Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The strange place between awake and sleep

adman

Hi there,

I thought i would come here for some advice on some experiences I have been having.

Some mornings I would encounter a weird paralysed state in which I believe to be a state between sleep and awake conciousness on which I have to force myself to wake up. When this first started to happen I researched it on the Internet and there found to be a scientific explanation to this event and I passed it off as nothing to be concerned about. However recently things have started to happen in this state in which have led me to me think there is more to this.

On a couple of occasions recently whilst in this state i hear what can be described as a lot of human voices chattering away although I can not focus in on any real sentences or words. I try to pick up words or sentences by trying to tune my ear, although as weird as it sounds my ear/head feels like a radio tuner. Unfortunately I have never picked up conservations although it feels as if people are trying to speak to me I cant actually tune my brain/ear to pick it up and I just end up waking up.

However this was nothing to what happened to me next. Whilst in this weird state I tried to open my eyes although I dont know if I was actually opening my eyes I could see it was morning as light was coming into my bedroom but then I noticed a black shadow of a person out the corner of my eye sitting on my bed and could also feel there weight on the bed. Terror then struck however as it did I felt as if the shadow could sense my fear and patted me on the arm and said dont worry. What freaked me out even more was the voice of the shadow was my grandfathers voice. My grandfather had died 12 years previous and I heard his voice as clear as day and it was weird hearing it again as I had actually forgotten what it sounded like. No sooner as he said dont worry I woke up and since have not had a similar experience.

Do other people have similar experiences? and is there any way I can train myself to get more out of these experiences or possibly invoke them?

Thanks

-- Adman

Adman

I to are just as clueless as you.. Even though are dreams are not alike, there is one simalarity about your story that shocked me to my core the (Shadow). I dont see them in my dreams but I do see them alot in my normal day to day events... Im wondering now if they have a conection with my dreams. Now as for you wanting to invoke these dreams, you must first come to terms with what could possibly happen if you do this. The negative side of this could see your door as wide open as the positive side does. What comes in and out of your dreams you have absolutly no control over. Ask yourself is thats the chance you want to take. If I were you I would just let it happened as you have been. Research a little more on what you can do to tap into it when it does happen. I also want you to check out one of my Topics called mysteries of the shadows. Just go to my profile page and click topics it will come up.

If you want to talk more you can always drop me a PM.

Good Luck

Beck

Well, the paralysis is pretty normal. Been having them for years, is nothing to worry about :) Is normal to hear voices while in this stage. Might hear alot of different sounds as well.

And the voice, could possibly be just a memory replaying in your dreams...farfetched, I know but it is a possibility.

~Rox

Well, the paralysis is pretty normal. Been having them for years, is nothing to worry about :) Is normal to hear voices while in this stage. Might hear alot of different sounds as well.

And the voice, could possibly be just a memory replaying in your dreams...farfetched, I know but it is a possibility.

~Rox

Rox

I agree with you on the normal thing. After coming here and opening up to friends and family about it I quickly found out that there are many diffrent types of sleep Paralysis. Some like mine are worse than others. Before coming here I didn't even know A name exsisted for what I was going through. Now thanks to people like you I can develop the skills and tools I need to figure out just maybe how to control it.

Thanks

Beck

Edited by beckyboo

The subconscious mind is a strange thing.. Simply a projected version of reality built upon previous states of conscious experience. When you sleep its largely your subconscious calling the shots, as your waking up (or falling asleep) you get confused as your conscious mind tries to take over sometimes. Just accept it as one of the strange experiences of being human xD. Reality is subjective however so you can take it to mean whatever you want and it will in a sense be REAL.

Rox

I agree with you on the normal thing. After coming here and opening up to friends and family about it I quickly found out that there are many diffrent types of sleep Paralysis. Some like mine are worse than others. Before coming here I didn't even know A name exsisted for what I was going through. Now thanks to people like you I can develop the skills and tools I need to figure out just maybe how to control it.

Thanks

Beck

[/color][/size]

Ya welcome :) Is very scary when it happens the first time, but after the next couple of times, you'll figure out it's absolutely normal. I just ride it out when it happens. After a while, you can even tell when it's going to happen. Getting out of it will become increasingly easier, you'll see :) Last time I remember, I was got paralysed like seven times before falling asleep. But each time only lasted for like a second, except the last, I let that one linger. And the reason those happened, is because at the time, I was extremely stressed. So, in my case, I get paralysed when I'm stressed or depressed. I think the type I get is kinda like a coping mechanism when I'm stressed. I dunno, it differs among people

isn't this called a hypnagogic state? when you are not quite dreaming but not fully back in the real world?

should you try to have an OBE when this happens cause your body is asleep and your mind is awake

the voice of your grand father could actually be him people can tend to communicate with deceased loved ones in the astral plane. look up astral projection, OBE

I used to get weird experiences like that and started to wonder what is going on?

