Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Speech recognition?

Mentalcase

SaRuMaN,

I had my microphone on while I was posting and I noticed when I looked up that there was a paragraph of gibberish. I didn't realize that you had a speech recognition program on here. I do have a program that came with Microsoft Word that has voice command and speech recognition, is that the reason this works on here?

Mentalcase

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mentalcase

• Saru

• SpaceyKC

• Bizarro

MC,

I'm quite certain that the forum itself does not have any speech recognition program - I think the most likely explanation is that your own speech recognition software works on all input text fields - when you are making a new post, anything it picks up is interpreted and pasted straight into whatever text field you are currently working in. ::)

:sk

That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure.

• 4 weeks later...

DSchwartz,

I've had a go at using voice recognition software in the past, and in my opinion the technology just isn't good enough yet for it to be a realistic long term alternative to the humble keyboard.

In the near future we will see Voice Recognition cards in the same way as we have sound cards, dedicated solely to analyzing voices with an onboard processor specifically developed for the task. It will be this sort of thing that will make voice recognition a part of everyday computing, and not the crude "voice training" applications that are available at present.