Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Palin Performance Helps McCain

Nxt2Hvn

Both presidential campaigns hit the trail Friday claiming victory in the vice presidential debate between Joe Biden and Sarah Palin, but it was Palin's cool and confident performance that prompted analysts to suggest that after more than a week of bad news for Republicans, John McCain can ride a new wind into the final month of the race.

The stakes were high for Palin going into the debate. A series of shaky interview performances led prominent conservatives -- much less independents and liberals -- to question her credentials.

The doubts were coupled with other bad news for McCain -- ongoing credit turmoil in the financial markets that didn't help the Arizona senator's poll numbers, despite his leading an emergency legislative powwow in Washington, and news that the Republican nominee was pulling out of the battleground state of Michigan.

But Palin pulled off a bravura performance, say analysts.

"Sarah Palin saved John McCain again Thursday night. She is the political equivalent of cardiac paddles," conservative columnist Peggy Noonan, who was caught criticizing Palin in an off-camera moment in early September, wrote in The Wall Street Journal.

"So, who won? On substance, the edge goes to Mr. Biden. On style, Ms. Palin eked out a close win, enormously magnified by the plain fact that she wasn't chased off the stage," wrote editors at The Dallas Morning News.

Meanwhile, Biden, by putting a hold on his gaffe-prone tongue and showing restraint against Palin, helped Barack Obama's campaign, analysts said. One Obama aide told FOX News before the debate started that if all went well for them, most people won't even remember Biden was there.

"I think Biden actually did what he needed to do," Democratic strategist Kirsten Powers said Friday. "He really needed to do no harm ... He didn't really take the bait too much."

But even as many declared Biden the actual winner of the debate, several analysts renewed their praise of Palin and suggested that the first-term Alaska governor's defying expectations is a much bigger moral victory.

"A lot of people, and I include myself in that group, wondered if Sarah Palin was gonna screw up big time. She didn't," said former CBS newsman Bernie Goldberg, a FOX News analyst.

"I think last night she redeemed herself for a couple of very bad weeks," said Howard Wolfson, Hillary Clinton's former spokesman.

Wolfson said the Palin that appeared on stage in St. Louis Thursday night was reminiscent of the Palin on stage at the GOP national convention -- the one that invigorated the Republican ticket and helped give McCain a lead, however fleeting, in the polls over Obama in early September.

Palin was folksy and deliberately commonplace, reaching out to middle-class voters on personality as Biden attempted to connect with them on policy.

"Sarah Palin had command of the facts, probably not as well as Biden," Goldberg said. "But she came off as extremely likable."

Palin's performance was a lifeline to McCain as the two presidential candidates head into their second debate Tuesday.

Asked when he was going to "take the gloves off" with Obama at a Denver town hall late Thursday, McCain quipped: "How 'bout Tuesday night?"

Palin also could help keep McCain afloat as the campaign revises its strategy for the final month.

His campaign confirmed Thursday it was pulling campaign staff and advertising out of Michigan, as polls show the Arizona senator losing support in the battleground. McCain also canceled a visit to the state slated for next week.

On a conference call Thursday, McCain campaign aides said Michigan had always been the weakest of the toss-up states for them, and they are still looking at battlegrounds like Wisconsin and Pennsylvania.

They said they are planning to move resources into Maine, and start to compete with Obama aggressively in Florida.

Senior adviser Greg Strimple said that in states like Florida, the campaign made a strategic decision to let Obama spend resources until closer to Election Day. He said the McCain campaign would pour more money into advertising and watch the territory snap back in his favor.

Source/Link

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SoCrazes

• Pinky Floyd

• SilverCougar

• questionmark

Top Posters In This Topic

Palin came off looking fake fake fake. I did not get that she was sincere about anything. Her whole act about being a regular hockey mom is so contrived and the way she refers to the average American as joe-six pack LOL. Yup she respects the people all right :no: I can't wait to see her in another live interview, more material for the gaff files lol

Wall Street columnists are going to publically be behind the Republican ticket, so it's no great surprise to see favourable comments coming out of that area.

That people can give Palin a "win" for "not being chased off the stage" is somewhat astonishing to me. Are expectations of the Executive so low that simply not being made to look foolish is worthy of acclaim?

If I remember right G.W. Bush was folksy as well. More of the same, please guv'ner?

So what does it say about our political candidates when the best that can be said about them is "hey they didnt screw up and make total fools of themselves..."

...Thats a wonderfully refreshing bar to set for those that might be running our country isnt it?

Personally I dont want a "hockey mom" "joe six-pack" running the country...I think that is ridiculous. The "gee-golly-gosh" was over the top and might sell well in Alaska but she certainly couldn't represent the country in a fashion that I would be any more comfortable than bush and his mangling of the language.

