Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Obama campaign urging people to watch debate

Caesar

"OXFORD, MS.--I just got this text message on my cell phone--the Obama campaign is urging people to watch the first presidential debate tonight on CNN. Why did the Obama campaign want to endorse one outlet when so many are showing the debate here at the University of Mississippi?

"Watch Barack Obama debate John McCain tonight at 9 p.m. Eastern on CNN," the message said. Also, remind friends to register to vote at VoteforChange.com. Please forward this message."

Source

OK if CNN isn't in the tank for Obama then I guess I could say Rush Limbaugh is main stream. CNN's coverage of the debates was a joke, they claimed that experience didn't matter in thier poll results, but for Palin it was another story. another thing that was odd was when Obama kept saying John was right, they claimed it helped Obama. even the Boston Herald said McCain did better. Chris Matthews thought Obama was unhappy on how he did

Matthews Mad Obama Agreed So Much With McCain

I'm not trying to start another thread on the debate but rather talk about how the media is reporting it. what ever happened to just reporting the news and not telling the viewers what they should think?

Caesar,

Can I just ask if this rant is simply because you are annoyed your party didn't think to take advantage of media exposure so cleverly?

I had a brief look at the VoteforChange.com site and, apart from it being paid for by a pro-Obama group I couldn't find anything trying to influence people's votes on there. It simply seemed to be a data collection site to me - perhaps to help Obama target areas that might be close in the polls. Admittedly I couldn't enter any details as I am not a US citizen, but can someone tell me if it is trying to garner Obama votes or collect data?

In summary, I can't see how what CNN did was pro-Obama? Care to explain???

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Caesar

• SilverCougar

• danielost

• Leonardo

You haven't even offered ANY evidence that CNN supports Obama over McCain!

Your crazy Conspiracy theories aside, Polls show what people tend to think in general. They can be a little off, but unfortunately, the polls indicate that Americans have a liberal bias, not CNN.

Honestly, I have no idea where the heck you are trying to go with this, either. Because a CNN poll indicates that "Experience doesn't matter" to Americans, that means it is all a conspiracy and CNN is in with Obama and that Obama is trying to brainwash people by telling them to watch the debate?

When there is empirical proof that Fox News is subliminally suggesting John McCain?

-SQLserver

This statement sounds familier what was it, Oh, right Character doesn't matter. Now who said that.

Now now, Caesar. CNN is just about as fair and balanced as Fox News. What's good for the goose :innocent:...

CNN was used by default for what I would assume to be two reasons; CNN has been around for a long while and respectable. Or what is probably the case, his camp figured that a more liberal leaning news station would shine a heavenly light on him more than the other stations.

Honestly I see no reason why any should pick one station over the other to watch. The only difference is commentary at the end by the pundits. If you're watching a political debate on one channel just to hear what is said afterward, then you need you rethink why you're watching it in the first place.

I did think it helped Obama that he agreed on some of the things McCain said. I think the tally was a total of 8 times. A bit much; but most of it was just tiny little things rather than policy.

If CNN is so respectable. How come Fox has all of the watchers in the country.

We overseas tend to watch CNN for news and FOX for the Simpsons (and Family Guy, Futurama, King of the Hill etc).

Maybe this says something about why Fox is more popular in the US?

We overseas tend to watch CNN for news and FOX for the Simpsons (and Family Guy, Futurama, King of the Hill etc).

Dito !

Fox is for pure entertainment value only. Kinda like wrestling is sports entertainment ;)

House.

Last time I checked Fox News didn't carry the Simpsons.

[Maybe they have to carry it over seas so you can understand the news better.(only joking)]

Dito !

Fox is for pure entertainment value only. Kinda like wrestling is sports entertainment ;)

really Fox isn't the one that had the slow news day and decided to tell us how to get Pandas in the mood for sex. That was CNN.

The Ratings Mirage

Just found this. Admittedly, it's from 2004 so figures may have changed, but it's still educational on what 'ratings' really are.

The Ratings Mirage

Just found this. Admittedly, it's from 2004 so figures may have changed, but it's still educational on what 'ratings' really are.

which means that if I turn on CNN for six minutes and then go and watch fox for 30 minutes and flip back for six minutes that CNN just had two viewers while Fox had one. The same person of course.

Pretty graphics, dramatic music to breaking news every five minutes. It keeps our attention ;).

which means that if I turn on CNN for six minutes and then go and watch fox for 30 minutes and flip back for six minutes that CNN just had two viewers while Fox had one. The same person of course.

See, analysing tv viewing isn't quite so clean and easy as you would make it out to be. You sit down in front of the tv for 30 mins while Fox News is on. How much of it are you actually 'watching'? You flick on CNN for 6 minutes to catch a news item you know will be on regularly as a short broadcast. You watch that 6 minute broadcast intently because it's something you specifically turned the tv on to watch.

Of course, it's not always like that - but often it is. Long-term viewers don't tend to be 'switched on' to what they are watching for the entire period the tv is on. Still, those ads are playing - beaming their little messages straight into your subconscious mind, and far more effectively when you are 'switched off' as the ads then act almost subliminally.