Hi there,

I thought i would come here for some advice on some experiences I have been having.

Some mornings I would encounter a weird paralysed state in which I believe to be a state between sleep and awake conciousness on which I have to force myself to wake up. When this first started to happen I researched it on the Internet and there found to be a scientific explanation to this event and I passed it off as nothing to be concerned about. However recently things have started to happen in this state in which have led me to me think there is more to this.

On a couple of occasions recently whilst in this state i hear what can be described as a lot of human voices chattering away although I can not focus in on any real sentences or words. I try to pick up words or sentences by trying to tune my ear, although as weird as it sounds my ear/head feels like a radio tuner. Unfortunately I have never picked up conservations although it feels as if people are trying to speak to me I cant actually tune my brain/ear to pick it up and I just end up waking up.

However this was nothing to what happened to me next. Whilst in this weird state I tried to open my eyes although I dont know if I was actually opening my eyes I could see it was morning as light was coming into my bedroom but then I noticed a black shadow of a person out the corner of my eye sitting on my bed and could also feel there weight on the bed. Terror then struck however as it did I felt as if the shadow could sense my fear and patted me on the arm and said dont worry. What freaked me out even more was the voice of the shadow was my grandfathers voice. My grandfather had died 12 years previous and I heard his voice as clear as day and it was weird hearing it again as I had actually forgotten what it sounded like. No sooner as he said dont worry I woke up and since have not had a similar experience.

Do other people have similar experiences? and is there any way I can train myself to get more out of these experiences or possibly invoke them?

Thanks

-- Adman

ya your just haveing sleep paralysis, happpens to alot of ppl, you wake up and you cant move or talk, and you see white lights, or beings or anything you mind can make up. what happens is your body wakes up in a dream but your mind doesnts realize it, so your keep dreaming while you awake, and your see your dream in real time, rite infront of you. can be a really scary thing, happens to me all the time. look up some info on it.

should you try to have an OBE when this happens cause your body is asleep and your mind is awake

the voice of your grand father could actually be him people can tend to communicate with deceased loved ones in the astral plane. look up astral projection, OBE

I used to get weird experiences like that and started to wonder what is going on?

Your right Burna.... Best time for this stuff...

its most common to have the communication thru dreams too...

Blessings

~Rox

Not far fetched at all actually.

When we are in REM sleep our brains are actually filing information and memories. If while coming out of stage four REM sleep your brain doesnt "flick on" as quickly, sleep paralysis, hearing voices or sounds or seeing faces would not be uncommon at all. Especially familiar ones!

If the sleep paralysis lasts for more than 5 minutes I would talk to your doctor. And if this is happening alot, you may have a slight sleep disorder.

The shadow thing I have to say is remarkable.

I have had a few similar situations happen to me. Three times, I just woke up in the middle of stage 3 or 4 sleep (deep NREM) to see a shadow of a small child standing at my bed. Two times I reached out assuming it was my son but the child dissapeared. The third time the child walked from the door way towards me and I freaked and hid my face in the pillow, when i rose my head, the shadow was gone.

I also had an experience where I was convinced that I felt , sensed and heard someone walk into the room, felt them sit on my bed (i was sleeping on my stomach) they touched my shoulder and said my name, I looked, no one was there...and I did not recognize the voice.

So I dont know, sometimes I wonder if these were spiritual visitations and other times I think it was just my brain reorganizing itself and my unconcsious overlapping with my concisous.

Edited by jwilsonwcri

Yah, one time I saw Gargoyles while in that state. I'm not saying they were real however. My mind was probably still dreaming. I've also heard voices in that state too. Like people chanting "Death death death" over and over. Or, I have been perfectly awake lying on my bed, and hear music. And if I move it stops...Really weird...