She avoided questions and flat out couldnt answer anything in any detail, which is in line with everything she has done to this point...but hey, she's a woman, so she gets extra special points for playing and having hockey mom bodyparts...

She avoided questions and flat out couldnt answer anything in any detail
I have to disagree she described alot of stuff in detail and did answer questions she answered the question about health care in detail did she not? I mean some question she did skirt but no more than biden and Obama always skirts around questions and never answers them directly he smiles and starts talking around the answer but never gives one but most of america right now wants to hate sarah palin so they wont even give her a chance also there were lies on both sides I mean I guess I just think its ridiuclous most people only see McCain/Palin slip ups and ignore Obama/Biden slip ups and I dont think thats fair at all at least I can admit when the candidates I support mess up and Biden said the dumbest thing about McCains health care plan he said :that Republican presidential candidate John McCain's $5,000 tax credit to help families buy health coverage "will go straight to the insurance company well duh because it's meant to pay for insurance. That's like saying money for a car loan will go straight to the car dealer. also On the foreign policy front, Biden challenged Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin when she said Barack Obama’s pledge to meet with any foreign leaders, including Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, without precondition “goes beyond naivete and goes beyond poor judgment.”

Biden lectured Palin, “That's just simply not true about Barrack Obama. He did not say he'd sit down with Ahmadinejad.” During the YouTube Democratic primary debate last July Obama was asked if he would meet the leaders of Iran, Syria, Venezuela, Cuba, and North Korea without “precondition” during his first year in office.

“I would,” he replied.

I have to disagree she described alot of stuff in detail and did answer questions she answered the question about health care in detail did she not? I mean some question she did skirt but no more than biden and Obama always skirts around questions and never answers them directly he smiles and starts talking around the answer but never gives one but most of america right now wants to hate sarah palin so they wont even give her a chance also there were lies on both sides I mean I guess I just think its ridiuclous most people only see McCain/Palin slip ups and ignore Obama/Biden slip ups and I dont think thats fair at all at least I can admit when the candidates I support mess up and Biden said the dumbest thing about McCains health care plan he said :that Republican presidential candidate John McCain's $5,000 tax credit to help families buy health coverage "will go straight to the insurance company well duh because it's meant to pay for insurance. That's like saying money for a car loan will go straight to the car dealer. also On the foreign policy front, Biden challenged Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin when she said Barack Obama’s pledge to meet with any foreign leaders, including Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, without precondition “goes beyond naivete and goes beyond poor judgment.”

Biden lectured Palin, “That's just simply not true about Barrack Obama. He did not say he'd sit down with Ahmadinejad.” During the YouTube Democratic primary debate last July Obama was asked if he would meet the leaders of Iran, Syria, Venezuela, Cuba, and North Korea without “precondition” during his first year in office.

“I would,” he replied.

Ahmadinejad is the President of Iran, but he is not the Leader of Iran - the true power in the Government there is with the Supreme Leader and the Council of Experts. The Council is an elected council of clerics who (among other duties) selects the Supreme Leader who serves a life term.

Biden was completely correct when he stated Obama did not say he would sit down with Ahmadinejad, that most people (including Sarah Palin?) aren't aware he's not the 'boss' in Iran isn't relevant.

Edited by Leonardo

Even the (I will MANGLE this word) Aiyatoli's.. you know.. the real leaders of Iran.. don't even agree with Ahmadinejad for alot of what he says. And Ahmadinejad can't really do squat without the Aiyatoli's concent.

"It's amazing, you know, she's been thrust into the national spotlight with very little preparation and I think that, all things considered, you saw a very composed and effective debater last night."

-Hilliary Clinton

source

Well, at least it's good to see at least one Democrat being fair..

Both presidential campaigns hit the trail Friday claiming victory in the vice presidential debate between Joe Biden and Sarah Palin, but it was Palin's cool and confident performance that prompted analysts to suggest that after more than a week of bad news for Republicans, John McCain can ride a new wind into the final month of the race.

Even a FOX NEWS poll shows the majority of viewers(FOX VIEWERS) think Biden won.

Senior adviser Greg Strimple said that in states like Florida, the campaign made a strategic decision to let Obama spend resources until closer to Election Day. He said the McCain campaign would pour more money into advertising and watch the territory snap back in his favor.

The Fact that Florida is a "battleground" state now shows just where this election is going...

Cheers,

SQLserver

The stakes were high for Palin going into the debate. A series of shaky interview performances led prominent conservatives -- much less independents and liberals -- to question her credentials.

The doubts were coupled with other bad news for McCain -- ongoing credit turmoil in the financial markets that didn't help the Arizona senator's poll numbers, despite his leading an emergency legislative powwow in Washington, and news that the Republican nominee was pulling out of the battleground state of Michigan.

But Palin pulled off a bravura performance, say analysts.

