Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sen. McCain picks Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin for

__Kratos__

McCain picks Alaska Gov. Palin as running mate

(CNN) -- Sen. John McCain has picked Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate, a senior McCain campaign official told CNN on Friday.

Palin, 44, who's in her first term as governor, is a pioneering figure in Alaska, the first woman and the youngest person to hold the state's top political job.

She catapulted to the post with a strong reputation as a political outsider, forged during her stint in local politics. She was mayor and a council member of the small town of Wasila and was chairman of the state Oil and Gas Conservation Commission, which regulates Alaska's oil and gas resources, in 2003 and 2004.

The conservative Palin defeated two so-called political insiders to win the governor's job -- incumbent Gov. Frank Murkowski in the GOP primary and former two-term Democratic Gov. Tony Knowles in the 2006 general election.

Palin made her name in part by backing tough ethical standards for politicians. During the first legislative session after her election, her administration passed a state ethics law overhaul.

Palin's term has not been without controversy. A legislative investigation is looking into allegations that Palin fired Alaska's public safety commissioner because he refused to fire the governor's former brother-in-law, a state trooper.

Palin acknowledged that a member of her staff made a call to a trooper in which the staffer suggested he was speaking for the governor.

Palin has admitted that the call could be interpreted as pressure to fire state trooper Mike Wooten, who was locked in a child-custody battle with Palin's sister.

"I am truly disappointed and disturbed to learn that a member of this administration contacted the Department of Public Safety regarding Trooper Wooten," Palin said. "At no time did I authorize any member of my staff to do so."

Palin suspended the staffer who made the call.

Palin has focused on energy and natural resources policy during her short stint in office, and she is known for her support of drilling in the Alaska National Wildlife Refuge, a position opposed by McCain but supported by many grass-roots Republicans.

More of the article here: Link

-------------------------------------

Hmm... Interesting choice for sure.

Edited by __Kratos__

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MasterPo

• Incorrigible1

• SQLserver

• Dixie-Girl

Watch all the idiots who were only going to vote for hillary because she's a woman flock to mccain.

Watch all the idiots who were only going to vote for hillary because she's a woman flock to mccain.

That'll help out a lot since the dems went with two men.

Palin is strongly pro-life and belongs to Feminists for Life

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Palin

I don't know much about her... This is helping her case though...

She hunts, eats moose hamburger, ice fishes, rides snowmobiles, and owns a float plane.[10][11] Palin holds a lifetime membership with the National Rifle Association. She admits that she used marijuana when it was legal in Alaska, but says that she did not like it.[12]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Palin

You surely do throw the insults about. Are you happy in life?

Yikes!

Isn't there a prophecy that says that a woman will be President during the next world war (by Nostradamus or Cayce)? Everybody that knows the "prophecy" assumed it was Hillary, but what if McCain wins and croaks for some reason while in Office, she automatically becomes the Prez :w00t:

It's been a pattern really with most Republican Nominees when it comes to VP, seems like popularity is not the agenda. Bush Sr. /Dan Quayle, Bob Dole/Jack Kemp, Bush W/Cheney and now Palin.

She hunts, eats moose hamburger, ice fishes, rides snowmobiles, and owns a float plane.[10][11] Palin holds a lifetime membership with the National Rifle Association. She admits that she used marijuana when it was legal in Alaska, but says that she did not like it.[12]

Who cares? What are her policies? I don't care if she has a full sleeve of rock and roll tattoos and -snip-. I want to know what her policies are.

Only stupid people vote for people based on how they look or sound or what their hobbies are. But then again, so very many of my countrymen are stupid, lazy, apathetic sheep. ( not necessarily YOU, Kratos. At least you seem to want to know about her policies.)

You surely do throw the insults about. Are you happy in life?

Because I called people who supported Hillary that will now vote McCain because his VP is a woman "idiots?"

Let me be absolutely clear...if you were going to vote for hillary, who's platform is very similar to Obama's, and now you are going to vote for McCain, who's platform is very dissimalar to Obama's, simply because you want to vote for a woman...you are an idiot wholely undeserving of the right to vote at all. One of the necessary evils of our system is that we can't require people vote according to political belief...we have to let morons who vote based on hair style, dress, hobbies, singing voice, and now gender, into the voting booth. Then we sit around scratching our heads and wonder why we elect equally selfish and stupid people into high office.

McCain picks Alaska Gov. Palin as running mate

She catapulted to the post with a strong reputation as a political outsider, forged during her stint in local politics. She was mayor and a council member of the small town of Wasila and was chairman of the state Oil and Gas Conservation Commission, which regulates Alaska's oil and gas resources, in 2003 and 2004.

Aother big oil person... what a shock.

To be a feminist you'd pretty much have to be pro choice.

She's not vp material at all.

She's smoking hot for a republican.

To be a feminist you'd pretty much have to be pro choice.

She's not vp material at all.

A big oil pro-lifer. More of the same.

She's smoking hot for a republican.

Oh no, McCain's got the drunken frat boy vote sewn up! She's a hot MILE (Mother I'd Like to Elect)!

What a flippin' mockery of our democratic process when the GOP stoops to stunt casting the VP.

Aother big oil person... what a shock.

So, any one that was ever involved in the energy industry, even on a regulatory basis, is "big oil" to you?

Obama has accepted more than $213,000 from individuals who work for companies in the oil and gas industry and their spouses.

Two of Obama's bundlers are top executives at oil companies and are listed on his Web site as raising between $50,000 and $100,000 for the presidential hopeful.

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/ob..._oil_spill.html

:tu:

NEWS FLASH! THEY ALL LIE AND TAKE MONEY FROM ANYONE!

Any bets on how long it takes for drunken-college/wet-t-shirt pics to pop up?

What a flippin' mockery of our democratic process when the GOP stoops to stunt casting the VP.

She has more experience than the freshman senator from Illinois.

I think it's a smart move (whether you like McCain or not).

Any bets on how long it takes for drunken-college/wet-t-shirt pics to pop up?

LOL!

I think it's a smart move (whether you like McCain or not).

What's smart about it, in any but the most cynical, pandering sense?

Smart move for McCain.

Seriously though, I HATE this woman.

Lets take a look.

Wants to ruin one of our most beautiful national parks? Check.

Wants more oil, oil, and oil? Check

Claims that it wouldn't be bad if "alternatives to evolution" were taught in school? Check.

Anti-abortion rights? Check.

Anti-gay Liberties? Check.

Disaster disaster disaster.

What's smart about it, in any but the most cynical, pandering sense?

Just sayin', he wants to be elected, and I think this choice might help him. Maybe cynical and pandering, but smart.

Smart move for McCain.

Lets take a look.

Claims that it wouldn't be bad if "alternatives to evolution" were taught in school? Check.

Sounds like a conservative republican to me. Nothing shocking in that list. I do wish she would support gay rights, but nobody's perfect.

Edited by Dixie-Girl

Smart move for McCain.

Lets take a look.

I'm just seeing this now on the net... This is going to be bad. A hard bible thumper with less experience then Obama has.

All I'm thinking now is South Park... It's between a giant douche and a turd sandwich.

Sounds like a conservative republican to me. Nothing shocking in that list. I do wish she would support gay rights, but nobody's perfect.

IT was a good choice for McCain to win the race.

It was a VERY, VERY BAD choice for America.