EDIT

I once woke up durin this state, and couldnt move. That was one of the most terrifying experiences in my life. I didnt hear or see anything abnormal, but the fact I couldmt move, just made me feel very trapped and scared. I just concentrated on moving my toe, and I finally got it and immediately ran upstairs...If It hadnt caught me so off guard, I would of tried to project. Because the thought of Astral Projection mezmorizes me. The possibility of being able to explore infinitly, with no boundries or anything. It seems amazing. I've gotten so close...But not close enough...

Edited by Heartagram3200

• 4 months later...

If you find yourself in between the sleep/wake state, this is the ideal moment to leave your body. Sometimes this state is accompanied with feelings of intense vibrations, this happens because your spirit or energy body vibrates at a different rate to your physical body. Occassionally, the mind doesn't follow the physical body into sleep which results in a mind awake and body asleep state. When this happens the mind can perceive the changed vibrations of the energy body as it shifts to that body.

To OBE is really simple from this state, you just have to sit up or roll over and walk away. If you manage this, try to get further away from the physical body quickly or you snap back to it. Then experiment by feeling objects and at your will pushing through them if you like. The world is different in the energy state. You see things that your particular vibrations allow you to see which are different from the physical body vibrations. You might turn-around and not be able to see your physical body in bed for example. When you see other people, sometimes you are seeing their energy/spirit and not their physical body.

If all this sounds like weird, well its absolutely true. To add to your quest, it seems like the world is heading rapidly towards a more energy/spiritual age where more and more people are feeling their life force and experiencing their spirits. 2012 prophesies maybe. You should read these to understand what is going on (the bigger picture).

Normally your energy is bound to your physical but this is one of those unique times it can wonder off. You can't harm anything and nothing can harm you. So experiment as much as you like.

• 4 months later...

Hi!

I really resonate to 'Fij's explanation. This morning I found myself in a state between sleep and awake and felt REALLY intense vibrations rushing through my body! After that I saw something as well (a person) but it was the vibrations that was was the clearest. This has happened to me ones before.

I really want to find out more about this! Please Fij email me on johanna@kurekashley.com or someone please help me with where I can find out more about this. I've been asking for a spiritual experience lately and now I got it and I'm very excited!

Looking forward to follow the future posts!

Thanks ;)

The OP descriptions quite solidly are able to fit into the categories of Sleep Paralysis and Hypnogogic and Hypnopompic Hallucinations, not widespread but still recognized natural physiological phenomena that don't necessarily suggest any further medical or psychological issues, which tend to all be somehow related. Among these, as noted, it is not uncommon to:

- see figures, dark, light, even objects, or an "overlay" of something over a real object

- a crushing weight on chest, paralysis, some difficulty breathing

- mild to severe anxiety and fear

- various skin sensations and sensing of presences and movement and being watched

- hearing voices, singing, chiming, laughing, occasionally yelling and other noises

Furthermore, from 15 minutes before, during or after waking, any or all these symptoms may occur and be present and be perceived, even when you are up, walking around and even performing activities, talking to people, writing, etc. Any story of paranormal events that includes the phrase "I was just lying in bed/fading off to sleep/waking up" immediately casts SIGNIFICANT doubt on an event's reality.

I love this subject. My brother (2 years older) taught me to see images in the dark as: "the movies" to help me settle down and get to sleep when I was a preschooler. I believe this was my introduction to hypnagogia, and the awareness of how perceptions can be altered through concentration.

In 3rd grade I recall asking my teacher after school, when everyone else had gone, what she could tell me about the loud silence, when you can hear the blood rushing through your ears and time stretches out. I was lucky to avoid being institutionalized judging by the strange look she gave me. I recall one dream around that time, which I now see as consistent with the reports of shadow people. A tall thin man in silhouette, standing at my bedroom door, wearing a small cowboy hat (similar to a fedora). I found it strange, but accepted different interpretations of it to support my ever evolving belief system.

In my 20s when I was married, I became aware of voices, only heard at that time before falling off to sleep. At first I believed it was our neighbor, but focusing on the voice, I heard a thick southern accent before falling into a deep sleep. I learned this is how it happens regularly and at first felt very uncomfortable about it, thinking I was losing it, I deliberately slept with the TV on, volume up to drown out the whisper level voices.

In later years I experimented to find I sometimes hear music always instrumental jazz or rock fusion but never a recognizable tune. I became quite curious: have I tapped into the very raw element of creativity itself? I believed I was accessing the akashic records (although I don't recall learning about them, I could have picked up the concept in a college psych course). I rationalized my own artistic process of creativity as: "accessing the invisible realm of ideas that lay just within reach."