"Sarah Palin saved John McCain again Thursday night. She is the political equivalent of cardiac paddles," conservative columnist Peggy Noonan, who was caught criticizing Palin in an off-camera moment in early September, wrote in The Wall Street Journal.

"So, who won? On substance, the edge goes to Mr. Biden. On style, Ms. Palin eked out a close win, enormously magnified by the plain fact that she wasn't chased off the stage," wrote editors at The Dallas Morning News.

Meanwhile, Biden, by putting a hold on his gaffe-prone tongue and showing restraint against Palin, helped Barack Obama's campaign, analysts said. One Obama aide told FOX News before the debate started that if all went well for them, most people won't even remember Biden was there.

"I think Biden actually did what he needed to do," Democratic strategist Kirsten Powers said Friday. "He really needed to do no harm ... He didn't really take the bait too much."

But even as many declared Biden the actual winner of the debate, several analysts renewed their praise of Palin and suggested that the first-term Alaska governor's defying expectations is a much bigger moral victory.

"A lot of people, and I include myself in that group, wondered if Sarah Palin was gonna screw up big time. She didn't," said former CBS newsman Bernie Goldberg, a FOX News analyst.

"I think last night she redeemed herself for a couple of very bad weeks," said Howard Wolfson, Hillary Clinton's former spokesman.

Wolfson said the Palin that appeared on stage in St. Louis Thursday night was reminiscent of the Palin on stage at the GOP national convention -- the one that invigorated the Republican ticket and helped give McCain a lead, however fleeting, in the polls over Obama in early September.

Palin was folksy and deliberately commonplace, reaching out to middle-class voters on personality as Biden attempted to connect with them on policy.

"Sarah Palin had command of the facts, probably not as well as Biden," Goldberg said. "But she came off as extremely likable."

Palin's performance was a lifeline to McCain as the two presidential candidates head into their second debate Tuesday.

Asked when he was going to "take the gloves off" with Obama at a Denver town hall late Thursday, McCain quipped: "How 'bout Tuesday night?"

Palin also could help keep McCain afloat as the campaign revises its strategy for the final month.

His campaign confirmed Thursday it was pulling campaign staff and advertising out of Michigan, as polls show the Arizona senator losing support in the battleground. McCain also canceled a visit to the state slated for next week.

On a conference call Thursday, McCain campaign aides said Michigan had always been the weakest of the toss-up states for them, and they are still looking at battlegrounds like Wisconsin and Pennsylvania.

They said they are planning to move resources into Maine, and start to compete with Obama aggressively in Florida.

Source/Link

Of course he was able to hold his tongue he gave the same answer to the 5 or 6 questions I was able to stomach.

McCain is going to do the same thing that Bush did. Something to that affect.

She just didn't hurt the campaign. If people truly think they see her capable of commanding generals in a critical situation then the education system, and NCLB, is a real ripoff in this country.

Additionally, she isn't "one of us." She is a millionairre, and the last I checked, being a millionairre precludes you from the middle class.

Edited by SoCrazes

She just didn't hurt the campaign. If people truly think they see her capable of commanding generals in a critical situation then the education system, and NCLB, is a real ripoff in this country.

A Mayor leads the city police.

A Govenour leads the state police and state national guard.

What armed forces has Obama ever had command over?

Additionally, she isn't "one of us." She is a millionairre, and the last I checked, being a millionairre precludes you from the middle class.

Now that's the cheapest shot at class envy I've seen in a long time!

Big difference is that she and he husband earned every penny. They didn't take buckets of money from now-failed companies like Obama or lobbyists.

And just how many millions does Obama and Biden have? Didn't hear you complain about that! :unsure2:

Very low shot. Desperate for something? :rolleyes:

Big difference is that she and he husband earned every penny. They didn't take buckets of money from now-failed companies like Obama or lobbyists.

And just how many millions does Obama and Biden have? Didn't hear you complain about that! :unsure2:

I wouldn't suggest it is class envy, simply that Palin projects herself as being middle class when she isn't (financially). Biden wasn't ashamed to say he was well off and didn't try to project a false image of himself in this manner.

Now, unless you are the auditor/accountant for Palin and her husband I would be very surprised if you actually knew where all her money came from. It doesn't take much to make grand claims, but it doesn't take much to destroy them either.

Edited by Leonardo

I wouldn't suggest it is class envy, simply that Palin projects herself as being middle class when she isn't (financially). Biden wasn't ashamed to say he was well off and didn't try to project a false image of himself in this manner.

A million ain't what it used to be. ;)

According to CNN Money, in 2005 1 out of 125 Americans had a worth of $1 million or more (not including the value of their primary residence). In 2005 7.5 million Americans have a worth if $1 million or more.

According to TNS Global, by mid-2006 that figure had jumped to 9.3 million Americans.

