Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Palin on TV

pendora

Being mayor of a small town and a little state (population wise) where you have hardly any opposition from the other side is not, at least in my mind, the type of experience one needs when you're involved in a national campaign; a very heated one at that. This is all new to her. The public life may not be, but the seriousness of it is. Also, again, she had hardly any opposition in the positions she's held before. Give her some time and she might improve. But she's done a good job with Alaska, so clearly she isn't stupid.

Edited by IrishAidan

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AROCES

• Fluffybunny

• IrishAidan07

• BlindMessiah

Uh.. from what I've been seeing.. she has not done a good job with Alaska. But hey.. whatever you think is good job man..

Uh.. from what I've been seeing.. she has not done a good job with Alaska. But hey.. whatever you think is good job man..

And is that why she is incredibly popular in Alaska - 'cause she's done a bad job?

Edited by IrishAidan

And a president enacts policies and decides to send troops to war while on T.V.? Who kneewww.

Secondly, huge difference between talking to a few leaders from other nations and then looking into a camera knowing that millions are watching you, just waiting for you to make a mistake.

Again, give her a break.

Well...she gets flustered and stammered with a simple question she had prepared for(for weeks) from her:

linked-image

Not exactly an imposing figure. How is it going to work out when this guy is angry and lives are at stake:

linked-image

When it comes to politics and dealing with people that are enemies you cant exactly just cut people slack; it could end with lost lives and war. She stammers and loses words it has bad implications for everyone.

As for me, if I was on TV I am sure I would make a mistake too, but I am not running for office. The weight of the world is not on my shoulders, nor do I want it to be. If I were I would make sure I spoke well and was prepared. So far in every interview she has shown herself as not being ready. Not even close. She has had to puff up her resume so much that when she is called out on it, she cant come up with a reasonable answer to questions because there really arent any... In reality living next to Canada and Russia doesnt give her any foreign experience, it was a point the Campaign tried to bring up, but it falls flat when you investigate it, and that is what happened. Same thing happens with her other puffed up credentials and questionable past dealings that she avoids talking about...

And is that why she is incredibly popular in Alaska - 'cause she's done a bad job?

Wouldn't say she was populare there either.

*shrugs* Sorry, she has done jack crap to impress me. Biden either before you go down that track. However Palin has turned me off even more so. I don't agree with her policies. I don't agree with her as a choice for VP, and I don't agree with how she's sheilded from the media like they're afraid she'll show that she's not ready. Which she isn't.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=w...mp;aq=f&oq=

There are many in Alaska who are not at all happy with her politics.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/elec...lin-rally_N.htm

Keep in mind the perspective. "hundreds" of protestors in alaska represent a larger percentage because of the smaller population.

Many many are speaking up against her.

I admit she has made some mistakes. But if you wanna criticize her, find a better reason.

Her "mistake" is accepting a position she ought to know she shouldn't be in. She's an ideological extremist who clearly knows just about nothing of policy at the national level. That's an extremely dangerous combination. In the TV age, there are a lot of superficialities we're forced to deal with that perhaps we shouldn't. But demanding a candidate be able to formulate a coherent and mature idea when asked a question is not one of them. That's a must and if someone can't do it, that's a deal-breaker. This woman is fast becoming a national embarrassment.

Well...she gets flustered and stammered with a simple question she had prepared for(for weeks) from her:

linked-image

Not exactly an imposing figure. How is it going to work out when this guy is angry and lives are at stake:

linked-image

When it comes to politics and dealing with people that are enemies you cant exactly just cut people slack; it could end with lost lives and war. She stammers and loses words it has bad implications for everyone.

As for me, if I was on TV I am sure I would make a mistake too, but I am not running for office. The weight of the world is not on my shoulders, nor do I want it to be. If I were I would make sure I spoke well and was prepared. So far in every interview she has shown herself as not being ready. Not even close. She has had to puff up her resume so much that when she is called out on it, she cant come up with a reasonable answer to questions because there really arent any... In reality living next to Canada and Russia doesnt give her any foreign experience, it was a point the Campaign tried to bring up, but it falls flat when you investigate it, and that is what happened. Same thing happens with her other puffed up credentials and questionable past dealings that she avoids talking about...