Now in my 40s, I can't say I've pushed the possibilities to their limits but am open to try lucid dreaming as I'm comfortable in that realm, have proven some natural inclinations to fly and feel my being self taught very unusual, yet a point of pride.

My sig links to a site I found last year with the most information I have found yet in one place concerning the subject of Sleep Paralysis and HHEs.

I have had many experiences in this in between area. I have seen a entity come out of my wall. I have had visions of sort, even been choked once. I have no idea about the why's, but damn aint it interesting?

There is something called the Alpha state. That is when the mind is most receptive to receiving intuitive information.

Some can reach this state through meditation and for others it is more natural, in that they can connect to their sensing skills through choice.

John

I have reached a state similar to that between sleep and awake. When I am trying to stay awake but I am really tired. I usually close my eyes and when I feel I am about to fall asleep I open them. Every time I close my eyes again I get closer to being asleep. Eventually I start dreaming and open my eyes and only 1 or 2 minutes passed.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

FIRST I DON'T FORCE MY VIEWS OR BELIEFS ON ANYONE SO READ THIS AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION.

Yes there is a strange place between sleep and reality, another realm or reality so please don't be fooled about this it does exist. The creatures there are very real. When you are in this place of there's it appears to be a familiar place yet it is in fact different. What is actually happening is that these creatures have developed a way to mentally trap you in a place that looks similar to your home or some other place that feels familiar to you, thus making you feel comfortable because that's part of there plan they desire to catch you off guard. Yes this place is an illusion of the thoughts that these creatures gathered from your mind and play back to you backwards. The reason i say backwards is because usually your not even facing in the direction you believe you are in, it`s usually the opposite, when you wake up you may have noticed this, then out of nowhere these fear suckers paralyze you, and you will want to call for help yet there is no one that can assist you but yourself. Like vampires they attack you and feed off your fear, They cant hold you down for long and so they start to lose there grip and eventually have to release you back to your reality.

What are they, I call them satans you call them what you want. In there realm they are talking in low tones sometimes and yes its about you, and you have the correct feeling that you are being watched and you are. There`s something about lights and darkness, first you in a mildly lit place and as you proceed this place get darker ,or all the lights go off instantly and wham they got you. They are leading you as in a maze to there strong point and that`s the place where they are hiding. They will continue to attack and feed off you until you die because you are there life force.

They usually attack after 12:00 AM or in the wee hours of the morning the sunlight seems to scare these creatures off. There are other things there as well, good spirits and bad spirits existing side by side, they never appear in there natural form they come in the form of a person that you hold to be good in your mind,or even bad in your mind, so some people during these attacks see Jesus some as yourself see an Uncle or dead or live family member, some see demons. Ive seen them all, the good ones are there to prevent you from dying from the attacks and to give you comfort after an aggravating moment. Oh you ask who am I. Just someone who`s have experienced these entities since child hood and have fought a many battles with them and won.

So you can listen to another human who calls himself a professional yet he has no realm experience with these creatures and in fact knows nothing about this dark underworld, Or me the real professional who been fighting these b******* for a lifetime. Yes you can fight these b******* and defeat them and win them at there own game and yes it feels great to be able to do so. Now you may wanna know how, No fear is the answer, If fear is there strength Then No Fear is your weapon, How do you use such a weapon you may ask, First acknowledge they exists if you don't believe they exists then it keep happening from time to time for the rest of your life. Then program yourself before you go to sleep and tell yourself over and over they wont win and your going to kill them they read minds so when they read this on your mind they wont come close to you because yes you can kill them if you want.

Look for a point in what i would like to name this place the dreamlike realm and that's the point of when you first notice that something is strange or wrong, the mistakes people keep making is that they convince themselves that everything is alright and that they will get to safety and they never do. So when you reached the point of uncertainty call on all that is good because this entity is evil and it feeds of evil and fear. So remember a love one, Your God or a happy place and they cant constrain you. I always call on God but to each its own. Anyways since these creatures are so week you can struggle with them and grab them, I have broke ones arm but I haven't killed one yet I hope to though, I know others that have killed one, and there are consequences So I suggest you dont unless you know what they are. Some of them I grab and we struggle then i reach for anything i can break.

Now when I enter there realm they respect me and they keep themselves clear and hidden and just study me from a distance and that`s cool with me. Every so often you get a cocky one and it`ll try and make an assault on me much to its own loss.

