm, WTF?, so I said no thanks and went inside. But they didn't go away. Through the windows I could see them walking around the house and looking through windows. Creepy. Luckily my parents came home about 10 minutes later and the two guys took off. I don't even want to think about what would have happened if my parents hadn't come home.

3) Another time when I lived alone in a small town, in a older house that had been converted into small appartments that was next to a park, I was awoken for several nights by a guy who would scream and yell. The screaming would go on for at least 20 minutes, sometimes stuff about hating a certain person, sometimes unintelligable yelling. I don't think this guy was in my yard, but he was still pretty close. This went on for about two weeks. I always kept my windows locked after that, and it was lucky my lease was up and I moved out soon after that.

What weird expereinces have happened to you guys? Either supernatural or just normal (but weird) people?

One night I was here, at my friend's house for the week end, and he always goes out of state for the week end, so, I was alone. There was a knock at the front door at about 1:30 in the morning. Dummy me, answered the door to a younger male who asked if my friend was home. He told me his name was "Joe". Dummy me, again, told him that my friend wasn't home. The dude sat outside in a white mini-van for sometime after I had closed the door, and then he left. When my friend came home, I told him about "Joe", the time he came calling, his stay in his white mini-van and how he just suddenly left. My friend commenced to telling me that he didn't know any "Joe". I'll never answer that door again at that hour! Especially when my friend isn't here.

I woke up one night at about 1 am because i could hear sirens.

I looked outside and there was a bunch of police cars blocking off the street.

It turns out my neighbors were running a drug house.

Oh and for weeks i could hear this wailing outside me house. It kinda sounded like a mix between a baby crying and someone screaming. It turns out it was a stray cat. It got the hose :P

• Like 1

my scariest experience was when the house alarm suddenly went off for no reason it seemed... the cops came and everything, because no one could figure out what had set it off. normally it's error, like opening a door or clinking something that sounds even remotely like breaking glass (our alarm system is waaay too sensitive. seriously i could shake my dog's collar and it would go off.) i was lying in my bed watching the cops flashlighting around on the front porch. i was younger then, probably thirteen...? it was scary for a little idiot kid.

oh but i have a secondhand experience. my friend lives down the street from me, and i took my puppy over to play with him and his friend that was over. we were sitting in the driveway chatting and he starts telling me about this woman who ran around the street screaming, naked. pounding on doors. not a pretty sight, to quote him "and she was fat". turns out her hubby/boyfriend was in a gang or something...? the cops swarmed the place after a while and were talking to him and his grandmother a lot.

Edited by Katya

Dude the most ****ed up thing happened Okay so im reading this all peaceful and this was a little while ago so i was reading this and i get to the end and i hear this loud banging outside which sounding like banging on the window downstairs so i was ****ing freaked so i lied down in the bed and was like **** that so i went to sleep

• 1 month later...

My brother caught a Peeping-Tom on me once. It was pretty late at night and he walked outside for some reason, forgot why but he looked to the right and saw an unknown person hunched over and looking through my window. He asked the guy what he wanted, and he stood up and said "OH! Sorry, wrong house!" And the guy walked off into the neighborhood

My brother came in and told me what happened, and I realized that I had just came out of the shower the whole time this was going on. I was freaked out but more p***ed off more than ever. Damn Pervert.

Any how, thats my story.

Edited by Mey

We’ve had a couple of weird experiences, but the one that REALLY freaked me out (like, I had nightmares over it for a couple years) was when my husband and I moved into our first apartment together. It was a basement apartment (with its own entrance, kind of like a mother-in-law suite on a house) and we had the block glass windows on the very top of our walls (the low windows that sit above the grass line on a house, if that makes sense).

I was home alone and sitting on the couch and I heard a hard tapping on the windows, like a knocking. So I looked up and didn’t see anything at first, until I got closer and there was SOMEONE LOOKING IN AT ME! It was a really young looking guy (like maybe 16-19?) and he had his face PRESSED up against the window. So I go up the stairs to our door and no one’s there, but I can hear him downstairs still knocking on the window. I opened up my front door and yelled out that I had called the police and then the tapping stopped. I went back downstairs and called my husband to come home. He ended up coming home a couple of hours later on his lunch break (he worked midnights then) and there was a note on the front door that said “Wanted to see your new baby. JP”

We don’t know anyone named JP, we didn’t have a baby then, and I have NO idea what that was about to this day. I have a gut feeling someone was trying to break in the house, but I don’t know why the note was left??? I know it doesn’t sound very scary, but the face pressed up against the glass like that gave me nightmares. He just looked so distorted and “not right” (for lack of a better term).

I think it sounds very scarey. I know what it feels like to have someone just standing there, all you can see is a silouette late at night. It's terrifying.