Do you have any evidence that she has stammered and lost words while handling State business?

Again, talking to one or two world leaders is a helluva lot different than knowing millions of people are watching you. Secondly, she knows this isn't her election - this is John McCain's. His last chance at the Oval Office.

Also, I'm not saying her comments are intelligent and well-thought out. I'm simply saying that she is going to make a few mistakes. Give her a damn break. Being good on T.V., and I'll say it again, has no bearing whatsoever on how you will perform as VP or P. The fact she has been inarticulate is just another thing the hard-left can criticize her for. Obama has ties to terrorists, does he not? I mean, who would you rather have in the Oval Office? Someone who makes a few mistakes with a camera in her face, or someone who has ties to someone like Ayers?

Personally, I think the whole Ayers thing is ridiculous - just another reason for the Right to pick on Obama. I think both sides need to grow the hell up.

Her "mistake" is accepting a position she ought to know she shouldn't be in. She's an ideological extremist who clearly knows just about nothing of policy at the national level. That's an extremely dangerous combination. In the TV age, there are a lot of superficialities we're forced to deal with that perhaps we shouldn't. But demanding a candidate be able to formulate a coherent and mature idea when asked a question is not one of them. That's a must and if someone can't do it, that's a deal-breaker. This woman is fast becoming a national embarrassment.

And how much national policy has any governor known when they've decided to run for President or Vice President? They accused Clinton of being inexperienced, too, if you recall.

This whole idea that in this day an age a President must be good on T.V. is silly. If we get some folks coming out and saying that Palin made a lot of gaffes when in policy meetings as governor, then I'll reconsider my position.

And how much national policy has any governor known when they've decided to run for President or Vice President? They accused Clinton of being inexperienced, too, if you recall.

The difference is that Bill Clinton isn't some random guy, he's a certifiable genius who also happens to be a policy wonk. He knew what he was talking about and didn't need to be shielded from the press lest somehow ask him a question. The fact that Palin has to be sequestered like this is, frankly, pathetic and should set off warning bells in your head. The problem clearly isn't superficial: she's obviously incredibly media savvy and knows how to both work a crowd and individuals. People push this "she draws 60,000 people at her rallies!" one minute then try to say she's shy? Give me a break. She's a train wreck and not because she doesn't know to "look good on TV." I'm pretty sure that's her main qualification.

The difference is that Bill Clinton isn't some random guy, he's a certifiable genius who also happens to be a policy wonk. He knew what he was talking about and didn't need to be shielded from the press lest somehow ask him a question. The fact that Palin has to be sequestered like this is, frankly, pathetic and should set off warning bells in your head. The problem clearly isn't superficial: she's obviously incredibly media savvy and knows how to both work a crowd and individuals. People push this "she draws 60,000 people at her rallies!" one minute then try to say she's shy? Give me a break. She's a train wreck and not because she doesn't know to "look good on TV." I'm pretty sure that's her main qualification.

Of course, it must be different when it is a Democrat. Also, I fail to see how she is being shielded from the press. She has done about 3 or 4 interviews and has only been running since what? Late August? Secondly, her drawing big crowds has nothing to do with my argument. I've not mentioned that at all. I just know that when you know a million people are listening for you to make a mistake when a reporter, who BTW are always looking to make a name for themselves, is asking you questions, you might be a little nervous too. Also, talking to a group of people knowing what you are going to say and having time to plan it out, knowing no questions will be asked, is a lot different than being fired upon by a reporter with millions looking on.

Your last comment was sexist, you realize. Are you saying McCain picked her and people like her strictly because she is beautiful? Real liberal comment, bud.