There are quite a few Americans with a million dollar values or pretty close to it. So that kind of argument is truly a cheap shot at class envy.

ps- Have you ever read "The Millionaire Next Door"?

Yeah.. unless her kids can't go to college because they can't afford it.. then I don't wanna hear how "middle class" she is. It's an insult. She really has no idea.

A Mayor leads the city police.

A Govenour leads the state police and state national guard.

What armed forces has Obama ever had command over?

It's not a cheap shot, Obama nor Biden claim to be middle class...she does. As far as commanding our military, that was my personal opinion...I think that if most people truly tought through the VP position, they wouldn't vote for Palin. She is a remarkable person (bright, refreshing, and folksy); but, not one I'd trust as commander of our armed forces - especially in critical times (they could be construed as a "gotcha" moment).

According to CNN Money, in 2005 1 out of 125 Americans had a worth of $1 million or more (not including the value of their primary residence). In 2005 7.5 million Americans have a worth if $1 million or more.

According to TNS Global, by mid-2006 that figure had jumped to 9.3 million Americans.

There are quite a few Americans with a million dollar values or pretty close to it. So that kind of argument is truly a cheap shot at class envy.

Not including the value of their primary residence? In brackets? I think that says a lot, by itself.

I don't think that the wealthiest 1 out of 125 Americans really counts as "the middle class", somehow. Unless you're implying that 124 out of 125 Americans are members of "the lower class".

But don't take my word for it. Have a look at the Academic Class models. You'll note that having a net worth of $1 Million or more, including the value of their "primary residence" ( or house, as it's more commonly known), puts someone firmly within the Capitalist (upper) class, the top 1%.

A million ain't what it used to be. ;)

ps- Have you ever read "The Millionaire Next Door"?

Let's look at the numbers you presented:

2005 1/125 people have a net worth of $1 million or more not counting their primary residence. That is 8/10 of one percent of the U.S. population and this isn't counting their primary residence.

2006 9.3/300 million people in the U.S. have $1 million or more counting their primary residence. That is 3%. You could very easily describe away most of the 2.2% discrepency by adding in the the primary house in the first instance.

Also po, you're erroneously trying to assert that the middle class is now, based on 2006 numbers, part of the top 3% of the economy as deemed by net worth. As Tiggs asserts, you're attempting to claim that 97% of the U.S. population is below the middle class. MasterPo, were you also an advocate for the government to classify fast food restaurant jobs as manufacturing too?

Palin came off looking fake fake fake. I did not get that she was sincere about anything. Her whole act about being a regular hockey mom is so contrived and the way she refers to the average American as joe-six pack LOL. Yup she respects the people all right :no: I can't wait to see her in another live interview, more material for the gaff files lol

LOl she showed she is not truly educated on much of anything , ..... she showed that she can be rehearsed but anyone could be ..

beyond that she is the equivalent of the avon lady IMO...

If anyone has been to Alaska they will know that Palin is out of the main stream as it reflects in her style which works for the shopping network.... ....... ...Alaska is 2000 miles of wilderness, one road in that you cant do more than 30 miles an hour on do to the bumps.........We are not talking metropolis pov........

Edited by Tangerine Sheri

I don't think that the wealthiest 1 out of 125 Americans really counts as "the middle class", somehow. Unless you're implying that 124 out of 125 Americans are members of "the lower class".

You're right.

Let's go find a Joe-Six-Pack making $22/hr at the mill who wants to be Presdient. I'm sure you'll cut him some slack too when he doesn't know the leader of this or that middle east country or can't discuss this or that doctrine.

No problem.

Very very cheap shots. Ammo is so running dry here.

You're right.

Let's go find a Joe-Six-Pack making $22/hr at the mill who wants to be Presdient. I'm sure you'll cut him some slack too when he doesn't know the leader of this or that middle east country or can't discuss this or that doctrine.

No problem.

Very very cheap shots. Ammo is so running dry here.

Are you equating Palin with a person who makes $22 per hour? The difference between Joe6Pack and Palin is the Joe6pack knows he isn't qualified to run this country.

Are you equating Palin with a person who makes $22 per hour? The difference between Joe6Pack and Palin is the Joe6pack knows he isn't qualified to run this country.

What are the qualifications needed to be president?

EDIT: Damn grammar!

Edited by Splodgenessabounds

What are the qualifications for being president?

Natural born citizen who has resided in the US for at least 14 years and is at least 40 years of age.

35!

Natural born citizen who has resided in the US for at least 14 years and is at least 40 years of age.

Exactly.

Nothing in there about foreign experience, managing economies, budgets or anything for that.

So Palin and Joe "Six Pack" are equally qualified to run the US.

I swear this election is more Obama v Palin than Obama v McCain. No one gives a nat's scrotum about McCain anymore. I feel sorry for him.