No its not Rush tells you he is a conservitive and CNN tells you they are unbiased

You do know you are comparing a conservative entertainment show versus and entire news organization? It's like using Jerry Springer as your news source. Even the Daily Show or Stephen Colbert has more news. If your window to the world is that gasbag then you are missing out on most of what goes on in the world. It would explain a lot of your posts.

You do know you are comparing a conservative entertainment show versus and entire news organization? It's like using Jerry Springer as your news source. Even the Daily Show or Stephen Colbert has more news. If your window to the world is that gasbag then you are missing out on most of what goes on in the world. It would explain a lot of your posts.

I thought you would have the common sense to get what I was talking about but I guess I was wrong. I'm talking about the elections and political coverage. the stuff the mainstream media doesn't cover.

I thought you would have the common sense to get what I was talking about but I guess I was wrong. I'm talking about the elections and political coverage. the stuff the mainstream media doesn't cover.

Okkaaay. I read a number of what you would call "liberal" blogs for the same purpose. But you and I have to realize that these outlets (including rush) are heavily slanted and must also go to the MSM for election and political "coverage" as well. Otherwise we are only getting a slanted part of the picture.

Okkaaay. I read a number of what you would call "liberal" blogs for the same purpose. But you and I have to realize that these outlets (including rush) are heavily slanted and must also go to the MSM for election and political "coverage" as well. Otherwise we are only getting a slanted part of the picture.

Rush is not the media, he is a republican, he says so. you don't hear this from CNN

Rush is not the media, he is a republican, he says so. you don't hear this from CNN

Of course not so they can report the news honestly.

Of course not so they can report the news honestly.

Yeah its the part that the mainstream doesn't cover about 13.5 million listeners

who cares about ratings ??? here is what is more important.

Fox news viewers were found very uninformed compared to those who watched MSNBC , CNN ,..... ect... who came up the most informed ? those who watched the Daily Show with John Stewart !

2 different studies but here is the link for one.

April 15, 2007

Public Knowledge of Current Affairs Little Changed by News and Information Revolutions

What Americans Know: 1989-2007

SURVEY: Daily Show/Colbert Viewers Most Knowledgable, Fox News Viewers Rank Lowest»

A new study by the Pew Research Study shows that viewers of the Daily Show and the Colbert Report have the highest knowledge of national and international affairs, while Fox News viewers rank nearly dead last:

Despite significant technology shifts, however, Pew found that “today’s citizens are about as able to name their leaders, and are about as aware of major news events, as was the public nearly 20 years ago.”

The results about Fox News echo findings of previous surveys. In 2003, University of Maryland researchers studied the public’s belief in three false claims — that Iraq possessed WMD, that Iraq was involved in 9/11, and that there was international support for the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq.

The researchers stated, “The extent of Americans’ misperceptions vary significantly depending on their source of news. Those who receive most of their news from Fox News are more likely than average to have misperceptions.” Fox News viewers were “three times more likely than the next nearest network to hold all three misperceptions.”

http://thinkprogress.org/2007/04/16/daily-...-fox-knowledge/

who cares about ratings ??? here is what is more important.

Fox news viewers were found very uninformed compared to those who watched MSNBC , CNN ,..... ect... who came up the most informed ? those who watched the Daily Show with John Stewart !

2 different studies but here is the link for one.

April 15, 2007

Public Knowledge of Current Affairs Little Changed by News and Information Revolutions

What Americans Know: 1989-2007

SURVEY: Daily Show/Colbert Viewers Most Knowledgable, Fox News Viewers Rank Lowest»

A new study by the Pew Research Study shows that viewers of the Daily Show and the Colbert Report have the highest knowledge of national and international affairs, while Fox News viewers rank nearly dead last:

Despite significant technology shifts, however, Pew found that “today’s citizens are about as able to name their leaders, and are about as aware of major news events, as was the public nearly 20 years ago.”

The results about Fox News echo findings of previous surveys. In 2003, University of Maryland researchers studied the public’s belief in three false claims — that Iraq possessed WMD, that Iraq was involved in 9/11, and that there was international support for the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq.

The researchers stated, “The extent of Americans’ misperceptions vary significantly depending on their source of news. Those who receive most of their news from Fox News are more likely than average to have misperceptions.” Fox News viewers were “three times more likely than the next nearest network to hold all three misperceptions.”

http://thinkprogress.org/2007/04/16/daily-...-fox-knowledge/

LOL this is funny thanks for posting it. pure nonsense

Have you recently seen the **** they have on FOX?

I havn't, that stuff aint on basic cable anymore..

Yeah its the part that the mainstream doesn't cover about 13.5 million listeners

Of course not. They care about the other 280 million listeners in the US and others world wide. msm don't program for minorities.

Of course not. They care about the other 280 million listeners in the US and others world wide. msm don't program for minorities.

lol this is talk radio