I hope the OP called the cops in each of the three incidences.

I once had some really irate woman pounding at my door around midnight screaming something about "My baby daddy," "No good crack-sucker," and "He got your eyes, N*****" over and over again.

*Crying Laughing* ...Sounds like a someone was watching the Maury show really loud!

Oh my God! It happened again to me last night! Late!

Someone ran up on the front porch of this same house where I'm staying. I was here, on the computer, ON THIS VERY SITE, and the window in this room is right above the front door and the front porch. I yelled out, "Can I help you?" and received no answer- OF COURSE! But! Whomever it was just stood there. Quietly. On the front porch at the front door. For like as long as it took for me to raise to my feet in here, leave this room, go down the hall, stop at the top of the staircase and wonder long enough if I "should" go downstairs! I had the telephone with me and I called the police. I started running down the stairs and to the front door. I flung the porch light on, and before I could get the blinds to the side light open, I heard the dude run away. While on the phone with the police dispatcher, the guy came back and stood there on the front lawn looking into the house's front window. He could see me standing there on the phone! I told the woman on the telephone this, and then the guy ran away again.

It took the police like FOREVER to get here! And when they did, I swear! The cop sat in his car, and then strolled up the sidewalk to the front door as if nothing at all was happening. Of course he didn't see the guy who I heard at the front door or saw on the front lawn. The guy wasn't going to stick around afterall!

I just want to know who keeps doing this.

LoveLikeWinter - your account seriously scared the hell out of me! I'm impressed you managed to move to shout about the police, I would seriously be frozen on the spot with fear, either that or I'd just have a heart attack right then and there :P

Augh, those are creepy stories, except the one about the baby daddy, haha, that was funny.

The only thing that ever happened to me was in the middle of winter. I'm home alone at night in the house with the kids, and I usually sit in the front room of the house until I fall asleep, then go back to bed. So I'm sitting there, watching TV and someone starts knocking on the door. So I get up and go look. There's a guy standing there, and man, he is CRACKED out. I have one of those doors with the little window, and I shook my head and yelled I wasn't opening the door.

So, anyway, the guy doesn't even feign niceness or anything, this guy is mad, and he keeps knocking on the screen door and telling me to open the door, he lives there and all this other stuff, like trying to make it look like I just locked him out of his own house. I went to the back of the house to get the phone (it's just a long hallway to the backroom). So I get the phone off the charger and go back to the front of the house and guy is at the back door of the house, banging on the glass door! I about peed myself.

So yeah, Corvis called 911. Chicken poop that I am. Anyway, I'm standing now in the hallway of the house, and I can see him walk back to the front of the house, and he starts going at the front door again. I don't remember what all I said to this lady on the phone, but it was something along the lines of I better see a squad car in front of my house soon, or this guys coming through the door.

So the cop gets there, the guy's now at the back door again, and I throw the door open and scream at the cop that he was at the back door, and the cop goes flying back there.

What did he find?

Nothing!

The guy was GONE!

I was a mess, and let me tell you, I am not an easily shakeable person. And I told the cop this, and he walked back there again. What he did find were big foot prints (my husband and I are hobbit-sized) in the snow, going from the front door to the back door, and all through the back yard.

Ugh, it was the worst night ever. I slept on the couch so I could be near the kids rooms for like months after that.

Dude the most ****ed up thing happened Okay so im reading this all peaceful and this was a little while ago so i was reading this and i get to the end and i hear this loud banging outside which sounding like banging on the window downstairs so i was ****ing freaked so i lied down in the bed and was like **** that so i went to sleep

GOOD STORY.

• Like 1

Wow these stories are pretty creepy haha. I'm glad nothing weird happened to me... Yet...

When my family moved to our "new" house, my sister and I was young, but not too young... approaching that age when your parents are finally trusting you stay home by yourselves for like 15 minuets.

Well, our house is an old OPP station. So on a few occasions, we would have people strolling in off the highway and just come into our ****ing house! Our town population is like 300 people, so it's not like you feel you have to lock the door. But one time me and my sister were watching television, and we turned around and this guy was just standing there in our house, looking at us. Then he turned and darted away. That was the scariest time. Other times people would come in and my dad would calming set them straight, and they'd leave.

LoveLikeWinter - your account seriously scared the hell out of me! I'm impressed you managed to move to shout about the police, I would seriously be frozen on the spot with fear, either that or I'd just have a heart attack right then and there :P

Yeah, I still don't know why I even opened my door and yelled it. What if he had been outside my door??? lol I was just so angry because he had scared me so badly...

There are lots of urban legends where there are creepy happenings at someone's house late at night. Has anyone ever had someone/something weird come to your door or ring you late at night or peer through your windows that really freaked you out?