Of course, it must be different when it is a Democrat. Also, I fail to see how she is being shielded from the press. She has done about 3 or 4 interviews and has only been running since what? Late August? Secondly, her drawing big crowds has nothing to do with my argument. I've not mentioned that at all. I just know that when you know a million people are listening for you to make a mistake when a reporter, who BTW are always looking to make a name for themselves, is asking you questions, you might be a little nervous too. Also, talking to a group of people knowing what you are going to say and having time to plan it out, knowing no questions will be asked, is a lot different than being fired upon by a reporter with millions looking on.

Your last comment was sexist, you realize. Are you saying McCain picked her and people like her strictly because she is beautiful? Real liberal comment, bud.

You know how many interviews and questions and answer sessions with reporters that Biden has done in about the same time? 89...not 8 or 9...89. He didnt get named that much sooner than she did. They have just kept her in a media blackout.

You know how many interviews and questions and answer sessions with reporters that Biden has done in about the same time? 89...not 8 or 9...89. He didnt get named that much sooner than she did. They have just kept her in a media blackout.

Biden was on T.V. all the time when he was just a senator - it's nothing new to him.

When the debate happens, her and Biden, see how she does. Until then, don't criticize her for absolutely nothing. And indeed, criticizing her because she made a few gaffes when talking to reporters amounts to nothing.

Helen Keller couldn't talk, but she was pretty damn smart.

Helen Keller couldn't talk, but she was pretty damn smart.

What an inane comment.

Are you comparing a true warrior to Palin?? Be real.

Helen Keller was without sight and hearing and speech.

Palin attended four colleges in six years and can't string a coherent answer together on the most minor of national and international questions.

You're way off the mark even discussing the Barbie doll and Helen Keller in the same breath.

Also, I fail to see how she is being shielded from the press.

You've got to be kidding.

People like her because she's unexceptional yet personable (though her negatives are above her positives in the polling now so I should probably say "some people"). But yes, she was chosen because she's an attractive woman. It was a political ploy. The sexism is on the part of McCain's handlers.

What an inane comment.

Are you comparing a true warrior to Palin?? Be real.

Helen Keller was without sight and hearing and speech.

Palin attended four colleges in six years and can't string a coherent answer together on the most minor of national and international questions.

You're way off the mark even discussing the Barbie doll and Helen Keller in the same breath.

It was a pun. The fact you couldn't discern that is perhaps more scary than Palin's gaffes.

Talk about inane.

Edited by IrishAidan

Biden was on T.V. all the time when he was just a senator - it's nothing new to him.

When the debate happens, her and Biden, see how she does. Until then, don't criticize her for absolutely nothing. And indeed, criticizing her because she made a few gaffes when talking to reporters amounts to nothing.

I would love to see the VP debate, but mccain wants to put it off...that in itself is telling dont you think.

I have my guesses to why, as I have seen Biden debate, and that is one thing he can do pretty well, and she is green and likely to end up worse off then she has in the interviews she has done...

I am not saying she is stupid. just horribly under qualified. I am not saying that a woman couldnt do the job either. Hell, hillary would walk all over her in debates, and I dont even like her, but she knows her stuff.

It was a pun. The fact you couldn't discern that is perhaps more scarier than Palin's gaffes.

Talk about inane.

There was no pun in your comment.

Just stupidity

You've got to be kidding.

Just because Biden has done more doesn't mean Palin has been shielded. Secondly, the media outlets haven't been exactly fair to McCain and Palin. You should be lucky, given the partisanship, that she agreed to do any interviews at all.

But yes, she was chosen because she's an attractive woman. It was a political ploy. The sexism is on the part of McCain's handlers.

Subjectivity.

And I think people like her because she has a folksy way about her that you don't see in politicians much.

There was no pun in your comment.

Just stupidity

No, it was a pun. And the only stupidity here is not recognizing that.

Certainly I don't think all the media outlets are unfair. But I think MSNBC is terribly unfair. How many of the 89 interviews has Biden done on CNN and MSNBC? CNN is fair, somewhat, but I do think they throw Democrats softballs. Depends on the reporter.

Edited by IrishAidan

She's like a Perseid meteor shower of dumb..

