Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
questionmark

McCain falters in "safe" N. Carolina

5 posts in this topic

October 18, 2008

John McCain's numbers head south even in once-solid Tar Heel state

Martin Fletcher in Burlington and Tim Reid in Roanoke

If there was any doubt just how imperilled John McCain and the Republicans have become in two once-solid Southern bastions, then rallies in North Carolina and Virginia could not have made clearer the scale of the Grand Old Party’s retreat.

In Burlington, North Carolina, a state that has not been won by a Democratic presidential candidate since Jimmy Carter in 1976, a Sarah Palin event delivered humiliation for Elizabeth Dole, who is struggling to hold on to her Senate seat, which has been Republican for 35 years.

A former aide to Presidents Johnson and Nixon, Cabinet Secretary in the Reagan and George H. W. Bush administrations, Red Cross chief, presidential candidate and perennial fixture in the list of the ten most admired women in the US, the 72-year-old senator for North Carolina was reduced to the role of warm-up act for the newest woman star of her party. The right-wing political novice from Alaska is running an insurgent’s campaign against a Washington establishment of which Mrs Dole and her husband Bob are pillars.

Yet Mrs Dole, whose husband lost his White House bid in 1996 to Bill Clinton, had little choice but to piggy-back on the celebrity of Mrs Palin. Despite the huge advantages of incumbency, she is struggling to hold a Senate seat that she won easily in 2002. Were she to lose – she trails her Democratic challenger Kay Hagan by about three points in the polls – it would be a stunning defeat.

Her struggles point to the problems that Mr McCain is having to hold on to this once reliably Republican Southern stronghold that President Bush won by 12 points in 2004. He is in a statistical tie here with Mr Obama, and victory for the Democrat in the Tar Heel State would signal a national landslide.

Mrs Dole reminded the 5,000 Republican faithful who gathered in the baseball field of Elon University that she had broken glass ceilings too. She dutifully praised Mrs Palin – “a marvellous vice-president . . . a brilliant choice” – but left before the running-mate of John McCain arrived. Mrs Palin mentioned Mrs Dole not once.

Meanwhile, hours later in Roanoke, southern Virginia – the gateway to the Appalachian Mountains – thousands of people queued to see Mr Obama. It was an astonishing sight in a state that has not voted for a Democratic presidential nominee since Lyndon Johnson in 1964, but where Mr Obama now leads by at least five points.

“I like his intellect, his youth. He has a vision. McCain is old, and has old ideas,” said Tom Morris, 59, a retired Marine whose son served in Iraq with the US Army.

Full story, source: The Times

The republicans would not be having these problems had they reigned in Bush and Cheney. The new voting generation is largely democratic, having been turned off by Bush, and dont seem to fall for the smear campaigns as well as older generations did. IMO.

The new voting generation is largely democratic.....................

As has always been the case, at least since the early Sixties.

The republicans would not be having these problems had they reigned in Bush and Cheney. The new voting generation is largely democratic, having been turned off by Bush, and dont seem to fall for the smear campaigns as well as older generations did. IMO.

I agree! Dick and W have crippled this country IMO. I truly don't think neither of these rubes can show their face in an "actual public setting" without be rediculed, and I'm being kind. I'm not part of the "new voting generation", I'm a former GOPer that is sick and tired of being sick and tired.

What happened to all those liberals that LOVED McCain, and all those conservatives that thought he was too liberal???

And, are all those conservatives that thought he was too liberal now going for someone even more liberal - Obama?

The polls don't make sense, unless things have really changed that much.

I don't think McCain is liberal, I am just repeating things I heard before he was the nominee for the Republican party.