For me, three things happened once:

1) One time someone knocked at my door around 10pm. When I opened the door, there was an older man in swimming trunks standing there. He looked disheveled and asked me to help him because "he couldn't remember who he was." It kind of freaked me out so I told him he could ask next door for help (my neighbours were a couple a guys), or he could go down the road to the police station for help. A few days later I saw a missing poster at the local supermarket for a guy who had alzheimer's and the picture looked like the guy who had knocked on my door. I felt really bad for not helping him out more, but I was a female living alone at the time and couldn't afford to risk asking a strange man inside. Still, I wish I had helped him.

2) Another time I was living with my parents in a two story house. I was alone that night and around 11pm there was a knock at the door. Since it was so late, I went out onto the upstairs balcony that over looked the front door to see if it was someone I knew. It was two strange teenage males. I asked what they wanted. They said they were Jehovah's Witnesses who wanted to talk with me, could I open the front door. I thought Jehovah's Witnesses at 11pm, WTF?, so I said no thanks and went inside. But they didn't go away. Through the windows I could see them walking around the house and looking through windows. Creepy. Luckily my parents came home about 10 minutes later and the two guys took off. I don't even want to think about what would have happened if my parents hadn't come home.

3) Another time when I lived alone in a small town, in a older house that had been converted into small appartments that was next to a park, I was awoken for several nights by a guy who would scream and yell. The screaming would go on for at least 20 minutes, sometimes stuff about hating a certain person, sometimes unintelligable yelling. I don't think this guy was in my yard, but he was still pretty close. This went on for about two weeks. I always kept my windows locked after that, and it was lucky my lease was up and I moved out soon after that.

What weird expereinces have happened to you guys? Either supernatural or just normal (but weird) people?

You've experienced much.

I also have experienced something like your last one and a mixs of the second one. It was my first year at high school (no clues of the name in english) and it was a late winter night in dark time period. Everyone had gone to sleep so it was quiet. But... around midnight some dudes 4 guys came to the school grounds and started yelling and was rather loud. They walked to all the houses asking about some dude that lived at the grounds. They got inside one of the houses right beside my house but was chased out from there. They started talking to the girl that had room next to my room. Then, sudenly out of nowere they destroyd her window.

Luckily someone had called the police so they was soon arested for drinking and public disorder. Though it was later that night. There was only girls in my house and she was rather disturbed after that. I was kinda shaken to, because they could just as easily have broken my window that night. :(

When i was living in wales with my GF, we lived in a flat above a kebab shop (stupid i know) at the end of the high street. Of course you get hoards of drunks at a kebab shop late at night. So we were watching tv and i hear this crash, so i ran downstairs to see that a guy had fallen through the front door! I picked him up and launched the ****er out! Not very creepy but the crash scared the hell out of me!

Sorry for the big post, but this thread drew me in too much to resist sharing. Great site.

I'm a night owl and an energy freak - lights don't go on unless I need to read or something. So I walk around my house in the complete dark all the time - all light comes from my monitor. Also, keeping it dark inside the house makes it more difficult for people to see inside - an asset for someone who likes to walk around in her underwear and ratty T-shirts.

Well, one night around 1AM, I had just gotten myself a snack from the kitchen and was walking back to my computer. Just as I passed the front door this HORRENDOUS banging starts and goes on for what felt like forever. It was literally shaking the door so much that you could see it move. It sounded like the door was being kicked or the person was throwing his whole body against it.

After a moment of complete shock (in which I dropped my cheese), I start screaming bloody murder - frozen in place, scared to death, screaming nonsensically at the top of my lungs in a dark house, alone.

The banging eventually stopped, and a moment later I got myself under control enough to stop screaming, and actually run to the peek hole to see who it was. I couldn't see anyone. Now that was really really scary because either the person had walked around to the side of the house or he was crouched down at the base of the door where I couldn't see him - the yard is huge so I would have had a chance to see him if he had actually taken off.

I stood at the door listening for ANYTHING. I was so tense it was painful. Every little sound made my heart stop - I fully expected to hear a window shattering or something. I finally heard a scuffing sound right out the door and figured the person HAD crouched down and was still there. I went from terrified to p***ed as holy hell in a heartbeat and started my own pounding and kicking on the door accompanied by more screaming (angry this time, with a few cuss words thrown in). The guy took off running down to the street.

I hope I gave him a bloody heart attack. Then I called the cops. Which was pointless, but it made me feel better. The cop was really nice, and understanding even though there wasn't much he could do except to drive around the area a few times.

There were foot prints on the front of the door where the rubber from his sole had scuffed off onto the paint. Still have no idea who it was or what he wanted. I didn't sleep well for several weeks after that.