I can't wait for the VP candidate debate...Her and Biden together? On the same stage? :lol: Could there be such a thing as a 'gaffe overload'? We'll find out...

/ever heard of 'meeting of the minds'? Well, this ain't gonna be it...

I think people should bite their tongue until the VP debate. If McCain cancels it, then I think these comments about her media gaffes meaning she's dumb could hold some water. Until then, I think giving her the benefit of the doubt is the best idea. She may be, like I said, simply nervous. By the VP debate, she will have improved - I would think.

Edited by IrishAidan

I think Glen Greenwald hits the nail on the head:

But Sarah Palin's performance in the tiny vignettes of unscripted dialogue in which we've been allowed to see her has been nothing short of frightening -- really, as I said, pity-inducing. And I say that as someone who has thought from the start that the criticisms of her abilities -- as opposed to her ideology -- were much too extreme. One of two things is absolutely clear at this point: she is either (a) completely ignorant about the most basic political issues -- a vacant, ill-informed, incurious know-nothing, or (b ) aggressively concealing her actual beliefs about these matters because she's petrified of deviating from the simple-minded campaign talking points she's been fed and/or because her actual beliefs are so politically unpalatable, even when taking into account the right-wing extremism that is permitted, even rewarded, in our mainstream. I'm not really sure which is worse, but it doesn't really matter, because with 40 days left before the election, both options are heinous.

What seems most likely is that she's perfectly conversant in the exceedingly narrow and parochial range of issues she's concerned herself with as Wasilla Mayor and Alaska Governor -- oil drilling on the North Slope, specific local budget items, corruption issues inside the Alaskan State GOP, and evangelical and religious matters. She really doesn't seem to have any thoughts about anything outside of that -- or if she does, she is suppressing them -- and is thus capable of spouting little more than empty right-wing slogans. That's what makes all the issues raised by the excellent on-scene reporting by Salon's David Talbot more significant than it otherwise might be -- she could be a religious fanatic with an extremist agenda, or a power-crazed, vendetta-fueled, secrecy-obsessed Cheney-ite, or something else altogether. She may not even know what she is, and we're clearly not going to find out.

I've also thought for the last several weeks that people like Andrew Sullivan were being unduly critical of the McCain campaign's Palin media strategy. That strategy didn't strike me as particularly unusual or alarming. It's common for campaigns to be selective about their chosen interviewers, and it didn't strike me as significant -- or bothersome -- that they wanted to give Palin some time to acclimate to the national scene and prepare herself before submitting to standard press questions. I was wrong about that, too.

Between that bizarre episode at the U.N. yesterday where they basically physically blocked her from answering even innocuous questions to their desire to "postpone" the Vice Presidential debate, it's now conclusively, disturbingly clear that the McCain campaign really does intend essentially to shield her from any and all media scrutiny until the election. I no longer think this is careful media strategizing by the McCain campaign but instead is motivated by what Greg Sargent said last night:

The lengths the McCain campaign is going to in order to shield Sarah Palin from questioning are reaching truly comic dimensions . . . What's really sobering is that the McCain campaign continues to block Palin from answering questions even though it's now resulting in reams and reams of bad press for the McCain-Palin ticket. That suggests McCain advisers know that letting her answer even the most elementary questions in an uncontrolled environment is so dangerous that it's worth weathering the current media drubbing they're taking in order to prevent it from happening at all costs.

Vice Presidents matter much more than they did before. So much unfettered power is now vested in the Executive that it's inevitable that the Vice President will wield significant authority. McCain evinces little interest in domestic policy, and the fact that he will be beholden to her and her Dobson-ite base if she wins makes it highly likely that she will exert substantial influence over numerous important areas. All of that, combined with McCain's age -- and what really do appear to be legitimate and growing questions about his health (those are mere suspicions, but appropriate ones that should be answered by McCain) -- makes Sarah Palin's candidacy a very real hazard, something that, by the day, I'm convinced is as important as any other issue in the campaign.

Edited by Startraveler