There are people trying to keep this hidden, but some of us know. Good luck with with all your scientific explanations though.

Hi there,

Thanks

-- Adman

• Like 1

Uhrrr... hmm. Well thank you for your post, Darkscifi, that is certainly an... interesting alternative explanation, pretty harrowing it sounds like. And quite a thread necro also.

The one thing I have to add to this, past my post above, is that I also read an alien abduction book called the Tujunga Canyon Contacts (example here: http://www.anndruffel.com/books/tujungacanyoncontacts.htm), wherein one of a female couple, which the aliens were apparently studying because of their unusual lifestyle, used some sort of verbal technique, possibly the OM, and supposedly was able to break the paralysis and possibly resist/run off the aliens, I can't remember as it's been over a decade since I read it. But it might interest you.

• 6 months later...

I don't know if you ever got a answer to your question, or an answer you would like to hear. I know of your experience because this is a regular practice done by me. You can take what I say with a grain of salt, or take it as the gospel. I really don't care how you take it, but my advice to you is to take it as a warning. What you encountered is the Astrol plane field. This is a real place that exists to house spirits who for some reason have refused to cross over into the light. You however are not dead, therefore when you cross into this realm you will feal a constent pull to hold you grounded into your body. In this realm you can will your spirit out of your body, just by trying to pull yourself out. I don't know exactly how to explain it but you will realize what I'm talking about once you try it. It's extremely difficult at first but with practice it comes easier. However once you will yourself from your physical body, you will feel pull, kind of like an energy trying to pull you back to your body. Just keep practicing if you want to see another world other than your own. This realm you will be able to see everything of your own world, your room, outside, your house, everything will still be there, however some things may appear different. I have went into this realm, walked through the wall of my house and outside. Once outside the sky appeared to be red. Kind of like I was looking at it through red sunglasses. That's just one experience, there were others. Now the warning, anyone you see in this realm do not communicate with. That could have been your grandfarther or someone impersonating your grandfarther. Those people are spirits that have not crossed over and they can cause your real world alot of pain. Trust me

I don't know if you ever got a answer to your question, or an answer you would like to hear. I know of your experience because this is a regular practice done by me. You can take what I say with a grain of salt, or take it as the gospel. I really don't care how you take it, but my advice to you is to take it as a warning. What you encountered is the Astrol plane field. This is a real place that exists to house spirits who for some reason have refused to cross over into the light. You however are not dead, therefore when you cross into this realm you will feal a constent pull to hold you grounded into your body. In this realm you can will your spirit out of your body, just by trying to pull yourself out. I don't know exactly how to explain it but you will realize what I'm talking about once you try it. It's extremely difficult at first but with practice it comes easier. However once you will yourself from your physical body, you will feel pull, kind of like an energy trying to pull you back to your body. Just keep practicing if you want to see another world other than your own. This realm you will be able to see everything of your own world, your room, outside, your house, everything will still be there, however some things may appear different. I have went into this realm, walked through the wall of my house and outside. Once outside the sky appeared to be red. Kind of like I was looking at it through red sunglasses. That's just one experience, there were others. Now the warning, anyone you see in this realm do not communicate with. That could have been your grandfarther or someone impersonating your grandfarther. Those people are spirits that have not crossed over and they can cause your real world alot of pain. Trust me

Hi and welcome to UM.

My views about communicating with spirit are different. I also understand that for each of us, what is best is unique to us. That is why that I can support you views on this for you and still encourage another to make contact with them.

John

Edited by John A Spera

• 1 year later...

This happens to me a lot. I usually only realise though when I am being tormented. The last house I lived at was brand new so there was no bad energy, but the house before that was horrible. Something bad must've happened there. I'd feel something jumping on my bed, and my blankets and pillows felt like they were being pulled, and I was hit. I hate it. I moved again and it happened again for the first time here in 6 months, a feeling of a presence.

This happens to me a lot. I usually only realise though when I am being tormented. The last house I lived at was brand new so there was no bad energy, but the house before that was horrible. Something bad must've happened there. I'd feel something jumping on my bed, and my blankets and pillows felt like they were being pulled, and I was hit. I hate it. I moved again and it happened again for the first time here in 6 months, a feeling of a presence.

We live in such a fear based culture that feeling a presence is always considered a bad thing.

Consider if you can that a spiritual helpful energy has become available to you. Are you able to discern its intentions and the value that may be presented to you?

Best Wishes!!

John

• The topic was locked