Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Palin mistakes fans for protesters

Never Here

Palin mistakes fans for protesters at Va. rally By BOB LEWIS, Associated Press Writer

Mon Oct 13, 8:46 PM ET

RICHMOND, Va. - Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin mistook some of her own fans for hecklers Monday at a rally that drew thousands.

A massive crowd of at least 20,000 spread across the parking lot of Richmond International Raceway, and scores of people on the outer periphery more than 100 yards from the stage could not hear.

"Louder! Louder!" they began chanting, and the cry spread across the crowd to Palin's left. Some pointed skyward, urging that the volume be increased.

Palin stopped her remarks briefly and looked toward the commotion.

"I hope those protesters have the courage and honor to give veterans thanks for their right to protest," she said.

Some in the crowd tried to shout toward her what was really being said, but she couldn't hear them.

On a sunny day in which many had stood in place for more than three hours without shade, at least 25 people collapsed from heat-related illnesses and three were hospitalized, according to the Henrico County fire department.

Palin had campaigned with John McCain earlier Monday in Virginia Beach, only the second time the GOP ticket has campaigned in Virginia since June. Democrat Barack Obama or his running mate, Joe Biden, together visited the state eight times during that span.

Virginia has been solidly Republican for 40 years but is now a battleground, with both sides locked in a very close race for the state's 13 electoral votes.

Addressing the crowd, Palin largely avoided her recent criticisms of Obama. Instead, she acknowledged the emotion that has built up on both sides, particularly since the financial collapse.

"There is a lot of anger. There is anger at the inside dealing and anger at lobbyists and anger at the greed on Wall Street. There is anger at the Washington elite and there is anger at voter fraud," she said.

She promised a spending freeze if she and McCain win, and evoked cheers of "Drill, Baby, Drill!" in calling for greater domestic mining and oil drilling. The crowd roared when she criticized Biden for remarks he made in Ohio that the United States had little interest in coal-fired electrical power.

The afternoon's loudest ovation came when country music star Hank Williams Jr. offered a rendition of his hit "Family Tradition" that opened by assailing "the left-wing liberal media."

Palin later appeared in northern Virginia, raising half a million dollars at a fundraiser in McLean. About 400 people attended the $1,500 per person event Monday evening at the Ritz Carlton in Tysons Corner. The money goes to the Republican Party since the McCain campaign can't raise any more money under federal rules.

Palin said voters will not be fooled into thinking that McCain's election would be the equivalent of a third term for President Bush. She said McCain "took the gloves off" at his campaign appearances Monday and shouldn't be faulted for pointing out differences in the two tickets' records.

About 40 Democratic protesters waved signs at rush-hour commuters in busy Tysons Corner before the event.

___

Associated Press writer Matthew Barakat in McLean, Va., contributed to this report.

Edited by Tiggs

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MasterPo

• AROCES

• Never Here

• Incorrigible1

Top Posters In This Topic

Jump to conclusions much?

The stupid thing was not posting this in the US Presidential Election forum.

She's a dope. Poor excuse for 'eye candy'.

My Daddy was a veteran. Served 20 years Air Force and did the equivalent of 3 TOD's in Vietnam.

I love him and what he did, accomplished and stood for. He often told us stories of the crap troops put up with when they came back from Vietnam.

I'm sick of this Woman who is only a few years older than me going on like she's 'been there & done that'.

Psssht.

She's a dope. Poor excuse for 'eye candy'.

My Daddy was a veteran. Served 20 years Air Force and did the equivalent of 3 TOD's in Vietnam.

I love him and what he did, accomplished and stood for. He often told us stories of the crap troops put up with when they came back from Vietnam.

I'm sick of this Woman who is only a few years older than me going on like she's 'been there & done that'.

Psssht.

I noticed she has a lot of problem's with the simple questions.And you already know how she abused her power because of personal issues.I don't think anyone with a brain would think she would make a good anything.But,if you look back at the choices they make for VP's you have a long history of the OMG,anyone but that person!You wouldn't want dick cheney in power,(very scary) or dan quail..LOL..How about alexander Haig...im in control now!So i guess it must be a point to pick the worst on purpose.

Well.... IF they do get elected at least we'll have comic relief (like Dan Quayle) OMG that reminds me, our local grocer is called 'Dan's' and the other day the marquee said 'Potatoe's 1.99 5lb bag' right beneath the 'Dan's' logo. I wanted to get a pic but kept forgetting. I could see the caption now... something like what's Dan Quayle doing now...? Still teaching spelling from his grocery store.

Well.... IF they do get elected at least we'll have comic relief (like Dan Quayle) OMG that reminds me, our local grocer is called 'Dan's' and the other day the marquee said 'Potatoe's 1.99 5lb bag' right beneath the 'Dan's' logo. I wanted to get a pic but kept forgetting. I could see the caption now... something like what's Dan Quayle doing now...? Still teaching spelling from his grocery store.

Palin knows nothing of the national issues, has abused her power before (Cheney training?) and has some outrageous religous views. Very scary! What is equally scary is the alternative: a Dem oval office, a Dem House, and a Dem Senate.

We have two losing tickets and a financial mess that is going to take a decade to clean up. Almost prompts you to pack up and move to Cuba. At least there, the government tells you it is going to shaft you. Our politicians hug us while pick pocketing us and our kids at the same time. Tired of accepting this crap! We need to start another political party.

Just amazing.

Hilary, who's only accomplishment in life was marrying a cheating SOB who became President, is qualified.

But a self-made woman who came up on her own is clueless.

Amazing.

The hypocracy is getting deep around here...where did I leave me SCUBA tank.....

The hypocracy is getting deep around here...where did I leave me SCUBA tank.....

It was on the plane you jumped out of on the other thread.

It was on the plane you jumped out of on the other thread.

Oh, that's right. I forgot. Must have slipped my LSD expanded mind...

Just amazing.

Hilary, who's only accomplishment in life was marrying a cheating SOB who became President, is qualified.

But a self-made woman who came up on her own is clueless.

Amazing.

A Universal Health care plan that was dead on arrival when she was the first lady.

Became a Senator in a pure Liberal District.

While the former mayor and Governor who was popular for a job well done is clueless.

A Universal Health care plan that was dead on arrival when she was the first lady.

Became a Senator in a pure Liberal District.

And as a citizen of her Senatorial state I can assure you she has done nothing beneficial for New York!

And as a citizen of her Senatorial state I can assure you she has done nothing beneficial for New York!

Well, she voted for the war.