Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

what are all religions BASED ON

longlongago

they say there is a large grey area between psychiatry and religion

and no religion has ever been based on man's carnal needs

all religions are based on ABSTINENCE rather than INDULGENCE

all religions therefore have to be based on FEAR

according to psychology , the so called carnal desires are the very NATURE of man

and man is bound to be motivated by them

does that mean religion in a way tends to move a man away from his very nature ..

Edited by harmonious

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oldvariant42

• longlongago

• Ziggy Stardust

• John from Lowell

One's exsistance probably does survive in a "natural selection" including psychic abilities and religion. The stronger survive. Those exercising religion must survive longer in their psyche, longer than others.

Man has two natures, one from where we came from and one from where we're going. If a person can overcome their "natural" urges, that only means the power of their mind is stronger than the power of their body. We're moving away from the base animalistic and slowly becoming the truly conscious creatures we were meant to be.

does that mean religion in a way tends to move a man away from his very nature ..

Yes it does as I see it. Balance and integration is the goal. Some call this love. Religions generally embrace an aspect of love, which is a good start, but not a complete picture.

We are spiritual beings have a physical experiences through our conscious perceptions. Can we appreciate the physical and integrate the spiritual at the same time? Can we become balanced?

John

Most definitely, or at least attempts to. I recall a line of scripture from the Bible about abstinence. Can't remember it word for word, but it said something about how only when man is free from the desires of his fleshly confines can he accept god. Something like that.

Most definitely, or at least attempts to. I recall a line of scripture from the Bible about abstinence. Can't remember it word for word, but it said something about how only when man is free from the desires of his fleshly confines can he accept god. Something like that.

but you havn't stated whether you are in favour of this .. or opposed to this idea expressed in the bible

It definitely comes down to what you mean by "based". If you mean why does mankind respond readily to religion, that's one thing, if you mean what is the motive for the invention and execution of religious doctrine and practice in society, that's totally another.

Edited by electrafixtion

Well, i would disagree...

Islam, is the mixture of both ABSTINENCE and INDULGENCE. It's a complete life manual...

At one point it ABSTAINS the use of Alcohol, and the reason? In the intoxicated situation a person can commit serious crimes...

At other point Islam instructs to give CHARIY, as it makes a poor feel a bit more comfortable...

Another point is that Islam encourages reasoning in many matters, it guides a person to discuss on something for higher and greater goods...

I suppose fear is pretty close to what religion is based on. We a born into a world wear everything is done for us. We have the ability to walk, breath, experience. We didn't have to build a body or program it like a computer it happened on it's own. We are here and we just simply use what has built itself. It's just natural to be afraid. We are in some place we don't understand. It's only natural to be loving towards each other because thats all we really truely have in the end.

but you havn't stated whether you are in favour of this .. or opposed to this idea expressed in the bible

Personally, I'm not in favour of it.

I suppose fear is pretty close to what religion is based on. We a born into a world wear everything is done for us. We have the ability to walk, breath, experience. We didn't have to build a body or program it like a computer it happened on it's own. We are here and we just simply use what has built itself. It's just natural to be afraid. We are in some place we don't understand. It's only natural to be loving towards each other because thats all we really truely have in the end.

Yes, FEAR in natural, people fear things that they cannot understand. You have to FEAR the God because he is the supreme power.

The idea of FEAR also generates a sense of security...

can you imagine a religion based on greed , selfishness , lust ..

yes , there are some occult practitioners who believe that these traits are

inherent in a man's character

so why feel shy of accepting them as our true nature

Edited by harmonious

can you imagine a religion based on greed , selfishness , lust ..

yes , there are some occult practitioners who believe that these traits are

inherent in a man's character

so why feel shy of accepting them as our true nature

Yes I Agree:) (Still waiting for your PM Reply)

All religion is based on fear of death.

Not all religion. Some yes. You have to look outside the dogma of religion to see the good in it. There are good people of every religion and there are bad people. I don't think it should be about religion as much as about a relationship with a higher power if that's what you want. I don't believe in a higher power because I fear what will happen to me if I don't and I don't fear my God. I think it's pathetic if some people do but if that's what they want in life then so be it. I never really thought of religion as something based on fear as much as something based on the fact that people want to find a way to understand something that they can't grasp without stories and superstitions.

All religion is based on fear of death.

Fear, yes, fear of death, not all....

I would agree with the above post

I think fear is whats used to get people to adhere to a specific religion.

Religion as a practice, globally, though is based on the idea of rules that ensure the survival of a civilization. The laws set into place prevent behaviour that is detrimental to continued survival of a group. If everyone raped, killed, stole, and didn't breed properly, we would have a hard time not going extinct. This especially when populations were small.

The salvation and damnation was indoctrinated into the psyche of the masses as that final deterrant to sway us into obediance of these, now commonsense, parameters that greatly enhance the survival of a species.

Edited by Chauncy