I think it scared me so much because we had an attempted break in earlier (middle of the day though), where they pounded on the door super heavy (nothing like this guy, though). When we didn't answer it, I guess they figured out we weren't at home, and came around the back and tried to get in through our sliding glass door. I screamed then too, for my husband to call the cops.

Another time, I chased a guy out of my garage with a sword. It wasn't particularly scary to me at the time, but it was a strange occurrence in the middle of the night.

I had foolishly forgotten to close our garage door and around 3 AM, I heard sounds coming from it. I remembered the door being open, and guessed that someone decided to see if there was anything worth stealing. In hindsight, I'm pretty sure it was a neighbor from down the street - he'd stolen our garden hose and some potted plants from us previously, and a few things from our neighbors, too.

Anyway, it p***ed me off that someone was going through our stuff, so I grabbed a decorative fantasy sword and barged out into the garage, snapped the lights on and yelled like a banshee. It was a big heavy set guy (I swear it was our neighbor, same body type, though I didn't get a good look at his face), who was already running off at the sound of the door opening.

I chased him all the way down our driveway, and up the road to the community mailbox, swinging an unsharpened sword, trying my best to cave his head in, before I finally came to my senses and gave up.

(And now my neighbors call me Xena, because my yelling woke up my next door neighbor who caught the tail end of me trudging back to my house carrying a sword. Embarrassing just isn't a strong enough word.)

• Like 1

When I still lived in the family home (I guess I was about 18 or 19) I had a scary/funny experience. They had all gone on a trip to visit my uncle in another state, and I was holding down the fort alone. The house is fairly large and has loads of windows, some of them almost floor to ceiling. Great during the day, not so great at night. It's on a somewhat large piece of land, so no neighbors right next door either.

One night I was watching TV on the family room couch. Lights were off. The way I was laying I could see out of one of the giant windows without moving my head. Out of the corner of my eye I saw someone creep by the window, heading for the door that went from the laundry room to the backyard. Now normally I would have been scared sh*tless, but I had spent the better part of the evening in an arguement with my boyfriend, so I was in a horrible mood. I slowly got up off the couch, went to the closet where all of our sporting equipment was kept, and grabbed a baseball bat. I went and got the cordless phone and stuck it in my pocket. There was a sliding glass door leading to the backyard in my mother's room which was hidden from view if you were standing in front of the laundry room door. I crept out the door and slowly walked over to the laundry room. I see some guy messing with the doorknob trying to get in (keep in mind as you are reading this that I am no longer young and stupid). When I was about 10 feet from the laundry room door, I yelled at the top of my lungs "hey m***** ******!" The guy jumped half out of his skin and turned to run away. In the process of running off, he tripped over some bags of compost, and cracked his head on a brick retaining wall. He was knocked out cold. I immediately called 911 and the cops showed up right away. This dummy was still on the ground bleeding when the police got there. All of them thought I had beat him with the baseball bat, but I (sadly) told them that I didn't get the chance. Good thing for potential intruder. I was angry enough to have knocked his head right off of his shoulders!

• Like 2

Ok so I was in Richmond near S.F. at my cousins aunts and uncles house and my cousin her friend and I were watching The Grudge and the doorbell rang. well it was like 1am so none of us wanted to get it so I looked out the window to see who it was :unsure2: .....the house had an upstairs living room and the window overlooked the front door....anyways, I looked out the window and no one was there plus the sensor light didnt come on....We were like ooookaaaay.....went back to watching the movie and not even 5 minutes later the bell rang again...we all ran to the window and the light was on but no one was there....so we went back to watch the movie...yup...rang again...no light this time so we stayed in the window to see who was doing it and the bell rang and there wasent anyone at the door....I didnt sleep that whole night....too freaked out and I will NEVER watch that stupid movie again. :no:

I have a doorbell that does that, but it was an electric doorbell that goes off at certain frequencies so if you had one of those, that could explain that. It has gone off at odd times but it hasnt for a while, once while I was home alone during the day it went off about 6 times, first time, no one there, second time, righto, no one there until I just gave up after the last bunch.

Edited by Orcseeker

Hi there everyone. Some of these experiences are pretty similar to mine, but i hope you don't mind me telling anyway :)

I live in England, on the edge of town (http://www.bridgwater.net/ if your intrested) and when you come through my front door the stairs are right in front of you, and there is a street light right outside my house. And one night about 1am i'm laying in bed watching television and nature called i get up and walked across the hall past the stairs and i notice someone at the door, what makes it more freaky for me is that because of the light outside all i could see was an outline of black, there was no knocking or anything, and i watched for about five minutes and the shadow seemed to just walk away. This freaked me out big time.

Oh and i never opened or asked who was there, i was only 18 at the time and my parents were on holiday and i had to stay behind for college work.

Edit: I didn't HAVE to stay behind, i wanted to.

Edited by Iggster