Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is the Jersey Devil’s range increasing ?

UM-Bot

news icon rNew Jersey’s pine barrens might qualify as the strangest stretch of woods in the world. It is completely out of place, a huge thick pine forest with only a sparse rural population situated among developed and largely urban New Jersey.

The Pine Barrens is just the type of place for a cryptid, and boy does it have one. Of course, I speak of the Jersey Devil.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: Paranormala

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UM-Bot

• lordstanley

• PhoenixBird88

• Crai

Maybe the Jersey Devil is one of those winged horse things from Harry Potter, and only certain people can see them... :lol:

• 1 month later...

The Jersey Devil legend was a hoax written by Ben Franklin in 1732 in his 'Pennsylvania Gazette'. It was meant to be a parody, and mock witch hunts. In 1735 it was published as fact in the 'London Gentleman's Gazette'.

Lapiche

edit: and we never called the Pine Barrens 'Place of the Dragon'. We called it 'Mahkiirac Alowii' which means 'Big Thicket'.

Edited by Piney

• 5 months later...
The Jersey Devil legend was a hoax written by Ben Franklin in 1732 in his 'Pennsylvania Gazette'. It was meant to be a parody, and mock witch hunts. In 1735 it was published as fact in the 'London Gentleman's Gazette'.

Lapiche

edit: and we never called the Pine Barrens 'Place of the Dragon'. We called it 'Mahkiirac Alowii' which means 'Big Thicket'.

I was flipping through forum posts, bored at work...and I tried to follow this up.

Don't suppose you can source this, Piney? I went through The Gazette, and 1732 doesnt appear to have a mention of JD

Pennsylvania Gazette, Jan 3-Dec 30

• 4 months later...

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/showthread.php?p=67755

http://www.aclink.org/HISTORY/mainpages/jerseydevil3.asp

From what I can gather, the stories of the Jersey Devil are related to Ben Franklin because they started after he wrote a fictitious story about a witchcraft trial; he did not write the stories himself about the JD.

This site also explains: http://bunnyfunkitchen.blogspot.com/2009/06/new-jersey-devil-and-you-perfect.html

there's a thread going on in the crypto section at the mo but it basically boils down to

jersey devil the only cryptid not to feature on youtube

p.s. links dead